Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much of an impact do supplements have

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Big Davey wrote: »
    Stick that in your hoop pal.

It's a long shot, but you didn't find it made you a scorpy wee wasp by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

It's a long shot, but you didn't find it made you a scorpy wee wasp by any chance?
    Is a wee wasp anything like a little wasp ? If so you could be right :-) I will try the creatine again in coming weeks and touch base with you again pal :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Big Davey wrote: »
    Coffee can alter people's moods correct ? So why not creatine ? Stick that in your hoop pal.

That's like saying alcohol can alter people's mood so why not potatoes. Creatine will have no affect on a persons mood except for the disappointment when they don't see those advertised gains

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Not really an advantage, take them if you feel you aren't getting something.

For me that might be a tablet that has omega 3 + D3 and then another B12 one but that is to get necessary vitamins.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

A good multivit made from real veg extracts I find helps you from getting sick if you're training hard. I've taken Triads and Opt-men, both seem to have the same effect, feel worn down if I don't take them when training a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭SuprSi

What is the point of taking a vitamin supplement that has way over the RDA of certain vitamins? Just looking at the nutritional info on the Triads...

200% of Vitamin A
    833% Vitamin C
    250% Vitamin D
    670% Vitamin E
    8333% Vitamin B12 :D

Surely most of that will be wasted on the vast majority of people?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

SuprSi wrote: »
    What is the point of taking a vitamin supplement that has way over the RDA of certain vitamins? Just looking at the nutritional info on the Triads...

200% of Vitamin A
    833% Vitamin C
    250% Vitamin D
    670% Vitamin E

Look up how RDA is defined...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

200% of Vitamin A
    833% Vitamin C
    250% Vitamin D
    670% Vitamin E

An actual RDA will differ from person to person.

The RDA on supplement labels is more like a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,098 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

200% of Vitamin A
    833% Vitamin C
    250% Vitamin D
    670% Vitamin E

RDA's are guideline minimum targets, not optimum ranges

Not to mention RDA are actually quite dated. Some products are banned in Ireland for having an excessive amount of B12 in them, when in fact the number is based on a RDA that is very much dated and as others have said, a minimum guideline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Hanley wrote: »
    Look up how RDA is defined...

Ok, had to take this advice;
    Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDA), the daily dietary intake level of a nutrient considered sufficient by the Food and Nutrition Board to meet the requirements of 97.5% of healthy individuals in each life-stage and sex group. It is calculated based on the EAR and is usually approximately 20% higher than the EAR

The key points are sufficient and 97.5% of healthy individuals. I realise this is still a very broad definition as I'm sure everyone has different RDA requirements, but surely 6/8 times the RDA is pointless, let alone 80 times? Could one healthy individual really require that much more or less than another?

I'm just curious as I see similar things in Berocca and always thought it was daft having such high levels of vitamins/minerals.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm looking at my Boots vitamins here
    it says it has over 1000% RDA for some of the vitamin B stuff
    jaysus

Sometimes people ask, “why does my vitamin have 1000% of something, don’t I only need 100%?”

RDA

The RDA is the Recommended Daily Allowance. This is the minimum needed to not cause disease. This is not the amount needed to be healthy.

TUL

The TUL is the Tolerable Upper Limit which is the most a person can have
    without side effects.

The Truth

Most people fall in between the RDA and TUL. Each person has different needs based on genetics, lifestyle and current health. Your vitamin may say it has 1000% of something but that is a 1000% of the bare minimum. Your body may need 3000%, it all depends on your needs. Many vitamins are water soluble which means the excess is washed out in the urine. So if you only need 900% the extra 100% will simply be flushed out.

Guess that sums it up

http://inwoodchiropractic.wordpress.com/2011/03/21/why-does-my-vitamin-say-1000/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Isn't the uptake of vitamin B really low and that's why they put so much in? Everything you don;t use just passes through anyway.

Well, I just used up the last of my vouchers and I'll be getting in about a bajillion percent of vitamins A-W (the vouchers didn't cover X, Y and Z) so I'll report back on the ill-effects in about 50 days or so.

If I'm still alive, obvz.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,098 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The key points are sufficient and 97.5% of healthy individuals. I realise this is still a very broad definition as I'm sure everyone has different RDA requirements, but surely 6/8 times the RDA is pointless, let alone 80 times? Could one healthy individual really require that much more or less than another?.

RDA = minimum required to function

In some cases exceeding the RDA might be pointless if there's no benefit beyond functioning.
    In other cases, an optimal level could exceed basic functioning by quite a bit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

.ak wrote: »
    Not to mention RDA are actually quite dated. Some products are banned in Ireland for having an excessive amount of B12 in them, when in fact the number is based on a RDA that is very much dated and as others have said, a minimum guideline.
    I'd be fecked so, my b12 supplement is ~17000%
    Blacktie. wrote: »
    Isn't the uptake of vitamin B really low and that's why they put so much in? Everything you don;t use just passes through anyway.

Yes, it actually gets worse as you get older, for instanvce the majority of people in their 50s and over can't even absorb enough B12 from any food source any more and it is recommended they supplement. Will have to dig out where I saw that.

Yes, and people with diseases like crohne's can't absorb B12 at all, or very little of it. My girlfriend has crohnes and she needs to take a lot of different supplements for B12.

RDA of vitamin C is 60mg and this is the amount I need to consume so I won't die from scurvy, which would be good to know if I was a sailor in the 1600's

JJayoo wrote: »
    RDA of vitamin C is 60mg and this is the amount I need to consume so I won't die from scurvy, which would be good to know if I was a sailor in the 1600's

:D

I know of a guy who managed to get scurvy in college.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

:D

I know of a guy who managed to get scurvy in college.

I heard a tale of a fellow who tried living mostly on porridge in college to save money and got scurvy

• Advertisement

The scurvy diet, guaranteed to lose loads of weight

bluewolf wrote: »
    I heard a tale of a fellow who tried living mostly on porridge in college to save money and got scurvy

This has to be an urban myth. I think everyone heard that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Blacktie. wrote: »
    This has to be an urban myth. I think everyone heard that one.

i only heard it now , here. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Has anyone mentioned the fact that most of the things being posted here refer to water soluble vitamins which you'll just excrete the excess of if over consumed?

So thre's no real health risk anyway.

Has anyone mentioned the fact that most of the things being posted here refer to water soluble vitamins which you'll just excrete the excess of if over consumed?

So thre's no real health risk anyway.

I think I did somewhere. Where's my gold star!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

The key points are sufficient and 97.5% of healthy individuals. I realise this is still a very broad definition as I'm sure everyone has different RDA requirements, but surely 6/8 times the RDA is pointless, let alone 80 times? Could one healthy individual really require that much more or less than another?

I'm just curious as I see similar things in Berocca and always thought it was daft having such high levels of vitamins/minerals.

I finally persuaded my dad to take D3 supplements. He has chronic psoriasis, has had for years. RDA of D3 is 300IU. I told him to take 10000IU. 2 weeks later he just called me to say he has seen a massive improvement.

RDA is a guideline and pretty useless as a whole. Individuals need to get advice on what is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

So there's no real health risk anyway.

I was taking MyProteins alpha man multi-vit for a while there, and my piss was highlighter yellow no matter how hydrated i was. my body was pissing out the vitamins it wasn't using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I just took 120000% the RDA of B12, oh noes.

Zombienosh wrote: »
    I just took 120000% the RDA of B12, oh noes.

You're gonna turn into Dr Manhattan pretty soon....

...you might wanna make sure to be wearing jocks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Forever_1fcaa4_1919309.jpg

Advertisement