Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need to lose the belly

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

It will work for some people and not for others, you are claiming it will work for all.

Two posts in a row I'm agreeing with you. Steady on!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭niamh.foley

There no such "Diet" that works. you start to lose the weight in the short term but then boom within months its back on..

The word "Diet" should be "Lifestyle" it's a life style in the way i eat and train the word i can't eat this is wrong, as i will make you fail..

I can eat it but know what i don't want it... is more powerful..

Stay away from Fat free products no such thing as Fat Free !! the amount of Sugar that replaced the fat will end up being stored in fat cells..

I normaly have

1 Cup of Coffee before 6am before my Run or Swim,

when i get home at 8am i would have a Fruit Juice, Raw Beet root, 2 Apples, 1 Pear, 1 Lime,1 Lemon, 3 Carrots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Stay away from Fat free products no such thing as Fat Free !! the amount of Sugar that replaced the fat will end up being stored in fat cells..
    You know what else is fat free and fill of sugar
    Fruit Juice, Raw Beet root, 2 Apples, 1 Pear, 1 Lime,1 Lemon, 3 Carrots.

There is a big Difference between having a Fruit Jucie made from raw oragnic furits and having a Can of Coke or a sh*t load of white Bread..

Plus the benefits of having a Fruit juice outweights the sugar that is in the fruit..

Beet Root..
    Lowers Blood Pressure, anti-inflammatory, allows your body to move more Oxygen around that to name a few..

Lime..
    helps Digstion, Skin Care, Constipation, lowers cholestrol and helps arthritis,

if you really wanted to be Anal about it, every thing has sugar in it outside Water and your Leafy Greens. but its about getting the right kind of Sugar into you
    just like complex vs simple carbs

There is a big Difference between having a Fruit Jucie made from raw oragnic furits and having a Can of Coke or a sh*t load of white Bread..

Plus the benefits of having a Fruit juice outweights the sugar that is in the fruit..

Beet Root..
    Lowers Blood Pressure, anti-inflammatory, allows your body to move more Oxygen around that to name a few..

Lime..
    helps Digstion, Skin Care, Constipation, lowers cholestrol and helps arthritis,

if you really wanted to be Anal about it, every thing has sugar in it outside Water and your Leafy Greens. but its about getting the right kind of Sugar into you
    just like complex vs simple carbs
    I never said it was the same as a coke. :confused:

Of course there's other benefits. But it's a big stretch to say they universally outweigh the sugar. They don't imo.

Routinely taking a significant portion of your energy needs with fruit juice is bad plan. I wouldn't be a fan of discarding fibre either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Vet Thrower

Take this or leave it, but I would advise anyone trying to lose weight to weigh themselves very frequently - at least once a day if not every morning and night - using the same scales every time.

If you do this and track the results for any length of time, it will be impossible to remain unaware of which eating habits you need to change.

My meal plan would normally be

5.30 am Wake up
    Coffee or Raw Beet root with Ginger Juice.

6am hit the Road for a 5 or 8 mile run or 6.30 hit the pool for a 2km + Swim

8.00 am have a Fruit Jucie

10.30 am Smoothie, cup of Blueberries, Strawberries, 1 banana and a tea spoon of Spirulina with 300 - 400 ml of Oragnic Milk.

1pm 90g of Oragnic wholewheat Pasta with 100g of Chicken and baby spinach

3.30 - 4 have a Yogurt

5.30 - 7.30 Gym Classes or Bike Ride.

8pm i would have Dinner that could be anything really. with half the plate full of greens.

i feel no Bad effect from fruit juice or taken smoothies..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Take this or leave it, but I would advise anyone trying to lose weight to weigh themselves very frequently - at least once a day if not every morning and night - using the same scales every time.

If you do this and track the results for any length of time, it will be impossible to remain unaware of which eating habits you need to change.

Today I got up weighted myself went and had my breakfast weighted myself again and was .6kg heavier. Had a poo and weighted myself again and was .7kg lighter. Had a coffee and water weighted myself again was .4kg heavier. Had a piss and weighted myself again and was .3kgs lighter. Was going for a jog so weighted myself naked and was 1.3 kgs lighter. So take that or leave it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It makes absolutely no sense to weigh yourself more than once in a day.

• Advertisement

True or even every day at that,,

The only Time i weigh my self twice a day would before a Triathlon Race and after the race.

Today I got up weighted myself went and had my breakfast weighted myself again and was .6kg heavier. Had a poo and weighted myself again and was .7kg lighter. Had a coffee and water weighted myself again was .4kg heavier. Had a piss and weighted myself again and was .3kgs lighter. Was going for a jog so weighted myself naked and was 1.3 kgs lighter. So take that or leave it.

Thanks for that, smart guy. I didn't advise anyone to weight themselves though.

Many people end up overweight because they decide they don't want to know. They don't look at a scales and they don't look in the mirror. I would bet that most people who are overweight got that way through overeating and eating junk, and not through eating too much paleo food or whatever. These people need to break bad habits more than anything else.

I find weighing myself very frequently means there is nowhere to hide. It makes me aware that everything I eat has an effect, and it makes me think before I eat.

Although some obvious patterns do emerge - e.g. weight gain at weekends, weight loss during the week, etc. - this is meant mainly as a psychological tool, not an analytical one.

Many people end up overweight because they decide they don't want to know. They don't look at a scales and they don't look in the mirror. I would bet that most people who are overweight got that way through overeating and eating junk, and not through eating too much paleo food or whatever. These people need to break bad habits more than anything else.

I find weighing myself very frequently means there is nowhere to hide. It makes me aware that everything I eat has an effect, and it makes me think before I eat.

Although some obvious patterns do emerge - e.g. weight gain at weekends, weight loss during the week, etc. - this is meant mainly as a psychological tool, not an analytical one.

Weighing yourself more than once a day will do more psychological harm than good.

Weekly is more than enough to get into a habit of checking and not let things go if you need to lose it.

The only time you need to weigh yourself twice in one day is if you know you're going to have an epic dump, in which case irt's your duty to do a before and after weigh-in.

Weighing yourself more than once a day will do more psychological harm than good.

Weekly is more than enough to get into a habit of checking and not let things go if you need to lose it.

The only time you need to weigh yourself twice in one day is if you know you're going to have an epic dump, in which case irt's your duty to do a before and after weigh-in.

Every overweight person understands the mechanics of losing weight, just like every smoker knows what giving up smoking is.

The difficulty is not in figuring out the procedure; it is in sticking to it.

You're speaking in absolutes above, as if you had definitively proven an objective truth, and there are clear right and wrong approaches to diet adherence.

I think it is pretty obvious that this is not the case, otherwise nobody would have a weight problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Every overweight person understands the mechanics of losing weight, just like every smoker knows what giving up smoking is.

You're speaking in absolutes above, as if you had definitively proven an objective truth, and there are clear right and wrong approaches to diet adherence.

I think it is pretty obvious that this is not the case, otherwise nobody would have a weight problem.

You mean the mechanics of losing fat, right? Weighing yourself more than once a week is pointless.

• Advertisement

I speak in absolutes only in saying that it makes absolutely no sense to weigh yourself more than once a day.

How useful is it to someone to weigh themselves first thing and then see their weight has gone up after dinner?

Perhaps you'd like to explain the benefits of that?

You mean the mechanics of losing fat, right? Weighing yourself more than once a week is pointless.

My point is the following:

People become overweight through developing bad eating habits. In order for them to lose weight, they have to eliminate those bad habits. Many people are in denial about these bad habits. The purpose of frequent weighing is to force them out of this denial.

Can you recognise this pattern, for example?

Someone is 'on a diet' but giving themselves frequent treats for being so good. E.g. they are strict during the week, but go out on the piss all weekend, or they starve themselves all day and then eat a packet of biscuits before bed.

They weigh themselves once a week and say I can't understand why this diet isn't working, or my personal trainer is useless, I'm going to get a new one. Etc.

I speak in absolutes only in saying that it makes absolutely no sense to weigh yourself more than once a day.

How useful is it to someone to weigh themselves first thing and then see their weight has gone up after dinner?

Perhaps you'd like to explain the benefits of that?

If they do it just once, then there is no point.

If they do it on a consistent basis, they will notice that they gain weight when they eat too much, or eat the wrong things, and they will know which habits they need to change in order to lose weight.

If they do it on a consistent basis, they will notice that they gain weight when they eat too much, or eat the wrong things, and they will know which habits they need to change in order to lose weight.

Giving the fluctuations in bodyweight during a typical day, not sure what is to be learnt by doing it so often.

I weigh heaviest when in middle of doing enormous amounts of exercise and eating less than I'm burning in that day. I weigh lightest after a couple of sedentary days eating like a pig.

Inflammation, fluid retention, who knows.

Find a scales an overrated tool to be honest

Your weight gain after a meal isn't a reflection on the quality of their meal so I still don't see any point in doing it. Pizza might weigh less than a plate of chicken with broccoli and cauliflower and a half litre of water.

• Advertisement

ford2600 wrote: »
    Giving the fluctuations in bodyweight during a typical day, not sure what is to be learnt by doing it so often.

I weigh heaviest when in middle of doing enormous amounts of exercise and eating less than I'm burning in that day. I weigh lightest after a couple of sedentary days eating like a pig.

Inflammation, fluid retention, who knows.

Find a scales an overrated tool to be honest

It's not primarily meant as an analytical tool. I'm suggesting it as a psychological tool for people looking to break bad eating habits. E.g. if you have just had a healthy dinner and are tempted to open a tub of Ben & Jerry's, the fact that you know you'll be stepping on the scales an hour later can be enough to put you off.

From an analytical point of view though, I have found some benefits. I found that I was losing weight during the week, and putting it back on at the weekend. I would typically have a few drinks every Friday and Saturday night and would overeat accordingly. So I decided to go on the dry and that this would solve everything.

But I found that I was still gaining weight every weekend, and my weight loss was happening during the week. This forced me to face the fact that I had substituted the alcohol with eating loads of crap. I was feeling so virtuous that I was rewarding myself with pizza, take out etc, and I was also drinking loads of cans of coke etc during the day. So I cut this out, and began seeing results after just one weekend.

This sounds really stupid written down in black and white. If you're looking to be the next Mr Olympia and already have a clean diet, then this is not going to be any use to you. I'm directing this at the average slob like me, whose battle is with himself.

It's not primarily meant as an analytical tool. I'm suggesting it as a psychological tool for people looking to break bad eating habits. E.g. if you have just had a healthy dinner and are tempted to open a tub of Ben & Jerry's, the fact that you know you'll be stepping on the scales an hour later can be enough to put you off.

People get used to weighing heavier after food so the effect of the ice cream is lost. "Sure of course I'm heavier - I just ate".

I think it is fairly well accepted that an overweight person trying to get to a healthy weight is predominantly trying to lose body fat and gain lean muscle mass.

A scales can often tell this person they have gained weight when both markers may actually have improved.

Other limitations of daily measuring have already been mentioned.

If it works as a help for you then who am I to say otherwise. Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Every overweight person understands the mechanics of losing weight

This is 100% not true. Most overweight people haven't a clue what it takes to lose weight. I used to be one of them.

Your weight gain after a meal isn't a reflection on the quality of their meal so I still don't see any point in doing it. Pizza might weigh less than a plate of chicken with broccoli and cauliflower and a half litre of water.

The point is not to look at measurements in isolation - e.g. I consumed 700g of food and excreted 750g therefore this is good - but to become aware of your own eating patterns and which ones you need to change.

E.g. you might learn that lasagne night each Tuesday is hindering your diet. You either eliminate it, or cut down your portion sizes, or if you can't do without it, then you cut somewhere else.

If you're just taking loads of measurements, any analysis is useless. But if you are looking at trends and analysing the impact of changes you make, then it has value.

The point is not to look at measurements in isolation - e.g. I consumed 700g of food and excreted 750g therefore this is good - but to become aware of your own eating patterns and which ones you need to change.

E.g. you might learn that lasagne night each Tuesday is hindering your diet. You either eliminate it, or cut down your portion sizes, or if you can't do without it, then you cut somewhere else.

If you're just taking loads of measurements, any analysis is useless. But if you are looking at trends and analysing the impact of changes you make, then it has value.

So how does multiple measurements a day help make that analysis?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CapricornOne

I consumed 700g of food and excreted 750g

Hopefully not simultaneously:eek:

So how does multiple measurements a day help make that analysis?

As I have said, it is more a psychological tool than an analytical one.

Look, this isn't something that I can prove definitively, any more than you prove that I am wrong.

Losing weight is a process of giving up bad habits / addictions, which is very difficult psychologically. Denial is a feature of all addictions, which have a way of cloaking themselves and convincing us to avoid reality and retreat into the comfort of the addiction.

I am simply proposing a method that helps keep me honest and grounded in reality. It works for me and may work for someone else.

As I have said, it is more a psychological tool than an analytical one.

Look, this isn't something that I can prove definitively, any more than you prove that I am wrong.

Losing weight is a process of giving up bad habits / addictions, which is very difficult psychologically. Denial is a feature of all addictions, which have a way of cloaking themselves and convincing us to avoid reality and retreat into the comfort of the addiction.

I am simply proposing a method that helps keep me honest and grounded in reality. It works for me and may work for someone else.

I'm not trying to prove you wrong. But if someone is making the effort to eat healthily and they decide to eat a tub of ice cream, there's a pretty good chance they'll justify it to themselves. There's also the risk of getting addicted to or fixated on the number on the scales. I just don't think it's advisable but look, it worked for you and fair play.

E.g. you might learn that lasagne night each Tuesday is hindering your diet .

This idea is massively flawed.
    Weight loss/gain isn't instantaneous. If you eat bad food you won't be automatically heavier than eating a healthy meal.

Somebody eats lasagne every Tuesday. They are a few hundred grams on the scales. If they ate roast veg and chicken breast, they'd also see the sane weight gain. There is nothing to track.

Even if it was instant, a steady fat loss would be 50g per day. There's no way you can see this on the scales, far too much other stuff going on.
    What ever weight gain you say at the weekend wasn't fat gain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Valkyrie1

First post, but this thread interests me so here goes.... as I've being losing weight for the past number of 5 years..(8 stone so far with about a stone to go).

My diet/exercise program changed as my weight changed, but you WILL lose muscle fibre as well as subcutaneous fat . Low carbs intake was the starting point (for me), 6 small meals a day, Modest portion sizes (which can be deceptive in getting subconsciously bigger as you metabolism adjusts to the reduced sugar intake).

Foods I use regularly are Almonds, flaxseed, Greek yoghurt, eggs, salmon, chicken, certain veg, sweet potatoes, brown rice, peppers, lean meat, kiwi, avocados, blueberries, dark chocolate (min 85% cacao) etc, etc...

I found the monthly mens health/fitness magazines fantastic for tips and for direction.

To especially target the midriff fat, I found both a running and free weight program, coupled with foods specifically for keeping your metabolism constantly fired up.

Again my thoughts just from my experience and in no way definitive....

Btw I won't take offence if you disagree, as we're all are ectomorph, endomorph, or lucky enough to be mesomorphs!

Flogging a dead horse perhaps, but I happened to come across a reference to the benefits of daily weighing for weight loss. The study that it is based upon is linked below.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16336072

Author information

• 1Division of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, Minneapolis 55454-1015, USA. linde@epi.umn.edu

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Although self-monitoring is a central tenet of behavioral approaches to changing health behavior, clinical and public health recommendations for better controlling body weight do not emphasize weight self-monitoring.
    PURPOSE:

The objective was to determine whether more frequent self-weighing exerts a positive influence on weight loss or weight gain prevention.
    METHODS:

This study examined cross-sectional and longitudinal associations between self-weighing frequency and weight in two distinct groups: 1,226 adults who were enrolled in a weight gain prevention trial, and 1,800 adults who were enrolled in a weight loss trial.
    RESULTS:

Although the samples differed significantly in weight and baseline demographic characteristics, the distribution of baseline weighing frequencies did not differ by study. In both groups, more frequent self-weighing at baseline was associated with greater age, lower fat intake, White ethnicity, current nonsmoking status, a greater history of dieting to lose weight, and lower current body mass index. Despite similar weighing instructions, differential patterns of weighing frequency over time were observed: Weight loss dieters increased weighing over time regardless of treatment group (control or intervention), whereas weight gain preventers decreased weighing over time in the control group and increased weighing over time in intervention groups. Most important, higher weighing frequency was associated with greater 24-month weight loss or less weight gain.
    CONCLUSIONS:

Results support the idea that daily weighing is valuable to individuals trying to lose weight or prevent weight gain. Daily self-weighing should be emphasized in clinical and public health messages about weight control. Experimental studies on the effects of weighing frequency in these contexts are recommended.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I would be a big proponent of daily / very frequent weighing. Its important to only analyse the results over a longer period though. It will be all over the place based on carb intake / hydration / training / time of day. But over a 2-4 week period it should be trending up or down inline with your goals

conzy wrote: »
    I would be a big proponent of daily / very frequent weighing. Its important to only analyse the results over a longer period though.

Therein lies the problem for a lot of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I would be a fan of never weighing yourself.

Calipers give a far better indication of weight loss

conzy wrote: »
    I would be a big proponent of daily / very frequent weighing. Its important to only analyse the results over a longer period though. It will be all over the place based on carb intake / hydration / training / time of day. But over a 2-4 week period it should be trending up or down inline with your goals

I probably didn't make myself clear. I am not saying that I weigh myself after eating a meal or going to the jacks and record each result as a win or a loss.

I've been doing this for several months now. Because I have tracked it closely, I can see a clear pattern in the fluctuations that repeats itself each week. It's not all over the place.

For example, I am at my lightest on a Friday morning (99.9kg today!), and so I have made this my benchmark / target for each week.

Because I know what my personal pattern of fluctuations should look like in a week, I know when I weigh myself on a Tuesday morning, for example, whether I am on target for Friday morning or not.

If I was on track on Monday morning, and was not on track by Tuesday morning, I know that something I did on Monday derailed me.

I'm not coming at this from the point of view of someone who is already on a clean diet that they are sticking to. I had a lot of bad habits, and spent several weeks gradually phasing them out. Being able to see that each change I made produced results helped me greatly with staying on track.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I would be a fan of never weighing yourself.

Calipers give a far better indication of weight loss

I know what you are saying, but there are an awful lot of people who just want to look good with their clothes on. Clothes size and numbers on a scale are much more meaningful to them than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

When cutting fat, I am a strong believer in weighing yourself daily, but only if you're the type of person who can deal with disappointment :-)

Daily weigh-ins allow you to learn a lot about your body - you will see that some days you will be down 2 lbs, others up 2 lbs and many days not move at all. It's how I learned about the idea of "squishy fat".
    As weight loss is not linear and is more of a series of bumps, you learn that if you are "only down 1lb since last week" that it could be a "bump" or you're diet is not as good as you thought it was. This could either dishearten you as it appears the scales are not going down or more importantly allow you go another week before confirming your diet is not all that.
    If I am "down a pound" since my weigh in yesterday, it also gives me encouragement to have a good diet today to make sure I lock in that new weight or strive for more.

I also don't really buy into the theories of don't use a scales and just use a mirror or using calipers as an accurate measure.
    With a mirror:
    break-the-blocks-1.jpg

And with the scales, unless you have a good calipers and are adept at using it, the variation can be significant, as well as the changes in your body take longer to confirm.

And remember, we are talking about people who are trying to make a significant change in their appearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I know what you are saying, but there are an awful lot of people who just want to look good with their clothes on. Clothes size and numbers on a scale are much more meaningful to them than anything else.

How though? How do people equate I want to be slimmer ergo I need to lose 5 pounds?

I would bet in most cases the answer is they can't and their estimations are way off, either unobtainable goals or obtainable goals which doesn't meet their expectations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 averageswim

Interesting discussion on weighing oneself every day. I have to agree this is the way forward. Since I left college 8 years ago have been gradually gaining weight. I never weighed myself on a regular basis believing that I looked fine in the mirror. It got to the point where I couldn't face the scales but finding out my weight on a sporadic basis so much so that I am now nearly 4 stone heavier than I was in college.

I had a mental twig earlier this summer and realised something had to be done. I find that weighing myself every day is making me accountable to myself and myself only. Yes it is incredibly frustrating to find that 1) scales staying on same mark for days on end 2) two or three pounds up in space of 24 hours but this is about me facing the scales and my battle with the weight and I find this sort of accountability does help me to stay on track.

As for the belly I would love a flat belly but like other posters suggested and do agree with them you need to lose the weight first and then work on that particular problem area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

Interesting discussion on weighing oneself every day. I have to agree this is the way forward.

I think the scales are useful for someone who has a fat loss target, but only in conjunction with an exercise plan and a strict calorie-controlled diet (ensuring you eat enough calories per day, as well as not too much).

Obsessing over variations of a couple of pounds from one day to another is a problem, particularly if it encourages people to skip meals. Similarly, people should realise when they are on a binge (half a pack of biscuits with a cup of tea, takeaways 3-4 nights a week) without having to stand on the scales every day.

I've done the dieting lifestyle, but when you have no real target it can be demotivating when the weight stops dropping and you start feeling low on energy. In the end, it's too easy to go back to comfort eating, or possibly worse, to continue dieting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Interesting discussion on weighing oneself every day. I have to agree this is the way forward.

I don't follow. I've put on weight in the last few months since I started weight training so on paper I'm getting bigger, yet I've never looked better as it's muscle not fat.
    I don't weight myself anymore, my progress or lack of can be seen in the mirror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Jason1984 wrote: »
    I don't follow. I've put on weight in the last few months since I started weight training so on paper I'm getting bigger, yet I've never looked better as it's muscle not fat.
    I don't weight myself anymore, my progress or lack of can be seen in the mirror.

How much weight are you putting on in a month?

Advertisement