Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you spend much on food?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Breakfast: weetabix/muesli mix + milk = 7€ per week

Lunch: salad...red onion, tomatoes, lettuce, sweetcorn, olives, cucumber with either slices of brady's ham/chicken fillet/tuna etc, low GI sliced pan = 15€ per week

Dinner: Aldi cous cous range (49c per pack) or pasta or rice + vegetables + fish/mince/chicken = 25e per week

Always tasty, healthy, quickly prepared homecooked food for less than 50e.
    Treat yourself once a week to a thai/indian etc.

Batch cooking of the likes of mince and then freezing is always a cheap way of
    doing things. Mince, tomato based sauce, garlic, onions, mushrooms etc. Could make 5 large adult portions for less than 10e. Then just defrost and reheat as needed.
    What magical place are you living in? lol, even stores own brand stuff isn't that cheap :D

Also stores own brand stuff tastes like shíte :S
    For me a dinner for one cooked at home generally costs me €10 - €20

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

azezil wrote: »
    What magical place are you living in? lol, even stores own brand stuff isn't that cheap :D

Dublin, it's not that magical. I shop twice a week so as to ensure fresh fruit and veg. By adding up receipts from both days I come to the "magical figure" I quoted.

A home cooked meal for one costing 20e? Only if you've bought fresh oysters, lobster, 20oz fillet steak etc. which obviously we are not talking about here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Spend a fair bit each week. The below always feature on my list which come to about the 65 mark depending on special offers etc. I don't eat sweets or drink fizzy drinks or crisps or even processed food so i never really have any hidden costs. Don't eat bread or milk currently either.

25 chicken fillets
    2 kg's of turkey mince
    30-40 eggs
    Porridge
    Mixture of natural nuts
    Loads of vegetables and fruit

Pretty much what I get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Bloody hell, like a few of the guys in work, high protein low carb / dairy. Scared to sit beside them cause 1 day their intestines are going to explode with the mankyest fart ever.

See them skipping in to work with their tuberwear boxes with 15 bolied eggs, leeeeeeeeeeeen white chicken and plain rice.

Thing I'd rather eat colours.

I think you missed the part where he said he eats (and I quote) "loads of fruit and vegetables". They have carbs AND colours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

This post has been deleted.

so make a big ass sandwich with whatever you want - point still stands that it'll be cheaper to make yourself than too buy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

How do you spend 20 euro on ingredients to make dinner for one person?! Seriously. You can get a bag of potatoes on special offer in Tesco for 1.89. They'd last for a few days. Vegetables - two for three euro, again in Tesco. And meat... I dunno, 'cause I don't eat it really, but you can get 2 packs of chicken kiev for a fiver at the moment. That'd make four dinners!

Spending up to twenty euro on one dinner to be made at home is, in my opinion, madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Even if you shop in Harrods Food Hall it doesn't cost that much.:confused: You must be drinking fine wines with every meal.;)

I did my weekly shop today, it cost me 75 euro including a good few household products like detergent. I think my original estimate of 50 was a bit low.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭annieire

When i was living away from home i would spend around €40 per wk on groceries+ €20/25 on alcohol and takeaways.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

About 60e for the two of us if I were to cook every day, neither of us eat breakfast but the 60e covers lunch, dinners and snacks.

I enjoy cooking and do it in bulk, lunch tends to be soup and a sandwich, then dinner a variety of stuff from the freezer given that I cook in bulk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I spend a lot on food during the week...but thankfully my company pays for it all.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I shop mostly in Asian shops and Aldi - my weekly is about 30/35 a week between two people (milk, tofu, eggs, bread, assorted fish, cheese, fruit, juice, veg, assorted lunch meats and sometimes alcohol/dessert) and maybe an extra 25 every two/three months for extras like Miso, soya sauce, dashi stock, tea, coffee, rice/noodles etc

It works out at, I suppose, 67 - 73 a month for one person., somewhere around there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

What the hell are you cooking? Roast chicken stuffed with money?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Peanut butter on a playing card mighty tasty.

Advertisement