Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 189 -Chad Mendes v Conor McGregor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Early days but i reckon this poll has a lot of biased voters the same poll posted in the US would get very different results i'm sure. if both fighters were going in to this 100% it would be extremely hard to call, I'd have to side with the man who hasn't been beaten in 10 years personally but if Conor wins and I hope he does he will have done something amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Has Aldo ever fought anyone as tall or with as big a reach as McGregor? I think Conor's is 74 inch and Aldo's 70 inch which seems like a big advantage to McGregor.

While Siver may not be in the same class as Aldo he has the same reach and just couldn't get close enough to connect with McGregor. He actually threw some good combinations but none of them were close enough to connect.

Florian has a 74 inch reach, Chang Sung a 72, and that's just in the UFC, Aldo has no problem with bigger guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,122 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

NIMAN wrote: »
    Do bookies not set their prices based on where the money is going? Mc Gregor being favourite with them means more people are backing him here does it not?
    He is the favourite all over the world, not just in irish bookies. He wasn't the favourite before the injury.
    Basically the bookies think the injury tilts it in Conor's favour.

And that's not how the odds work. The bookie has to decide on a favourite to start with and what the odds will be. The aim is to set the odds based on the probability of each fighter winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Has Aldo ever fought anyone as tall or with as big a reach as McGregor? I think Conor's is 74 inch and Aldo's 70 inch which seems like a big advantage to McGregor.

While Siver may not be in the same class as Aldo he has the same reach and just couldn't get close enough to connect with McGregor. He actually threw some good combinations but none of them were close enough to connect.

I was at the first UFC in dublin and siver was slow then..Aldo and Siver are not in the same universe let alone class.

Aldo will connect with mcgregor you can be sure of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Early days but i reckon this poll has a lot of biased voters the same poll posted in the US would get very different results i'm sure. if both fighters were going in to this 100% it would be extremely hard to call, I'd have to side with the man who hasn't been beaten in 10 years personally but if Conor wins and I hope he does he will have done something amazing!

Reading various websites over the past week i doubt many people would pick Aldo in America as all the reporting is about how he is fighting for that payday only, if he even makes it to the event. Aldo supporters don't even want him to fight that injured.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I was at the first UFC in dublin and siver was slow then..Aldo and Siver are not in the same universe let alone class.

Aldo will connect with mcgregor you can be sure of that.

Was Siver at the first Dublin UFC?

Florian has a 74 inch reach, Chang Sung a 72, and that's just in the UFC, Aldo has no problem with bigger guys.
    Neither of those two are close to Conor in terms of boxing ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Saipanne wrote: »
    Was Siver at the first Dublin UFC?

Yeah, he won with a brutal rib kick iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

scudzilla wrote: »
    Yeah, he won with a brutal rib kick iirc

Yep...the expression on the recipients face was described by my pal as PAAAAIIIIINNNNN.

Mellor wrote: »
    Neither of those two are close to Conor in terms of boxing ability.

Ok? But the question was had Aldo ever fought anyone has tall or with as long a reach as Conor.

• Advertisement

Ok? But the question was had Aldo ever fought anyone has tall or with as long a reach as Conor.
    I didn't say they weren't as tall or long. They are. Im not disputing that.

But your jump to Aldo has no problem with bigger guys is kinda over looking the most important factor, skillset.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

See the way you can stream the fights from ufcs site? Can you do that in America?
    Just wondering why people would pay the proper ppv price($50/60 over there if that's possible.

I didn't say they weren't as tall or long. They are. Im not disputing that.

But your jump to Aldo has no problem with bigger guys is kinda over looking the most important factor, skillset.

No It's not? If a guy has a better skillset than Aldo, he has a better skillset whether he's fat short skinny or tall.

We are talking about two different things here, nobody mentioned skillset the question was about size and Aldo HAS had no problem with bigger guys...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Paully D wrote: »

The bookmakers are not ones to let other factors get in the way, so it's a good indication that the McGregor KO/TKO is most likely to be the correct prediction.

Odds are based on where the money is going. If everyone is betting on a McGregor KO then the odds for that will drop to the lowest so as to dissaude others from joining that market. Other odds will slide as a result as bookies attempt to entice money onto Aldo. The bookies are reacting to the market. Hence why i make a load of money when England play in major fooball competitions. The odds are skewed due to people across the pond betting patriotically.

If you think McGregor will win because an Irish bookie has him as favourite then you're picking it up incorrectly.

Peist2007 wrote: »
    If you think McGregor will win because an Irish bookie has him as favourite then you're picking it up incorrectly.

All bookies have him as favourite. Irish, englush, American, online, exchanges etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

All bookies have him as favourite. Irish, englush, American, online, exchanges etc.

Only since the injury though

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Only since the injury though

Havent really been paying attention to the market, what were the odds pre-injury?

My point is that the reason why he is favourite is due to the money being placed on him, not by the bookie employing a resident UFC expert with amazing actuarial skills who decides that a McGregor KO is the most likely option.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

Guys, McGregor has been the bookies farvourite for weeks now, long before the Aldo injury.

Just google it and you will find several articles outlining this fact.

http://www.ufc-buzz.com/tags/jose-aldo/article/20150514_Pic_Conor_McGregor_is_now_the_bookies_favourite_to_defeat_Jose_Aldo_again

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 489 ✭✭AngryDiMaria

I also have a Joe Roganesque conspiracy theory that the Injury Is fake

I have a feeling that he's faking the injury just to try and mess with conors head, I don't think conor will specifically target that area but it has definitely had an effect on him already judging by the last video interview I saw of him. I'd love to see conor knocking him out but I know how good Aldo is and I'm very nervous about the fight :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

There is no hope it is a fake injury.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

John Kavanagh on the MMA hour, just said if he was a betting man he would say its gonna be Conor Vs Aldo..too much money involved for Aldo not to show up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Axwell wrote: »
    John Kavanagh on the MMA hour, just said if he was a betting man he would say its gonna be Conor Vs Aldo..too much money involved for Aldo not to show up for it.

Should Conor win Aldo would nearly have bigger day with a rematch

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I said it already and John Kavanagh just said the same himself, I think Aldo retires after 189 regardless of the result so I dont see there being any rematch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

I said it already and John Kavanagh just said the same himself, I think Aldo retires after 189 regardless of the result so I dont see there being any rematch.

Doesn't he have a press conference for right after 189? Next day possibly?

He's been very vocal in calling for a fighters union, so I thought it could possibly be about that.

There is some speculation about his future, some think he moves up in weight..i think he retires. He has said hes told the UFC what his plans are, they already know but he said he wont announce it till after the fight. To me he figures he will win and then retire unbeaten in UFC and WEC, if he gets beaten then he probably calls it a day anyways. Plus with his coach retiring it just all points that way for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

He could make up to 8 million off 2 fights with Conor, reports of him making 3.6 mill off just PPV's on this fight. Don't think that inc show/win money.

dave1982 wrote: »
    He could make up to 8 million off 2 fights with Conor, reports of him making 3.6 mill off just PPV's on this fight. Don't think that inc show/win money.

It doesnt include show or win money, hes on 500k plus win bonus. But there is so much hype over this fight because Aldo is champ. If Conor beats him the UFC have a line of fighters looking to get a chance to fight him. The draw wont be anywhere near the same for a rematch with Aldo and there is no way they would promote it as much as this fight or that he would get the same PPV buys. He is going to make the best money possible in this fight, any rematch wouldnt make him near the same money. Its a huge nest egg for him to retire on if he does and then take up working as a coach possibly.

JK, Mendes and Jonas Bilharinho all on the MMA hour and say they feel Aldo will fight. Mendes saying he feels Aldo will fight, that he has heard mixed things about the injury and how bad it was. All looking good at the minute, guess we will know more on Tuesday for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement