Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why the obsession with squats and deadlifts?

Options
  • 05-05-2014 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭

Most people you see doing them looking like crap. You see so much people doing squats these days because of the whole non lifters seeing some ripped brah in shorts where you can only see his ankles and coming out with the 'do u even squat, bro?':rolleyes:
    However its the biggest broscience going that doing squats will lead to growth all over. They are a good exercise but no more important than any other srs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm assuming because they're down in weight-lifting folklore as "whole body workouts", some people think that only doing squats will work out their entire body?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Most people you see doing them looking like crap.

Are you serious? Anyone serious about bodybuilding or building a well balanced muscular body does heavy squats and deads.

And to answer your question theiy're a compound movement that requires the use of a large amount of muscles. More muscle used>greater growth potential. It also helps that you can push big numbers and increase them in a fairly steady rate at the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Of course squats and deadlifts are good, you're judging them by the people you see at the gym 'not looking good'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Most people you see doing them looking like crap.

Excuse you. I look GREEEAT :D:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Why the obsession with how others look in the gym?

Squats and Dealifts are both great exercises for many reasons. So I'll ask you, why wouldn't you do them?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,195 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

• Registered Users Posts: 24,562 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You're just phoning in your trolling now, Eden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

Excuse you. I look GREEEAT :D:D

inr2QdwduXuCH.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

The only people worse than the "you gotta squat bro" brigade are the "don't squat cos everyone says you have to bro" team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Hanley wrote: »
    The only people worse than the "you gotta squat bro" brigade are the "don't squat cos everyone says you have to bro" team.

Bro, do you even lift?
    tumblr_inline_mh5brhksN51qg1vd7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

For me whats quite annoying now is the amount of women squatting and deadlifting .......................... getting ridiculous in the gyms

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

For me whats quite annoying now is the amount of women squatting and deadlifting .......................... getting ridiculous in the gyms

What's it to you if I squat or deadlift :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

Maybe the people you see are new to lifting, there are lots of squats and deadlifts in starting strength for example, which is a program that a lot of people do starting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Power fcuking too them!

For me whats quite annoying now is the amount of women squatting and deadlifting better than me......................... getting ridiculous in the gyms

FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Bleedin' women, coming to our gyms, using our squat racks :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

The OP's question seems to be why is there so much more focus on squats and deadlifts than on the plenty of other equally as effective similar exercises.

If that's the question, I guess it's because they are very simple movements (relatively) and use a lot of muscle in one go. Maybe other movements don't, as much.

whirlpool wrote: »
    The OP's question seems to be why is there so much more focus on squats and deadlifts than on the plenty of other equally as effective similar exercises.

If that's the question, I guess it's because they are very simple movements (relatively) and use a lot of muscle in one go. Maybe other movements don't, as much.

The OP just likes trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I cannot Squat or Deadlift now due to a slipped disc and i must admit i do miss them

bluewolf wrote: »
    What's it to you if I squat or deadlift :confused:

nowt ...........my opinion is my own...........................sick of fat assed women thinking its some how healthy to have an ass like a dumper truck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Wow, it's amazing what steroids can do

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

I'm happy there are people like Hanley who teach women how to squat and deadlift!!!
    Nothing as empowering as lifting truly heavy stuff =)
    BTW deadlifts are my favourite

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Wow, it's amazing what steroids can do

While there is no doubt that Mr Olympias are steroid enhanced.. How long before you could deadlift 800lb with the help of steroids?

conzy wrote: »
    While there is no doubt that Mr Olympias are steroid enhanced.. How long before you could deadlift 800lb with the help of steroids?

every pro bodybuilder has juiced, anyone who denies this is ignorant to the game

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Brian? wrote: »
    Why the obsession with how others look in the gym?

Squats and Dealifts are both great exercises for many reasons. So I'll ask you, why wouldn't you do them?

Is it because they're ... hard....?

every pro bodybuilder has juiced, anyone who denies this is ignorant to the game

"Is this a 'roid rage I see before me?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

nowt ...........my opinion is my own...........................sick of fat assed women thinking its some how healthy to have an ass like a dumper truck

Hey look if men didn't like it Sir Mix A Lot wouldn't have made a song about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

You can have all the chicken butts you want , no-one is stopping you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

How long does it take you guys to recover after doing squats? I can barely walk for 2-3 days afterwards. Recovery seems to be so slow compared to other body parts.

• Advertisement

I'd be a little stiff the next day but the DOMS would be very light... Any variation in foot position can change that, though. It probably depends on how often you squat. More frequently = less DOMS.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement