Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why the obsession with squats and deadlifts?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    How long does it take you guys to recover after doing squats? I can barely walk for 2-3 days afterwards. Recovery seems to be so slow compared to other body parts.

How often do you squat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

every pro bodybuilder has juiced, anyone who denies this is ignorant to the game

I'm pretty sure nobody denies it. And everybody knows it.

The fact remains that even with a truck load of hormoneboosteroids the vast majority of dudes are never going to get that strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

How often do you squat?

Not that often really, maybe once a fortnight, sometimes once a week.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Not that often really, maybe once a fortnight, sometimes once a week.

That why's you're getting DOMS so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,733 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

conzy wrote: »
    While there is no doubt that Mr Olympias are steroid enhanced.. How long before you could deadlift 800lb with the help of steroids?

Dunno, wouldn't put that sh1t in my body

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

That why's you're getting DOMS so.

Yeah I thought that might be the reason alright. I've been focusing more on cardio lately using the exercise bike, so I haven't been doing the squats as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

For me whats quite annoying now is the amount of women squatting and deadlifting .......................... getting ridiculous in the gyms

It's great to see more women moving away from doing hours of cardio and moving over to the barbel section. And they are usually a much better laugh than some of the male tools who go around checking out there biceps in mirrors for half their session.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,051 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

nowt ...........my opinion is my own...........................sick of fat assed women thinking its some how healthy to have an ass like a dumper truck
    Given your username, the above is quite ironic.

I expected you'd be more than this creep guy
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90245674&postcount=2432
    Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Dunno, wouldn't put that sh1t in my body

It's already in your body. In your balls :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Most people you see doing them looking like crap. You see so much people doing squats these days because of the whole non lifters seeing some ripped brah in shorts where you can only see his ankles and coming out with the 'do u even squat, bro?':rolleyes:
    However its the biggest broscience going that doing squats will lead to growth all over. They are a good exercise but no more important than any other srs.
    tumblr_m8gdfu7hVM1qzzx9e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Most people you see doing them looking like crap. You see so much people doing squats these days because of the whole non lifters seeing some ripped brah in shorts where you can only see his ankles and coming out with the 'do u even squat, bro?':rolleyes:
    However its the biggest broscience going that doing squats will lead to growth all over. They are a good exercise but no more important than any other srs.
    clueless post.
    do some Leg Press & Leg Extension if u want to mess up your joints.
    Squats & Deadlifts are by far the best compound exercises as they work every muscle & are very good for your joints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Wow, it's amazing what steroids can do

Hang on ill stick a bit of test in me, 800lb deadlift here I come :D

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

every pro bodybuilder has juiced, anyone who denies this is ignorant to the game

Not just bodybuilding, ever single physical sport that gives you the opportunity to earn money from being the best you can be sure steroids are involved. Hate this rubbish oh only big lads are on are it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,733 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

chriity139 wrote: »
    Hang on ill stick a bit of test in me, 800lb deadlift here I come :D

Best of luck. Keep training hard and inject as much as you possibly can and you'll reach your goal

• Registered Users Posts: 36,143 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

nowt ...........my opinion is my own...........................sick of fat assed women thinking its some how healthy to have an ass like a dumper truck

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you suggesting that women should stick to light dumbell work and cardio for 'toning'? Please enlighten us on your strength training tips for girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you suggesting that women should stick to light dumbell work and cardio for 'toning'? Please enlighten us on your strength training tips for girls.

Ah would you give him a break. I've no problem with women in the weights section but you can quickly tell the difference between those that mean business and the ones who are there because squatting and deadlifting are 'in' and wouldn't mind a load of fellas getting a good look at their arse in the process. The same women have done no research on the topic and can be seen squatting 20kg for weeks on end. I find it funny how we can all have a good laugh/whine about the 'bros' in gym curling in the squat rack and wasting people's time but when someone complains about a woman doing the equivalent the pitchforks come out.

Ah would you give him a break. I've no problem with women in the weights section but you can quickly tell the difference between those that mean business and the ones who are there because squatting and deadlifting are 'in' and wouldn't mind a load of fellas getting a good look at their arse in the process. The same women have done no research on the topic and can be seen squatting 20kg for weeks on end. I find it funny how we can all have a good laugh/whine about the 'bros' in gym curling in the squat rack and wasting people's time but when someone complains about a woman doing the equivalent the pitchforks come out.

The difference is that he does have a problem with women squatting and deadlifting.

There was no mention of it being the equivalent of curling in the squat rack. Just that women who don't have an ass that he likes the shape of should be squatting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I find it funny how we can all have a good laugh/whine about the 'bros' in gym curling in the squat rack and wasting people's time but when someone complains about a woman doing the equivalent the pitchforks come out.

Curls can be done anywhere. By doing them in the squat rack you're interfering with other people who wants to use it unnecessarily. It's a dick move for no real reason.

And you say a woman is wasting peoples time by using the correct piece of equipment? Just because she's not pushing a weight you deem acceptable? Get off your high horse there mate. Just because someone is trying something new and doesn't have your (apparently) very strong squatting ability doesn't mean they have any less of a right to be there.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Curls can be done anywhere. By doing them in the squat rack you're interfering with other people who wants to use it unnecessarily. It's a dick move for no real reason.

And you say a woman is wasting peoples time by using the correct piece of equipment? Just because she's not pushing a weight you deem acceptable? Get off your high horse there mate. Just because someone is trying something new and doesn't have your (apparently) very strong squatting ability doesn't mean they have any less of a right to be there.

It means that she hasn't done any research. If you don't see a problem with someone squatting the same weight for weeks on end then I've nothing more to say if I'm honest. I like the fact that you attacked me as a person as well, it makes for a really classy post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

It means that she hasn't done any research. If you don't see a problem with someone squatting the same weight for weeks on end then I've nothing more to say if I'm honest. I like the fact that you attacked me as a person as well, it makes for a really classy post.

Why are you stalking the girl? Can you not just go to the gym and do your own thing instead of criticizing someone else's routine?

The same people are in the gym with me every morning. Do I know what weights they are squatting? Hell no! Why? CAUSE I DO MY OWN THING AND DON'T LOOK AT OTHER PEOPLE!

If you don't see a problem with someone squatting the same weight for weeks on end then I've nothing more to say

Good stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

My OH has spent months working on mobility, BW and Goblet squats and over the past few weeks has finally started doing Back squats in the rack and loves it. Squats and deadlifts are her favorite exercises.

Why are you stalking the girl? Can you not just go to the gym and do your own thing instead of criticizing someone else's routine?

The same people are in the gym with me every morning. Do I know what weights they are squatting? Hell no! Why? CAUSE I DO MY OWN THING AND DON'T LOOK AT OTHER PEOPLE!

I wasn't criticizing their routine nor am I stalking anyone. I was expressing the fact that I can see, to some extent, where the other poster was coming from. Judging by some of the responses here you'd think I have been vehemently insisting that all women to bugger off to the cardio section where they belong. I acknowledged that a lot of women mean business and I have no problem with that, exactly the same way I would view other men in the gym. If someone seems to be wasting time we're entitled to a whine, be they male or female. What's wrong with that?
    Blacktie. wrote: »
    Good stuff

I was implying that the girls who are doing it properly engage in resistance training with progressive overload. What you took home from my post is that I'm a) A condescending dick and b) think I'm extremely strong which is essentially an ad hominem attack with no reference to the content of the post itself. If you want to discuss the issue at hand, mainly that women are not being adequately educated about weights (be it from trainers in gyms/women's fitness magazines or otherwise), then feel free.. If you want to engage in a childish exchange of moronic pseudo-intellectual remarks so you can get "thanked" then by all means you should also feel free, just don't expect a response.

I was expressing the fact that I can see, to some extent, where the other poster was coming from. Judging by some of the responses here you'd think I have been vehemently insisting that all women to bugger off to the cardio section where they belong. I acknowledged that a lot of women mean business and I have no problem with that, exactly the same way I would view other men in the gym.

There was nothing in the other poster's post that suggested they had an issue with women using a squat rack despite not knowing what they were doing or being educated enough on training for squats or deadlifts.
    sick of fat assed women thinking its some how healthy to have an ass like a dumper truck

There was nothing in the other poster's post that suggested they had an issue with women using a squat rack despite not knowing what they were doing or being educated enough on training for squats or deadlifts.

Yeah I know, I already thanked the post where you pointed it out. I may have misinterpreted the users intentions but whatever I misinterpreted it as I will maintain as my view.

I wasn't criticizing their routine nor am I stalking anyone. I was expressing the fact that I can see, to some extent, where the other poster was coming from. Judging by some of the responses here you'd think I have been vehemently insisting that all women to bugger off to the cardio section where they belong. I acknowledged that a lot of women mean business and I have no problem with that, exactly the same way I would view other men in the gym. If someone seems to be wasting time we're entitled to a whine, be they male or female. What's wrong with that?

Are you not implying that casual gym goers are just in your way here?
    I was implying that the girls who are doing it properly engage in resistance training with progressive overload. What you took home from my post is that I'm a) A condescending dick and b) think I'm extremely strong which is essentially an ad hominem attack with no reference to the content of the post itself. If you want to discuss the issue at hand, mainly that women are not being adequately educated about weights (be it from trainers in gyms/women's fitness magazines or otherwise), then feel free.. If you want to engage in a childish exchange of moronic pseudo-intellectual remarks so you can get "thanked" then by all means you should also feel free, just don't expect a response.

Can you not see how your post is coming across as a dick comment? You're saying girls don't belong in squat racks because they're not doing it the same way as you. Even ignoring the girl part it's a dick comment. On point b it was just a passing remark based on you referring to the others as weak. I wouldn't look too far into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

If someone seems to be wasting time we're entitled to a whine, be they male or female. What's wrong with that?

Just because you think they are wasting their time doesn't mean they actually are though does it? For all you know they could be recovering from an injury.

But even still. The fact that you know that people are using the same weight every week is weird.

Are you one of these gym lerkers?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

This thread is increasingly unproductive. I'm locking it before it gets worse.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement