Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bikes - expansion stalled?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭stocktrader

so whens this going to start?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

so whens this going to start?

Next few months i presume. Theres a map floating about the internet which lists the expansion areas, but basically its docklands, heuston area and then a further concentrations of stands between the 2 canals.

Edit - Map Added - http://dublinobserver.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/expmap-large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

It looks like the expansion was awarded €2.6m as part of the €43m Sustainable Transport package for the Dublin Region.

An article in the SBP mentions 59 additional stations by the end of 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭markpb

This is still rumbling along slowly: http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0505/390536-dublin-bike-rental/
    Councillors at Dublin City Council are due to vote on Monday week whether to extend the Dublin Bike scheme. Under the plans, the number of Dublin bikes would increase from 550 to 1,500 over the next 12 months. The number of stations would also double to around 100.

Most of the funding is expected to come from the National Transport Authority. If the plan is agreed by councillors, the annual subscription for the service would rise from €10 to €20 per year.

markpb wrote: »

Once approved, and I can't see why it won't. It will be started straight away and be finished this year I'd imagine.

Not happy with 100% increase in cost, so I may back out of my subscription tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭markpb

I presume there'll be a tender for the construction work and also planning permission for each of the 100 new action? That'll slow things down a little.

Was there any word on what agreement was (presumably) reached with JCD?

markpb wrote: »
    I presume there'll be a tender for the construction work and also planning permission for each of the 100 new action? That'll slow things down a little.

Was there any word on what agreement was (presumably) reached with JCD?

Think they are exempt from the typical planning process.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

kceire wrote: »
    Once approved, and I can't see why it won't. It will be started straight away and be finished this year I'd imagine.

Have to agree with you about the proposed price increase, i just don't go into town often enough to justify paying more than the current charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

kceire wrote: »

100% increase is a bit ridiculous but 20euro for the year isn't bad value all the same.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The tax payer is going from paying hardly anything, and being paid more back to them, to now paying millions upfront and likely more for running costs down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

€20 a year is still fairly reasonable, particularly if the service is expanding - its £90 a year in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

I am happy to learn about the success and expansion plans which are hopefully going to be approved.

€20 a year is still very very cheap in IMHO for the convenience of grabbing a bike and off you go. I personally rarely use it but if the money goes towards improving transport options and promoting biking in Dublin, I am all for paying this small "tax" to help out. Much better than raising taxes on everyone and not knowing where the money actually ends up.

doopa wrote: »
    100% increase is a bit ridiculous but 20euro for the year isn't bad value all the same.

yeah point taken, the 100% increase looks better as a headline though :D

When you see the amount of stations, and the spread of the stations, i suppose the public will be happy.
    Now to start planning the next expansion :D

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭uphillonly

I've always thought 10 euros was far too cheap, that probably barely covers the administration of providing the cards.

We want the scheme to continue to expand it needs funding for this. The higher subscription should allow more the of the funding to go expansion. 20 euros is still great value and probably the right level. Paris' Velib is €29 but much bigger & London's at £90 is high & can only make sense if it's used as your regular commute. I used to use the London bikes a lot in winter whenever they did lots of salt griting which I didn't want corroding my bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

• Registered Users Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭cgcsb

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Dublin has the worst public transport of any major city I've ever seen and one of the worst traffic management and congestion cities I've ever seen also.

Have you ever been to America(The North South and Central continents)? the UK(outside of London)? Asia? Australia? Africa?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brownbeard

brownbeard wrote: »

58 new stations is a major improvement!

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

From dublinbikes.ie itself http://www.dublinbikes.ie/Magazine/News/dublinbikes-expansion

dublinbikes expansion
    (17/05/2013)
    JCDecaux Ireland have signed a contract with Dublin City Council to carry out an expansion of the hugely successful dublinbikes scheme with work to start over the coming months. The extension of the bike sharing scheme East to the Docklands and West to Heuston station will also reinforce the footprint of the current scheme with additional stations in a number of key locations in the city

JCDecaux Ireland have signed a contract with Dublin City Council to carry out an expansion of the hugely successful dublinbikes scheme with work to start over the coming months. The extension of the bike sharing scheme East to the Docklands and West to Heuston station will also reinforce the footprint of the current scheme with additional stations in a number of key locations in the city. A full list of the additional 58 planned station locations can be seen on this map. Once the expansion has been completed the number of stations will be more than doubled to 102 and the number of bikes will be almost trebled to 1,500 in total. The extra stations and bikes will greatly enhance the entire dublinbikes network with the area covered by the scheme doubled.

JCDecaux has been operating the dublinbikes contract on behalf of Dublin City Council since its launch in 2009. The scheme currently has 550 bikes with 44 bike stations located in the city centre. Since launch in 2009 dublinbikes has exceeded all expectations in terms of uptake and use and it is generally acknowledged to be one of the most successful bike sharing schemes in the world. To date, over 5 million journeys have been made on dublinbikes and there are over 31,000 active long-term subscribers. 95% of journeys take less than 30 minutes and are therefore free to subscribers.

Commenting on the expansion Jim Keogan, Executive Manager in Dublin City Council’s Planning and Economic Development Department said “the expansion of the dublinbikes scheme will provide significantly more people with a high quality means of transport that is not only environmentally sustainable and encourages a more healthy lifestyle but is also complementary to other modes of public transport. The expanded dublinbikes scheme will also continue to contribute to a significantly decreased motor presence in our city centre”.

Joanne Grant, Managing Director JCDecaux added “JCDecaux are delighted to be carrying out the dublinbikes expansion. This will ensure that more people will be able to enjoy the convenience that the bikes provide to thousands of users every day. We are looking forward to building on the success of the scheme already in place.”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

How would people feel about this being a solution to having massively more capacity at each terminal, taking up minimal space compared to the current facility, thus making it easier to put way more around the city...

u9xIzDv.gif

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/07/11/this-changes-everything-10/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

cgcsb wrote: »
    Have you ever been to America(The North South and Central continents)? the UK(outside of London)? Asia? Australia? Africa?

I've lived in two states in America, also lived in Canada, have been to about 10 cities around the UK, I have also been to the majority of the countries in Western Europe, I've only been to Morroco in Africa, but never to Asia... what's your point?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

How would people feel about this being a solution to having massively more capacity at each terminal, taking up minimal space compared to the current facility, thus making it easier to put way more around the city...

u9xIzDv.gif

Those things are expensive and usually paid for by parking charges in excess of DublinBike subs. The construction footprint is quite large and the final above ground structure is set in the centre.

They work on scale too -- three of then would fit every DublinBikes and have space left over.

They make a lot more sense in Japan given the high density and lack if street space. I would not discount having a few in Dublin for parking private bike, but the Dutch have smaller-scale systems for bike rental (and even at that, it's a train station focused system, not like ours).

u9xIzDv.gif

Would love to see it, but can't see the costs involved being an attraction to the people that would have to pay for it.

Maybe when DB subscriptions are €100 per year :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

cgcsb wrote: »

Dublin has a pretty crap public transport network compared to the more advanced Asian economies to be honest. It has some bus lanes and one North-South coastal light rail and a couple of street-car lines that don't even join up. It's really hard to get from North to South in any reasonable time frame and the buses are unreliable and slow and often full of junkies and undesirables. It's got a few train lines that run in from the countryside but again they don't link very well with other modes of transport and they are fairly slow and expensive. It fairly sucks arse overall compared to a modern Asian or European city. It needs some underground metro lines, that's what's holding it up.

As for driving through it, it's not easy either, while I appreciate that's by design somewhat, it's not an easy commuter city either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

u9xIzDv.gif

Is there not a risk that the machine becomes a single point of failure for lots of bikes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

That's kind of a solution in search of a problem. There's no major shortage of street space for bikes in Dublin.

Same system as used in Dublin works fine in Paris and Brussels where it's probably a lot busier!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

Any update on any new bike stations happening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I saw it on Saturday. They had a second channel cut in the ground with red ducting for electrical cables to the new securing posts. Looks like it will be nearly doubled from existing capacity. It's desperately needed, given the proximity to Connolly Station too.

Advertisement