Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NBA Regular Season 14/15

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

In fairness I don't think Hansbrough went out of his way to injure Jonas there. Obviously it was unnecessary to drag him to the ground but it's not really the same as some of the Dunleavy plays.

Also, I'm very excited for Suns @ Raptors tonight. Think it could be a great game. It's a real test for this Suns team after four relatively easy victories on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Whats going on with the raptors this year:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭padraig_f

The Bulls led by 20 in Salt Lake City and had to come from behind in the last minute to get a win. Solid win in the circumstances, Gibson was out and Rose was on a minutes restriction (probably mindful of playing a back-to-back in Denver tonight).

Mirotic is going great, Jazz commentators said if he got the minutes, he'd be rookie of the year.

Faring less well is Doug McDermott. I had concerns at draft time when I saw his DraftExpress video how well his game would translate to the NBA, and he's struggling. Just not contributing anything right now, even shooting. Whenever he's in the lineup, the Bulls seem to lose ground. Early days, you expect his shooting at least to come, but he's having a tough time right now.

Great game from Gasol back from injury.

Great game from Jimmy Butler too, who totally dominated Gordon Hayward. If Hayward got a max contract, then Jimmy's going to get one or close.

Think I'm exaggerating? NBA players sorted by wins produced (WP) this season:
    http://www.boxscoregeeks.com/players?_=1339038931838&direction=desc&minimum=true&positions[]=C&positions[]=PG&positions[]=PF&positions[]=SF&positions[]=SG&sort=wins_produced

Butler currently in 7th, and an elite defender which those stats tend to understate.

It wasn't all good last night. The interior defense and rebounding was poor, which allowed the Jazz to come back into it. But having trailed with a minute to go, I'm happy with the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

The 0-14 Sixers are just 5 games away from making history for the worst start in NBA history. Their next 5 games? They start with a 3 game homestand against the Nets, Mavs and Spurs before heading on the road for a game against Minny before welcoming the Thunder to Philly.

With plays like this, can this Philly side go down in history as the worst NBA team?

https://vine.co/v/O1gTXUIKbjQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

LOL. Imagine if the ref nailed the '3'.

Could MCW go down as the worst ROY in a long long time too?

Heck of a win for the Pacers. Zero starters from last year available. Still beat the Mavs on the road by 10. Vogel is doing such a good job at the moment keeping the scraps of a roster competitive.

In fairness at the speed of the game, he may have just got the colour of the Refs jersey mixed up with his teammate, they're kinda similar.

Early days, but just curious, NBA rookies' PER:
    RK	PLAYER                   GP	   MPG	   TS%          PER
    1	Aaron Gordon, ORL        11	   15.0	   .645 	15.53
    2	Jordan Clarkson, LAL     10	   12.2	   .529 	14.76
    3	Jabari Parker, MIL       14	   29.4	   .481 	13.43
    4	Nikola Mirotic, CHI      14	   15.3	   .567 	12.71
    5	K.J. McDaniels, PHI      14	   22.7	   .569 	12.33
    6	James Ennis, MIA         14	   13.3	   .563 	11.55
    7	Andrew Wiggins, MIN      12	   28.8	   .504 	11.35
    8	P.J. Hairston, CHA        8	   13.9	   .542 	11.08
    9	Shabazz Napier, MIA      14	   22.9	   .602 	11.03
    10	Nerlens Noel, PHI        12	   29.4	   .465 	10.87
    --
    11	Elfrid Payton, ORL       16	   23.8	   .397 	10.48
    12	Dante Exum, UTAH         15	   18.4	   .504 	10.03
    13	Bojan Bogdanovic, BKN    13	   30.7	   .538 	9.31
    14	Marcus Smart, BOS         5	   20.4	   .440 	9.07
    15	Joe Ingles, UTAH         15	   17.8	   .513 	8.66
    16	Kostas Papanikolaou, HOU 14	   25.3	   .432 	8.64
    17	Tarik Black, HOU         12	   16.0	   .482 	8.35
    18	Damjan Rudez, IND        14	   18.1	   .556 	7.35
    19	Travis Wear, NY          12	   10.4	   .416 	6.66
    20	Zach LaVine, MIN          9	   19.1	   .426 	5.53
    --
    21	Doug McDermott, CHI      14	   12.8	   .504 	4.83
    22	Nik Stauskas, SAC        13	   13.8	   .391 	3.06
    23	Joe Harris, CLE          11	   14.0	   .461 	1.61
    24	JaKarr Sampson, PHI       9	   11.2	   .284 	1.45
    25	Kyle Anderson, SA         7	   13.1	   .123 	-1.07

Jabari's efficiency quite impressive given that he's playing 30 mins/game, but his TS% isn't too good, probably taking more shots than most.

Aaron Gordon, the top-rated player was drafted 4th. Jordan Clarkson, the 2nd-rated player was drafted in the middle of the 2nd round, 46th overall!

KJ McDaniels (5th-rated) is a 2nd round pick too.

McDermott's rating even more concerning looking at that. As a college senior, you're expecting him to contribute earlier than most.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_NBA_draft#Draft_selections

I at least thought McDermott despite his lack of athleticism would be a lights out shooter.

• Advertisement

NufcNavan wrote: »
    I at least thought McDermott despite his lack of athleticism would be a lights out shooter.

He's not getting great looks at the moment, the team probably needs to help him get better looks and part of it is his own inexperience, taking some ill-advised shots. These things should be somewhat fixable, so I won't panic unless he starts missing the wide open ones.

Love Jimmy.

@NickFriedell: Thibs w/high praise for Butler "He's been incredible. He's a star. And he does it on both ends of the floor. He's just an amazing player."

Later on...

@NickFriedell: Butler's response to Thibs' praise: "I'm not a star. I'm a good role player on a really, really good team. A really, really, deep team ..."

"I like role players. "Star" has never been next to Jimmy Butler's name, it never will be. I'll always be just an under the radar dog"

The under-the-radar dog had 32 points last night.

Disappointing to see Rose go out, tight hamstring (which I think can be issues for players coming back from ACL), sounded precautionary.

Would like to see him get some continuity. Too undermanned to beat Denver after that, with Noah being a late scratch on top of Gibson.

Yep. I've been impressed with the strides Jimmy Butler has made in his offensive game. Very similar player to Paul George now in that they play at a high level at both sides of the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I love this gif too much

Nate's reaction to Faried dunk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

How many more seasons will Kobe play?
    Will he stay on to try break KAJ's scoring record?

I love this gif too much

Nate's reaction to Faried dunk

haha looks like kevin harts grandpa sketch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

MJ23 wrote: »
    How many more seasons will Kobe play?
    Will he stay on to try break KAJ's scoring record?

He signed a 2 year deal and got a big payday, this being year one. Most beat reporters have been saying that these are his last 2 seasons.

There is a real strong feeling that this is Manu's and Duncan's last season also. Spurs didn't want to pay Leonard, knowing that Ginobili and Timmy are coming off the books this summer. The belief is Kawhi was told this and he will get his max contract this summer, with Marc Gasol also possibly landing in San Antonio.

This is all mere speculation, but fairly informed speculation. If this really is the last season for these two transcendent players, then enjoy it everbody. Two of my favourite players in the league.

Oh Sixers. 50 seconds to go. Down by one. Their ball. Take a shot to try take the lead? No way. Throw a terrible pass out of bounds instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18 onlysheep

buyer95 wrote: »
    He signed a 2 year deal and got a big payday, this being year one. Most beat reporters have been saying that these are his last 2 seasons.

There is a real strong feeling that this is Manu's and Duncan's last season also. Spurs didn't want to pay Leonard, knowing that Ginobili and Timmy are coming off the books this summer. The belief is Kawhi was told this and he will get his max contract this summer, with Marc Gasol also possibly landing in San Antonio.

This is all mere speculation, but fairly informed speculation. If this really is the last season for these two transcendent players, then enjoy it everbody. Two of my favourite players in the league.

Leonard said he believes he would be a member of the Spurs in his career life in a interview. I have always been a fans of Spurs, and their offense is really beautiful. If Spurs can get Anthony Davies in after Duncan's retirement, it will be perfect!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 NYC2013

If JR Smith just passed the ball to Calderon Knicks would be up by like 10 now

NYC2013 wrote: »

If JR Smith can use his head to play, Nicks could get 40 wins this season....

NYC2013 wrote: »

If JR Smith can use his head to play, Knicks could get 40 wins this season.... LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Nice to see D Rose get through 27 minutes there scoring 21 points. Hopefully he gets through a run of games now injury free.

Things are not going well for Lance at Charlotte. Careful what you wish for.

The Hornets look good on paper, they'd be one of these teams that would be fun to play with on 2k15, but chemistry wise they're out of sync. Lots of iso players who aren't terribly efficient scorers. It's like they assembled a team based on youtube highlights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,350 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The celtics need to play for 48 minutes.

• Advertisement

How the Lakers lost last night, I'll never know

This Celtics team under Brad Stevens always seems to play the Bulls tough, fortunate to come away with a win.

Good to see Russell Westbrook back. Always thought he got too much flak for the Thunder's limitations (Scott Brooks). Didn't do so well without him.

Celtics seem to not play in the 4th quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Itssoeasy wrote:
    Celtics seem to not play in the 4th quarter.

So it seems. Saw them 2 weeks ago against Cleveland, 19 points up in the fourth, lost by 1. Frustrating.

Quality win against the Nets, I think the Bulls best performance of the season so far. No coincidence it's the 2nd straight game with all 5 starters, starting to get some continuity.

The Bulls really got a steal with Gasol. His contract is for $7m/year, but playing like a max-contract guy. Averaging 19-pts/11-rebounds, another 25/13 tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Bulls end their circus road trip at 4-3 with a win @ Brooklyn to move to 11-6 overall. I honestly haven't even had the time to sit down and watch one full Chicago game this season (just bits and pieces here and there), but that's a good start all things considered.

Paully D wrote: »
    Bulls end their circus road trip at 4-3 with a win @ Brooklyn to move to 11-6 overall. I honestly haven't even had the time to sit down and watch one full Chicago game this season (just bits and pieces here and there), but that's a good start all things considered.

I'm the same regarding the Pacers. I'd say I've watched two full games. first year out of college so having to get up early for work/tiredness at the weekends has caught up! :p

Nice triple double for the apparent 40th best player in the league. Kobeeeee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Nice triple double for the apparent 40th best player in the league. Kobeeeee!

Only player in NBA history to have 30k points and 6k assists!
    They are a different team when he involves all the team.

I'm really liking the All Star jerseys for this year, really simple/classic look

625x527.jpg?fit=scale&background=000000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭ec18

yeah they're class, at least they aren't sleaved

Lovely. Reminds me of the old 76ers jersey. The white one anyway.

And the reigning MVP is back tonight :)

Time for okc to catch up with there rivals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Very impressed by the Warriors win over Orlando tonight, they played poorly for the most part but still managed to sneak a win over a good looking young Orlando team that are executing well.

Makes up for all those years of watching circus ball most nights.

Celtics blew a 23 point lead last night and couldnt stop the Hawks in the 4th. I don't know what's happening.

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot Hinrich. The Bulls had the Mavs beaten in regulation. Up by 3, with 4 seconds left, Mavs inbounding under their own basket with no timeouts. So they're going to run down and jack up an off balance shot. Monta Ellis takes the inbound, runs down, goes to jack said off-balance shot, and Hinrich wraps him up with both arms like he's trying to do an intentional foul. One of the dumbest fouls I've ever seen.

Ellis sinks all 3 free throws and the Mavs win after double overtime. So not only did he lose us the game, it ensured they played 58 minutes on the first night of a back-to-back.

The team played well apart from that. Mirotic is flying, exceeding my expectations. 15 points off the bench in 26 minutes last night. Thought he would take a season to get up to speed, but he's adapting very quickly. Will be a significant contributor to the team this season.

You know it's bad when Dirk is calling you out.
    "In my 17 years, it was one of the dumber fouls I've ever seen," Nowitzki said in a matter-of-fact tone. "You wait all the way until he dribbles to the 3-point line to grab him, so that's obviously a tough one, tough play. I saw coach Thibodeau was just shaking his head."

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Celtics blew a 23 point lead last night and couldnt stop the Hawks in the 4th. I don't know what's happening.

celtics are looking like a more subtle philly at the moment playing well for most of the game and then suddenly forgetting how to play basketball.

could work out ideally though this team has some serious young piece if they can resign rondo (and maby green id like to keep him) nab a decent draft pick and grab an okafor/turner/towns/cauley-stein or send philly a few for either embed or noel if they get okafor like they allegedly want then they are in a position where they are in a position where they could be a deep playoff team with lots of draft picks and tons of cap room. (all this is idealistic but theres no point in us making the playoffs this year)

i can't wait for smart to come back personally that small lineup of rondo,bradley,smart,green,sullenger was a lot of fun to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

padraig_f wrote: »
    Thanks a lot Hinrich. The Bulls had the Mavs beaten in regulation. Up by 3, with 4 seconds left, Mavs inbounding under their own basket with no timeouts. So they're going to run down and jack up an off balance shot. Monta Ellis takes the inbound, runs down, goes to jack said off-balance shot, and Hinrich wraps him up with both arms like he's trying to do an intentional foul. One of the dumbest fouls I've ever seen.

Ellis sinks all 3 free throws and the Mavs win after double overtime. So not only did he lose us the game, it ensured they played 58 minutes on the first night of a back-to-back.

The team played well apart from that. Mirotic is flying, exceeding my expectations. 15 points off the bench in 26 minutes last night. Thought he would take a season to get up to speed, but he's adapting very quickly. Will be a significant contributor to the team this season.

That must of been a total brain dart by Hinrich cos he is a pretty smart player, been a big fan of his for years, great player to have on the roster

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Korrayls

must be heartbreaking for celtics fans this. ahead by 11 at one stage in 4th. now its going to OT
    can anyone shed light on whether bulls celtics at td garden on 16th Jan will be a big game regardless of whether celtics look likely for playoffs? is it a big rivalry like celtics - lakers celtics - knicks etc...?

The 76ers broke there loosing streak last night and in the process cost me my accumulator :( bloody typical

Very strong win for the rockets against the Grizzlies and another big play from Ellis for the mavs. Pretty sick buzzer beater

Pretty sick travel by Ellis alright. Hate the NBA for that sort of sh*t. The refs often swallow whistles if a play 'looks' good. It was a clear travel by Monta. Bucks got screwed.

Meanwhile,

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...223911091.html
    Evan Turner claims Kyle Korver 'can't guard to save his life'

Pot, meet kettle.

Korrayls wrote: »
    must be heartbreaking for celtics fans this. ahead by 11 at one stage in 4th. now its going to OT
    can anyone shed light on whether bulls celtics at td garden on 16th Jan will be a big game regardless of whether celtics look likely for playoffs? is it a big rivalry like celtics - lakers celtics - knicks etc...?

Maybe not as bitter a rivalry as Lakers-Celtics, but think there will always be a bit of an edge in a Bulls-Celtics game.

Would help more if the Celtics were more competitive, but they always have a good crowd at the Garden.

Don't think the Celtics are as bad as their current record, and could sneak into an 8th seed. Wouldn't call it a big game but should be competitive. The Celtics have beaten the Bulls already this season, and while the Bulls won the 2nd game, it was close.

Are you thinking of going to the game?

Good effort from the Bulls last night to beat the Hornets. Signs of fatigue after the double-overtime game the night before, and thought it might cost them, but they ground it out.

Thought the Hornets would be better this year, playoff team last year and thought Lance would be a good addition to help their scoring. Was trying to see the problem last night....they look too individualistic, taking turns trying to beat the defense single-handedly. They have some talent so could turn it around, but not playing as a team right now.

Jimmy getting some recognition...

B39_yFnCEAAXZzO.jpg:medium

+ great defense!

2 days off now, before a tough one against the Warriors on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Nice win for philly it had to happen sometime

Advertisement