Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭etuzyuk

That would be great. There should be a culture of hard work they come into, nothing should come easy, but hard work should always be rewarded too regardless of experience. Likewise if standards have dropped, so should the person, regardless of experience.

I really liked Hyland as a manager of the squad. Mightn't have been the best sometimes tactically and not "jazzy" enough for a lot of casual fans, but I genuinely can't remember two no show performances in a row under him. In fact don't remember too many at all. You could not slack off with him. He still had the dressing room and I think he should have stayed on but maybe he felt his voice was waning and would eventually lose the support of the clubs. But we progressed ever year under him and innovated on tactics. Left a great squad in a great position for the men coming next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭rrs

It was a strong panel in 2016. The likes of Keating was coming in off the bench. Givney was playing full forward. The last year either player featured with Cavan. The likes of Monaghan and Armagh hold on to their players a lot longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

We Are Cavan have said since he left because a section of the players wanted him to. It was very short sighted unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mogue77

any word of who is in for the job of running the development squads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭tazman06

Senior fixtures for 2 weeks time announced

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭quidel7

Don’t know why it says Reserve championship on the above!

Yeah they sent new fixture sheet minutes after with that corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I definitely remember hearing something about lads "wanting a fresh approach". I also seem to remember that the county board were only willing to give Terry one more year as opposed to something more long-term. I may be completely off the mark there.

Either way, at the time I thought it was one of the most ludicrous decisions ever made. Barring 2014, year on year there was progress and the football we played in 2016 was superb. On a practical basis, Terry had earned the right to have a crack at division one football. In hindsight, maybe what was needed was freshing up the backroom team (which seems to be the norm now). He was a brilliant manager and didn't get the credit he deserved, then or now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mylestheslasher

The thing is things had stalled a bit with Terry regarding championship, our league form was decent with him but we didnt seem to be able to step it up. And I was a great admirer of Terry and am so grateful for what he did for Cavan football at the time. The decision to move to a new man did pay dividends, we contested 2 Ulster finals in a row and won one of them. However it went stale under Graham too and the relegation to Div 4 was utterly disastrous for us. So overall I cant say that the decision for Terry to move on was a bad one overall but I think Cavan GAA should have done everything they could to get the man back in with the underage teams where he was so good. Lets hope Raymond can tweak things and get some improvements from last year.

Speaking of underage I see our U16s won the Gerry Reilly tournament, easily beating Meath in the final.

That was the semi final against Meath. They play Kildare in the final. Terry Hyland done a good job and the next appointment after was important but there wasn't much interest at the time which looked strange. James Horan, Anthony Cunnigham, Pat Gilroy some of the names that were approached and turned it down. It came down to Mattie McGleenan and Banty.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mogue77

I agree fully with this, one thing I would have liked to see is keeping Terry back to the county underage teams which he was very good at but keep Mickey Graham back to underage teams also because he was very good with the minors and was very unlucky to lose out to all Ireland winning minor teams on a few occasions and then let them have another chance at senior if they wanted after a few years.

I see Packie Leddy was man of the match in Division 2 League final in Mayo today.

That looks a tough enough job to be taking on. Leitrim will do well to stay up in Division 3. They were well off the pace in the Division 4 final against Laois, and faded badly against Wicklow in Tailtean Cup. He was part of the management in 24 so obviously see's some potential. The best forward Keith Beirne didn't play this year.

• Advertisement

Cavstream €250 for season pass this year. Was it not €150 last year? Hardly worth buying when a weekend pass is €20 and the championship is only 7 or 8 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭celt262

No value in that they would be better off without the season pass than trying to fool people.

Denn v Drumgoon must have been a thriller. 7pts to 6 to Denn. A shocking score in good conditions.

As I’ve said in the past, being competitive doesn’t stop the intermediate championship being of a poor standard. There is light years between it and even the lower levels of senior.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Intermediate Championship is of a lower standard than Senior Championship. Incredible analysis.

• Advertisement

I didn’t say it was of a “lower standard”. I said there is “light years” between the upper teams in intermediate and even the lower levels in senior. A far bigger gap than you would expect.

That is why we see teams consistently get relegated and come back up or come up and go straight back down.

Watch the last couple of finals and semi finals. Terrible quality. Basic errors by all sides.

What are the thoughts on our county senior manager returning to club football?

He must be the only intercounty manager in the country doing it.

You could see it as admirable that he’s answered the call of his club in a time of need but then I remember Finbarr O’Reilly famously telling how Terry Hyland said to him when he was trying to play county senior and manage Lacken minors - “you can’t serve two masters Finbarr”.

Not a big issue really. With the stream service he would see plenty of games ,and they have games from Thursday to Sunday so lots of games to get around when he is not playing.

If it was a knockout championship it might be a issue with a smaller number of games to view.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Yeah Laverty still playing with Kilcoo. Vinny Corey was playing with Clontibret while managing Monaghan. Galligan is 37 so still capable of playing.

No issue with it.

Watching a stream is a long way from watching a live game. Sure you only follow the ball on a stream, you can’t see alot of the off the ball movement and runs. Why else do you think you see GAA managers going to live games when they could just watch coverage on RTÉ?

I will accept though that he has a big enough management team that they should be able to cover games.

A big backroom team. They are capable of viewing games. Each team plays 4 games before the quarter final, he would see most teams in action at least once or watch on a stream.

When teams can lose 2 or 3 games and make a quarter final it's not high intensity before the quarter finals.

Also the fact that there are games from Thursday to Sunday usually so he will have three days free himself to go so every chance to see every team in action.

Who is over u15/16 development squads?

• Advertisement

I asked a player that one week and was told “whoever is available” that weekend.

Just seen Denn with a post up on facebook they have 6 of there u16 squad in there seems alot of lads from one club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Must be a fella from Denn over them if its anything like the games going to crosskeys also 😋

Quigley would be one of the players. He looked decent for the Minors this year

Isn't it six between the u16 and u15 squad. Dermot McCabe over u16 squad I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Looks like 9 between the 2 squads which is not that uncommon if the teams is competitive at both levels

Six on the U15 and three on the U16 they have. Nine in total between the two development teams. Dermot McCabe is not directly over any squad.

That means nine of Denn’s starting 15 in U16 are involved in development squads.

Doubt McCabe too happy today. Silly decisions cost them, should have had the win wrapped up. Great battling from Kingscourt, very competitive performance from them but looked to be hanging in just about for a good period, especially after the red. But they stuck at it and got their draw with the last kick of the game rattling the onion bag. Good game overall I thought.

• Advertisement

Just Nathan Quigley I think. He was one of a few of the U16 panel moved up to play with the minors.

The Denn U18 team is amalgamated with Ballinagh (St Thomas). They won Division 3 League against Blackwater earlier this year. It went to penalties.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

The Mighty Lough announce their arrival in the now annual competition to lose the county final to Gowna.

Lavey very poor. How can a team play a blanket and still concede 4-14?

I think the We Are Cavan lads are right and relegation is between them, Laragh & Castlerahan but they are definitely the early pace setters.

We’ll need to improve our shooting. Should have scored a lot more.

Lavey extremely poor. Lough very poor shooting at times but then some scoring bursts and very good passages of play ran up a decent score in the end. Solid looking outfit, decent options off the bench, won't fear too many but might struggle up front with regards to lifting the trophy.

Early days, next couple of draws should make things interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mylestheslasher

4-14 and poor shooting. Jesus.

Crosserlough have a huge pick compared to Gowna . 1 County title in the last 30 or 40 years is poor from Crosserlough.

Drung after beating Knockbride and Belturbet in the first 2 rounds in Junior. A few ex County players back playing with them Barry Watters and Ciaran Galligan. The Reilly brothers would be a loss Tiernan and Caolan ,but they are doing well without them.

• Advertisement

Surprise win for Mullahoran. Great performance by Cormac O’Reilly.

For all the talk of the Gaels after the League, they looked very ordinary.

Seanie and Lyng under pressure after a dreadful managerial performance in Ballybay last year.

I actually didn't see it as a huge surprise. Mullahoran have been waiting to make a mark in a big game and push on, and this was it. Gaels an older team, Mullahoran quite young overall, and this now looks a signature win and should be pushing on now with the youth they have

I said to the lads here that if Mullahoran were in it mid 2nd half that they win it and so it proved. Gaels running on fumes and no ideas end of it, looking for goals from early. Mullahoran county men were the difference. Gunner had a handle on GMac, Cormac very very good, and McKeogh decent too. Being able to bring on Enda to slot over a few points a difference maker too. Big result for them and trajectory the right direction now with youth

I wouldn’t see beating the Gaels as a statement win in a “big game”. The Gaels are past their best. I’d wonder what the average age of the squad is but the bulk of their team must be 30 or over and their subs were all 34 or 35.

A statement win is to beat one of the three top teams - Gowna, Crosserlough or Ramor.

Ramor just cruised through that game against Ballyhaise. It was pedestrian stuff. Ballyhaise had seven lads back for a kick out at one stage and still managed to allow a turnover.

Cavan Gaels only had Luke Fortune with the County panel I think so were mostly at full strength during the League. They don't have the punch up front like when Johnston Dunne and Lyng were playing. Mullahoran have some good young players and will be looking to make the quarter finals.

• Advertisement
Advertisement