Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC Horizon Launched

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    The scrolling side bar is muck.

The cisco hd box, Press ok and scroll left or right through the channel list is whats needed here on this box.

Also missing pressing the back button to go to the last channel i was on.

Live tv button on remote will go to the last channel viewed press it once or twice to switch between last channels viewed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

I got the horizon box today and I'm still trying to get it setup after I had to do a factory reset. Right now I'm looking at a screen that says your horizon box is not connected to UPC. But I already had it working earlier. Same setup followed after the reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Tiosabas

Problems so far on day 1 for Horizon box: Repeatedly getting signed out of PSN.
    ipods and iphone devices are very sluggish while browsing. Youtube works intermittently.
    Speedtest.net returns anything from under 1mb/sec to 50mb/sec over WIFI. I know WIFI is not the way to do speedtest but thats a fair bit of variance.
    Browser hangs intermittently, this occurs for all devices at the same time.
    Some TV channels have black bars on the left and right sides so you are stuck with a square picture no matter what picture mode the TV is in.

uPnP is enabled anyone have any ideas for the above problems?
    Much appreciated.

Tiosabas wrote: »
    Problems so far on day 1 for Horizon box: Repeatedly getting signed out of PSN.
    ipods and iphone devices are very sluggish while browsing. Youtube works intermittently.
    Speedtest.net returns anything from under 1mb/sec to 50mb/sec over WIFI. I know WIFI is not the way to do speedtest but thats a fair bit of variance.
    Browser hangs intermittently, this occurs for all devices at the same time.
    Some TV channels have black bars on the left and right sides so you are stuck with a square picture no matter what picture mode the TV is in.

uPnP is enabled anyone have any ideas for the above problems?
    Much appreciated.

If you don't want black bars settings picture
    Stretch picture

Note if watching a HD channel and program is 4.3 it will still show black bars

Wireless with apple devices

Horizon router
    Try changing channel to 1 or 6 or 11
    Set bandwidth to 20 MHz only
    Set 802.11 to mixed mode G/N
    Set upnp and multicast to on
    This is done by login using web browser
    User name admin
    Password admin

Apple iPhone 4 and below are not great for wireless

If you have a seperate wireless router
    Belkin/Buffalo/Asus
    that can be set up as wireless access mode use seperate router it as this is best for apple devices

If your PC or Laptop is wireless G
    You will have poor wireless speed when using with horizon

Horizon needs all devices to be wireless n for best results with no wireless G devices been used

Homeplugs can solve poor wireless signal and you have a wired connection in any room with a power socket

Playstation 3 is wireless G
    Best if you use wired connection only to horizon
    Always use cat 5.e or cat 6 cables only

Note your pc or laptop also needs wired connection to have gigabyte connector
    10/100/1000
    If you only have 10/100 you won't get speeds above 80mb

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Tiosabas

paulboland wrote: »
    If you don't want black bars settings picture
    Stretch picture

Note if watching a HD channel and program is 4.3 it will still show black bars

Wireless with apple devices

Horizon router
    Try changing channel to 1 or 6 or 11
    Set bandwidth to 20 MHz only
    Set 802.11 to mixed mode G/N
    Set upnp and multicast to on
    This is done by login using web browser
    User name admin
    Password admin

Apple iPhone 4 and below are not great for wireless

If you have a seperate wireless router
    Belkin/Buffalo/Asus
    that can be set up as wireless access mode use seperate router it as this is best for apple devices

If your PC or Laptop is wireless G
    You will have poor wireless speed when using with horizon

Horizon needs all devices to be wireless n for best results with no wireless G devices been used

Homeplugs can solve poor wireless signal and you have a wired connection in any room with a power socket

Playstation 3 is wireless G
    Best if you use wired connection only to horizon
    Always use cat 5.e or cat 6 cables only

Note your pc or laptop also needs wired connection to have gigabyte connector
    10/100/1000
    If you only have 10/100 you won't get speeds above 80mb

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried the wireless settings but dont see any improvement.
    Using an IP5 which keeps dropping off the wifi completly. Browsing while on wifi is very unstable.
    I will try home plugs for the PS3.
    Getting upto 145mb(wired) on the PC but I'm not convinced, browsing seems sluggish on the PC too.

Obviously tried stretching the picture the picture size does not change. All Nick/Boomerang channels and some others

Edit: ah video settings>stretch thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Hendrickp

Can anybody confirm if i can use the Horizon Box for a wired internet connection to my PS3 while also keeping my wireless connection for all other devices through the technicolour router/modem???

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭nakano3153

Hendrickp wrote: »
    Can anybody confirm if i can use the Horizon Box for a wired internet connection to my PS3 while also keeping my wireless connection for all other devices through the technicolour router/modem???

yes you can.

nakano3153 wrote: »
    yes you can.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 derek4567

Has anyone notices no pictures on e3 on the horizon box

• Advertisement

Where do I find the default user/password to login to the router with a browser?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Stab*City wrote: »
    Where do I find the default user/password to login to the router with a browser?

user: admin

pass: admin

0ph0rce0 wrote: »

user: admin

pass: admin

Thanks. Next problem I have is my Xbox 360 refuses to connect to the wifi. Anyone any ideas? I logged into router and everything is default. Only thing I did was enable upnp

Stab*City wrote: »
    Thanks. Next problem I have is my Xbox 360 refuses to connect to the wifi. Anyone any ideas? I logged into router and everything is default. Only thing I did was enable upnp

Make sure your using wpa/wpa2
    Default is wpa2
    Use wpa/wpa2

Security settings wireless
    Mixed mode is G/N

Bandwidth 20 MHz only

Upnp
    Multicast
    Set both to on
    Default there off

Login using a web browser
    User name admin
    Password admin

Also ssid change its name keep it simple and short
    Password keep it simple use uppercase and lowercase and numbers

nakano3153 wrote: »
    yes you can.
    Hendrickp wrote: »

Still having trouble with the Horizon box and connecting my PS3 to a wired connection and a wifi connection. Im going through the whole setup function on the box but it wont make a connection to the internet on either. As mentioned above, has this got anything to do with the fact i have the broadband already coming through the tecnhicolour modem/router? Or is there something else that im not seeing that i need to do to get the broadband working on this box as i've seen on this site alot of people having major problems with this box.

All working well now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

I spent a lot of time reading about Horizon here and now that I have it I thought I'd share some things I didn't see mentioned.

-Moving from Sky to Horizon very very happy with it
    -Was concerned the interface would be slow like the old upc boxes but its great
    -Sky interface is SLIGHTLY faster but Horizon has more info and I wouldn't call it slow or slugish at all.
    -When you first set it up,TV takes a few minutes to start,but it takes a few hours for the internet to work (at least for me,dont waste time trying to troubleshoot this just let it work away)
    -The box itself is very nice
    -The front display where it shows what channel you have on, can be dimmed down or brightened
    -You can set your SSID and some other WiFi and Network settings from the tv itself which is handy
    -I have my box in a shelf below my tv in the corner of the house,WiFi works just as good as the last Thompson box all over the house. No issues with WiFi.
    -When the box is powered on you can hear the fan start (like a regular pc) but after that, noise is not noticeable at all. My sky box sounded like a server room at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Ur[s]uS

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Just heard about this product today. I was looking to get the new Setanta package but was put off when I saw there was no online access and the BT channels weren't available in HD. But it looks like I can stream different channels to a browser from the horizon box, and one poster above listed the sports channels in HD. Can someone with the service please confirm this is the case?

The x2 BT Sport channels are definitely available in HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Mine arrived a little over 30 minutes ago.

Everything is set up and working already :)

All the TV channels I checked are available and the HD channels are fine.

Speedtests have varied depending on device (all on wifi) but got about 90Mbps on a wireless n laptop and a 12ms ping.

I thought I got a telephone handset included but the setup leaflet says otherwise. So I don't actually know if I have a working telephone number! That would be a new service for me as it wasn't available a few weeks ago (when ordering Horizon it said I can avail of the phone service)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

You'll need to sort your own handset. I was an existing customer and thought if I upgraded to the max bundle I'd get a handset - but no... I'll get a cheap phone in argos or tesco and see. I contacted upc on twitter to get my phone number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Beef wrote: »
    You'll need to sort your own handset. I was an existing customer and thought if I upgraded to the max bundle I'd get a handset - but no... I'll get a cheap phone in argos or tesco and see. I contacted upc on twitter to get my phone number.

I got a PM from UPC rep on boards with my number so all is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

I click on it and it tells me to go into settings and set up.

When I go into the settings and follow instructions, it seems like I can only set up to another network. For example it only lists wifi's the are in my range and not my own.

I'm seriously confused here?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭pelluci

When I go into the settings and follow instructions, it seems like I can only set up to another network. For example it only lists wifi's the are in my range and not my own.

I think I read somewhere on the trial thread that this feature isn't available yet. Not sure if there's any plans to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Are you selecting 'create home network' rather than 'join'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I dont get what you are trying to do?

My network home videos will populate if you have shared videos using a dlna server like twonky and you have turned on scanning for media on your horizon box. Create or joing home network has nothing to do with this setup so Im confused as to what youre doing..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

i can't get the horizon box to pickup files from my Synology NAS drive, it is not been listed in My Devices.

Does anyone know how to watch videos stored externally through horizon?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dalkiadave

ciaran75 wrote: »
    i can't get the horizon box to pickup files from my Synology NAS drive, it is not been listed in My Devices.

Does anyone know how to watch videos stored externally through horizon?

If your nas drive is accessed by your laptop you can use twonky to add to the folders available to horizion box and stream via the laptop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Finally got Horizon to recognise Twonky on my iPad (no idea why it wasn't working, or started now). I'm a bit confused by the interface. Perhaps I'm being a bit dim - entirely possible - but can you get it to play a list of songs? If I select a song, it brings up just that one song and you can play it. You have to go "Back" to select another. Also, if you go "Back" while playing the song, the Pause button doesn't stop it. You have to navigate back to the song's menu item, then you can press Pause to stop it.

While I'm quite happy with the Horizon box, the early, shiny adverts showing its media capabilities seem very exaggerated. I certainly won't be switching away from my AppleTV any time soon. The Horizon box has many of the same features, but in awkward, clunky ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dalkiadave

who_me wrote: »
    Finally got Horizon to recognise Twonky on my iPad (no idea why it wasn't working, or started now). I'm a bit confused by the interface. Perhaps I'm being a bit dim - entirely possible - but can you get it to play a list of songs? If I select a song, it brings up just that one song and you can play it. You have to go "Back" to select another. Also, if you go "Back" while playing the song, the Pause button doesn't stop it. You have to navigate back to the song's menu item, then you can press Pause to stop it.

While I'm quite happy with the Horizon box, the early, shiny adverts showing its media capabilities seem very exaggerated. I certainly won't be switching away from my AppleTV any time soon. The Horizon box has many of the same features, but in awkward, clunky ways.

And therein lies the problem with Horizion, its trying to be all things at once and that's what seems to be its downfall. It doesn't do the basics well. Sort that out then work on the fancy add ons and it will outshine even sky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

Anyone know if they will leave the old router? my PC is upstairs hard wired and I want to leave it that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Having trouble connecting the box! The box just says Installation with small orange phone symbol above, has been like this for about an hour. The coaxand HDMI cables seem fairly secure. Is it a faulty box?

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Having problems setting up home network. Have installed serviio on my PC, and it's appearing on my devices on the Horizon interface, but then no media is showing up in my device name on the interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭naitsirhc

scary wrote: »
    Anyone know if they will leave the old router? my PC is upstairs hard wired and I want to leave it that way.

You have the option of keeping your modem as well. But it could cost ya €45 to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ulysse91

Hello,
    sorry for my silly questions but I don't understand all !!!
    for the moment , with UPC I have :
    − Digital Max TV
    − Home Phone - Anytime World
    − Digital+
    − Home Phone
    − Fibre Power Broadband 100Mb
    − Multiroom Viewing
    all for 87€ ;)
    I would like to order their new products Horizon complete bundle for 80€.
    Is the new bundle better or the same ? I have to pay activation fee 45€ as well?
    With this new bundle, the multiroom viewing is useless ? (I have 2 tv )
    thank you for your help.
    Ulysse

scary wrote: »

Yeah. I was giving it back and the delivery man said we dont need it. Sure if they do PM me and you can take mine.

mattb74 wrote: »
    Having trouble connecting the box! The box just says Installation with small orange phone symbol above, has been like this for about an hour. The coaxand HDMI cables seem fairly secure. Is it a faulty box?

Mine took well over an hour. Stuck on that installation thing. Like you I was worried. It just takes time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

I have UPC broadband and Sky and the only thing stopping me from getting Horizon is Sky Atlantic, will UPC get this excellent channel?

200motels wrote: »
    I have UPC broadband and Sky and the only thing stopping me from getting Horizon is Sky Atlantic, will UPC get this excellent channel?

NO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

5 is currently disabled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 paulkeno

Anyone else having problems with the HD channels, i can get sound with no picture, it doesnt happen all the time. RTE 2 HD is fine but seems to happen a lot with Eurosport Hd, normally dont watch that channel but did while the athletics were on.

Also, everytime it does an update it deletes my scheduled recordings, sometimes they come back, not always. Drives the missus mad and then i get abuse, any else have these issues?

I really want to like this box but the search functions drive me mad, please add a day search function and one button delete, (and move the F*#king delete everything option somewhere less dangerous)

Rant over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Got by box today as well. It was the same for me, I was only getting RTE1, gave them a call, the guy said lot of boxes were posted today so provisioning is a bit slow today. In addition to that premiership started, so quite a few calling to get sky sports etc.

He said it will be fine in couple of hours and indeed that was the case. All the channels are up now including HD.

I still have the issue with Broadband speed. I am still getting around 25mb which is right for 30mb line (that's what I was on) but now I am on 100mb. So I should be getting closer to that.

I wonder if the broadband speed increase takes longer than tv provisioning?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 finn20

Going to have to call them. Only channel we're getting is RTE 1 and just did a speed test.

7RmZwm.png

I was getting a good 35-45Mbps on our previous 50Mb line.
    Me aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

finn20 wrote: »
    Me aswell

Channels will come up, its only a matter of time. Do you have broadband speed issue as well?

Wonder if they are going to increase everyone's speed together or something like that.

I will give them a call tomorrow if it doesnt get better.

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Got by box today as well. It was the same for me, I was only getting RTE1, gave them a call, the guy said lot of boxes were posted today so provisioning is a bit slow today. In addition to that premiership started, so quite a few calling to get sky sports etc.

He said it will be fine in couple of hours and indeed that was the case. All the channels are up now including HD.

I still have the issue with Broadband speed. I am still getting around 25mb which is right for 30mb line (that's what I was on) but now I am on 100mb. So I should be getting closer to that.

I wonder if the broadband speed increase takes longer than tv provisioning?
    I had that when I first got Horizon when setup finished my broadband speed was still 30mb
    Try power off/on as when I did that my broadband download speed was fixed to new speed
    if not wait a while and try power on/off
    some customers had to wait till next day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Did any existing customers pay an upgrade or connection fee.

• Advertisement

Haven't seen any problems with the wifi here.

Speed test gives me about 65-79 Mbps on the laptop upstairs in the back room every time.

Advertisement