Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you spend much on food?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

How do people get away with 30-40 a week for everything ?
    I'm spending around 80-90 a week:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

cant spend very little if i want but these days i eat out more because i can :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

€20 per person worth of meat in a home-cooked meal would not be unusual.

Do you buy those chickens that are exclusively bred to grow fingers?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Spend a fair bit each week. The below always feature on my list which come to about the 65 mark depending on special offers etc. I don't eat sweets or drink fizzy drinks or crisps or even processed food so i never really have any hidden costs. Don't eat bread or milk currently either.

25 chicken fillets
    2 kg's of turkey mince
    30-40 eggs
    Porridge
    Mixture of natural nuts
    Loads of vegetables and fruit

Bloody hell, like a few of the guys in work, high protein low carb / dairy. Scared to sit beside them cause 1 day their intestines are going to explode with the mankyest fart ever.

See them skipping in to work with their tuberwear boxes with 15 bolied eggs, leeeeeeeeeeeen white chicken and plain rice.

Thing I'd rather eat colours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Anything between 40-100 oer week. But I need to have a good steak at least once, and a chinese at least once which brings it up.
    If you have sambos or rolls for lunch you get it real cheap in dunnes if there's one close buy, wouldnt work out much dearer than making it yourself and you get fresth stuff each day
    Making a hell of a lot of stir frys these days which cost shag all and you can have some for lunch the following day
    Eating a lot of bungos too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

This post has been deleted.

ya buy a loaf of bread for 2 euro, butter is 1.50 or something, packet of cheese is 2 euro sorted for the week

buy your cheese sandwich everyday and it's gonna cost 2-3 euro a day - course it's cheaper to make it at home - simple mathematics - unless you throw the loaf and fillings out every day :rolleyes:

and for the purists out there who won't touch tesco branded cheese or butter - on a blind taste test how many of you would actually notice the difference in taste - and think the difference in taste was enough to make you spend extra on your branded food...

30-40 euro a week is enough to keep me going although I'll admit there mightn't be a huge variety throughout the week until I've finished the pack of XXX so I can move onto a new meal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Caitlinn

I spend more than I'd like on food but, then again, food is kind of a necessity so I suppose I can't complain. It has to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

around 30 a week
    Th diet mainly consists of weetabix, apples, oranges, pasta, scrambled egg, beans on toast, noodles and protein shakes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I've recently moved houses, this one has a much nicer Kitchen, Previously I would spend between 15 and thirty dollars a day on Takeaways/pievans/servoschlock, for the last 3 Weeks I hacve been cooking for myself, I'm spending about $40 a pop on groceries twice a week. the main benefit has been that I dont eat as much Crap anymore and I'm starting tofeel a bit healthier.

Also helps to have a kitchen in your Office so you can Prepare somethig for lunch, dosent have to be big, I like to boil twice as many spuds as I would eat for dinner and then Fry whats left with a few rashers etc on the George Forman in the Office kitchen, takes 5 minutes and is Gorgeous, I cant understand why I ws SO Lazy for So Long

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

My food bill per month is more than my mortgage.
    Mind you I have three always hungry kids foraging in the kitchen presses and only two years left on the mortgage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

You could get the ingredients for a meal for two or more people in Lidl for less than a tenner, and that includes dessert.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    around 30 a week
    Th diet mainly consists of weetabix, apples, oranges, pasta, scrambled egg, beans on toast, noodles and protein shakes.

Good god man, that is very restricted.

Tought I'd mention in Glasnevin ,lidl store ,theres a new fish shop adjacent to it. All loose frozen fish ,very easy to pick exactly what you want.
    Loads of stuff even octopus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Bloody hell, like a few of the guys in work, high protein low carb / dairy. Scared to sit beside them cause 1 day their intestines are going to explode with the mankyest fart ever.

See them skipping in to work with their tuberwear boxes with 15 bolied eggs, leeeeeeeeeeeen white chicken and plain rice.

Try it for a while. I'm on a similar diet and farting is never a problem, if anything the situation has improved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Breakfast: weetabix/muesli mix + milk = 7€ per week

Lunch: salad...red onion, tomatoes, lettuce, sweetcorn, olives, cucumber with either slices of brady's ham/chicken fillet/tuna etc, low GI sliced pan = 15€ per week

Dinner: Aldi cous cous range (49c per pack) or pasta or rice + vegetables + fish/mince/chicken = 25e per week

Always tasty, healthy, quickly prepared homecooked food for less than 50e.
    Treat yourself once a week to a thai/indian etc.

Batch cooking of the likes of mince and then freezing is always a cheap way of
    doing things. Mince, tomato based sauce, garlic, onions, mushrooms etc. Could make 5 large adult portions for less than 10e. Then just defrost and reheat as needed.

EdiT : Never mind . On steroid overdrive at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I spend a lot of money on food come to think of it. I love to cook and bake. Plus I eat out once a week or so.

100% agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

I don't eat any carbohydrates and try to keep to non processed foods so for a normal person, it probably wouldn't cost too much. I eat in or around 4000 calories a day so it does get expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Breakfast: weetabix/muesli mix + milk = 7€ per week

Lunch: salad...red onion, tomatoes, lettuce, sweetcorn, olives, cucumber with either slices of brady's ham/chicken fillet/tuna etc, low GI sliced pan = 15€ per week

Dinner: Aldi cous cous range (49c per pack) or pasta or rice + vegetables + fish/mince/chicken = 25e per week

Always tasty, healthy, quickly prepared homecooked food for less than 50e.
    Treat yourself once a week to a thai/indian etc.

Batch cooking of the likes of mince and then freezing is always a cheap way of
    doing things. Mince, tomato based sauce, garlic, onions, mushrooms etc. Could make 5 large adult portions for less than 10e. Then just defrost and reheat as needed.
    What magical place are you living in? lol, even stores own brand stuff isn't that cheap :D

Also stores own brand stuff tastes like shíte :S
    For me a dinner for one cooked at home generally costs me €10 - €20

azezil wrote: »
    What magical place are you living in? lol, even stores own brand stuff isn't that cheap :D

Dublin, it's not that magical. I shop twice a week so as to ensure fresh fruit and veg. By adding up receipts from both days I come to the "magical figure" I quoted.

A home cooked meal for one costing 20e? Only if you've bought fresh oysters, lobster, 20oz fillet steak etc. which obviously we are not talking about here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Spend a fair bit each week. The below always feature on my list which come to about the 65 mark depending on special offers etc. I don't eat sweets or drink fizzy drinks or crisps or even processed food so i never really have any hidden costs. Don't eat bread or milk currently either.

25 chicken fillets
    2 kg's of turkey mince
    30-40 eggs
    Porridge
    Mixture of natural nuts
    Loads of vegetables and fruit

Pretty much what I get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

wmpdd3 wrote: »

I think you missed the part where he said he eats (and I quote) "loads of fruit and vegetables". They have carbs AND colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

so make a big ass sandwich with whatever you want - point still stands that it'll be cheaper to make yourself than too buy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

How do you spend 20 euro on ingredients to make dinner for one person?! Seriously. You can get a bag of potatoes on special offer in Tesco for 1.89. They'd last for a few days. Vegetables - two for three euro, again in Tesco. And meat... I dunno, 'cause I don't eat it really, but you can get 2 packs of chicken kiev for a fiver at the moment. That'd make four dinners!

Spending up to twenty euro on one dinner to be made at home is, in my opinion, madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Even if you shop in Harrods Food Hall it doesn't cost that much.:confused: You must be drinking fine wines with every meal.;)

I did my weekly shop today, it cost me 75 euro including a good few household products like detergent. I think my original estimate of 50 was a bit low.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭annieire

When i was living away from home i would spend around €40 per wk on groceries+ €20/25 on alcohol and takeaways.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

About 60e for the two of us if I were to cook every day, neither of us eat breakfast but the 60e covers lunch, dinners and snacks.

I enjoy cooking and do it in bulk, lunch tends to be soup and a sandwich, then dinner a variety of stuff from the freezer given that I cook in bulk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I spend a lot on food during the week...but thankfully my company pays for it all.:)

Advertisement