Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School has not one Irish pupil enrolling this year

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm glad. I hope we get more immigrants, and the government gives them houses close to where darkman2 lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

DaveMcG wrote: »
    I'm glad. I hope we get more immigrants, and the government gives them houses close to where darkman2 lives.

Well I live in a very comfortable 5 bed detached somewhere in Kildare currently, but I'll happily take one of the council flats next to his place if it serves the purpose! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

RATM wrote: »
    I remember seeing a piece on RTE about a month ago that revealed that parents are avoiding schools where the majority of kids are non-national like the plague.

Yep this is true. Don't have figures handy but there's been a massive rise in interest in gaelscoils. Middle class people in particular are chosing gaelscoils over others so that they won't have their kids going to school with foreign children.

Fair enough I guess, free world and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Rb wrote: »
    Middle class people in particular are chosing gaelscoils over others so that they won't have their kids going to school with foreign children.
    Ah... the "liberal" middle class. Liberal when it suits. I say that as a middle-class person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

I think the reason is that allegedly a lot of foreign children don't have good enough english, therefore teachers have to spend more time with them, and because of that they have less time for other kids.

I don't really how true it is, or how common, just remember reading about it somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

ojewriej wrote: »
    I think the reason is that allegedly a lot of foreign children don't have good enough english, therefore teachers have to spend more time with them, and because of that they have less time for other kids.

I don't really how true it is, or how common, just remember reading about it somewhere.

One of the main problems with foreign children in this country is that their parents don't speak to them predominantly in English, which doesn't help their first few years in primary school.

Was delighted to see a Chinese woman talking to both her young children in English last week.

Plenty of time to teach them another language a year or two after they've started school and have a good grasp of English.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

I don't really mind the fact that non-nationals are going to the schools, what I do mind is when non-nationals try to exclude Irish people from schools (like was said about the school in Balbriggan) and also, in Balbriggan, there was a hair salon which had a sign on the door "no whites". imagine if an Irish salon tried that with a sign saying "no blacks" the salon would be shut down before you could say "not fair!"

There's a lot of misinformation going on about the Balbriggan situation. There are many immigrants living in the area, and a lot of them have moved from the centre in Mosney. Nobody told them that they had to put their kids' names down for national school, so they just turned up on the first day of term with child in tow expecting a place and there just wasn't the room in the national schools. Cue panic about what to do and so an additional school was quickly established in the Sunshine Home holiday centre.

It certainly was not a case of people being excluded because they were the wrong colour/race /ethnicity and it is completely unfair to blame the school authorities in Balbriggan for a problem that was not of their making, and which was totally unforseen until the first day of term when dozens of extra pupils turned up. Furthermore the new school is an Educate Together school and does not bar ANYONE from enrolling regardless of race, colour or creed.

As for the "no whites" sign - I've seen this crop up a number of times and when asked for proof of its existence it's always been "my brother / neighbour / friend of a friend saw it". I don't believe that it ever existed - it's an urban myth.

Got any more poisonous rumours that you'd like to spread around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I saw the sign.

I opened up my eyes, I saw the sign :pac:

but seriously I did see it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Mena wrote: »
    I can't blame you, seeing how you Irish raise your kids I'm finding it harder and harder to justify sending my daughter to a school with so many Irish. :pac:

Dont really get that? Was that an attempt at comedy.It's a free country,i can send my kids where i want.Like i said id rather they went to a school with mostly Irish kids.Dont know why you have to go and insult Irish people in general....Whats wrong with how we raise our kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What's wrong with your kids mixing with foreign kids?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Dont really get that? Was that an attempt at comedy.It's a free country,i can send my kids where i want.Like i said id rather they went to a school with mostly Irish kids.Dont know why you have to go and insult Irish people in general....Whats wrong with how we raise our kids.
    What's wrong with how foreign kids are raised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

The Bollox wrote: »
    I saw the sign.

I opened up my eyes, I saw the sign :pac:

but seriously I did see it up

What premises was it up in? My friend lives there and he wants to go and check it out to see if it's still there. He'd never heard of it.

Cant blame the parents really.I doubt if id send my girls to a school with that many Non-nationals.

Seriously, you're either a very bad troll or a complete f*ckwit. How can you honestly not see the hypocritical absurdity of your two posts?

My gast is well and truly flabbered.

And you still haven't expanded (expounded?) on your reasoning behind your first post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Well I live in a very comfortable 5 bed detached somewhere in Kildare currently, but I'll happily take one of the council flats next to his place if it serves the purpose! :D

You probrably could not afford a cardboard box where I live:D I have to say there is not many immigrants in my area. I have two polish guys putting in a wooden floor for me atm. They work really hard. I asked them to at least take a break but they wont. Put Irish workers to shame. Been working non stop since 9 this morning.

Seriously, you're either a very bad troll or a complete f*ckwit. How can you honestly not see the hypocritical absurdity of your two posts?

My gast is well and truly flabbered.

And you still haven't expanded (expounded?) on your reasoning behind your first post.

Ah the internet eh. Where you can insult people from the security of your keyboard safe in the knowledge that you dont have to call them names to their face:rolleyes: You sir should be ashamed of yourself. As for my first post..why should i expand on what i said.

Dudess wrote: »
    What's wrong with your kids mixing with foreign kids?

Who said there was anything wrong with my kids mixing with foreign kids.When my kids get to a school going age i'll send them to a school that has a mix of foriegn childern and Irish childern,not a school with all Irish kids or all foreign kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭UsedtobePC

One of the main problems with foreign children in this country is that their parents don't speak to them predominantly in English, which doesn't help their first few years in primary school.

Was delighted to see a Chinese woman talking to both her young children in English last week.

Plenty of time to teach them another language a year or two after they've started school and have a good grasp of English.

Let's assume for the sake of argument you go to live in a country like Mongolia, and you bring your kids with you. Let's assume as well they are old enough to attend school.

Mongolian language being completely different to any language you could've/might've learnt at shool yourself will not be the easiest thing for you as a parent to learn. Do you:

a) Continue to speak to your children in your mother tongue?

b) Take a crash course in the lingo, try to get a job, sort out housing and schooling aaand... communicate effectively and efficiently to your kids in Mogolian?

darkman2 wrote: »
    You probrably could not afford a cardboard box where I live:D

Yeah, well I guess I can smile as apparently it's your government that coughed up for my 5 bed detached and the 2 BMW's parked in the drive way :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

What premises was it up in? My friend lives there and he wants to go and check it out to see if it's still there. He'd never heard of it.

it's almost directly across the road from the hotel. I can't remember the name of the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Yeah, well I guess I can smile as apparently it's your government that coughed up for my 5 bed detached and the 2 BMW's parked in the drive way :cool:

And you stole our wimmins too! Admit it. :eek:

• Advertisement

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    And you stole our wimmins too! Admit it. :eek:

4 of them. Why take 1 when you can have more :pac::pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think the real problem here is that there are not enough kids being made by Irish parents, just need to think of a way to solve that issue? :confused:

Ah the internet eh. Where you can insult people from the security of your keyboard safe in the knowledge that you dont have to call them names to their face:rolleyes: You sir should be ashamed of yourself. As for my first post..why should i expand on what i said.

Ah the Internet eh. Where you can trot out the same response to anybody who challenges your thinly-veiled narrow-mindedness at will :rolleyes:

Methinks you've been found out and have tried to portray your comments as a lazy, half-arsed attempt at conveying your want of a cultural melting-pot in which to let your 'childern' (sic) stew.

You don't have to expand on your first point at all. But seeing as you were asked, and have so far refused, to do so then you leave yourself open to criticism. If indeed you do want to "send them to a school that has a mix of foriegn childern and Irish childern,not a school with all Irish kids or all foreign kids" then why not say that in the first post?

(a) Casually saying "I doubt if id send my girls to a school with that many Non-nationals" implies that you have a problem with non-nationals, NOT, as you've so delightfully backtracked, with the ratio of nationals : non-nationals.

(b) To then ask another poster "whats wrong with the way we raise our kids" is typical of a narrow-minded hypocrite.

So, you see (a) = trollish behaviour and (b) = hypocrisy / f*ckwittery.

IMO.

I'll take option B, Bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think the most worrying thing here is the fact that ghettos are being created.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/changing-times-as-school-finds-no-irishborn-pupils-enrolling-1397401.html

But we will just continue on regardless. How many years has it been said now that our whole immigration system is a joke? That we dont actually have one? It would be too politically incorrect to point out the problems this sort of thing will bring in the future. So now we have a Public school in the most populated area in the country with not one Irish pupil enrolling. You know if we actually planned this artificial apparthied we probrably could not do it! Then there is the all African school in Balbriggan. Keep up the good work!

The Irish diaspora is because Irish people emigrated, now we have people immigrating and you are giving out xenophobic rubbish like this. Cop on to yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

The Irish diaspora is because Irish people emigrated, now we have people immigrating and you are giving out xenophobic rubbish like this. Cop on to yourself.

Your not comparing like with like. Irish people went to large countries that could absorb huge influx of immigrants - the US, Britain etc........the Irish were never in danger of threathening the social fabric of their societies by sheer numbers - this, after all, was always a sparsely populated Island. Now you have influxes of immigrants coming from large countries to a tiny insignificant country - bit of a difference there. We have to be more careful then most simply because of our size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Your not comparing like with like. Irish people went to large countries that could absorb huge influx of immigrants - the US, Britain etc........the Irish were never in danger of threathening the social fabric of their societies by sheer numbers

Seems to me that immigrants are badly needed here. We have a tiny gene pool that could do with expanding, and immigrants bring skills we need as well.

Why are we always so frightened in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Claire121

I don't think that's really the issue, tbh. I teach English as a Second Language and did my linguistics dissertation on an ESL based topic, and it's perfectly possible for young children to pick up two languages at once, say one at home and the other learned at school and to be bilingual at the age of 4 or 5. There isn't really much point in a non native parent speaking the language of the community at home if they aren't perfectly fluent in it and it can even be detrimental, as the child picks up on their mistakes. There's no reason why a child of normal ability shouldn't learn English within a very short space of time. I went to primary school with tons of foreign kids and they all picked it up quickly, even at age 9 or 10. There were after school classes once or twice a week for those who had trouble learning it. I don't think the language issue is as big a deal as some people make out.

• Advertisement

Ah the Internet eh. Where you can trot out the same response to anybody who challenges your thinly-veiled narrow-mindedness at will :rolleyes:

Methinks you've been found out and have tried to portray your comments as a lazy, half-arsed attempt at conveying your want of a cultural melting-pot in which to let your 'childern' (sic) stew.

You don't have to expand on your first point at all. But seeing as you were asked, and have so far refused, to do so then you leave yourself open to criticism. If indeed you do want to "send them to a school that has a mix of foriegn childern and Irish childern,not a school with all Irish kids or all foreign kids" then why not say that in the first post?

(a) Casually saying "I doubt if id send my girls to a school with that many Non-nationals" implies that you have a problem with non-nationals, NOT, as you've so delightfully backtracked, with the ratio of nationals : non-nationals.

(b) To then ask another poster "whats wrong with the way we raise our kids" is typical of a narrow-minded hypocrite.

So, you see (a) = trollish behaviour and (b) = hypocrisy / f*ckwittery.

IMO.

Ok.So you continue to insult me.:rolleyes: Typical childish behaviour.Must be sad to be you ya.

IMO

Advertisement