Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hazards of Belief

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This is great news. Instead of a collection, everyone who goes to mass tomorrow morning is getting a dividend :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

This is great news. Instead of a collection, everyone who goes to mass tomorrow morning is getting a dividend :)

I might go myself if the church decided to give away its wealth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Kivaro wrote: »
    One hazard of belief is that the vatican may forget where it has hidden the flock's money.

Some of the comments on the Indo article are funny:
    http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/hundreds-of-millions-found-tucked-away-in-the-vatican-30803648.html

That's the same Mr. Pell who was transferred out of Australia recently because his continuing attempts to cover up sex abuse scandals, claim victims were lying and finally claim the rcc was too poor to pay compensation had finally become too embarrasing for the vatican.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

It is thought that today’s comments from church officials marks the opening salvo in a concerted effort to sway public opinion against same-sex marriages ahead of next year’s referendum. According to the latest Irish Times/Ipsos MRBI poll, 67 per cent of Irish people support the notion of same-sex marriage being constitutionally enshrined, with just 20 per cent of respondents opposed to such a move.
    Looks like public opinion is strongly against them, and yet they feel compelled to fire the opening salvo. By the end of this campaign, they are going to be shown up as a bunch of bigoted and irrelevant dinosaurs.
    I wonder if they feel like the chaps lining up at the start at the infamous Charge of the Light Brigade in Crimea, or maybe they feel like leaders of lemmings as the swarm approaches the proverbial cliff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

recedite wrote: »
    Looks like public opinion is strongly against them, and yet they feel compelled to fire the opening salvo. By the end of this campaign, they are going to be shown up as a bunch of bigoted and irrelevant dinosaurs.
    I wonder if they feel like the chaps lining up at the start at the infamous Charge of the Light Brigade in Crimea, or maybe they feel like leaders of lemmings as the swarm approaches the proverbial cliff.

Don't b so sure , this will be a lot closer than you think . Remember everyone opposed to it will come out and vote , whereas those in favour won't.

Big fight ahead .

marienbad wrote: »
    Remember everyone opposed to it will come out and vote , whereas those in favour won't.
    But surely there is a stronger incentive to vote for those who feel they will gain some extra rights, and those who support equal rights in general.
    For people opposed to same sex marriage, there is nothing that they lose if it comes to pass, except perhaps the feeling of self-righteousness. And if they switch at the last minute, and vote yes just to get onto the winning side, they can still hold onto that self-righteous feeling. Nobody likes being the loser caught on the wrong side of history, even if they haven't fully moved with the times in their heart.

recedite wrote: »
    But surely there is a stronger incentive to vote for those who feel they will gain some extra rights, and those who support equal rights in general.
    For people opposed to same sex marriage, there is nothing that they lose if it comes to pass, except perhaps the feeling of self-righteousness. And if they switch at the last minute, and vote yes just to get onto the winning side, they can still hold onto that self-righteous feeling. Nobody likes being the loser caught on the wrong side of history, even if they haven't fully moved with the times in their heart.

You are being reasonable and logical - both irrelevancies to the no side . Why would they oppose it now when it does absolutely no harm to them ?

This is about entrenched beliefs and those people tend to vote , the liberal crowd less so .Why do you think the Republicans control both houses in the US ? Because they get out their vote .

marienbad wrote: »
    You are being reasonable and logical - both irrelevancies to the no side . Why would they oppose it now when it does absolutely no harm to them ?

This is about entrenched beliefs and those people tend to vote , the liberal crowd less so .Why do you think the Republicans control both houses in the US ? Because they get out their vote .

I honestly think you've got it backwards here on the gay marriage vote. This is one issue where people will come out and register their vote in favour.

Oh and there are three reasons why the Republicans control both house and senate, 1) the skew that naturally gives smaller more rural (and more conservative) states and districts representation over what their population should allow, 2) gerrymandering, and 3) vote stealing and other illegal behaviour.

The fact of the matter is that the offices which control elections and districting for elections in the US are political in nature, and the Republicans have long been far better at doing the nasty deeds in these areas than the Democrats (especially after they absorbed the Dixiecrats who had 100 years of experience stealing votes off black folks), allowing their small base to be overrepresented at government level. Electoral results in the US very rarely reflect the democratic will of the people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Oh and there are three reasons why the Republicans control both house and senate, 1) the skew that naturally gives smaller more rural (and more conservative) states and districts representation over what their population should allow, 2) gerrymandering, and 3) vote stealing and other illegal behaviour.

Oh please. Why do people always jump on the 'vote stealing' bandwagon. The Democrats got their asses handed to them because of the failing of the Obama administration, not because of any of the above. Anytime the GOP win an election we always hear the same thing about 'stealing the election'. Maybe just maybe the will of the American people was to get the GOP into both houses and nothing to do with wacky conspiracy theories.

• Advertisement

I honestly think you've got it backwards here on the gay marriage vote. This is one issue where people will come out and register their vote in favour.

The fact of the matter is that the offices which control elections and districting for elections in the US are political in nature, and the Republicans have long been far better at doing the nasty deeds in these areas than the Democrats (especially after they absorbed the Dixiecrats who had 100 years of experience stealing votes off black folks), allowing their small base to be overrepresented at government level. Electoral results in the US very rarely reflect the democratic will of the people.

Lets wait and see then, we had equally strong poll results in previous social issues referenda but lost some and barely squeaked through on others .

The fact of the matter is the conservative vote is older and more committed to this issue and always show the highest turnout in elections .While the liberal vote are younger and more numerous but not the best at turning out to vote. If they were we would have a permanent social democratic majority in virtually every western nation.

What you say on the US is true up to a point - but it validates my point - the democratic vote simply does not turn out midterm , but come the general election Hilary will win in a canter because that election they do turn out .

But All I am saying is the polls can induce a false sense of complacency - this is not a done deal yet .

TBH at this stage I think the more the RCC mouth off, the more it will encourage the Yes vote to turn out. These bishops do not represent the Ireland that the vast majority of people want to live in. The pensioner vote that helped bring in the 8th amendment, and made divorce in 1995 a close-run thing, is dead and the current generation of pensioners aren't all as conservative as they're made out to be. Voters under 50 are overwhelmingly in favour. So, RCC, keep mouthing off and encourage us to turn out to spite you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Another absolute tragedy in Pakistan today.

Mainly children too, just sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

the_monkey wrote: »

Disgusting and awful.

Presumably this tragedy had nothing to do with Islam...? Been busy so have only seen twitter headlines.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

MrPudding wrote: »
    Disgusting and awful.

Presumably this tragedy had nothing to do with Islam...? Been busy so have only seen twitter headlines.

MrP

Nothing to do with it. The Army went into some tribal area, this lot objected and decided to target a school for army families in retaliation.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-30491435
    How precisely they can justify targeting school kids is beyond me, but there ye go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

"A three-year papal investigation into America’s 50,000 nuns, which inspired comparisons with the Inquisition, produced an unexpectedly benign report on Tuesday, containing somewhat tepid reprimands and calling for a careful review of their spiritual practices."
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/dec/16/vatican-inquiry-american-nuns-mild-rebuke-pope

Nodin wrote: »
    Nothing to do with it. The Army went into some tribal area, this lot objected and decided to target a school for army families in retaliation.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-30491435
    How precisely they can justify targeting school kids is beyond me, but there ye go.

At least now there is a chance for the army (especially the ISI, the army intelligence agency) to split the unholy alliance they've had with the Taliban, now that the Taliban have shown their willingness to bite the hand that feeds them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

the_monkey wrote: »

'My son was my dream. My dream has been killed.'
    Source

What a loss.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The Order of Franciscans Minor, aka the Franciscans, appear to have run into some serious financial trouble. No news at this time on exactly what's happened, but the full text of the letter below suggests that the may be bankrupt and that the police have been called in to assist.

http://www.ofm.org/ofm/?p=8757
    [...] First, the General Curia finds itself in grave, and I underscore ‘grave’ financial difficulty, with a significant burden of debt. Second, the systems of financial oversight and control for the management of the patrimony of the Order were either too weak or were compromised, thus limiting their effectiveness to guarantee responsible, transparent management. [...] Third, there appears to have taken place a number of questionable financial activities that were conducted by friars entrusted with the care of the patrimony of the Order without the full knowledge or consent of the former and current General Definitorium. Because of the scope and magnitude of these activities, they have placed the financial stability of the General Curia at grave risk. [...]

Third, there appears to have taken place a number of questionable financial activities that were conducted by friars entrusted with the care of the patrimony of the Order without the full knowledge or consent of the former and current General Definitorium.

I'm sure that's incorrect, the money was just resting in their accounts.

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    The Order of Franciscans Minor, aka the Franciscans, appear to have run into some serious financial trouble. No news at this time on exactly what's happened, but the full text of the letter below suggests that the may be bankrupt and that the police have been called in to assist.

http://www.ofm.org/ofm/?p=8757
    Second, the systems of financial oversight and control for the management of the patrimony of the Order were either too weak or were compromised, thus limiting their effectiveness to guarantee responsible, transparent management.

This to me looks like they were operating the same loose, financially irresponsible and fraudulent scams that the banks were doing before the crash, and have started doing again in the last few years.

But hey, what do you expect from the religion that gave us simony, and is still practising it in the form of mass cards (despite canon laws supposedly outlawing it).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

This to me looks like they were operating the same loose, financially irresponsible and fraudulent scams that the banks were doing before the crash, and have started doing again in the last few years.

But hey, what do you expect from the religion that gave us simony, and is still practising it in the form of mass cards (despite canon laws supposedly outlawing it).

Mass cards are banned under canon law??? This is going to be news to The Mammy.

kylith wrote: »
    Mass cards are banned under canon law??? This is going to be news to The Mammy.

Well selling intercessions to god through the church is simony which was supposedly banned by various church councils from the Concordat of Worms on, and also one of the main gripes which caused Martin Luther to go off in his own direction.

And mass cards are selling intercessions to god through the church.

P.S. I'm not saying they're banned (they are obviously not), I'm just saying that if the rcc applied their own laws in any legitimate fashion they would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

P.S. I'm not saying they're banned (they are obviously not), I'm just saying that if the rcc applied their own laws in any legitimate fashion they would be.

I think it's more likely the RCC applies it's laws in an entirely legitimate fashion by its own lights, just not by yours. And in fairness, they are their own laws.... So they pretty much get to define what is a legitimate fashion.
    P.S. You did say they're outlawed... Even though they are obviously not.

Provincials and Custodes in a number of the Franciscan Conferences also were provided with a brief, albeit incomplete, explanation of our situation and were requested to demonstrate their solidarity with the General Curia through prayer and in other significant ways....
    Is he suggesting that prayer by itself is not significant?
    Ah, I see the matter is clarified further on in the letter....

I ask of all Provincials and Custodes your understanding and for a financial contribution to help address the current situation

Fairly daft alright. But if he follows my cunning plan, Father Gay may get married and yet live to fight another Day.
    The rules are set to allow the poaching of priests from a rival sect with tempting special offers, while not treating the existing priests so well.
    Therefore Fr. Gay should decamp to the Anglicans for a while, and then re-convert to the RCC afterwards, taking along the wife and whatever sprogs he has produced, as extra converts to catholicism. That should make Rome happy, and who knows, he may even be able to displace Fr. Day and get his old job back.

Astrophysicist angers Christians with Christmas tweet
    Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson sparked an Internet supernova on Christmas Day when he took to Twitter to troll Christians.

“On this day long ago, a child was born who, by age 30, would transform the world,” the “Cosmos” host tweeted Thursday. “Happy Birthday Isaac Newton b. Dec 25, 1642.”

— Neil deGrasse Tyson (@neiltyson) December 25, 2014

The meteoric missive by the director of the Hayden Planetarium was retweeted more than 57,000 times and sparked plenty of vitriol.

Think the NY Post might be hyping this up just a tad? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Astrophysicist angers Christians with Christmas tweet

Think the NY Post might be hyping this up just a tad? :rolleyes:

They're owned by Rupert Murdoch, of course they're going to hype it up. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement