Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Observations of Passenger Stupidity on Dublin Bus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

AndrewJD wrote: »

Go anywhere near College Green between 5 and 6pm.

Or Abbey St at the 130 stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

Victor wrote: »
    Why? :D

Read the other posts, he was saying once a bell was pressed it wouldnt ring again so i tried it on that day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

james142 wrote: »
    Read the other posts, he was saying once a bell was pressed it wouldnt ring again so i tried it on that day :)

Just for clarity,other than if a fault exists,the only way the Bell system will audibly repeat (The subsidiary Dash warning light will ALWAYS flash) is if the driver has opened the doors.

Thus if James142 was following the other passenger as they alighted,and pushing once as he went,then the bell would sound.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

AlekSmart wrote: »
    You have to be careful with the onthephoners....I have several regular hi-volume phoneys,however I know at least two of them are....em...a bit mithered,as my late mother would say.

These folks use the imaginary other person to craft involved scenarios and role play to increase their self-esteem as they believe it's sending a message to the other pasengers that THEY themselves are very important or involved people.

They are in fact somewhat disturbed and can become even more so if asked to shut-up or even tone it down....be careful and approach with caution.

Probably dictating their next post on Boards to their invisible secretary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Polar101

AndrewJD wrote: »
    Go anywhere near College Green between 5 and 6pm.

Or Blanch Shopping Centre, where most passengers don't have prepaid tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Why do some people with smart cards hover the card over the reader instead of holding it against it??? Its like a game of how far can they hold it and still get it to work? or are they afraid of a shock or something??? Does my head in

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

liger wrote: »
    Why do some people with smart cards hover the card over the reader instead of holding it against it??? Its like a game of how far can they hold it and still get it to work? or are they afraid of a shock or something??? Does my head in

That's what you are supposed to do - at least that's what they told me when I got the ticket - NOT to touch it off the reader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

I don't get the bus, but if I did, I would probably have something to say on this subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Nope,I don't pick nuttin Sir....;)

If there are seats available and you still wish to stand,then away down the back of the bus with you,or into the wheelchair space,if clear.

I have no interest in how long your actual journey is,but I do know that everybody else's journey will be lenghtened considerably if everybody entering and leaving is forced to do a Brazilian Two-Step with one or more individuals clamped to the luggage pen.

Thats the weak-point of Public Transport,it's for the masses..big,small,short,tall,grumpy,friendly or whatever....IF it's individualistic personal service that's desired then,I'm afraid,it's Taxi central for you.

Doubtless true,however 10 to 13 mtr Single Door Double Decks operating a Fare-Stage system with c.50% of transactions cash-based are somewhat rare in other juristictions.

I assumed your statement about 'Catholic Irish Selishness' was related to putting bags on seats. That is certainly not unique to Irish Catholics I used to get a private bus out to Citywest , most passengers were not Irish but every one to a man / woman would put their bag on the seat beside them in the hope that nobody would ask to sit next to them. I don't really think the form of transport, nationality or faith of the people who do it is relevant. Its just straightforward selfishness.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Laneyh wrote: »
    [...]I used to get a private bus out to Citywest , most passengers were not Irish but every one to a man / woman would put their bag on the seat beside them in the hope that nobody would ask to sit next to them.

Oh those are my favourite seats. I always aim for one of them on purpose whenever I can :D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

bk wrote: »
    The new contact less AIB and Bank Of Ireland Visa Debit ATM cards interfere with the leap card validators if close to the leap card in the wallet.

Separate them out, e.g. leap card on one side, visa debit the other side and they should work.

You'll also find that some other cards sometimes have RFID tags in them. For example, UCC's student ID cards have an RFID tag in them, although you'd never know that unless you have to use them for access to a lab or something.
    For the majority of students doing say non-technical subjects, they may never encounter the RFID function, but it's still there.

Some loyalty cards also have forward-planning going on and may have RFID tags in them, so really you need your Leap card at the very front of your wallet, nearest the surface you're going to swipe.

Same applies to a lot of work ID cards etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Solair wrote: »
    You'll also find that some other cards sometimes have RFID tags in them. For example, UCC's student ID cards have an RFID tag in them, although you'd never know that unless you have to use them for access to a lab or something.
    For the majority of students doing say non-technical subjects, they may never encounter the RFID function, but it's still there.

Some loyalty cards also have forward-planning going on and may have RFID tags in them, so really you need your Leap card at the very front of your wallet, nearest the surface you're going to swipe.

Same applies to a lot of work ID cards etc.

or just take the card out of the wallet to scan it :eek:

or just take the card out of the wallet to scan it :eek:

Why? That's one of the major advantages of RFID cards, you don't have to go fumbling through a wallet every time you board a bus / go through a barrier.

The London Oyster card tends to read very well through wallets btw.

Laneyh wrote: »
    I assumed your statement about 'Catholic Irish Selishness' was related to putting bags on seats. .

Nope Laneyh,the bag on seat would be ecumenical sure nuff,I'm afraid the remark is relevant on a far wider scale than just luggage....:)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Oink wrote: »
    Oh those are my favourite seats. I always aim for one of them on purpose whenever I can :D.
    It's been proven that these seats are the most comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

james142 wrote: »

I get the bus every morning and every evening. The bell does ring more than once before each stop when more than one person presses it.

I know you all think that James 142 must be mad saying you can ring the bell more than once. I am purely guessing here, but from your name you commute on the 142?

If so this route regularly uses VG's. For some strange reason on VGs you can ding the bell as many times as you want, just like an RV. This not just when the door opens and it resets, or 1. Upstairs, 1 downstairs and 1 wheelchair.

So yes it is possible to keep ringing the bell, albeit on a small number of Dublin Buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

bikeman1 wrote: »
    I know you all think that James 142 must be mad saying you can ring the bell more than once. I am purely guessing here, but from your name you commute on the 142?

If so this route regularly uses VG's. For some strange reason on VGs you can ding the bell as many times as you want, just like an RV. This not just when the door opens and it resets, or 1. Upstairs, 1 downstairs and 1 wheelchair.

So yes it is possible to keep ringing the bell, albeit on a small number of Dublin Buses.

Its the 14 I travel on twice a day :D Which I believe usually uses the AX's, DT's or the AV's ( I cant tell the difference between these 3 buses). Perhaps these buses allow you to ring the bell multiple times too?

• Site Banned Posts: 154 ✭✭beaner88

I had one try and stick the leapcard into my ticket machine paper exit point.:confused:

The lonely passenger that sits on an aisle seat, not wanting to share with the great unwashed.

I target those guys even if there is the odd full bench free somewheere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 NiallJS99

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    What I find strange is when an already crowded bus arrives at a stop and RTPI shows the next bus is 2 minutes behind. Most people still try to pack on to the first bus when it's very likely the following bus is comfortably quiet and almost certain to overtake the leading bus and get me home quicker.

Of course it does require faith in the accuracy of RTPI

Yes I've often waited for a bus 2-8mins behind and that bus is usually quieter and often catches up with the other bus.

Some things annoy me....

1. When you're at the bus stop with a shít load of other people, the bus is seen down the road and everyone gets up to prepare for boarding. Yet when the bus is about 50 yards down the road you'll get some tool frantically sticking his arm out just in case the bus driver has managed to completely miss the 15 people waiting at the bus stop and will therefore drive on. That that same tool will repeat the frantic arm waving even after the bus has indicated that they're pulling in.

2. People without prams who sit in that special seat for people with prams even though there's plenty of other seats available. Then when someone with a pram does get on, this person doesn't think to just get up and move to another seat, making the person with the pram stand. Cúnts.

Some people have their hand out when the bus is waiting at a red light and still have their hand out until the bus has almost stopped.

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Upstairs and the back of the 40, where brave men fear to tread :(

I usually sit downstairs on the 40 for a good reason. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

1. When you're at the bus stop with a shít load of other people, the bus is seen down the road and everyone gets up to prepare for boarding. Yet when the bus is about 50 yards down the road you'll get some tool frantically sticking his arm out just in case the bus driver has managed to completely miss the 15 people waiting at the bus stop and will therefore drive on. That that same tool will repeat the frantic arm waving even after the bus has indicated that they're pulling in.

In fairness, some bus stops serve multiple routes and if you don't stick your hand out they won't stop as they think you might be waiting for another route.

My bus stop is a very busy stop and it is served by 5 or 6 bust core routes, I and almost everyone else at this stop always put our hands out to wave down the bus. I usually leave my hand out, until the driver puts on the indicator that s/he is pulling in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

For reference, funny though,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FitOXvSbGY8 prob not for for work,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Sitting on the 27 this morning, I was treated (?) to the sight of a school teacher at Dame Street trying to board maybe 40 kids onto the bus.

This was done only after she had a 5 minute conversation with the driver as to if the bus went to wheverer it was in the first place. Once she had sorted all that out we then had the fun of watching her put through the darling chisselur skulls on passes which she had the sense to have picked up earlier on. Sum total of this was 6 minutes or almost 2 songs on my iPhone.

It is only when you see something like this happen at once that you see how much time some passengers can waste on a trip for a driver. To be fair the bus route was something she should have checked ahead seeing as she was responsible for such a large group.

Some things annoy me....

1. When you're at the bus stop with a **** load of other people, the bus is seen down the road and everyone gets up to prepare for boarding. Yet when the bus is about 50 yards down the road you'll get some tool frantically sticking his arm out just in case the bus driver has managed to completely miss the 15 people waiting at the bus stop and will therefore drive on. That that same tool will repeat the frantic arm waving even after the bus has indicated that they're pulling in.

Well, if you live in an urban area with more than one route going past the bus stop, you'll soon find if you don't do that the bus will skip the stop!

It's happened me in both Cork and Dublin.

Even worse, I remember waiting at at stop in Ballsbridge at the RDS and because there was another bus in the stop, the bus I was waiting for just passed by!!!

Waiving down urban busses is just a necessity of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

There's been a woman on the 8.08 38 from Blanchardstown, who has been reading 'The Da Vinci Code' for upwards of three years now. She chews her nails intently, and gets through a page a journey. At this stage, I am ready to ram it down her neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

NiallJS99 wrote: »
    Some people have their hand out when the bus is waiting at a red light and still have their hand out until the bus has almost stopped.
    I did once a bus drive by 5 people at a bus stop as they were chatting beside it and none had stuck their hand out. I was also on a bus where someone waiting at a stop near Phibsboro stuck out their hand a little late and the driver kept going! I felt rather bad as the passenger was quite angry as I continued looking. Braking would have been safe even if the prospective passenger was a little late to signal and the bus would have stopped in time or maybe 2 metres past the pole at most.

Sitting on the 27 this morning, I was treated (?) to the sight of a school teacher at Dame Street trying to board maybe 40 kids onto the bus.

This was done only after she had a 5 minute conversation with the driver as to if the bus went to wheverer it was in the first place. Once she had sorted all that out we then had the fun of watching her put through the darling chisselur skulls on passes which she had the sense to have picked up earlier on. Sum total of this was 6 minutes or almost 2 songs on my iPhone.

It is only when you see something like this happen at once that you see how much time some passengers can waste on a trip for a driver. To be fair the bus route was something she should have checked ahead seeing as she was responsible for such a large group.

Another missed opportunity for LeapCard.

Why the Leapcard "Marketing" Dept has not been doing the rounds of Schools to offer a group travel version of Leapcard I'll never know.....

I wonder if they've even considered it....?

I have only ever one had a School Group whos'e teachers were savvy enough to have used a Leapcard for their group.

Of course,true to the Leapcard ethos,it was S L...O...W.....as I had to process 26 child fares and 2 adult fares on the card.

No problem with the Adults,but the process of issuing the 26 chizzler fares was deplorably long winded and far slower than the cash bearing method.

Leapcard could easily have a Group Specific card which could issue the adult tickets and then a single 26 X The Relevant Fare ticket.

This would allow the principle of using a Leapcard to be demonstrated early on to children at the very time when they are acceptant of new things to try.

However,it looks more likely that nobody in the Leapcard Office has the remotest interest in ensuring the success of the product..."sorry,not my department"..etc etc....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Another missed opportunity for LeapCard.

Why the Leapcard "Marketing" Dept has not been doing the rounds of Schools to offer a group travel version of Leapcard I'll never know.....

I wonder if they've even considered it....?

I have only ever one had a School Group whos'e teachers were savvy enough to have used a Leapcard for their group.

Of course,true to the Leapcard ethos,it was S L...O...W.....as I had to process 26 child fares and 2 adult fares on the card.

No problem with the Adults,but the process of issuing the 26 chizzler fares was deplorably long winded and far slower than the cash bearing method.

Leapcard could easily have a Group Specific card which could issue the adult tickets and then a single 26 X The Relevant Fare ticket.

This would allow the principle of using a Leapcard to be demonstrated early on to children at the very time when they are acceptant of new things to try.

However,it looks more likely that nobody in the Leapcard Office has the remotest interest in ensuring the success of the product..."sorry,not my department"..etc etc....:mad:

Two points for you to ponder with your fellow drivers in Brasserie Earl Place, Alek.

I was in at HQ yesterday and the lad I was speaking to told me that the one and 3 day passes will probably be Leap Card types from around the summer, other pass types will follow on soon thereafter. Or at least it's the plan.

A driver like you is on the trade years now; I'd say you may even date back to two man crews and old Setright tickets and halp penny on fares. Have Luas made any token effort to get feedback from drivers and staff, who are by far the most experienced people to spot operational flaws and issues?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

People who don't realise Xpresso busses don't stop at all stages, despite the driver (well on my one anyway) repeatedly stating that x is the last stop before we hit y, with a good few miles in between

The dozey ****es then go to get up and start screaming at the driver to let them off :rolleyes:

Advertisement