Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If the UK asked Ireland to rejoin the Union, how would you vote?

• 20-09-2014 6:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

If the UK asked Ireland to rejoin the Union, how would you vote?

1. Yes to accept rejoining the Union.
    2. No to reject rejoining the Union.

If the UK asked Ireland to rejoin the Union, how would you vote? 346 votes

Yes to accept rejoining the Union
    0%
    No to reject rejoining the Union
    100%
    [Deleted User]NemesisregiManachPing Chow ChiSimijimmadRichardjoolsveerBeanortronSprostonGreenBluE-WinGthewingZhaneFighting IrishnxbyveromdwjpgcarlosGuy:Incognitodonutheadhomer 346 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭qdawg86

The whack eh bog off the Irish government.........Id still vote no though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A federal Union of the 4 great states who built the Empire. Ireland is unified and old tensions die, a new force to lead the way, two islands united. We're not European we're British and Irish Dammit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Good God no !!

Cannot understand why anyone would entertain such a notion, or even willingly choose not to seize an opportunity to break away from such a union.

Madness.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,671 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

A federal Union of the 4 great states who built the Empire. Ireland is unified and old tensions die, a new force to lead the way, two islands united. We're not European we're British and Irish Dammit!

Yeah great Empire it was built on slavery and murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

Yeah great Empire it was built on slavery and murder.

Name one that wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Yes for a federal union with taxation, financial and foreign policy decided in Dublin, Belfast, Edinburgh, Cardiff and London.

No for a union with everything decided on in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

6 replies and nobody's called anyone a West Brit :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Yawn, we are not British. You may be, I'm not. I see no benefit to Ireland having anything to do with the UK, excluding of course good friends and neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,671 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Name one that wasn't.

I don't have to name one that wasn't because they all were.

Taking what didn't belong to them and killing anyone who got in their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Deedsie wrote: »
    Yawn, we are not British. You may be, I'm not. I see no benefit to Ireland having anything to do with the UK, excluding of course good friends and neighbours.

British for those who live on the island of Britain, Irish for those who live on the island of Ireland. It's simple the United Kingdom of Britain and Ireland. Four small North Atlantic nations who've given so much to the rest of the world.

And they said that the Romans were ahead of their time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Depends on the nature of the 'union' - if it was a federated republic with a strong upper house where each country had equal representation then I'd could be persuaded to vote for it.

Also, the NHS would have to replace the HSE - the utility companies would have to be allowed to operate here - education would have to be 'proper' free - and we'd have to get the same motor tax :)

Queenie would have to go as head of state - she's a nice lady, but the whole idea of monarchies is way outmoded.

If it simply meant having a parliament in Dublin with the same powers as whatever the Scots get, and us returning a number of MPs based on our population size then probably no.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I voted 'no' but even I can see the irony of your 'yawn'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,507 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I see no benefit to Ireland having anything to do with the UK, excluding of course good friends and neighbours.
    You forget trade.

Symbiosis and all that, and the world is no longer flat.

Not your ornery onager

It's kind of interesting that when we were on our uppers we borrowed from a number of sources including the UK and our European 'friends' - who do you think is charging us the lowest interest (by some margin)? HINT: It's also the same country that adds the lowest margin (0.18%) to it's own borrowing costs to calculate the rate it charges us.......;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Name one that wasn't.

It made Ireland what it is to-day.

The Germans would not have done that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Public poll nice touch :eek:

We should do that in real life too. None of this secret ballot b0llox:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

We're already in a union of a European variety. That'll do pig that'll do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Depends on what's in it for us. I wouldn't dismiss it completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

And que at foreign exchanges to go on holidays.No from me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

This is what would make more sense. It is strange that we had no problem joining the EU but a question about Commonwealth or a Union of the British Isles is out of the question for vague nationalistic reasons of old. Like it or not we are economically, culturally and lately politically more closely aligned the the UK than any where else in the world. It seems the French try and screw us over, given any opportunity to talk about our tax rates but the Brits have our back in regards this matter. Yet, cognitive dissonance reigns in Irish Republican circles.

• Advertisement

jank wrote: »
    This is what would make more sense. It is strange that we had no problem joining the EU but a question about Commonwealth or a Union of the British Isles is out of the question for vague nationalistic reasons of old. Like it or not we are economically, culturally and lately politically more closely aligned the the UK than any where else in the world. It seems the French try an screw us over given any opportunity to talk about our tax rates and the Brits is seems has our back in regards this matter. Yet, cognitive dissonance reigns in Irish republican circles.

I think politically the main stumbling blocks would be having a monarch as head of state and that unless there was huge political reform any federation / union would be dominated by the English - hence my suggestion for an upper house where each country has equal representation.

The only 'down' side I can see is that we lose an EU Commissioner - but given the latest gombeen we've just sent out there, maybe that's not such a bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

jank wrote: »
    This is what would make more sense. It is strange that we had no problem joining the EU but a question about Commonwealth or a Union of the British Isles is out of the question for vague nationalistic reasons of old. Like it or not we are economically, culturally and lately politically more closely aligned the the UK than any where else in the world. It seems the French try an screw us over given any opportunity to talk about our tax rates and the Brits is seems has our back in regards this matter. Yet, cognitive dissonance reigns in Irish republican circles.

That's simply not true. Politically the Irish are very pro European Union, the British on the other hand are one of the least and could potentially withdraw from it in the near future. Fine Gael are the most right of centre party in Ireland but would be seen as Lefties by the Conservatives. Our Labour Party is to the left of their Labour Party. Fianna Fail and Sinn Fein are quite different to the Lib Dems.
    Irish people don't want a Euro skeptic right wing government.

We have the Common Travel Area which means there are no added conveniences to having a union with Britain.

We would have to harmonise our corporation tax with the rest of the UK. Bye bye FDI!!!

We would have to send our troops to Iraq and Afghanistan. We would become a more legitimate target for Islamic extremists.

We could see a rejuvenated New IRA drawing Republicans from all corners of the island to violently fight against it.

The Queen would be our head of state.

My local TDs voice would be diluted by having a larger core of politicians ( who would be mainly English and simply don't care about Ireland).

Should we join a union with Britain? GET DA FUK...!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

No.

although I'm pretty sure a decent proportion of the media would try and convince us to rejoin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Henry Sidney

We don't want you anyway. Bad enough having the North, which we would gladly get rid of tomorrow, without taking the baggage of the South too.

It's really about time you stopped thinking we care about it to be honest. Stupid amount of UK related threads on here. Is there nothing else to talk about in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

What'd be the difference? Our government copies everything the British government does except with a bit of 1950s sexism and racism thrown in.

We probably wouldn't even notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

That's simply not true. Politically the Irish are very pro European Union, the British on the other hand are one of the least and could potentially withdraw from it in the near future. Fine Gael are the most right of centre party in Ireland but would be seen as Lefties by the Conservatives. Our Labour Party is to the left of their Labour Party. Fianna Fail and Sinn Fein are quite different to the Lib Dems.

Maybe, maybe not, but if for the sake of argument someone did, how should they cast their vote?
    We would have to send our troops to Iraq and Afghanistan. We would become a more legitimate target for Islamic extremists.
    We do anyway. Admittedly we don't send them but there are a lot of Irish/Irish descent in UK forces.
    Yep we'd lose that 5 yearly bumfest of the political parties putting up there favourite gob$shoite.

Simply not true - the Scots (are they not also British) are very pro-Europe, and the Welsh Cornish (are they not British) - moderately pro-Europe. The British are more than the 'Home Counties' parochial English.
    We have the Common Travel Area which means there are no added conveniences to having a union with Britain.

True
    We would have to harmonise our corporation tax with the rest of the UK. Bye bye FDI!!!

Not true - the reforms proposed for the Scots include tax varying powers - the simple idea being that the Parliament in Edinburgh would have the power to set many of it's own taxes, with a the block grant being varied accordingly.

If anything that retained power combined with unfettered access to the financial services sector in London would boost FDI.

We would enjoy a shared defence that's true - but it's not like Irish men (including personnel from the PDF) haven't already served there.

We'd be part of NATO, but our defence costs would be covered.

I think you misunderstand what 'Islamic' extremists are interested in targeting.
    We could see a rejuvenated New IRA drawing Republicans from all corners of the island to violently fight against it.

If it was the expressed democratic will of the people I doubt there would be any significant reaction - you'll still have the headbangers but nothing except some kind of Marxist/Leninist north Atlantic state will ever satisfy them.

Not necessarily - you'd assume if this did come to pass there would be a process of negotiation. It would be a deal breaker, I agree, but there's plenty of support for a republic in England, Scotland and Wales - so it's not impossible to imagine herself being relegated to something less relevant where the institution would have nothing to do with the governing of this new imaginary federation!
    My local TDs voice would be diluted by having a larger core of politicians ( who would be mainly English and simply don't care about Ireland).

An end to the parish pump politics that have plagued and retarded this country for generations? - no more getting the roads fixed, the medical card sorted, de Minister down to open the local supermarket / offlicence / garden shed etc. Government in the national interest sounds like a bad idea alright :rolleyes:

Easy enough to counter the mainly English parliament by setting up a strong upper house with each country given equal representation.

We don't want you anyway. Bad enough having the North, which we would gladly get rid of tomorrow, without taking the baggage of the South too.

It's really about time you stopped thinking we care about it to be honest. Stupid amount of UK related threads on here. Is there nothing else to talk about in Ireland?

If you don't like it then why don't you leave - have a referendum with yourself ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Maybe, maybe not, but if for the sake of argument someone did, how should they cast their vote?

Are the Christian Party? If there was a large core vote out there for a right wing Euro sceptic party I'm sure that space would be filled by someone, it's not though.
    We do anyway. Admittedly we don't send them but there are a lot of Irish/Irish descent in UK forces.

Irish people fighting under the tricolour are not engaged in active combat in Iraq and Afghanistan. I like that, the Islamic extremists like that, everybody is happy. :)
    Yep we'd lose that 5 yearly bumfest of the political parties putting up there favourite gob$shoite.

It's 7 years. I'd prefer having an Irish hobbit as our national figure head rather than an Anglo/German hobbit as our national figure head. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Jawgap wrote: »
    Also, the NHS would have to replace the HSE

Reporter: Minister, is this true? What are your thoughts on health harmonisation?

Reply: "That would be an EU medical matter."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Only if we can support their football teams like Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Celtic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I've had enough of "the mainland, "British isles", "Paddies", "Micks".
    I'll stay with the enormous debt and the begrudgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Colinf1212

FunLover18 wrote: »
    6 replies and nobody's called anyone a West Brit :confused:

No point in saying it anymore. Too far gone.

If you don't like it then why don't you leave - have a referendum with yourself ;)

I left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

If it could a federal republic with Michael D as head of state and holding onto the Euro then yes!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Irish people fighting under the tricolour are not engaged in active combat in Iraq and Afghanistan. I like that, the Islamic extremists like that, everybody is happy. :)

Really?

So this isn't a photo of ISAF Deputy Commander British Lt. Gen. Adrian Bradshaw presenting shamrocks to Irish service members at ISAF headquarters to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day?

http://www.strikehold.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/6989872337_555418eb06_b.jpg

Second guy in looks like he's wearing a Cavalry Corps beret?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 billy111

Can you imagine the referendum posters. Kenny with a union jack tie. Martin mansergh head of elections.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Instead we have a left wing Euroskeptic party in Sinn Fein :). Were we not asked to vote twice for Nice and Lisbon? Euroskepticism exists to a large degree in Ireland. Politically we are more aligned and close to Westminster than any other parliament in the world. We are more like the UK than anywhere in Europe, this is just plain fact.

Other than the Irish Republican dream of a united Ireland and closer economic and political ties to our nearest neighbour. Yes, would did the Romans ever do for us.

This is where what type of federation would come into it. Ireland should be able to set its own tax rates but you ignore my point about the French having a go at Ireland regards this. Irish tax rates are already under threat. Perhaps a Union with Britain could safe guard Irish tax rates? Not as easy to bully. ;)

Well we must not at all upset those animals in the Middle East who behead people. I see appeasement is alive and well...

Like above, this would be a democratic process. Are we really afraid of a few thugs with guns?

Not necessarily and not a problem for NZ, Australia and Canada as well as a host of other nations. I would have thought we are over that insecurity.

Again, depends on the make of a federation. Usually in a federation all parts get a equal say in the higher house like in the US Congress.

We are already in a union with Britain, its called the EU.

Simply not true - the Scots (are they not also British) are very pro-Europe, and the Welsh Cornish (are they not British) - moderately pro-Europe. The British are more than the 'Home Counties' parochial English.

True

Not true - the reforms proposed for the Scots include tax varying powers - the simple idea being that the Parliament in Edinburgh would have the power to set many of it's own taxes, with a the block grant being varied accordingly.

If anything that retained power combined with unfettered access to the financial services sector in London would boost FDI.

We would enjoy a shared defence that's true - but it's not like Irish men (including personnel from the PDF) haven't already served there.

We'd be part of NATO, but our defence costs would be covered.

I think you misunderstand what 'Islamic' extremists are interested in targeting.

If it was the expressed democratic will of the people I doubt there would be any significant reaction - you'll still have the headbangers but nothing except some kind of Marxist/Leninist north Atlantic state will ever satisfy them.

Not necessarily - you'd assume if this did come to pass there would be a process of negotiation. It would be a deal breaker, I agree, but there's plenty of support for a republic in England, Scotland and Wales - so it's not impossible to imagine herself being relegated to something less relevant where the institution would have nothing to do with the governing of this new imaginary federation!

An end to the parish pump politics that have plagued and retarded this country for generations? - no more getting the roads fixed, the medical card sorted, de Minister down to open the local supermarket / offlicence / garden shed etc. Government in the national interest sounds like a bad idea alright :rolleyes:

Easy enough to counter the mainly English parliament by setting up a strong upper house with each country given equal representation.

Could you just give me some real tangible benefits that Ireland would enjoy by joining the UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I would give multiquoters their own country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

No. They'd be all over here, trying to steal our fields. With their multi culturism.

The NHS would be nice though.

Could you just give me some real tangible benefits that Ireland would enjoy by joining the UK?

more to the point, if the UK was supposedly asking Ireland to join the union, what would Ireland bring? What possible reason would we have other than a bail out?

Well the NHS for a start - having had to put sick kids through both the NHS and the HSE, I know which system I prefer!

Free education - as in actually 'free' - not free with voluntary donations, fees for 'arts materials' etc

Proper accountability for politicians, utility companies, so called professionals and local administrators

Win a few medals at the Olympics

The roads......*

We wouldn't have to doff the cap and tug our national forelock at the German Chancellor or the French President and ask them nicely for more......

Plus, who is to say we wouldn't end up running the show? Historically, whatever country the Irish have travelled to, and whatever international institutions we've been a part of, we've always been pretty good at getting into and controlling the key positions of real power!

*I know it goes without saying :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

more to the point, if the UK was supposedly asking Ireland to join the union, what would Ireland bring? What possible reason would we have other than a bail out?

Have a look at this guys post history and please tell me why he hasn't been banned yet?

the third largest trade surplus in the EU?

It would offset just over 50% of the UK's record trade deficit ;)

EDIT: and, apparently, an economy that's growing twice as fast as the 'mainland' economy; a current account surplus of nearly €3 billion (compared to the UK's current account deficit of stg£18.5 billion)

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Colinf1212

Have a look at this guys post history and please tell me why he hasn't been banned yet?

Why do you think? All his posts get likes too which is unsurprising. Lapdogs for any pro-British, anti-Irish comments on these boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Colinf1212 wrote: »
    Why do you think? All his posts get likes too which is unsurprising. Lapdogs for any pro-British, anti-Irish comments on these boards.

He's not bro-British or just anti-Irish:
    I would love to see Scotland vote yes, then ideally Wales and NI will follow and we will have got rid of all the junk little holes that we don't need.

Also its the manner in which he comments, hes obviously here purely to troll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

We don't want you anyway. Bad enough having the North, which we would gladly get rid of tomorrow,

Yeah they were so eager to get rid of the place they fought a 25 year conflict there with the aim of retaining sovereignty there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

So long as we make Michael D King and the union is ruled from Ireland. That'd be a hoot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Relations are as good as they have ever been at the moment. No need for a union as we work so closely with the UK anyway. Just return the North to us when it is wanted by the majority of NI and we can afford it please :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement