Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LEAP CARD - Updated Summary of Cards / Functionality Available - August 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,559 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Folks, silly question but I use the card for irish rail and the Luas. Tonight I need to take a Dublin bus. Do I put the card on the machine by the driver and tell him where I'm going on use it on the machine to the right as you enter the bus? Presumably if it's the latter I also need to tag off?

Many thanks.

Different fares apply depending on where you are going - you tag on only on the bus - no tag off.

Best to go to the driver and tell him where you are going and let him deduct the appropriate fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Folks, silly question but I use the card for irish rail and the Luas. Tonight I need to take a Dublin bus. Do I put the card on the machine by the driver and tell him where I'm going on use it on the machine to the right as you enter the bus? Presumably if it's the latter I also need to tag off?

Many thanks.

I think using it on the machine to the right as you enter deducts the maximum fare. A mistake I made the first time I used a leap card on the bus..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

If I am paying for somebody else with my leap card too, does it cost the leap fare or cash fare?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If I am paying for somebody else with my leap card too, does it cost the leap fare or cash fare?
    Leap fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sean9015

Is there a bug on the Leapcard website? If I try to log in using Chrome, I get a continual rejection of my user details, but if I use IE it works! Even stranger, the forgotten password link works from Chrome, resetting the password works in Chrome, but when it comes to logging in it again rejects the details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Drop customer support an email.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Leap is far from being a "Poor System",as given it's admittledly poorly handled introduction,it has matured very well indeed.

I would argue that while Leap has certainly improved and matured, it is still relatively a poor system that has an awful lot of improving to do and is about 5 to 10 years behind similar systems in other countries.

The biggest issue continues to be the need to very slowly interact with the driver for the majority of fares. We really need to move to either a flat fare or tag-on/tag-off now.

But that isn't the only problem.

The fact that you can't apply online top-ups on buses is pretty stupid. This was something you can do on buses in Atlanta since 2006, almost 10 years ago! No excuse, DB/NTA need to install new ticket machines now that can support this and other "advanced" features.

The fact that auto-topup needs to take €40 of your money is way too much. Plus the entire setup and admin of auto-topup is incredibly brain dead. The fact that you can only pay for it by direct debit and not by credit or debit card pre-auth is pretty stupid. And god help you if the direct debit doesn't go through. Your card gets blocked and you have to fill in a form with your bank details and send it and your card to them to get it unlocked! Also there is no way to update your direct debit details online!

All completely crazy for any sort of modern payment system. This is all sort of stuff I would have expected 10 years ago, not today.

Fortunately things are improving, the new NFC app which will allow you check the balance of your card and top-up directly looks great and will hopefully help with some of these issues.

And I'm also hoping contact-less EMV support will follow shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Infrequent leapcard user, card is empty.
    If I topup online now, can I use the credit later this evening or should I just topup at the station?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Top up at the station if you are going to use it this evening. Online top ups are not available until tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭leecurlywurly

Hi,

Having recently moved to Ashbourne and now use buses. The Bus Eireann & Leap card website offer poor information on capping from Ashbourne.

I am getting the bus tomorrow and need to know what tickets to get;

- Ashbourne to Santry
    - Santry to City Centre
    - Dublin City to Ashbourne

Normally I buy Red 24hour ticket for work commute - will these cover Dublin buses?

If not, is it one way tickets for all buses tomorrow and presumably there will be a cap at some stage?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I don't think there's any capping from Bus Éirean to Dublin bus, so they'd all be single leap fare journeys

There is no capping as the above poster has said. It will be separate journeys. You can also get a 7 day red zone ticket. Depending on how much you use it it may work out cheaper.

You might be better getting a day return to Dublin online on the BE website - it's discounted and can be cheaper than two LEAP singles.

Capping only applies to Dublin Bus, LUAS and Irish Rail short hop trips, not on BE.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Is ePurse now live on the Cork-Cobh/Midleton line? Will be down that way in a few weeks and may use it.

Post #1 still shows as unavailable but I'm almost certain that I saw a Tweet recently from IE that it was now live but can't find it, the Leap site still shows it as coming soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Has been for almost a month now. NTA tend to be rather quiet about announcing these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Has been for almost a month now. NTA tend to be rather quiet about announcing these things.

Thanks, surprised it hasn't been mentioned here - or perhaps it has and I missed it :)

GM228 wrote: »
    Is ePurse now live on the Cork-Cobh/Midleton line? Will be down that way in a few weeks and may use it.

Post #1 still shows as unavailable but I'm almost certain that I saw a Tweet recently from IE that it was now live but can't find it, the Leap site still shows it as coming soon.

Give me a chance to update it - I do have a life to lead as well lol!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

The fares etc are on the Irish rail and leap card websites. Not clear if capping applies in cork though.

http://www.irishrail.ie/fares-and-tickets/cork-cobh-midleton

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jcn50

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    Edit : Never mind, it appears to work now that I switched browser from Firefox to Chrome.

Thanks a lot!! I have been waiting for weekS for the customer support to come back to me because I had "Page not found" too...
    I have just placed my order now :). I would say that they are losing a lot of sales because of this...

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Is asked about the official app (with top up and balance check via smartphone) on Twitter and they replied saying it is still in the works and will be released soon.

• Advertisement

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    Is asked about the official app (with top up and balance check via smartphone) on Twitter and they replied saying it is still in the works and will be released soon.

I am on the app trial. I got an email the other day saying that it was finishing up soon and that I would be asked to provide feedback.

I presume they will be launching it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭maclek

I am on the app trial. I got an email the other day saying that it was finishing up soon and that I would be asked to provide feedback.

I presume they will be launching it soon.

I found this page: https://about.leapcard.ie/leap-top-up-app Spent a while looking for the damn app in the play store. Apparently it is still in beta? Doesn't mention that anywhere on the page!

Yes the beta is coming to an end. I presume it won't be long before it is launched

Released :)

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

Anyone tried to top-up using the app and it won't update the balance? My card was debited, it's just pending now. Thought the top up would be instant :/

Same here, is pending but nothing happened with my leap card. Payment seemed successful and it went back to the balance screen without the balance applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Strange, I used it a couple of times during the beta and it updated no problem.

Did you scan the card again after the top up?

Yes scanned it a couple of times but still the same amount as I had yesterday, I sent an email to leapcard support - hope theyll refund it or fix the issue with the balance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

Yup, scanned it several times, still no updated balance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement