Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 189 -Chad Mendes v Conor McGregor

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I do indeed, second round stoppage after Conor picks him apart for the first one. I think Aldo is wise enough to not get KO'd early and tries to keep his distance in the first but takes a beating over the course of the round and Conor will grind him down and I think he crumbles in the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Lads I reckoned it wouldnt go past 2 rounds with a KO from Conor in the lead up ,but im after re watching the first 2 rounds of Aldo mendes 2 im astounded with the speed and power of Aldo and to a slightly lesser extent Mendes aswell in the first couple if rounds.i must have been asleep watching it in real time. Conor will not have seen anything like this before, if he does his usual hands down what you got attitude when he gets cocky he could be in trouble. .having said all that ill be having a bet closer to the event, im gonna go with Conor Ko round 3, if Conor doesn't get majorly tagged in the first he will break him down as Aldo gasses, no man can keep up that speed he showed in the first two rounds. Just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Axwell wrote: »
    JK, Mendes and Jonas Bilharinho all on the MMA hour and say they feel Aldo will fight. Mendes saying he feels Aldo will fight, that he has heard mixed things about the injury and how bad it was. All looking good at the minute, guess we will know more on Tuesday for sure.

Will listen to the full show tomorrow in work but this is all great news for those of us making the trip over. Nobody wants to see Mendes step in except Mendes. I guess nothing is a cert yet but its definitely positive

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Saw that aldo has a training session tomorrow and will then decide if he's fighting or not. It will be up to NSAC then.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Nevada State Athletic Executive Director Bob Bennett has gave a promising update on Aldo's injury to ESPN on Monday. He claims that NSAC consulting physician Dr Timothy Trainor has requested Aldo's medical documents from UFC medical consultant Dr. Jeff Davidson, but it's looking extremely likely that he will be cleared to compete.
    "Right now, according to Dr. Trainor's communications with Dr. Davidson, it appears Aldo had a rib contusion and a cartilage injury,
    "Dr. Trainor is currently awaiting to see the medical documents and at this point in time, we think it is highly unlikely Aldo will have any trouble competing. Dr. Trainor has told me this type of injury (rib contusion) is fairly common and usually improves within a few days."
    Bennett added that the final call will not be made until Aldo's medical documents have been reviewed.
    "We already have Dr. Trainor in communication with the UFC and we are making sure Aldo's injury is not going to prevent him from fighting.
    "We're already working on it now. We've been discussing this for the last week, going back and forth, trying to get documents. Upon further medical review of Aldo's documents, we will have a confirmed answer."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

akelly02 wrote: »
    Lads I reckoned it wouldnt go past 2 rounds with a KO from Conor in the lead up ,but im after re watching the first 2 rounds of Aldo mendes 2 im astounded with the speed and power of Aldo and to a slightly lesser extent Mendes aswell in the first couple if rounds.i must have been asleep watching it in real time. Conor will not have seen anything like this before, if he does his usual hands down what you got attitude when he gets cocky he could be in trouble. .having said all that ill be having a bet closer to the event, im gonna go with Conor Ko round 3, if Conor doesn't get majorly tagged in the first he will break him down as Aldo gasses, no man can keep up that speed he showed in the first two rounds. Just my 2 cents.

seen this posted elsewhere. Short interview with conor done today or yesterday.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ROyfmFQ2fK8

Cant embed on phone. also rewatched aldo/mendes2 recently. here conor predicts ko in first 4mins. id be impressed to see aldo ko'd at all but in the first 4mins! what are the odds on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Lads I reckoned it wouldnt go past 2 rounds with a KO from Conor in the lead up ,but im after re watching the first 2 rounds of Aldo mendes 2 im astounded with the speed and power of Aldo and to a slightly lesser extent Mendes aswell in the first couple if rounds.i must have been asleep watching it in real time.

Mendes was going very, very well in that first round until the eye poke. After that, Aldo was a different beast. The stoppage seemed to really mess with Mendes' rhythm.

As an aside, the full fight has been uploaded to YouTube by the UFC as part of their Free Fights videos. Such a great fight and really gets the blood pumping for July 11th.

Old Perry wrote: »
    id be impressed to see aldo ko'd at all but in the first 4mins! what are the odds on that?

9/2 for Conor by KO in Rnd 1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Paully D wrote: »
    Mendes was going very, very well in that first round until the eye poke. After that, Aldo was a different beast. The stoppage seemed to really mess with Mendes' rhythm.

As an aside, the full fight has been uploaded to YouTube by the UFC as part of their Free Fights videos. Such a great fight and really gets the blood pumping for July 11th.

It really is a cracking fight, one of the most exciting you will see. But Aldo will gas, not a hope this goes 5 rounds, if Conor makes it out of the first in decent shape he finishes him in the next couple if rounds .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Definitely the tinted glasses, don't get me wrong It's not impossible, Nelson has a job on his hands for sure but how people can say McGregor is the Favorite against Aldo is beyond me.

I watched the Aldo Mendes fight again just today. It was effectively a boxing match.......no takedowns, little kicking....Whichever one he ends up fighting, if they try to out box him it won't end well for them.

I was 60/40 in favour of Aldo before re watching that fight, now I'm 60/40 in favour of Conor. If he ends up fighting Mendes then I'm 80/20 in favour of conor............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

It really is a cracking fight, one of the most exciting you will see. But Aldo will gas, not a hope this goes 5 rounds, if Conor makes it out of the first in decent shape he finishes him in the next couple if rounds .

Aldo looks anything but gassed in the 5th round.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Had a tenner in my PP account so I threw it on Conor in Round 3, probably do it in the dying seconds of Rnd 2 now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Was anything ever made of Aldo throwing two extra, clean, punches at Mendes after the buzzer in the first round, actually?

Can you imagine the shitstorm if McGregor did that? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Knex. wrote: »
    Was anything ever made of Aldo throwing two extra, clean, punches at Mendes after the buzzer in the first round, actually?

Pretty much 50/50 in terms of people saying it was dirty and people giving Aldo the benefit of the doubt, but it genuinely did seem to be a noise issue.

Aldo, Mendes' coach, Dana White and the referee, Marc Goddard, were among those that said they couldn't hear the bell such was the noise inside the arena. Goddard said he couldn't even hear the 10 second warning.

The referee got the brunt of the blame from both camps for not stepping in.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,088 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Peist2007 wrote: »
    My point is that the reason why he is favourite is due to the money being placed on him, not by the bookie employing a resident UFC expert with amazing actuarial skills who decides that a McGregor KO is the most likely option.
    No they just copy the odds from 5Dimes who do have in house MMA experts.
    Conor KO opened as favourite before any bets were taken.

Money coming in can alter the market, but its not the only factor. Or else it would be easily to arb bets with Paddy power verses a US bookie

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    See the way you can stream the fights from ufcs site? Can you do that in America?
    Just wondering why people would pay the proper ppv price($50/60 over there if that's possible.

In countries where they have a deal with a PPV broadcaster, the online PPV is priced the same. I imagine its part of the deal that they can't undercut the broadcaster.

So it costs €15-17 on UFC.tv in Ireland where there's no deal. But it costs $49.99 or $59.99 in the US and Australia where there is a PPV broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

What a card. With McGregor, Aldo, Lawler, Almedia, Thatch, Matt Brown, Cody Gabrandt and Neil Seery all on one card! All amazing stand up fighters.

I think Seery will win, but Pendred and Nelson may struggle. Thatch is simply huge, and even in the Henderson fight he really dominated the first two rounds. Fight over 3 rounds really suits Thatch.

MacDonald v Lawler is a toss up. Lawler has the advantage standing up, MacDonald on the ground. Lawler's takedown defence has come on leaps and bounds after preparing for Johnny Hendricks twice so I think he may take this.

I thought McGregor would win before the injury and I really think so now. Even if he's not able to knock Aldo out he'll be able to maintain his distance and land the cleaner strikes.

The one bet I may back is McGregor by sub its a big enough price and I feel he could hurt him on the feet and lock in a choke

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

I do not know where the whole view point that Aldo will gas comes from apart from the Hominick fight or when he was coasting to decisions in other fights. I would be more worried about McGregor if the fight goes the distance. How do we know that McGregor will not gas himself?

The biggest thing that will change from the Mendes fight is that Chad was fighting right in the firing line of Aldo for the entire fight. So when Aldo unloaded Chad was there. Chad had to take damage to give damage.

The biggest difference is that based on McGregors previous efforts he will be mostly out of Aldo's range. If he can stay there while landing then he may be able to take this. If McGregor stands toe to toe in Aldo's range then I am afraid he will be going to sleep (*Fully fit Aldo that is)

jodaw wrote: »
    I would be more worried about McGregor if the fight goes the distance. How do we know that McGregor will not gas himself
    Why are you be worried about McGregor gassing?
    Or are you just being reactionary because people have said Also will gas?
    I don't think cardio will be an issue for either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I gave him the benefit of the doubt. We'd be able to hear it with the benefit of a million mics placed around the Octagon and outside it but with that noise, it's understandable that you may not be able to hear it in the venue itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

That_Guy wrote: »
    I gave him the benefit of the doubt. We'd be able to hear it with the benefit of a million mics placed around the Octagon and outside it but with that noise, it's understandable that you may not be able to hear it in the venue itself.

I'd have to disagree. They were definite cheap shots, did serious damage and should've had a point deducted. Sure the fighters and ref are the only people who really need to hear the bell, surely it's done so that they of all people hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Mellor wrote: »
    Why are you be worried about McGregor gassing?
    Or are you just being reactionary because people have said Also will gas?
    I don't think cardio will be an issue for either.

In all of the videos I have seen of McGregor training I have never seen him out for a run. Surely he must do it though?

stephenl15 wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree. They were definite cheap shots, did serious damage and should've had a point deducted. Sure the fighters and ref are the only people who really need to hear the bell, surely it's done so that they of all people hear it.

In watching it again, it looks bad but I didn't hear the clappers at all to signal for 10 seconds.

I don't think the ref heard it either otherwise he'd have been much closer to the fighters. Only when he heard the klaxon did he understand what was happening and went to close out the round.

It's a rocking Brazilian crowd when their fighter is on top. Whistles, cheering and the klaxon can understandably get lost in all of that noise.

It happened at Dublin last year. There were many occasions when I couldn't hear the klaxon signalling the end of the round because the noise was deafening.

I don't think Mendes or his corner made anything of it either at the time.

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    In all of the videos I have seen of McGregor training I have never seen him out for a run. Surely he must do it though?

Really? You're basing McGregor's cardio on having not seen him run in videos? Jeeeaaayyysssuuuuusss

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

He doesn't need to run he does that crocodile crawl..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Ian Whelan wrote: »

Running fitness and Fighting fitness are not the same thing at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

McGregor's reaction to Aldo not going for the kill :pac:

FixedMellowIsopod.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

McGregor's reaction to Aldo not going for the kill :pac:

FixedMellowIsopod.gif

Haha brilliant!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Am I right in saying that Aldo is physically bigger than Conor?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement