Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHICH BIPOD ?

Options
  • 28-11-2015 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I intend buying a 9" - 13" bipod for my CZ 455 .22 syn.I have no intention of breaking the bank on a Harris model.Whichever make I go for, I want it to have Pivot + Traverse features and also spring loaded legs. I have been researching the following, -- Champion,Caldwell,Deben and Blackhawk. If needs be I'll do without the Traversing feature.Any suggestions or recommendations welcome, (prices,quality,where to buy etc)
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I take it this is a hunting rifle and not for targets?I have a deben swivel on my .223 for about 4 years and I can't fault it, never let me down. Pop out legs on springs with a button release and a good stable Base. At the time I bought it I said I'd get it to tie me over until I got a few more quid together for the Harris but there was nothing wrong with the deben so I kept it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭J.R.

I have the Caldwell bipod on a Savage .22LR for the last ten years.

No problems with it......still as good as the day it was bought.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Another vote for the Deben.

I have Harris, but when looking for another all my dealer had was the Deben. I took a chance and bought it. Since then i've not had a problem with, ever.

It has the exact same features as the Harris, in every way, but is around the €75-€80 mark and not €130 that the Harris cost.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

I've had Deben and Harris and by far the Harris is the better of the two.

I've had Deben and Harris and by far the Harris is the better of the two.

Better how? I couldn't tell the difference. Had a Harris on my hmr. Will probably end up putting the same on my .242 when the license comes through so curious to hear

• Advertisement

aaakev wrote: »
    Better how? I couldn't tell the difference. Had a Harris on my hmr. Will probably end up putting the same on my .242 when the license comes through so curious to hear

I just found that the legs came down smoother on the Harris and when they were in the folded position they were both in the same place, the legs on the deben always looked canted and not perfectly back in their home position. When I pressed the button for the legs to pop out on the deben, they didn't do anything you had to pull them out yourself.

Also I got a podlock for my harris but it wasn't interchangable with the deben.

There's a difference alright.

I just found that the legs came down smoother on the Harris and when they were in the folded position they were both in the same place, the legs on the deben always looked canted and not perfectly back in their home position. When I pressed the button for the legs to pop out on the deben, they didn't do anything you had to pull them out yourself.

My deben had spring loaded legs, press the button and theyou shot out to full extension, only from fully closed though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Not so common here, because postge is crazy from the US but I have the blackHawk. Great bipod and the legs spring closed instead of open which surprisingly comes in handy.

Also have a snipersystems, two of us got one each. all was good till the claw that grabs the sling stud on mine gave way. They have since replaced it and they have a lifetime warranty.

The traverse is just a gimic. Rarely use it on the Blackhawk, you cant turn your body to match the traverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭freddieot

Using a Harris for the last 12 years. Have had it on various rifles, big and small. Never any problem and all it ever got was the occasional wipe with a rag. I suspect it will outlast me

Not against other makes, maybe some are excellent, but definitely I believe the Harris is worth the money. I would buy another one in preference to anything else because for me it has proven its worth and I would not be risking any money. (I like to only cry once when I pay for something)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭TombstoneT

aaakev wrote: »
    I take it this is a hunting rifle and not for targets?I have a deben swivel on my .223 for about 4 years and I can't fault it, never let me down. Pop out legs on springs with a button release and a good stable Base. At the time I bought it I said I'd get it to tie me over until I got a few more quid together for the Harris but there was nothing wrong with the deben so I kept it

Hi AAAKEV,
    The rifle is for hunting but also for target shooting which is why I was hoping for a traverse feature on the bipod.Maybe it's unnecessary but I have never used a bipod of either type so I am open to advice.Can I ask where you bought it?
    Thanks for your prompt reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

Sorry to sound thick, but what is a "podlock" ? Is it a case to carry it in?

Cass wrote: »
    Another vote for the Deben.

I have Harris, but when looking for another all my dealer had was the Deben. I took a chance and bought it. Since then i've not had a problem with, ever.

It has the exact same features as the Harris, in every way, but is around the €75-€80 mark and not €130 that the Harris cost.

Hi Cass,
    Thanks for the info. Do you think the traverse feature is really necessary, or is it a bit of a gimmick?I have never used a bipod (other than on the 7.62 MAG at work).I do some target shooting (mostly for zeroing and testing different ammo at different ranges)but mostly hunting.Also,where can I buy such a bipod within the R.O.I.I'm not too familiar with internet purchasing.

Thanks again,
    TombstoneT.

Any gun shop will have bipods, what's your nearest shop?

nywhere in the East or South of the country.I travel around with work so either area no hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭freddieot

never used a bipod (other than on the 7.62 MAG at work).

What rifle is this ? I've never heard of a 7.62 Mag ? Who makes them ?

Hi Freddieot,
    Sorry for confusion, just the usual on the job reference to the 7.62 General Purpose Machine Gun made in Belgium by Fabrique Nationale(FN GPMG). Great to shoot on the bipod but a bit rattley when fired from the hip

rsole1 wrote: »
    Sorry to sound thick, but what is a "podlock" ? Is it a case to carry it in?

On the back of the Harris bipods that swivel there is a little nut that you can tighten with your hand to stop the bipod from swivelling. Anyway the standard nut is a bastard to tighten but you can get an aftermarket handle which allows you to tighten without all the cursing and swearing.

Google pod lock.

Advertisement