Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computing Students

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

I see big changes afoot with some computing courses(new modules, whole semesters changed to work experience etc ) good to see things being freshened up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

JFlah wrote: »
    I see big changes afoot with some computing courses(new modules, whole semesters changed to work experience etc ) good to see things being freshened up.

Are we affected next year?

AntiRip wrote: »
    Are we affected next year?
    I,m not sure to be honest is it applicable from now or is it the structure of courses starting in September...... I hope we are though it's much better.

I,m not sure to be honest is it applicable from now or is it the structure of courses starting in September...... I hope we are though it's much better.

Do you have a link of these changes? It would be interesting to read. Cheers.

Would love to have the work experience changed to next year. Would love a break from the norm and get to see the type of work out there

Do you have a link of these changes? It would be interesting to read. Cheers.

Would love to have the work experience changed to next year. Would love a break from the norm and get to see the type of work out there
    could,nt agree more would definitely be a change for the better.

Just go to courses section of ITT website.

could,nt agree more would definitely be a change for the better.

Just go to courses section of ITT website.

Cheers lad ;) You enjoying the time off? I think I've already lost 80% of what I've learnt already :D

Cheers lad ;) You enjoying the time off? I think I've already lost 80% of what I've learnt already :D
    yeah it,s great but same as that my retention isn't what it used to be hopefully all the important stuff will still be in there somewhere.... :eek:

At least no repeats to worry about .

Exactly. I think I will go through all the labs again in Java soon just to keep it retained. It's amazing without the practice how you can slip back a bit. Although everyday I keep saying "ok definitely tomorrow, will start tomorrow" :D

Exactly. I think I will go through all the labs again in Java soon just to keep it retained. It's amazing without the practice how you can slip back a bit. Although everyday I keep saying "ok definitely tomorrow, will start tomorrow" :D
    We all do that ..... going through the labs is a good idea , though not the most exciting prospect !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I'm the exact same, I told myself as soon as it comes to July I'm gonna start some java so I better get cracking. Either of you guys gonna do any C#?

• Advertisement

siblers wrote: »
    I'm the exact same, I told myself as soon as it comes to July I'm gonna start some java so I better get cracking. Either of you guys gonna do any C#?

I'm not anyway. I'll be lucky to do Java. I'm away until next month so will look over Java then hopefully. C# is similar to VB isn't it? Can't see myself learning a new language in a couple months anyway.

I worked so hard over the year I need my family time and enjoy playing around with my small fella. Come September I'll be locked into the computer room again so I'm making the best of the time off :)

I'm not anyway. I'll be lucky to do Java. I'm away until next month so will look over Java then hopefully. C# is similar to VB isn't it? Can't see myself learning a new language in a couple months anyway.

I worked so hard over the year I need my family time and enjoy playing around with my small fella. Come September I'll be locked into the computer room again so I'm making the best of the time off :)

I'm the same myself, I was expecting to be bored out of my brains but the holidays are flying so far.

I'm the same myself, I was expecting to be bored out of my brains but the holidays are flying so far.

I know. 6 weeks gone already and I'm finding it great. Some brief periods of good weather and catching up on some tv, movies and games keeping me busy so far :)

Have ye seen the changes for next year? Looks like we have work placement 2nd semester. No mention of any projects next semester. Just ordinary modules.

Have ye seen the changes for next year? Looks like we have work placement 2nd semester. No mention of any projects next semester. Just ordinary modules.
    Yes it looks good.
    Hopefully it applies to us and not just courses commencing this year

I'd say the two Object Oriented modules will be project based, one is for making an App and the other is a group project in C#.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Nidge_Weasel

Hi guys, delighted to see this seems to be the most active thread on this forum, as it suits me down to the ground to ask a few questions!

I will be transferring from AIT to ITT this september for 4th year in the BSc In computing in software engineering. The main question I wanted to ask was that many of the student villages and the likes advertise themselves as being either close to the IT's north or south campus, so I need to ask, what campus will my course be based at?

Second of all, whats it like, what languages, technologies, facilities you guys got?

And finally is there much part time work available down there, as I wouldnt like to have to travel up to Athlone each weekend to work, Id nearly burn what I earned in fuel!

Any help from you guys would be great! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,760 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Hi guys, delighted to see this seems to be the most active thread on this forum, as it suits me down to the ground to ask a few questions!

I will be transferring from AIT to ITT this september for 4th year in the BSc In computing in software engineering. The main question I wanted to ask was that many of the student villages and the likes advertise themselves as being either close to the IT's north or south campus, so I need to ask, what campus will my course be based at?

Second of all, whats it like, what languages, technologies, facilities you guys got?

And finally is there much part time work available down there, as I wouldnt like to have to travel up to Athlone each weekend to work, Id nearly burn what I earned in fuel!

Any help from you guys would be great! :D

You will be in the north campus

There are accommodation beside the main NC but it can be isolated, but if your 4th year, socializing will be a low priority anyway. There is kings court where I think there is a bus route. There is also the student apartments An Sean Mhuileann something or other

Languages are mainly C# and Java as they are the biggest employers.

Facilities - In the NC there is a Library, canteen and study hall and lots of lecture rooms and labs, nothing terribly exciting tbf. In the SC there is a gym.

As for finding work, ill leave that to someone more knowledgeable but a bit of networking might set you up.

I'd say the two Object Oriented modules will be project based, one is for making an App and the other is a group project in C#.

OOA&D is apparently the toughest module we'll ever do but I'm hoping I have just spoken to a few who did'nt like it !!

• Advertisement

OOA&D is apparently the toughest module we'll ever do but I'm hoping I have just spoken to a few who did'nt like it !!

Yeah, heard a few horror stories myself. Seemed the module was very badly laid out with students getting very little support. Not really sure what the pass/fail ratio was but anyone who passed seemed to scrape by

Yeah, heard a few horror stories myself. Seemed the module was very badly laid out with students getting very little support. Not really sure what the pass/fail ratio was but anyone who passed seemed to scrape by
    yeah same ....delivery of the module was the issue , be a shame though if a poor module could ruin an otherwise good grade overall

Im just going to give some pointers on that module (OOAD) in question because I hear the same complaints alot about it being a bit chaotic. More than likely he will be teaching agile development which basically is the opposite to what CW taught ye last year with the waterfall approach.

Basically there will be a project (under the assumption it doesn't change), last year it was a restaurant management system, take orders, pay the bill, replenish stock bla bla ect. So ye will be broke into groups and each would handle a different component ie. take orders from a customer.

So with that, your group will come up with user story(ies) as there called, an example being "As a customer I want to be able to place an order" and other example could be "As a customer I want to cancel an order". With each one of these stories will break it up into more smaller sub tasks, like I don't know maybe I need to create a customer class, and order class and so on and test it. You assign each one of these sub tasks to a different member of the group.

Stories normally reside on a back log, you pick some of these stories and go in to what is called a "sprint" which is basically a commitment to get so many stories resolved in a certain period of time (week should do for one of these stories, dont go mad, your not being paid here).

The BIG problem for a lot of ye is it is yere first exposure to TFS ( Team Foundation Server) which is a source control system (managing your code base), games will more than likely have seen this. Also it will be a lot of your guys first exposure to C# and mixed in with a healthy dash of agile development theory.

The second is PICK YOUR GROUP WISELY. This is important, if you get good group members that will get together and hammer out a couple of stories and get them into tfs, you will be golden, the marks should start accumulating nicely.

If ye have any more ques ill answer them.

What's the actual coding like? Would us poor folk who would be average at java struggle with it?

Should survive on java, but it wouldn't hurt to try a few tuts in the meantime to get used of the differences (lists are your friend :D). Last year, he did some DB stuff but at least he had done some video tuts for that so it wasn't too bad. Its a heavy subject alright, with a lot being thrown at you in a short space of time but if you keep at it and don't get (too) despondent you should get through alright.

What's the actual coding like? Would us poor folk who would be average at java struggle with it?

I've been messing around with some C# .... it'll be no bother to you .. slightly different syntax to Java but plenty of similarities

• Advertisement

I've been messing around with some C# .... it'll be no bother to you .. slightly different syntax to Java but plenty of similarities

Can you do c# on the vb program? I guess bucky on thenewboston has plenty of tutorials also

Can you do c# on the vb program? I guess bucky on thenewboston has plenty of tutorials also

Yeah I,m using Visual Studio, there is loads of stuff online

CoderDozer wrote: »
    You will be in the north campus

There are accommodation beside the main NC but it can be isolated, but if your 4th year, socializing will be a low priority anyway. There is kings court where I think there is a bus route. There is also the student apartments An Sean Mhuileann something or other

Languages are mainly C# and Java as they are the biggest employers.

Facilities - In the NC there is a Library, canteen and study hall and lots of lecture rooms and labs, nothing terribly exciting tbf. In the SC there is a gym.

As for finding work, ill leave that to someone more knowledgeable but a bit of networking might set you up.

Thanks for the help so far! I better start attacking some C# as all my programming so far in AIT has been Java, C++ and python.

I assume this OOA&D you guys are talking about is the Software Project Management, and Software Design Patterns modules as listed on the website?

I assume this OOA&D you guys are talking about is the Software Project Management, and Software Design Patterns modules as listed on the website?

nah, that's a 3rd year deal.

Thanks for the help so far! I better start attacking some C# as all my programming so far in AIT has been Java, C++ and python.

From what I,ve seen so far if you have a degree of competency in Java and a grasp of OO concepts you'll be grand.

• Advertisement

From what I,ve seen so far if you have a degree of competency in Java and a grasp of OO concepts you'll be grand.

Thats great to hear! Well I did have a grasp of OO concepts in May, not so sure about now, damn summer!:pac:

Thats great to hear! Well I did have a grasp of OO concepts in May, not so sure about now, damn summer!:pac:

We're all in the same boat !:eek:

So anybody here going into 4th year? What companies usually do people do their placements in? Does the college help you get a placement/ sort something out if you dont find one? and most cheekily of all, is there a chance of a paid placement? :P

I'm guessing we'll be doing work placement in 2nd semester of third year as its in the modules when you register online. Semester one looks like it will be as tough as nails though.

Well guys its nearly time .... everyone all set ?

Well guys its nearly time .... everyone all set ?

Are you mad! :D

I've gotten so lazy over the summer I think I'll be too lazy to drive back to college I say

Are you mad! :D

I've gotten so lazy over the summer I think I'll be too lazy to drive back to college I say
    Yeah its been long and lazy alright :)

Yeah its been long and lazy alright :)

I'm actually a bit more worried now this year than the others. Can't sit down for more the 5 mins looking at Java or anything else. When you know you don't have to do it I guess.

A lot of uncertainty also this year with the change. Do you have to find your own work experience or are the interviews lined up for you. Hope its local as I wouldn't be able to afford to go further away. I guess we'll find out all the details when we go back. Have you heard anything yourself?

I'm actually a bit more worried now this year than the others. Can't sit down for more the 5 mins looking at Java or anything else. When you know you don't have to do it I guess.

A lot of uncertainty also this year with the change. Do you have to find your own work experience or are the interviews lined up for you. Hope its local as I wouldn't be able to afford to go further away. I guess we'll find out all the details when we go back. Have you heard anything yourself?

Not a thing , we are the guinea pigs it seems ... same as you I,m a bit stressed already , expecting a tough tough year

Not a thing , we are the guinea pigs it seems ... same as you I,m a bit stressed already , expecting a tough tough year

Yes tough. Although it's only 12 weeks this year. I'm guessing when you're working there's no study so that will be nice. Also looks to be no entrepreneurship which has to be good judging from last semester :). Some new modules too I think. Hope it's good.

• Advertisement

It'll be good to see the folks from our class again but I'm not really looking forward to the course. Done feck all work over the summer. Bit nervous about the work experience too I must admit.

just dunno what to expect from it
    the new modules sound good
    I wonder how many will be back

Big Fish games in cork closed down recently, wasnt so long ago we had a fella from there speaking about how good of a place it was to work for.

Big Fish games in cork closed down recently, wasnt so long ago we had a fella from there speaking about how good of a place it was to work for.

I was thinking that myself. Great place to work for alright, describing their redundancy packages as “barely above minimum legal amounts”.

Just remember whoever or wherever you work you'll only be a number, at the end of the day they don't give a sh$t about you.

Sad news to hear this happening, especially in the games scene which we are behind in as it is. I remember that presentation, they had lots of talk of how great it was to work but had little mention of recruiting at the time which was a pity/blessing in disguise??.

But I think you hit the nail on the head, you are just a number so what do you do? I reckon the best job is to become your own boss that way you can become the pigeon instead of being the statue that gets **** on, damn I would love to do it but its such a huge commitment and risk, and the whole coming up with the great idea that would make it sell makes brain hurt. Damn, Ill just have to settle with being a number for a while longer :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

It's a hard fact alright thought they were doing well. They were advertising jobs there last year. Hard to believe some I.T companies getting the brunt of recession despite the industry doing well in general. Was it hp that were letting people go? You think the games development industry be booming still since employers were all about it a few years ago?

My concern is that some companies relocate some have. The likes of what happened to dell you wonder?! They still selling dell products but its not a booming company. Is it still closed in limerick or has it reopened or they limited locations or working along side other companies?

You know for work experience, do you still get regular college holidays, like would you get 2 weeks off for easter etc.

You know for work experience, do you still get regular college holidays, like would you get 2 weeks off for easter etc.

No idea sorry. I hope they explain the work placement element to us pretty early after we go back

Hopefully, I'm pretty curious as to how the whole thing works. When are we back, is it Monday week?

• Advertisement

Hopefully, I'm pretty curious as to how the whole thing works. When are we back, is it Monday week?

Yeah back the 16th probably be the usual mess for the 1st week though

Advertisement