Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OS X 10.10 Yosemite

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

mike_ie wrote: »
    If it were me, I'd be creating a bootable USB install drive....

+1 to that.
    I always used terminal to do it but I recently used Diskmaker and its a brilliant little app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

Have lads bothered going from the latest beta to the full release? Keeps saying I have 10.10 installed already when I go to download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Now when I TV out with my HDMI adapter the sound goes to the tv too! :D

efb wrote: »
    Now when I TV out with my HDMI adapter the sound goes to the tv too! :D

That is fantastic news! Finally! Used to wreck my head manually doing it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

pedatron wrote: »
    Have lads bothered going from the latest beta to the full release? Keeps saying I have 10.10 installed already when I go to download.

A few people have done what you are saying - it's been mentioned in the past few days. Just install the new release over the beta.

• Advertisement

A few people have done what you are saying - it's been mentioned in the past few days. Just install the new release over the beta.

Sorry. I skimmed back over the past few days and didn't see that. Thanks kindly!

Sorry. I skimmed back over the past few days and didn't see that. Thanks kindly!

No worries :D The usual disclaimers apply of course - back up everything first, yadda yadda, but I haven't heard of anybody having issues so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Decided to update my macbook pro retina today to it and now I have major problems the mac is stuck in grey screen with the progress bar not moving for the past 2 hours and have seen a lot of people with the same problem on line that it could take hours.

I am not doing a fresh install just a update but there would be about 200GB on the 512GB SSD could that be the problem with how much data there is on the hard drive ?.

Never had a problem updateing any OS before on my old macbook pro 13 inch .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

did a clean install on mine through a bootable usb. installed pretty quickly, and to be honest, im very happy with yosemite so far.

Ended up powering off the mac and starring from fresh 15 mins to update from re start delighted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I got an email from Apple earlier thanking me for being part of the public beta, the email actually tells you to download the full release and install it over the beta. That's what I did anyway but it's the correct way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Slowly but surely everything seems to be working. Handoff from Safari finally appeared on the iPhone 6. The only thing that doesn't seem to work for me is handoff back to the macbook. The tab is showing up, but when I click on it - nothing. Could be an issue with Chrome though...

New notification centre is incredibly useful. Finding it actually much more handy on the macbook than I do on the phone.
    I like the new look (apart from the retarded looking new finder icon).
    Spotlight seems to be much more useful now too.
    Airdrop also works perfectly (did take a while to see the devices)
    Continuity is working perfectly for me so far - Calls appearing on the mac / able to dial out from the mac. Everything works. Looking forward to iOS8.1 to see how SMS relay works.

unrelated to the update - Happy that Chrome finally supports retina displays too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

DubDJ wrote: »
    I got an email from Apple earlier thanking me for being part of the public beta, the email actually tells you to download the full release and install it over the beta. That's what I did anyway but it's the correct way to go.

I too, had the Beta version. Same dialogue came up for me. I downloaded the full version over the beta version.

About 1.50Hours to download and about 35Mins to install. The download will be very quick if you have Fibre.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Final build is 14A389. I’m on 14A388b, i.e. public beta 6. But I’d imagine they are the same thing. I’ll find out when 10.10.1 is released, I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

15398349549_f8d820226b_c.jpg

Post Yosemite, I'm getting this screen each time i reopen a 2011 MBP 13, any suggestions? Also the wifi appears to drop off frequently, is this a known issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

^ is this a 2011 MBP?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Time to do a clean install.

Looks like something's conflicting/broken somewhere. Install from scratch....

^ is this a 2011 MBP?
    Yes....

Its one of a number of issues, so a clean install might be my only option once i go home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

smurfjed wrote: »
    Yes....

Its one of a number of issues, so a clean install might be my only option once i go home.

Hopefully,

You have done a back up before this has happened.?

If so then a clean install would be the ideal solution. As with clean install one wipes the HD.

Suggest that you look up doing a clean install either on Apple website or there are many examples on "You Tube".

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Installed it Saturday and it's working a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

smurfjed wrote: »
    15398349549_f8d820226b_c.jpg

Post Yosemite, I'm getting this screen each time i reopen a 2011 MBP 13, any suggestions? Also the wifi appears to drop off frequently, is this a known issue?

I had this issue after waking up my 2011 macbook on Mavericks. A suggestion which worked for me was to reset the macs pram: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14222?viewlocale=en_US

Only getting 6 hours now since updating on a full charge was getting 8 hours before Yosemite any one else the same ?.

I had this issue after waking up my 2011 macbook on Mavericks. A suggestion which worked for me was to reset the macs pram: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14222?viewlocale=en_US
    IT-Guy , thanks that appears to have fixed that issue. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

Only getting 6 hours now since updating on a full charge was getting 8 hours before Yosemite any one else the same ?.
    My battery life is noticeably shorter. I have a 2012 macbook pro.

glack wrote: »
    My battery life is noticeably shorter. I have a 2012 macbook pro.

Using a late 2013 15 inch retina but its only 4 month old.

ITs saying Safari is eating the battery Wasn't like that before the update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Get SMS relay working too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Advertisement

I think continuity is a bit hit and miss for now. SMS relay seems to be working good for me on iPhone, iPad and Mac but the phone call side of things isn't looking good. I made a call from my Mac but only when I unlocked the phone. While it was sleeping the calls kept failing, which is a bit pointless and defeats the point of using the feature. Hopefully it gets sorted soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

I have to update this for work and, as with a lot of Apple products, it's not fully baked at GM. This is a shame. It might harm the brand eventually but they are motoring on sales for now.

If you are seeing problems with networking slowness or battery life I noticed that the App Store is continually trying to download items when automatic downloads are on, failing and retrying.

DubDJ wrote: »
    I think continuity is a bit hit and miss for now. SMS relay seems to be working good for me on iPhone, iPad and Mac but the phone call side of things isn't looking good. I made a call from my Mac but only when I unlocked the phone. While it was sleeping the calls kept failing, which is a bit pointless and defeats the point of using the feature. Hopefully it gets sorted soon.

Must be a bug - I can make outgoing calls without touching the phone at all. Haven't had any issues with continuity (yet)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'm having major issues with iPhoto which I posted about in a separate thread. Also had to download Java updates to get Photoshop to work.

In the process of testing other apps.

MS Office moves so much slower than before. Not that it was ever fast anyway. Pile of crap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Finding bugs and issues all over Yosemite. Completely regret upgrading.

Issues with notifications and FaceTime. iTunes is slow and opens by itself. No sign of a fix for the iPhoto issue. Issues with not recognising Time Machine backups.

Shambles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I must have been lucky :) mines working great. I'm migrating slowly though and retained a partition with 10.9

• Advertisement

Working great for me too, no issues at all except maybe the wifi gets a bit slow randomly but that could be the internet itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

I've started getting this error since updating when I try to move files between external hard drives:

-50 paramErr Error in user parameter list

Been finding it grand myself only think that took me at shock at 1st was its just like IOS 8 and my god i hate the new IOS on the iPhone. But i have got used to look of it and i am finding it to be a hell of a lot faster then before the update.

Only problem that i faced is Facebook some times dosint load the web page for me and i have to try 4 or 5 times to get it to load :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Yes happy enough with it so far. Only glitch I have come across is the screen moving up by itself when dragging a bunch of files into a different folder and leaving a space at the bottom the size of the Dock...

I got this error last night "A graphics problem has been detected. Click "Report" to submit report"
    It seems a few people on Yosemite are getting it as well.

• Advertisement

Since I switched to Yosemite I've been trying to use Safari instead of Chrome.
    I'm happy enough with it but one thing I'd like to be able to do is highlight text, right click and have search with google open in a new tab instead of the current one, is there a way to do this?

54kroc wrote: »
    Since I switched to Yosemite I've been trying to use Safari instead of Chrome.
    I'm happy enough with it but one thing I'd like to be able to do is highlight text, right click and have search with google open in a new tab instead of the current one, is there a way to do this?

Mine does this by default :confused:

Mine does this by default :confused:

Well it doesn't for me, and never has as far as I remember, not a huge deal but slightly inconvenient.

attachment.php?attachmentid=454727&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1388895157

The bottom "Search with Google" opens in a new tab, the top opens in the currently open one.

attachment.php?attachmentid=454727&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1388895157

The bottom "Search with Google" opens in a new tab, the top opens in the currently open one.

Didn't even notice the duplicate entries on the menu, I have to admit.

Didn't even notice the duplicate entries on the menu, I have to admit.

ffs me either, god knows how long I've been looking at that and not seen it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,511 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Safari's been crashing a bit, hmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭Elessar

Whats the battery life like? I haven't seen the need to upgrade yet mainly because of reports battery life is affected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Minor annoyance in QuickTime when you turn up the volume the courser stays on the screen till u move or click it.

Anyone having problems with VMware Fusion?
    Neither of my vm's are running right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement