Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Observations of Passenger Stupidity on Dublin Bus

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The multiple pressers of the bell - can't understand that at all.

First person presses bell - 'Stopping' sign lights up - up to four or five loons keep repeatedly pressing the bell - to be sure to be sure??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

spurious wrote: »
    The multiple pressers of the bell - can't understand that at all.

First person presses bell - 'Stopping' sign lights up - up to four or five loons keep repeatedly pressing the bell - to be sure to be sure??:confused:

I'm surprised you can figure that out. The bell on all low-floor vehicles (the entire fleet except one bus as of today, and the only ones with illuminated "stopping" signs) will only ever ring once when a button is pressed downstairs and once with a different tone when pressed upstairs (to alert the driver that someone will be coming down the stairs). After that the bell is disabled and will not sound again until after the bus has left the next stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

lxflyer wrote: »
    I'm surprised you can figure that out. The bell on all low-floor vehicles (the entire fleet except one bus as of today, and the only ones with illuminated "stopping" signs) will only ever ring once when a button is pressed downstairs and once with a different tone when pressed upstairs (to alert the driver that someone will be coming down the stairs). After that the bell is disabled and will not sound again until after the bus has left the next stop.

I'm not sure why you're surprised; you can see people doing it. I've often noticed it myself. It's stupid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

devnull wrote: »
    Upstairs generally people walk upstairs, look at the front, the first few rows behind the stairs, and not further back, even though there may be many seats in the back few rows, t

Upstairs and the back of the 40, where brave men fear to tread :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Some things annoy me....

1. When you're at the bus stop with a shít load of other people, the bus is seen down the road and everyone gets up to prepare for boarding. Yet when the bus is about 50 yards down the road you'll get some tool frantically sticking his arm out just in case the bus driver has managed to completely miss the 15 people waiting at the bus stop and will therefore drive on. That that same tool will repeat the frantic arm waving even after the bus has indicated that they're pulling in.

2. People without prams who sit in that special seat for people with prams even though there's plenty of other seats available. Then when someone with a pram does get on, this person doesn't think to just get up and move to another seat, making the person with the pram stand. Cúnts.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure why you're surprised; you can see people doing it. I've often noticed it myself. It's stupid!

What I meant was that the previous poster was implying that he could hear the bell several times. What I'm saying is that you can't - it will only sound once upstairs and downstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Some things annoy me....

1. When you're at the bus stop with a shít load of other people, the bus is seen down the road and everyone gets up to prepare for boarding. Yet when the bus is about 50 yards down the road you'll get some tool frantically sticking his arm out just in case the bus driver has managed to completely miss the 15 people waiting at the bus stop and will therefore drive on.

I've seen it happen where the driver did drive on when nobody put their hand out. Even on at stops where it was the only route that served it.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

What I meant was that the previous poster was implying that he could hear the bell several times. What I'm saying is that you can't - it will only sound once upstairs and downstairs.

I get the bus every morning and every evening. The bell does ring more than once before each stop when more than one person presses it.

james142 wrote: »
    I get the bus every morning and every evening. The bell does ring more than once before each stop when more than one person presses it.

Yes it can ring more than once but for the reason I have outlined above. It can ring twice as there are two different tones. One for downstairs and one for upstairs. Neither of these will then ring again subsequently until the doors have been opened as they are automatically disabled.

This was not the case on the Olympians (only one left) where you could ring the bell to your hearts content.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I got the 145 out of town yesterday as far as "Ballsbridge". I was on the top deck and there were at least four free seats at the back. True to form when I tried to disembark the lower saloon including the exit was clogged with people scared of heights.

• Advertisement

I'd be more concerned about you being on a 145 to Ballsbridge given it goes via Leeson Street and Donnybrook!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I'd be more concerned about you being on a 145 to Ballsbridge given it goes via Leeson Street and Donnybrook!
    Did you miss the inverted commas?;) It was a reference to the Burlington and surrounding businesses listing themselves as being in Ballsbridge.

No I didn't miss them, but it's a tad difficult to mind read!

Yes it can ring more than once but for the reason I have outlined above. It can ring twice as there are two different tones. One for downstairs and one for upstairs. Neither of these will then ring again subsequently until the doors have been opened as they are automatically disabled.

This was not the case on the Olympians (only one left) where you could ring the bell to your hearts content.
    I have heard the bottom (bell) ring more than once on the bus before dropping including this morning though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I have heard the bottom (bell) ring more than once on the bus before dropping including this morning though?

The wheelchair bell rings separately to let the driver know the ramp will need to be deployed.

So there could be up to 3 bells?

Sorry - I forgot that one!

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    The wheelchair bell rings separately to let the driver know the ramp will need to be deployed.

Ive used the bus for many years now. I think I know the difference between the 3 bells. Today as i was getting off I pressed the bell (I was sitting downstairs) after someone else, who was getting off at the same stop had pressed the same button I pressed before me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Phat Cat wrote: »
    The opening of windows on cold evenings when buses are virtually empty does my head in. The thing that irritates me the most is when the people that open windows usually sit directly under them and leave the passengers down the back freezing.
    If you're on a "virtually empty bus" and you want to be in a sauna, why not sit up the front? Where is someone who likes a bit of air supposed to sit? If we open the window in front of us, someone is likely to get on and close it. If we open the one beside us, we hear whinging from those who want to sit down the back and roast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I don't know if its the case in Dublin but often I have observed many passengers who ring the bell the second the bus leaves the previous stop... better I think to ring near to the stop you want in case the driver should forget or not notice it has been rung.

corktina wrote: »
    I don't know if its the case in Dublin but often I have observed many passengers who ring the bell the second the bus leaves the previous stop... better I think to ring near to the stop you want in case the driver should forget or not notice it has been rung.

As far as I know, there is a light on the drivers dashboard telling them if the bell has being pressed or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

As far as I know, there is a light on the drivers dashboard telling them if the bell has being pressed or not.

This is true,however,these warning lights are not particularly well grouped on the Dashboard,being distanced from the Master Bus Stop W/L.

It is one of the areas of bus design,which the designers,being neither Busdrivers nor Regular Pasengers,really do need to improve upon.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The most annoying behaviour I come across on Dublin Bus almost every time I use it is that a good few customers will not have their change ready for the driver when they board... having to dig in the bag for the wallet or purse and then pay the driver.

Is it too much to ask for people to have their coins out before the bus arrives?

Aren't you forgetting that they are usually the ones who give out to the driver for being delayed/late. "I've been standing here waiting for the last 20min where were you", dumb asses never even think to do something useful in them 20min

Del2005 wrote: »
    Aren't you forgetting that they are usually the ones who give out to the driver for being delayed/late. "I've been standing here waiting for the last 20min where were you", dumb asses never even think to do something useful in them 20min

100% correct Del2005.

What I tend to do now,particularly if it's a busy journey,is to politely but firmly ask these people to step to one side so that I can facilitate their fellow passengers who,I'm sure don't wish to be further delayed....

I will usually accompany this request with a bit of eye contact with the person behind the complainer,who generally speaking,needs no further encouragement to nip in and pass through...never fails......;) I would always then advise the terminally unprepared one of the 8734222 Number for Customer Comments.

The vast majority of people are quite understanding,even when inconvenienced,however some folks just love a bit of Melodrama,even if on the platform of a Bus :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

Man on the 84X coming home last week who was standing upstsairs,talking to his work colleague who was sitting on the edge of the seat behind the stairs. There was a seat free diagonally behind the guy already sitting down but the other lad persists and continues to stand, despite the fact that several people are trying to get off. Eventually he moved and sat down.

Phat Cat wrote: »
    The opening of windows on cold evenings when buses are virtually empty does my head in. The thing that irritates me the most is when the people that open windows usually sit directly under them and leave the passengers down the back freezing. It's fine when the bus is packed and people are coughing or sneezing, but there is no need for it on empty buses, it's just plain ignorance.

Oh my God, I hate it when this happens. I always end up right in the path of that horrible breeze when I'm going in in the morning, I hate it so much. You're sitting there dozing off and then all of a sudden that icy draught catches you. Eyes narrowed, you look around fiercly trying to find the culprit :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Surprised nobody has mentioned the stupidity of people on their phone. Nobody wants to listen to your life story. Think of other people.

And just today some idiot bus driver just cut me off on Dolier Street. Yeah that's right speed up and pass the cyclist and then pull in. I had to mount the footpath and ask the idiot did he understand what mirrors are for.

Shame Santa cant take away stupid people for Christmas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

More absolute ignorance than stupidity but people pushing their way onto the bus when there's clearly a queue. See it all the time on DB.

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Surprised nobody has mentioned the stupidity of people on their phone. Nobody wants to listen to your life story. Think of other people.

And just today some idiot bus driver just cut me off on Dolier Street. Yeah that's right speed up and pass the cyclist and then pull in. I had to mount the footpath and ask the idiot did he understand what mirrors are for.

Shame Santa cant take away stupid people for Christmas!!

You have to be careful with the onthephoners....I have several regular hi-volume phoneys,however I know at least two of them are....em...a bit mithered,as my late mother would say.

These folks use the imaginary other person to craft involved scenarios and role play to increase their self-esteem as they believe it's sending a message to the other pasengers that THEY themselves are very important or involved people.

They are in fact somewhat disturbed and can become even more so if asked to shut-up or even tone it down....be careful and approach with caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

2. People without prams who sit in that special seat for people with prams even though there's plenty of other seats available. Then when someone with a pram does get on, this person doesn't think to just get up and move to another seat, making the person with the pram stand. Cúnts.
    I disagree, when a pram or wheelchair is in that space, it is meant to be against the seat, you shouldn't sit there.
    Ben D Bus wrote: »

There is a "Ding", a "beep" and an alarm to distinguish them.
    Today as i was getting off I pressed the bell (I was sitting downstairs) after someone else, who was getting off at the same stop had pressed the same button I pressed before me.
    Why? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

mfitzy wrote: »
    More absolute ignorance than stupidity but people pushing their way onto the bus when there's clearly a queue. See it all the time on DB.

can't remember seeing an actual queue for a Dublin bus any time in the past decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

can't remember seeing an actual queue for a Dublin bus any time in the past decade.

Go anywhere near College Green between 5 and 6pm.

Advertisement