Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School has not one Irish pupil enrolling this year

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Intothesea

I would see this occurence as a strong symbol of the
    innocent/idealistic/laissez-faire approach to immigration
    that exists in Ireland. It might not be typical but
    certainly spells out a potential for inadvertent cultural
    ghettoism. Given the scale and texture of our social fabric,
    I wouldn't like to see the results of this type of neglect.
    More mindfully controlled immigrant acceptance and integration
    is the best anyone can do to be fair to all parties, IMO.

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Ok.So you continue to insult me.:rolleyes: Typical childish behaviour.Must be sad to be you ya.

IMO

Good response. Way to dodge the salient points. Go team you.

Also, learn to use the space bar ya.

Irish kids are lazy. Irish parents don't give a crap anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Good response. Way to dodge the salient points. Go team you.

Also, learn to use the space bar ya.

Thanks for the tip shifty.Here's one for you.Stop using insults to make your point.It's what twelve year olds do at playtime.You are older than twelve arent you?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

farohar wrote: »
    If they're born here they're Irish, regardless of where their parents were from.
    Saruman wrote: »
    As little kitten said, most of the kids ARE Irish! They were born here, grew up here so they are Irish. The fact their parents might be from another country do not alter the fact they are Irish.
    This is incorrect. As per the referendum in 2004, children born in Ireland to non Irish parents are no longer considered to be Irish citizens or entitled to the priveleges of residency, nor are their parents.

This law was changed due to widespread abuse, and the 18,000 or so non national families who were here under that law avoided deportation because it would have been extremely expensive to do so, so an amnesty was issued.

With that said, I have a great deal of confidence in the ability of the Irish culture to absorb immigrants. Irish culture is warm, welcoming and community orientated, a powerful combination that retains its integrity throughout the world, wherever the Irish go.

If I thought that immigrants were going to be a disruptive influence, forming ghettoes and cliques, or not contributing to their adoptive nation, I would have much more of a problem with them.

Ultimately they will become Irish, in spirit and in deed, so unless you have some ballsack notions about them being genetically inferior or some such nonsense, I can't see how anyone would have a problem with them. I do feel that further immigration should be severely reduced, however. There is a limit to how much the country can assimilate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

i dont really see the problem really here? Is there actually a problem. Is it because they're black or simply because they're not white?

Bahh, theres no issue here in my opinion.

.. just dont leave yer bike unattended.

They like bikes.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭LaVidaLoca

It was amazing to me: The Irish kids were almost universally, lazy, rude, violent, stupid and totally uninterested in anything put slagging/hitting each other.

The foreign kids I taught (Iraqi, Japanese, Filipino, Korean, Polish, Nigerian) would always do their homework and sit quietly in their seats listening to you, disgusted at the behaviour of the kids all around them. As the Irish kids were not scared of anything, including their parents, and were begging you to expel them, there was nothing you could do about it.

If I ever teach again in an Irish school, which I doubt I will, I would do my best to get sent to one that has the highest possible percentage of foreign kids, as would any teacher who would like to avoid a heart-attack by the age of 35.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭FreedomJoe

Irish kids are lazy. Irish parents don't give a crap anymore.

Immigrant kids are lazy. Immigrant parents don`t give a crap anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭FreedomJoe

LaVidaLoca wrote: »
    It was amazing to me: The Irish kids were almost universally, lazy, rude, violent, stupid and totally uninterested in anything put slagging/hitting each other.

The foreign kids I taught (Iraqi, Japanese, Filipino, Korean, Polish, Nigerian) would always do their homework and sit quietly in their seats listening to you, disgusted at the behaviour of the kids all around them. As the Irish kids were not scared of anything, including their parents, and were begging you to expel them, there was nothing you could do about it.

If I ever teach again in an Irish school, which I doubt I will, I would do my best to get sent to one that has the highest possible percentage of foreign kids, as would any teacher who would like to avoid a heart-attack by the age of 35.

Would you prefer the Irish moved out of Ireland?

Im pretty sure if you went to any of the countries you mention you will find an equal amount of disruptive kids in the classrooms.

Its a shame that teachers are failing Irish kids and deciding to put all their efforts into non national kids.

Just out of interest how do you know that these other nationalities werent telling you to go to hell in their own language? But then the way you paint it all these kids were fluent in English and tokens of society!

Have you considered that the Irish kids lost interest in the classroom because teachers such as you were teaching foreign kids how to say the "Cat sat on the Mat" whilst the rest of the class were in there third year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Government need to step in. Such a school is a disaster waiting to happen.

I don't really have an issue with foreigners - but if we isolate them like this, we are creating trouble for the future.

Integration is a must and this school does not help with integration. For example, there is trouble enough convincing some supposedly native Irish people of the value of teaching their child Gaeilge. Imagine how hard it would be in this school. If they are to integrate, they must learn our ways. We've chucked away a huge portion of who we are already without adding to it. We'll end up like the Brits before long. A cultureless 'melting pot' society with nothing in common except a shared economy. If they want to live in Ireland, they must become Irish.

The fact that this happened isn't their fault, it is the fault of govt policy. Quick response needed to this. Solve it over the summer months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement