Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 14/15 Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    Just arrived in Bialka Tatzrasanka in Poland.
    went for a couple of hours night skiing , never felt cold like it! temp said -17 but felt colder.
    So retreated slopeside for pizza and drinks , 3 pizzas , 3 chips , hot chocolate , mulled wine and a pint - €12 :)

Bluebird today so happy days , thermals on , shades on , 1st beer o clock around 11 :)

WOW!! Sounds perfect, enjoy! It makes all the difference when you don't have to think about the price of everything. I will never forget being charged €32 for two large beers in Norway, I nearly fainted!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sallymomo

a148pro wrote: »
    Yeah the food and the people are big for me, just managed to pick up a bottle of the house red from our main apres bar I over there saw it by chance in an offie in Castlebar today, looking forward to opening it some friday night

Sally was it you posting about going to limone, it was predicted to get huge dumps the days I was out, and more now, would have tried it only I had the three days free skiing in cervinia

Madonna and further dolomites on cards now, been to cortina and scenery stunning but snow was bad when I was there

A148pro,
    yep that was me, they got super dumps - as it is so close to the med, when its cold they get huge dumps of snow - the french resort just across the border, Isola 2000, got most coverage in the whole of Europe last year.
    have a look at the webcam here, first few are whiteouts at the moment but 5th/6th are clear and they are at 1400m. It will give you an indication of the amount of snow. 3 weeks tomorrow, can't feckin wait :-) :-)
    http://www.riservabianca.it/webcam-riserva-bianca/

man no plan, nail on the head there about italy. so laid back and the smaller resorts are big enough for my needs as I'm not good enough to be an off pister and thats ok by me! I enjoy the whole experience. I have done the whole package thing before and I prefer the DIY route into less man made places.

Another boardsie is just back from Limone after my recommendation and thoroughly enjoyed it which just makes me happy (a bit like fannymagee's love for Soll, I'm slightly biased too!!)

Enjoy lads, wherever your mecca is! I hope its a late season and those of you that can, go again..

sallymomo wrote: »

Another boardsie is just back from Limone after my recommendation and thoroughly enjoyed it which just makes me happy (a bit like fannymagee's love for Soll, I'm slightly biased too!!)

Enjoy lads, wherever your mecca is! I hope its a late season and those of you that can, go again..

I love a bit of passion- it really brings the different places alive! Limone sounds amazing, and your photos last year were gorgeous. When does the season end there Sallymomo- is it much later than Easter?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sallymomo

fannymagee wrote: »
    I love a bit of passion- it really brings the different places alive! Limone sounds amazing, and your photos last year were gorgeous. When does the season end there Sallymomo- is it much later than Easter?

Completely agree with you there fannymagee! I got a personal email before Christmas from the hotel we normally stay in wishing us a happy christmas and asking for due dates of our baby! Since then the manager has offered personally to babysit when we go in 3 weeks..
    The local restaurants/bars/wine bars always recognise you and take time out to chat and always give extra regardless of what you order..
    We have been told by locals that the tourist board should be bringing us over due to the dumps of snow they get when we are there!!

Season isn't that late, end of April at the max - as I mentioned its quite close to the Med, so when the temps rise, they rise!! The melting is quite rapid..

How late is Soll generally?

Lifts close April 10, so pretty similar. There's no leaving Soll during the season, so I like to keep the eyes and ears open for places to try either before or after the season here ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Take a t-bar or test my fears.

Now I need to do it again.

LOVE IT!! AND you managed to keep hold of your selfie stick?! RESULT! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Is it wrong to look at snow forecast and hope for less snow?

Very much so. Need some fresh powder here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I'm more of a piste skier (and more so this year as my knee is dodgy), so powder is less of a concern for me, but I will obviously be happy with a top up. It's more the snow on Saturday afternoon/night (30cms) I'm concerned about, don't want to spend hours on a bus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

I'm more of a piste skier (and more so this year as my knee is dodgy), so powder is less of a concern for me, but I will obviously be happy with a top up. It's more the snow on Saturday afternoon/night (30cms) I'm concerned about, don't want to spend hours on a bus!

Do what you have to for the greater good. Its unheard of to want less snow, even if said snow is causing difficulty, you want snow and plenty of it.

Now go say three hail Mary's, five our fathers and wash your dirty mind with soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Instant Ban for such thought :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

off to flaine tomorrow.

can't wait. New snow will be great if can get to resort ok.

Anyone know about Gers valley in flaine. An unpisted bowl with black down middle. Sounds great to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

kal7 wrote: »
    off to flaine tomorrow.

can't wait. New snow will be great if can get to resort ok.

Anyone know about Gers valley in flaine. An unpisted bowl with black down middle. Sounds great to me.

Enjoy! The Gers area and the Piste de Cascades area were closed when I was there, but there's plenty more besides. There's a fun snaking area on the Serpentine slope about halfway down to the right of the piste.

And if it's off-piste bowls you want, the best section we did was at the top of the Corbalanche lift, as you're coming up the lift it is to your right, it's a moderate sloped bowl which opens out into a slope between two river gullies and leads back down to the Corbalanche lift. We did that run 3 times in succession, it was perfect for my intermediate off-piste capabilities, bliss... We did that on the Tuesday, the main snowfall was Friday/Saturday and we still managed to get fresh tracks.

Best apres-ski place on the slopes was La Cascade on the red Azurite piste. The auld Chocalat et Alcool are €6.50 but feck it I was fading on Friday afternoon and had 3 of em, set me right I tell ya!

Any questions holler!

P.S. Watch out for the holes and if you want proper off-piste, hire a guide!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Thanks Fobster,

good info, will have to have a chocolat et alcool.

will be getting guide to go proper off piste, especially in crevass filled flaine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Fattes wrote: »
    Powder club in st Anton is €10 a head approx for a days pow skiing with a guide!!!

Sorry lads but dusk tonight is out of this world

Does anyone have a link for what fattes was talking about here? I cqnt find anything about a guidr for 10euro in san anton. Noone on snowheads knows either!?!

Dr Nic is it this?! It's an off-shoot of the Arlberg ski school: http://www.powderclub.at/en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Great photo.:D

It's one of those -

a/ how did I end up here
    b/ how do I get down?

d/ I'm made it down and I'm still alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭khc

fannymagee wrote: »
    Dr Nic is it this?! It's an off-shoot of the Arlberg ski school: http://www.powderclub.at/en.html

That is it. The Powder Club has never been, and isn't €10 for anyone - it's €100

Sorry! It's well worth it though

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭khc

Actually it appears to have gone up since I lived there - €115. Still worth it though - do it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

If you're considering PowderClub @ 115e checkout ABC Snowboarding. It'll be cheaper with a group of 3-4 of ye, Walter is a great guide!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Boo to fattes' absence this thread would have been bumped daily albeit with unnecessary car park snow updates, love it or hate it was a good boost for the forum

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭prunudo

I had noticed it had gone quiet alright. Shame really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

yeah just back myself and catching up , forum lacking minus Fattes.

had a week in Poland , really enjoyed it but some negatives.

Is it always busy at half term? 20 mins to get on the lift , as much as i tried to be chill about it , i ended up feeling stressed with all the crowds.
    Took around 4 days to figure out the quieter runs and lifts and times.
    Wouldnt ever go at that time again.

Also got legs cut from rental boots , had to bandage both legs to ski , my own fault for not changing them earlier but still hurt like hell and affected skiing.
    Think its time to buy my own boots :)

Much more positives , we all improved massively , daughter learned to snowboard. Weather was superb and the views were awe inspiring.Had some of the best meals ever! weighed in 5lbs heavier this morning :) was well worth it though. availed of the spa due to the leg injuries , thats a guilty pleasure ill have to do every trip!

Such a great holiday and we get to go again in 3 weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Mid-term is always going to be busy, but I think things (queue-wise) are getting better these days at least in resorts that invest in their infrastructure.

Back in the day (say 15+ years ago) tales of 30-40-50-60 minute queues just to get on the first lift up from the valley were the norm. In the last 5 years or so I think the most I would have had would have been maybe 20 minutes, with 5-10 the norm. Probably this has as much to do with increased capacity (faster & bigger lifts) than lower numbers.

Once up the top (in a well designed resort) people head off in different directions, so you don't get the same problems at the other lifts. I found this year though that there were two places in particular in Kitzbuhel where massive queues built up at certain times of the day because of the way the runs were laid out - essentially you end up in a dead end where you *must* take the lift out and if there's 500, and at certain times of the day as people started or finished their day they all funneled into these two pits of despair as I ended up calling them. Once I copped on to this issue I avoided these routes entirely.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Yeah its frustrating the lift queues.
    In Poland a run only is around 2km so your down in a couple of minutes , then facing a 20 minute queue to do it all again!
    the lifts are grand , real fancy expensive ones , heated 6 seaters.
    Any other year we have been you ski down and 1 minute max wait time so this was a shocker :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

zagmund wrote: »
    Mid-term is always going to be busy, but I think things (queue-wise) are getting better these days at least in resorts that invest in their infrastructure.

Back in the day (say 15+ years ago) tales of 30-40-50-60 minute queues just to get on the first lift up from the valley were the norm. In the last 5 years or so I think the most I would have had would have been maybe 20 minutes, with 5-10 the norm. Probably this has as much to do with increased capacity (faster & bigger lifts) than lower numbers.

Once up the top (in a well designed resort) people head off in different directions, so you don't get the same problems at the other lifts. I found this year though that there were two places in particular in Kitzbuhel where massive queues built up at certain times of the day because of the way the runs were laid out - essentially you end up in a dead end where you *must* take the lift out and if there's 500, and at certain times of the day as people started or finished their day they all funneled into these two pits of despair as I ended up calling them. Once I copped on to this issue I avoided these routes entirely.

z

just wondering which lifts in kitz you got caught on as have being there and only the lift c1 was jammers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

a148pro wrote: »
    Boo to fattes' absence this thread would have been bumped daily albeit with unnecessary car park snow updates, love it or hate it was a good boost for the forum

Allow me...

So, this is what my office looked like today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

dzer2 wrote: »
    just wondering which lifts in kitz you got caught on as have being there and only the lift c1 was jammers

C1/C2 as you ski off the top of the main lift up from Kitzbuhel is one that catches you in the morning. At least there's a cafe at the bottom of that one.

D7/D1 off the top of the Pengelstein/3S. This one is *ugly*. It's narrow. There's no run out area. In the afternoon the bottom gets pretty bumpy/chopped up/icy/slushy depending on the weather. People heading back to Kitz from up the valley have to come through here. Once you start down this route you are committed unless you like walking uphill.

z

• Advertisement

cormee wrote: »
    Allow me...

So, this is what my office looked like today.

Day 12 for me here so I won't show you my office. ****e weather the last 2 days but managed to find one mountain with some visibility today.

Advertisement