Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vehicle Gallery - Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Remember an auld buck telling me once that when they took a corner too hard one night, light came flying off and straight through the window of a parked car. Light got ripped straight out of the socket.

Not sure if they ever went back to retrieve it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

The auld green corolla, one of the longest kept motors in the fleet....

Outside pearse street like a monument

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Remember an auld buck telling me once that when they took a corner too hard one night, light came flying off and straight through the window of a parked car. Light got ripped straight out of the socket.

Not sure if they ever went back to retrieve it

It happened a lot. The roofs on unmarked were usually wrecked with scratches from them.
    Around Mid 90s, a few "low profile" versions appeared, but they plugged into the cigarette lighter.
    That was fine until they realised most cars had the lighter removed by radio workshops to get power for the national radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Dohvolle wrote: »
    Dash strobes came along, and magnetic roof lights ended up stuck to the top (or side) of a locker somewhere.

I would pay good money just to have the flat one.

Always reminds me of seeing the unmarked Granada's in the 80s around the border region.

I would pay good money just to have the flat one.

Always reminds me of seeing the unmarked Granada's in the 80s around the border region.

When I was there in the mid 90s, Their "unmarked" traffic car had no lightbar on the roof, but for all other purposes was marked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

No messing in Manchester https://youtu.be/2Hg-YJ7t5BY

Capri wrote: »
    No messing in Manchester https://youtu.be/2Hg-YJ7t5BY

Proper order

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Outside pearse street like a monument

Still ? I haven't seen it in years but it used to park outside Woodstock in Phibsbourgh some mornings.

Aussie unmarked M3 https://youtu.be/lSXjWADUK6Q

BMWs are really becoming a thing over there now. Seen a few G30 530ds myself when they were introduced. Victoria Highway Patrol are also using X5s. The days of the traditional Falcons and Commodores are limited.

You could say that the Aussie polices forces have more variety then here and possibly the UK from what I've seen. I've even seen an i40 once :eek:

Still ? I haven't seen it in years but it used to park outside Woodstock in Phibsbourgh some mornings.

BMWs are really becoming a thing over there now. Seen a few G30 530ds myself when they were introduced. Victoria Highway Patrol are also using X5s. The days of the traditional Falcons and Commodores are limited.

You could say that the Aussie polices forces have more variety then here and possibly the UK from what I've seen. I've even seen an i40 once :eek:

The days of Falcons and Commodores are gone. They've stopped making them. In fact, Holden as a company ceased at midnight on 31/12/20.

That's why aussie police moved. They'd no choice

The days of Falcons and Commodores are gone. They've stopped making them. In fact, Holden as a company ceased at midnight on 31/12/20.

That's why aussie police moved. They'd no choice

I never realised they pulled out altogether, actually quite shocked to hear that. Guessing the growing popularity for VAG and Koren stuff was probably their demise. You'd never really see older European cars over there tbh.

• Advertisement

I never realised they pulled out altogether, actually quite shocked to hear that. Guessing the growing popularity for VAG and Koren stuff was probably their demise. You'd never really see older European cars over there tbh.

Ford pulled out a few years ago, 2016/17 iirc and Holden changed from a V8 rwd saloon to a rebadged Opel insignia for the Commodore.

That was never going to fit the bill compared to what they were used to.

Police in New Zealand were faced with the same problem. They recently announced they were going with the Skoda Superb

https://i.stuff.co.nz/motoring/300167005/nz-police-select-skoda-to-supply-new-cop-cars-as-holden-rolls-into-sunset

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭irishgti

Big difference on when partol cars are scrapped over there and here.
    " Patrol cars are considered for replacement at an age of six or seven years, or once they reach 120,000km."

irishgti wrote: »
    Big difference on when partol cars are scrapped over there and here.
    " Patrol cars are considered for replacement at an age of six or seven years, or once they reach 120,000km."

That's what our rules say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Is the lack of higher spec/performance cars made available by dealers here a problem for AGS in procuring their fleet? Or is it purely down to cost?

Cost

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

That's what our rules say.

300,000 cars and 500,000 km for vans & specialized

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

donvito99 wrote: »
    Is the lack of higher spec/performance cars made available by dealers here a problem for AGS in procuring their fleet? Or is it purely down to cost?

Cost and driver qualifications with cbd3 as hasn’t being a course in years / ever!

The 5 or 6 marked 530Ds took over 4 years to be attached to units

POGAN wrote: »

300,000 cars and 500,000 km for vans & specialized

Used to be 150k Miles for cars, 50k miles for bikes.

donvito99 wrote: »

When needed they go to UK. The ASU XC70's were special order. More 'recently' the Insignia's were again brought in from UK.

foreign wrote: »
    When needed they go to UK. The ASU XC70's were special order. More 'recently' the Insignia's were again brought in from UK.

I remember chatting to some lads in an ANPR car and they were telling me the ANPR system was bought second hand from the PSNI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

And add this stuff on to it as well.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40204202.html

The largest item expenditure was in the purchase of vehicles, which came to €8.3m and was paid to three different carmakers
    — Jaguar Land Rover Ireland, Hyundai Ireland, and Ford.

Land Rovers?????

And add this stuff on to it as well.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40204202.html

The largest item expenditure was in the purchase of vehicles, which came to €8.3m and was paid to three different carmakers
    — Jaguar Land Rover Ireland, Hyundai Ireland, and Ford.

Land Rovers?????

Water unit

Would I have seen a marked Garda Kona yesterday? It seemed too small to be a Tuscon.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Would I have seen a marked Garda Kona yesterday? It seemed too small to be a Tuscon.

Yes, unfortunately yes you did.....

There is 20 something of them

Yes, unfortunately yes you did.....

There is 20 something of them

Someone in HQ must have thought "you know, we never replaced the fiesta patrol cars with anything".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Someone in HQ must have thought "you know, we never replaced the fiesta patrol cars with anything".
    What's wrong with a kona ? ( Obviously for local use, not as a pursuit or road policing unit)
    I'm surprised that they're not using kona evs , the life cost should be way lower than petrol or diesel ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Water unit

Is there anything a discovery can do that a land cruiser can't ? ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    What's wrong with a kona ? ( Obviously for local use, not as a pursuit or road policing unit)
    I'm surprised that they're not using kona evs , the life cost should be way lower than petrol or diesel ..

Try driving one wearing a stab vest. Try being a member at the taller end of the scale, wearing a stab vest trying to get in or out of one, let alone drive one.
    Any garda vehicle could end up being the one that has to keep in contact with criminals who are trying to evade capture. It isn't always RSU or Road Policing.

• Advertisement

Markcheese wrote: »
    Is there anything a discovery can do that a land cruiser can't ? ,

No, afaik it came down to the disco and the land cruiser but there was a supply issue with the Toyota at the time.

Someone tried to give them a 2.0 Tuscon initially

Advertisement