Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,580 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

sammy37 wrote: »
    Fair play to you and I hope more people follow -I shall be doing something similar by gathering at least 50% of my water through a cheap rainwater system to feed my toilets, washing machine and garden so these people on the gravy train can find someone else to fund their lavish lifestyles.

The problem is that if these feckers don't raise enough money they just increase the price.
    The rich Govt friends must be looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭rameire

once the president signs the Social Welfare and Pensions bill 2014 into law, Irish water will be on the approved list of companies to ask for your pps number,
    the act is sitting on the presidents desk at the moment just waiting.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

rameire wrote: »
    once the president signs the Social Welfare and Pensions bill 2014 into law, Irish water will be on the approved list of companies to ask for your pps number,
    the act is sitting on the presidents desk at the moment just waiting.

Which is handy. Pity they aren't so quick to sign other stuff into law. Amazing how fast they move when it suits. And how slow when it doesn't..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Which is handy. Pity they aren't so quick to sign other stuff into law. Amazing how fast they move when it suits. And how slow when it doesn't..

Paying off the debts of others, always seems to be a pressing priority in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

I have a problem with them asking for my bank details because of past experiences I never set up a Direct Debit, I do pay a little more for my electric because of this, but this is my choice so that I have control of my own money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭flutered

It's plain and simple why they will be asking for a pps number.

If you are in an unmetered house, estate or in an apartment complex, and you refuse to pay, they can then deduct at source (seeing as turning off or reducing the pressure isn't an option to them)

I hope the Irish people finally start standing up to these shower of pricks In govt tbh.

by law they cannot turn it off, how will they turn it ddown for an individual flat in a block of flats, never mind a large high rise. one of the directors in iw does not live here, he has estate deals in the us, russia and a few more distant lands, oh his only conneection to ireland aside from being irish is his connection to sharry fitzgerald, the one co founded by the son of garret the good.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

Sure you give your PPS to banks and the like just to open an account. They are private companies too.

When you apply for your credit card, you give them permission in the small print to give your information away to any organisation connected with them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

I am starting to think I must be the only person in Ireland who thinks that we should pay for the water we use ???

I'm genuinely bewildered that so many people think that this utility should be free.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Th!ng

The Blueshirt scum don't have the courage to call it what it is - another bondholder bailout tax. I'd jump for joy if those politicians responsible for the introduction of water charges were found floating face down in resevoirs.

Pwindedd wrote: »
    I am starting to think I must be the only person in Ireland who thinks that we should pay for the water we use ???

I'm genuinely bewildered that so many people think that this utility should be free.

It isn't and never was free. Like Coveney blurted out, we have always paid for it through taxation. The bewilderment may be more widespread than you feared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

My pps number is in the system,go fetch if you want it IW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

yes, water costs money to maintain and supply...

but why are Irish Water looking for someone's PPS number?

Any chance it is just out of Curiosity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

And THAT will not be abused at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

I cant believe how incredibly gullible and plain thick some people still are in thinking that lpt and water tax has and will be used to improve and upgrade infrastructure.
    How fuking stupid are you people?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Because it's a unique identifier for the allowances. It's not the PIN number to your soul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

Firefox11 wrote: »
    Property Tax....Water Tax.....No Difference really.

Only the water 'tax' isn't a tax though.....is it?
    Either way, I win't be giving them my PPS number or any other details for that matter.

'Irish Water' is state super quango set up for the benefit of FG's 'tax non dom' sugar daddy.
    I'd suggest everyone here researches Siteserv, the debt it had written off (€100 million that us as taxpayers are paying) before it was sold to tax non dom and how that same company was awarded the water meter contract ahead of other companies.
    Tax non dom was corruptly awarded a phone licence years ago by FG and now history seems to be repeating itself.
    DISGUSTING, as FG TD's would say.

BTW, there will be NO improvement in water services anytime soon AND the LA's are still responsible for water for the next 12 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

ankaragucu wrote: »
    I cant believe how incredibly gullible and plain thick some people still are in thinking that lpt and water tax has and will be used to improve and upgrade infrastructure.

It's called brainwashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

It was never free, tax payer's money was paying for it all along.
    Irish water is just a huge quango to create jobs for the boys..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

The Th!ng wrote: »
    The Blueshirt scum don't have the courage to call it what it is - another bondholder bailout tax. I'd jump for joy if those politicians responsible for the introduction of water charges were found floating face down in resevoirs.

You mean Fianna Fáil, right? The party that signed us up to water charges when they went looking for a bailout?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

sammy37 wrote: »
    I also lived in uk and may i ask what were your bin charges ,motor tax ,doctor fees,medicine charges and school fees compared to here? They were multiple times less than here so your not comparing like for like are you.

My bin charges were included in the £1646 (about €2100) council tax.
    My bin charges here are under €300.

Thankfully I'm healthy so rarely have the need to see a doctor, but I did need a doctor in the UK and an appointment took over 2 weeks on average and I can remember that on the three visits I had, I was seen by three different doctors. I believe the system is still the same!

Motor Tax / Road Fund Licence - very little difference. for my car £125 in UK and €200 in Ireland. However diesel is almost 30c per litre DEARER in uk, so over a year on my mileage, that would be an extra €800 in fuel costs in UK.

Medicine charges - In the UK, they are paid via your national insurance contributions/tax. Nothing to do with local councils.

School fees - if its private school where you have a chance at a decent education, its way above the cost of similar in Ireland. In the public system its free just like here, however the standard of education is quite a bit lower, so no thanks.

So overall, having only left the UK 4 years ago, I find cost of living cheaper here, though higher rate tax at 33k is unfair. But services are better and the idea of "user pays" is far far far fairer than current system of paying through taxation. - Though to be palatable for most there needs to be a reduction in taxation to reflect the transfer of cost of water from the exchequer to individuals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I wonder if paying for the stuff that's all around us will finally fix the lime issue in my area...

I can literally go through kettles every 2 to 3 weeks!

It's a disgrace, I have to use a little sieve just to get a cup of tea!

How many years until we have a "quality of air" tax?

I could honestly see it now, it's needed to make sure Ireland's air remains pure, no smog!

Feck Irish Water.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

delahuntv wrote: »

Thankfully I'm healthy so rarely have the need to see a doctor, but I did need a doctor in the UK and an appointment took over 2 weeks on average and I can remember that on the three visits I had, I was seen by three different doctors. I believe the system is still the same!

Motor Tax / Road Fund Licence - very little difference. for my car £125 in UK and €200 in Ireland. However diesel is almost 30c per litre DEARER in uk, so over a year on my mileage, that would be an extra €800 in fuel costs in UK.

Medicine charges - In the UK, they are paid via your national insurance contributions/tax. Nothing to do with local councils.

School fees - if its private school where you have a chance at a decent education, its way above the cost of similar in Ireland. In the public system its free just like here, however the standard of education is quite a bit lower, so no thanks.

So overall, having only left the UK 4 years ago, I find cost of living cheaper here, though higher rate tax at 33k is unfair. But services are better and the idea of "user pays" is far far far fairer than current system of paying through taxation. - Though to be palatable for most there needs to be a reduction in taxation to reflect the transfer of cost of water from the exchequer to individuals.

Stop with your facts, they're wasted here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

ankaragucu wrote: »

It probably will because there is an incentive to maintain the service now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,719 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just on the car tax point... car tax here is FAR higher than the UK if you are still driving an older pre-08 car. Then you pay again come trade-in as no-one wants a car that's not on "de cheap tax". Worse again if you are driving a petrol car.

The idea of "user pays" might be good in principle but I'm afraid the reality is that taxes won't be reducing in-line with this for "everyone else". While things like the USC may eventually be scrapped, you can be sure it'll be clawed back through some other tax/levy/charge if it is.

Again though, people are missing the point. This is nothing to do with making people pay for their water - they already do through general taxation, nor is it to do with "allowances". It's all to setup another form of taxation under the guise of "fairness" and once it's up and running you can guarantee the charges will increase each year (plus they've already said they will charge more if usage drops - so much for "user pays" - and are looking to reduce the "allowances" as well).

As usual though the general public are too busy bitching among themselves over what someone else might be getting/getting away with that they're not. :rolleyes:

It probably will because there is an incentive to maintain the service now.

There's no incentive at all. IW have a guaranteed market and it's already been talked about that price hikes will follow if usage drops off.

The bare minimum will be done as is the case now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭OldRio

You were doing so well but over egged it.
    The health system in this country is appalling. The NHS is a system that works. It is treat like a political football in the UK. It may have faults but my God I wish we had it here.
    'Services are better' ? In Ireland? Pray tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    So it seems Irish water will be asking you for your PPS number - LINK. However Irish water seem to be unaware they legally can't seek this information.
    This is a nice catch, kudos, but it doesn't seem that simple. Employers, banks and landlords frequently do ask for and store your PPSN, yet this is not illegal. So clearly the social welfare acts is not the be-all and end-all. In any case, I would fully expect that this has been or very soon will be accommodated for in law.
    Surely this is a good reason to give Irish water your full support - they will invest and have a lot more expert to correct issues than any local council.
    And they'll have a PSO, which the local council don't. Failure to correct problems in a timely manner will result in fines for Irish Water, whereas the council can ignore it basically as long as they want.
    The Th!ng wrote: »
    One thing which so many people seem to have missed is that access to install water meters has been provided in every new development built since the early 2000s and maybe earlier. Those guys digging holes in the paths are only doing so for older properties.

Every government and local council for the last ten years has known full well that water charges were coming in eventually (our water supply model is unsustainable in any economy). It was just a game of pass the parcel and the music happened to stop when Fine Gael got into power.

There is no political party who can claim they had nothing to do with this. Even your local SF councillors would have been well aware this was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭OldRio

Stop with your facts, they're wasted here.

Facts? No. A quick check on the diesel price in Enniskillen shows that it is about 10/12c dearer than here. Not 30c.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    And they'll have a PSO, which the local council don't. Failure to correct problems in a timely manner will result in fines for Irish Water, whereas the council can ignore it basically as long as they want.

And who will pay those fines?

I'll give you a clue. It's the same folk who paid for bank recapitalisation through higher charges

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement