Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do people want to have Children

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Ficheall wrote: »
    I don't know if a Massey Ferguson is going to solve this one...

I was thinking of a nice weekend away somewhere scenic - job done ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭dynamited

Some people think it is, some people think it isn't. I am not sure there is an 'answer' to that question.

So that means it's an odd argument to use against someone who says "I had kids because I want them to experience all the wonders of life" or whatever. THAT person clearly thinks life is great.

You haven't replied to my post about my current situation , but you were quick to slate me about the fact i only earn 26k per year and have saved up 100k over the last 7 years to invest in property

I thought i was doing ok, albeit not setting the world on fire but never the less could be worse off

So tell me almighty one what am i doing wrong ? At just after turning 26 years of age did you have 100k sitting in your bank ,earned by yourself and no help from anyone else??

Thought so

Get off your high horse you're no Warren Buffet you bitter old man

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

OP's life seems really, really bleak. You're showing your cards more than you'd like, man. You're not happy with your lot. Spend some energy on more positive stuff than this.

Lot of other people in the thread caring way too much about other people's choice to have kids. Butthurt/10

No plans to have kids myself, the way things are going, but I get it: If you like life and like people, and your family was happy, you want more of that.

People who feel excluded from a collective of other people inevitably a) feel bitter and b) rationalise up a bunch of **** about why they'd actually rather not be in said collective.
    Single people are irritated by couples, People with no kids are irritated by people with kids etc etc

OP's life seems really, really bleak. You're showing your cards more than you'd like, man. You're not happy with your lot. Spend some energy on more positive stuff than this.

Lot of other people in the thread caring way too much about other people's choice to have kids. Butthurt/10

No plans to have kids myself, the way things are going, but I get it: If you like life and like people, and your family was happy, you want more of that.

People who feel excluded from a collective of other people inevitably a) feel bitter and b) rationalise up a bunch of **** about why they'd actually rather not be in said collective.
    Single people are irritated by couples, People with no kids are irritated by people with kids etc etc

So if someone doesn't want to have children that means their life is bleak???

Wow, somethings wrong with you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

dynamited wrote: »
    you were quick to slate me about the fact i only earn 26k per year and have saved up 100k over the last 7 years to invest in property

I know exactly how hard it is saving up that kinda money while you're on well below the industrial wage.

I only got half as far as you did but that was all I needed.

Looking forward to 8 years time when my mortgage is paid off 12 years early ;)

Great work, well done.

• Advertisement

dynamited wrote:
    So if someone doesn't want to have children that means their life is bleak???

Wow, somethings wrong with you
    No I just meant because of the other stuff you said about having no life if you don't drink and no gf and buying some ****ty house etc. You know, all that bleak stuff I see in your posts.
    People can totally be happy without wanting kids. I am. I don't think you are.

No I just meant because of the other stuff you said about having no life if you don't drink and no gf and buying some ****ty house etc. You know, all that bleak stuff I see in your posts.
    People can totally be happy without wanting kids. I am. I don't think you are.

Do you own property ? did you pay for it nearly in cash?

Lol wat m8

Lol wat m8

You're saying i'm about to buy a " sh!tty house "

Even though it's in a private estate and you haven't even seen it

My question is do you own property, how much did you borrow to buy it ???

If you don't you're in no place to judge people if you can't even afford a " sh!tty house " yourself , you bum

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Paddyfield wrote: »
    Becoming a father happened to me on two occasions in the last decade.

It has subsequently defined me and enriched me. I can't put any other words on it. They are 2 amazing little people who rock my world.

They are more than just a reason for updating my Facebook profile picture. I would kill anyone who interfered with them. This lifestyle choice may not float everyone else's boat but don't ridicule me for it.

Word for word my feelings---!
    Best thing about my life is coming home to unconditional love every evening.
    I'm not a boastful fella but I'm proud of my kids and my role as their father .

I reckon not becoming fathers in their 20's is a huge factor in sucicide in young men in this country- aimless after the fun on the 18-28 years and no base for their life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

barney 20v wrote: »
    I reckon not becoming fathers in their 20's is a huge factor in sucicide in young men in this country- aimless after the fun on the 18-28 years and no base for their life.

You're not actually serious here right?

What did i just read??

Moronic to say the least

You're saying i'm about to buy a " sh!tty house "

Even though it's in a private estate and you haven't even seen it

My question is do you own property, how much did you borrow to buy it ???

If you don't you're in no place to judge people if you can't even afford a " sh!tty house " yourself , you bum

On the surface, I was slagging your house, yep. And nope, I didn't even bother looking at what the place is like. Not arsed. What I was really doing was illustrating how easily riled you are by throwaway comments. The defensiveness and fixation on financial oneupmanship is a telltale symptom of your deep-seated dissatisfaction, bruh. Be happy (doubt any calibre of house will make a difference) yourself and other people's crap - such as them wanting kids - will roll off your back way more.

On the surface, I was slagging your house, yep. And nope, I didn't even bother looking at what the place is like. Not arsed. What I was really doing was illustrating how easily riled you are by throwaway comments. The defensiveness and fixation on financial oneupmanship is a telltale symptom of your deep-seated dissatisfaction, bruh. Be happy (doubt any calibre of house will make a difference) yourself and other people's crap - such as them wanting kids - will roll off your back way more.

Exactly what somebody broke would say

Not riled by throwaway comments, just don't like listening to wasters giving it large when they have nothing to back it up with

Gongoozler wrote: »
    You're not actually serious here right?

Yes- deadly serious.
    It's something I truly believe is a factor in male suicide in young men in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

DNA 'wants' to replicate itself and uses you as the mechanism to do so, mainly. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Also a child's smile is worth a million gallons of pixie dust.

Yes- deadly serious.
    It's something I truly believe is a factor in male suicide in young men in Ireland.

You're Insane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

After browsing the thread, I'm completely in agreement with the OP not reproducing.

anncoates wrote: »
    After browsing the thread, I'm completely in agreement with the OP not reproducing.

Don't worry i wouldn't dare try pull an old hag called Ann that has a boards account

You're Insane

Why?
    Because I think that in previous generations young men became fathers at a young age and had a structure in their lives?

Or that I think many young Irish men find themselves alone in their mid/late 20's and are stuck into drinking or drugs?

I think having kids in your early twenties gives a natural structure to life and that we have reproduced this way for thousands of years.

Our generation is abnormal in many respects but especially in the way / ages we start to have kids.

I believe it is a factor.
    Disagree with me if you like but leave out with the personal insults .

• Advertisement

Don't worry i wouldn't dare try pull an old hag called Ann that has a boards account

I'm devastated.

I confess to being a bit moist about your wad and your silver tongue.

I'm devastated.

I confess to being a bit moist about your wad and your silver tongue.

Oh be nice.

strobe wrote: »
    Oh be nice.

That slut started it

Gushing here. Will ya stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

dynamited banned for a bit.

Mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

I think I've always known I've wanted kids, I just don't want them right now. I'm not in a solid financial position nor in a relationship.

But someday, when the time is right I would like to start a family. As I'm getting older I really appreciate the family that I had and the sacrifices they made for me.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭billyhead

Having children extends your bloodline, can add a bit of excitement and responsibility to your life and provides you with someone to pass on your wealth/possessions to when you die

I'm weird I think. In the abstract sense I've always thought about having kids like 'meh, whatever, maybe, will see.'. I've read a few threads about this, and talked to people, about it over the years. I hear a lot of, "I'd be an awful parent", or "I just don't like children" or "I always knew I didn't want kids". And I don't identify with any of that. I think, arrogantly and naively I'm sure, that I'd be quite a good parent. I quite like children, I think they're funny and fascinating and different. Which are three things I'm a fan of. And I've never been dead set against wanting children the way some other people are. I was always dead set against having them 'at this moment in time'. But I think that's a different thing. And I quite like the concept of mushing my genes with my girlfriends and seeing the human that results.

But I dunno, I like kids. I also quite like monkeys though. But I'm not going to voluntarily buy one and dedicate the next 18 years of my life to taking care of it. Maybe if I could have a kid, without my girlfriend being pregnant, and it'd arrive about 2 and a half years old. Then I could have it until it's about 6. Then it'd vanish and reappear when it was 27 or so. I'd be into it. Maybe. But the current system isn't something that appeals to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Obviously the baby making process is fun but seriously who actually wants to have children?

Ask your parents ...........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

strobe wrote: »

But I dunno, I like kids. I also quite like monkeys though. But I'm not going to voluntarily buy one and dedicate the next 18 years of my life to taking care of it. Maybe if I could have a kid, without my girlfriend being pregnant, and it'd arrive about 2 and a half years old. Then I could have it until it's about 6. Then it'd vanish and reappear when it was 27 or so. I'd be into it. Maybe. But the current system isn't something that appeals to me.

Get a couple of monkeys. You'll save a fortune and they're great laugh. If you get fed up with them after a couple of years, you could sell them or give them to a zoo.:D

Advertisement