Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S5E5 - Kill the Boy - HAVE READ the books.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,074 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

They've treated greyscale quite lazily and contradictory actually I just realised. Shireen got it from a doll we're told so clearly it can be passed on through objects. They presented it in this like an immediate impact illness. You're telling me I have to believe it infects you after an hour of being touched initially but presumably will have a slow spread as the weeks go by. Lazy storytelling again, they should have just ended it when Tyrion was pulled under, like in the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,074 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Jon won't go with the wildlings as he will soon learn Sansa is at Winterfell about to marry Ramsey, I wonder will Sam and Maestar Aemon go on their journey or will that be cut too.

They definitely will. Sam was just talking about wanting to be maester and about oldtown.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

They killed Barristan so that Greyworm and Missandei can fall in love? Seriously what a stinker of a decision. Absolutely unforgivable and I hope somebody really presses them for answers as to why they did that!

Very much enjoyed the rest of the episode though. Oldtown has been mentioned as much as greyscale so surely it has to happen? Loved Aemon's scenes with Sam and Jon. Kill the boy!

Who was the outspoken guy beside Jon up on the stage when he told them his plan?

Dany went a bit mad king too? Barristan wouldn't have been too happy about that!

The scenes at the end were great but surely they should have ended when he went under. That's what happened in the books and I really thought he was a goner. Enjoyed it though.

Was nice to spend a good bit of time up North in the episode too. I wonder will we get any scenes like last year with "The Nights King"?

Roose casually reminding the audience just how dastardly they are :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Why does no one ever tell Sansa that her siblings are alive. Brienne failed to mention Arya and now Theon has failed to mention Bran and Rickon.

And who sent the message to Maester Aemon about Dany?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

I wonder when and why we'll see Varys again. I hope it's more than just to kill Kevan Lannister assuming the Griffs are still cut from this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Why does no one ever tell Sansa that her siblings are alive. Brienne failed to mention Arya and now Theon has failed to mention Bran and Rickon.

In fairness, Brienne doesn't trust Littlefinger and Theon doesn't trust Ramsay.

Speaking of; are we expecting Littlefinger back in KL soon?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Yeah the produces have zero trust in the viewers at this point with the constant sign-posting so the fact oldtown has been mentioned more than once means sam will be on his way next episode. If he isn't due to go until the episode after they will have another scene mentioning oldtown next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭PIORUN

Can't believe they killed Barristan. You b@*tards. Hate the grey worm love story. God only knows what they will write for next season. They'll have caught up with to books in 5 more episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

Really happy that we got to see the stonemen scene even with different characters than the books. I actually think we might see Aegon, JonCon and the possé either as a cliffhanger to this season or at the start of next season. Similarly the Greyjoys and Lady Stoneheart could appear next season as well.

Unlike others I don't think a whole lot will be given away from the books as there is still a good few storylines to get through - Cersei's walk of shame, Arya v Meryn, Dany's wedding and fighting pits pandemonium, Jon at hardhome, Sam going to Oldtown which seems on going by this episode's hints (excited to see Oldtown and its mysteries even if it's not till next season), Jaime and Bronn prancing around Dorne after Myrcella and the Sand Snakes. Think these storylines could well fill up the rest of the season and don't forget there's the obligatory 10 minutes an episode focusing on Grey Worm and Missandei.

I do think we'll see the Battle of Winterfell near the end of the season, Stannis could run into Yara/Asha on the way to slow him down a bit, hopefully they might bump into Wyman and Rickon as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I imagine Barristan was killed off to allow Tyrion to become Daenerys' chief adviser.

The letter to Maester Aemon would have come from the Citadel. Looks like Samwell will be heading there soon.

Missandei may be Daenerys' ticket to Westeros. She wins the battle of Mereen and leaves Missandei as ruler.

Mormont is going to introduce the greyscale plague to Mereen instead of cholera.

Is Dolorous Edd going to stab Jon Snow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I imagine Barristan was killed off to allow Tyrion to become Daenerys' chief adviser.

The letter to Maester Aemon would have come from the Citadel. Looks like Samwell will be heading there soon.

Missandei may be Daenerys' ticket to Westeros. She wins the battle of Mereen and leaves Missandei as ruler.

Mormont is going to introduce the greyscale plague to Mereen instead of cholera.

Is Dolorous Edd going to stab Jon Snow?

Tyrion becoming Daenerys' chief advisor? I can definitely see that happen. It looks like it's gonna happen in the books anyway. The irony of having a Lannister as Dany's unofficial hand is excellent seeing as the last time a Lannister was hand to a Targaryen was Tywin and the Mad King. And we all know how that ended up. Tywins decision to switch sides made his family one of the most powerful in Westeros, Tyrion has the ability to completely annihilate the Lannister line. Just some ideas but very Martinesque..

And I do believe Edd and Olly will lead in the stabathon. They both seem to be clinging on to their loyalty to Jon Snow and surely whatever transpires in Winterfell, and Jons reaction, will be the final straw.

It hasn't been the most exciting half a season but I've a feeling the last 2 or 3 episodes are going to be fúcking epic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

GerB40 wrote:
    Tyrion becoming Daenerys' chief advisor? I can definitely see that happen. It looks like it's gonna happen in the books anyway. The irony of having a Lannister as Dany's unofficial hand is excellent seeing as the last time a Lannister was hand to a Targaryen was Tywin and the Mad King. And we all know how that ended up. Tywins decision to switch sides made his family one of the most powerful in Westeros, Tyrion has the ability to completely annihilate the Lannister line. Just some ideas but very Martinesque..
    I'm sure you've read this:
    http://time.com/3003227/game-thrones-jon-snow-mother/

I think the three most powerful and eligible people might be poised to begin harmonious democracy in Westeros, in spite of their aggressors. I love this show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

"Fewer"

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

A lot happened in that episode. I really enjoyed it anyway.

I can't believe they killed off bad ass Barry, what an absolute waste! I also was shouting at my screen "He has no penis!" when they had the Grey Worm scene. He better do something epic.

I reckon we'll see more Jaime & Bronn next week. Maybe we'll see Bronn's end by Hotah as expected. Looking forward to the battle of Winterfell & I reckon Theon will tell Sansa that Bran & RIckon are alive at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Kunkka wrote: »
    Looking forward to the battle of Winterfell & I reckon Theon will tell Sansa that Bran & RIckon are alive at some point.

I was thinking the same, and thats how that info gets to Stannis, when Sansa escapes with or without Theon. I have a funny feeling he won't get out of Winterfell.

As for this wedding, it really looks like its going to go ahead.

Fat Walda isn't much safer than Sansa now. Ramsay might only torture Sansa but he will kill Fat Walda first chance he gets (if he can get away with it).

I am hoping that Jorah gets merged with Victorian now and that some red priest fire purges that hand/arm maybe.

Clearly someone knows how to stop Greyscale, Shireens was stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Yep but with what Stannis said about it the only reason she got sorted was his power & influence as he could get anyone to come and help. Probably won't be the case with our poor bear

Kunkka wrote: »
    Yep but with what Stannis said about it the only reason she got sorted was his power & influence as he could get anyone to come and help. Probably won't be the case with our poor bear

I actually missed exactly what he said about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Was it not said in ADwD that greyscale is non-fatal (but lifetime scarring) in children whilst its fatal for adults?

Was it not said in ADwD that greyscale is non-fatal (but lifetime scarring) in children whilst its fatal for adults?

I cant remember. Did Gilly not chat with Shireen about how some of her sister wives had it and Craster took them out and killed them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It's mentioned in the books that there are two versions of it; the version children get is apparently easier to stop compared to the adult version (adult version is basically cut off the body part and hope for the best while the children version can be stopped with vinegar & lemon juice poultice).

As for the ending episode; if they are clever about it you'd have:
    1) Charge on winterfell starting (then cut it off inc. Sansa being chased etc. in the castle by her husband etc. to build tensions on what's going to happen)
    2) Stabby Mc Stabby event for the dear LC
    3) Mereen losing it's queen in episode 9 as she runs out to find her dragon and episode 10 she finds her lost dragon looking at her with open mouth flaming her (mother of dragons survives naturally but that's not shown)
    4) The other two dragons escaping when they are being attempted for kidnapping and set the city on fire with general looting etc.
    5) Arya going blind (this would lag behind the book story arc but it's a nice way to end it on a WTF point for the audience)

Suddenly you have a whole slew of cliff hangers going into next season to grab people's attention while not overplaying your hand so to speak.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Whatever about the Grey Worm and Missandei nonsense.....why the hell had the boat and all their stuff magically disappeared at the end? They were in very slow moving/ borderline still water in a narrow passageway, Jorah is clearly a strong swimmer because he dragged Tyrion across an entire bay to reach the beach.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Mickeroo wrote:
    Whatever about the Grey Worm and Missandei nonsense.....why the hell had the boat and all their stuff magically disappeared at the end? They were in very slow moving/ borderline still water in a narrow passageway, Jorah is clearly a strong swimmer because he dragged Tyrion across an entire bay to reach the beach.....

Didn't one of the stonemen damage the boat when he landed in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I reckon they could be setting Jorah up for a gallant death in the pits when Drogon arrives. He has grey scale anyway so it could be a way for him to give his life for Danaerys as a way of redeeming himself and not having to suffer grey scale.

Ya the fact they ended up so far from Valeryia with no sign of the boat was very strange.

I enjoyed the episode and it was great to see the Stoneman but as mentioned they probably could have left Tyrion going down as the final scene till next week.

I think they will stick with Danaerys flying off on Dragon from the pits as all hell will break lose. She thinks she is doing right by opening the pits but it just turns into a massive free for all and she hits the road.

Theon is another one that is a goner this season. Could see him killing Ramsay and then getting killed himself helping Sansa. Possibly by Brienne who thinks she is helping Sansa.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Didn't one of the stonemen damage the boat when he landed in it?

I don't think so, don't recall any shots of a leak or anything.

I'm just annoyed that we'll likely be seeing Tyrion and Jorah end up as slaves now more than anything, was hoping they'd just fast track the pair of them to Mereen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I think maybe the boy Ollie could end up being the one who does the stabbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

That very much crossed my mind during their scene.

Practically guaranteed I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Definitely setting him up that way. When he realised Jon and Ygritte were lovers etc also.

I also think they're setting Missandei up for a death. They are bigging up the relationship between her and Grey Worm to increase the impact of her death. She'll be getting the poisoned locusts treatment.

I wonder if Jorah appears in time for the fighting pits and takes on Barristans role with Drogon. Maybe he might get an arm burnt off? Stops the spread of the disease in a dramatic way. Maybe that's too similar to Jaime.

Anyone else see the rumors of next episode spoilers
    Lady Stoneheart? Apparently they have Michelle Fairley in the credits for next episode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I have to say I dont mind the book to tv changes so much but the Missandei - Grey Worm story is bloody awful, it even captured the "shake the head sideways" in response to asking if someone is alive.

Advertisement