Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

201 Class Locomotives

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Here is the no.2 end of the loco. Very different, looks better imo, pitty it will be hidden most of the time against the DD stock.

206no2end.png

The EGVs got Irish ones after NIR took ownership of them. The RPSI Cravens got Irish EVNs too.

I think the NIR Enterprise coaches got UK EVNs though. Pretty sure I saw one in the new livery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Karsini wrote: »
    I think the NIR Enterprise coaches got UK EVNs though. Pretty sure I saw one in the new livery.

Think your correct.

The colors have almost being lifted off Renfe HS trains in Spain, almost identical.

228 behind Connolly shed this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

27-Feb-15
    226 on Mayo-Waterford laden timber train. Passed Portarlington at 1412

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,365 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

217 and DVT 4001 gave it socks up the mile tunnel on the 16:20 cork heuston.

215 & 224 on Cork duties today.

226 pulled into Waterford with a 20 minutes late running timber service.

• Advertisement

226 visited Connolly this morning to take the RPSI Cravens set back to Inchicore. Looked like it had new or different bogie bearings on it's no2 end.

Saw either 8208 or 9 new (gray colors only) working the 17.00 Heuston-Cork yesterday. Fairly sure it was 8209.

232 could do with a repaint, lot of rust above the IC logo on one side.

There was a selection of 201s at Connolly early this morning. 226 which has become a frequent visitor of the outsider 201s was sitting outside shed 1, 207 was outside shed 2 and finally 227 was peaking out behind sitting on the turntable. I think 226 was due to shunt down to Northwall yard to collect the 9:30 IWT liner.

Not often you see that many 201s in Connolly these days.

206 and 207 at Connolly shed this morning. I don't think 206 has worked an Enterprise service since it got repainted. Time to get the camera out as it's the last chance to get the 3 Enterprise liveries together.

8208, the only loco to get the silver and green livery is being overhauled and repainted into the new silver and black.

Some vids of 206 on it's trail run to Belfast and back. Notice the open access panel at 4:44 going through City Hospital.

Is it just me or is 206 facing the wrong way in those clips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Is it just me or is 206 facing the wrong way in those clips?

Look right, B end cab at the Dublin end (smaller cab at B end).

Paint scheme joins with the coaches correctly

Look right, B end cab at the Dublin end (smaller cab at B end).

Paint scheme joins with the coaches correctly

Ah yes, I see it now. :) I think the livery was confusing me; if I had looked at the grills and vents it would have confirmed it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Ah yes, I see it now. :) I think the livery was confusing me; if I had looked at the grills and vents it would have confirmed it!

Fuel tank position is easiest marker as its on the B end

234 and 223 or 4 at Heuston, the second missing some paneling around the grid. Operating the 17.20 ex Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Thedarkb

Why don't I.E part out the stored 201s, they could get a lot of money for second hand parts.

• Advertisement

Thedarkb wrote: »
    Why don't I.E part out the stored 201s, they could get a lot of money for second hand parts.

They are being used as spare parts source for the active 201s and have been for a few years now.

They are currently taking parts from the stored 201s to get 216 back in service for Belmond services starting next year.

226 was outside Connolly shed yesterday evening at 17:00 with 461 is steam behind the VP.

The this morning 461 was steaming away again outside the shed with shutters opened up. This force both of the standby 201s to stable on the turntable road.

Are the RPSI running a special or are they just trying out 461s new home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

226 was outside Connolly shed yesterday evening at 17:00 with 461 is steam behind the VP.

The this morning 461 was steaming away again outside the shed with shutters opened up. This force both of the standby 201s to stable on the turntable road.

In preparation for the weekends trips to Cobh, Midleton and Killarney 461 is running light engine to Cork today with 85 and the cravens to follow tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

A bit of both, actually.

The annual May Tour is on this weekend and sees steam action from two steam engines for the first time in a few years, namely 85 and 461. 85 was in the shed yesterday, the first time in donkey years that a GNR steam engine has been in a GNR steam shed!!

Movements wise, 461 was due to head south today working light engined, Merlin taking the tour itself tomorrow. 461 is working some legs of the tour towards Kerry over the weekend and will be headed back to Dublin on Monday, again light engined.

As regards two standby 201's, there is an extra need for a standby loco this weekend given both the tour and some PW activity nationwide and particularly towards Platin.

I saw a picture of 461 inside the shed at Connolly, have IE scrapped the idea of moving Connolly CTC into the shed and have now leased it to the RPSI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I saw a picture of 461 inside the shed at Connolly, have IE scrapped the idea of moving Connolly CTC into the shed and have now leased it to the RPSI?

Yes, the shed is currently leased by the RPSI

218 on yesterdays timber to Waterford, got a 40 minute rest in Muine Bheag.

According to The Wanderer's Facebook page, 206 was on the 09:00 to Cork this morning, the first passenger service since its overhaul. Didn't get very far however, failed at Newbridge.

Edit: Oops, just realised I posted this in the wrong thread, sorry guys.

According to The Wanderer's Facebook page, 206 was on the 09:00 to Cork this morning, the first passenger service since its overhaul. Didn't get very far however, failed at Newbridge.

Looks like quiet a failure, not your average one.....
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1099556053393287&set=p.1099556053393287&type=1&theater

I was thinking that myself. Fire damage?

• Advertisement

Well that's 206 out of action for a while by the looks of things. I wonder will that delay the introduction of the refurb Enterprise set as 206 is the only loco will all the new systems fitted.

Well that's 206 out of action for a while by the looks of things. I wonder will that delay the introduction of the refurb Enterprise set as 206 is the only loco will all the new systems fitted.

What sort of new equipment was fitted v others for the new stock?

I was thinking that myself. Fire damage?

Would look like that but it could be something started to get hot and produced smoke but nothing major like flames yet. Just as well it wasn't pushing could of being much worse like 230 if it wasn't detected as soon.

Still whatever happened very strange for one that's just out of major work

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    What sort of new equipment was fitted v others for the new stock?

It recently got a new man machine interface panel fitted to the no1 cab and possibly the no2 end but not confirmed. That's why it had light engine trial to Belfast and back on Tuesday before last. It didn't have that system fitted when it came out of the paint shop and had it's IWT runs, it got the system later on.

This new system is related to the Enterprise stock upgrade and NIR signaling systems as far as I know.

Apparently it was a traction motor fire. So it's probably not as bad as it looked. Doubt it's a write-off anyway.

206 back to work today, trail with Mark IVs

8208 outside in Inchicore in the new livery. Saw it from a passing train.

1620 Cork to Heuston today was 219+4005

206 & MK4s on 1800 Heuston-Cork at MP9 02-April-07

• Advertisement

I see 8208 back out sporting the new Enterprise livery and 8209 is getting it's livery finally finished.

Does anyone have a picture of it's EVN. I thought is was going to be 92-60-0310208-0, but I am under the impression they have included the 8 in it now so it's really 92-60-0318208-2.

So am I right in saying the NIR 201s now have the 0318 prefix?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

I see 8208 back out sporting the new Enterprise livery and 8209 is getting it's livery finally finished.

Does anyone have a picture of it's EVN. I thought is was going to be 92-60-0310208-0, but I am under the impression they have included the 8 in it now so it's really 92-60-0318208-2.

So am I right in saying the NIR 201s now have the 0318 prefix?

The 8 has been added as the official number is 8208 not 208, EVN is 92-70-0318208-0.

GM228

GM228 wrote: »
    The 8 has been added as the official number is 8208 not 208, EVN is 92-70-0318208-0.

GM228

Great thanks, didn't know if was going to get the 60 or 70 country code as the EGV still have 60 even though NIR own them now.
    So 8209 should equal 92-70-0318209-8

Great thanks, didn't know if was going to get the 60 or 70 country code as the EGV still have 60 even though NIR own them now.

I think the EGVs had the EVNs assigned before ownership changed, they were still under IE ownership until fully in traffic. The refurbishment programme may aee new EVNs applied?

GM228

Spot on.

92-70-0318208-0
    92-70-0318209-8

GM228

Was there any specials on over the weekend? Just asking because 217 was at Connolly shed this morning keeping 8209 company in it's finished livery. 217 is usually welded to a Mk4 set and hardly turns up on freights anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭h.gricer

217 worked the liner, 8209 replaced 227 and worked 11.00 Enterprise.

Regards
    hg

I do find it odd that they leave it so late to run a 201 from the shed down to Northwall in the morning rush. Having to run the loco wrong road to Clontarf Road station to reverse back down Eastwall bank. It would be less hassle running a 201 directly from Inchicore to Northwall I think at that hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Presumably the reason is that the liner is worked by a Connolly driver who starts his shift about that time and takes the loco down to North Wall.

Liner worked by an Athlone man AFAIK

Liner worked by an Athlone man AFAIK

Athlone driver works the liner from NW as far as Athlone from where a Ballina driver takes over, a Connolly driver brings the loco down to NW and shunts the train to/from the port.

GM228

• Advertisement
Advertisement