Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Comments

egf6un6.jpg
    R3BCY0T.jpg
    vatuYdP.jpg
    39Ra4TT.jpg
    KcPKSQ5.jpg
    eJcuWum.jpg
    wpiPd2N.jpg
    aiSdUIO.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

^^^
    Some might not be aware of what that is about. It's the 25th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin wall. Lights have been placed along the path where the wall stood.

Related pic below shows Berlin with the different coloured street lights clearly showing old boundaries.
    kMyWdHc.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some of the hundreds of girls kidnapped by Boko Haram, now probably sold into marriages or killed.

boko-haram-nigeria-girls-story_650_052214072540.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

The adventure began March 2004, when a European Ariane 5 rocket lifted off from Kourou in French Guiana.

During a circuitous ten-year trek across the Solar System, Rosetta will cross the asteroid belt and travel into deep space, more than five times Earth’s distance from the Sun. Its destination will be a periodic comet known as Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko.

The Rosetta orbiter will rendezvous with Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko and remain in close proximity to the icy nucleus as it plunges towards the warmer inner reaches of the Sun’s domain. At the same time, a small lander will be released onto the surface of this mysterious cosmic iceberg.

More than a year will pass before the remarkable mission draws to a close in December 2015. By then, both the spacecraft and the comet will have circled the Sun and be on their way out of the inner Solar System.

ROLIS_descent_image_node_full_image_2.png
    The image shows comet 67P/CG acquired by the ROLIS instrument on the Philae lander during descent on Nov 12, 2014 14:38:41 UT from a distance of approximately 3 km from the surface. The landing site is imaged with a resolution of about 3m per pixel.

NAVCAM_top_10_at_10_km_8_node_full_image_2.jpg

Rosetta_mission_selfie_at_16_km_node_full_image_2.png
    Using the CIVA camera on Rosetta’s Philae lander, the spacecraft have snapped a ‘selfie’ at comet 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko from a distance of about 16 km from the surface of the comet. The image was taken on 7 October and captures the side of the Rosetta spacecraft and one of Rosetta’s 14 m-long solar wings, with the comet in the background.

Two images with different exposure times were combined to bring out the faint details in this very high contrast situation. The comet's active ‘neck’ region is clearly visible, with streams of dust and gas extending away from the surface.

Comet_over_Darmstadt_node_full_image_2.jpg

Source: European Space Agency

More Images.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭cml387

40 Years ago today two bombs exploded in pubs in central Birmingham.
    Although initially denied, the provisional IRA later claimed responsibility.
    21 people were killed.
    http://i4.birminghammail.co.uk/incoming/article204071.ece/alternates/s1227b/image-1-for-birmingham-pub-bombings-gallery-887033595.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

http://www.iflscience.com/space/how-big-our-place-universe

A video of photos so technically counts. Looking at how insignificant we are here on earth in relation to the rest of the universe/solar system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

Peshawar schoolboys recreate photo without their friends.
    Bqv3v9O.jpg
    2014 Peshawar school massacre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Not sure if some of these posted in here or not.
    For me these are ones that really shocked at the time and helped influence public opinion.

1338050923_vietnam_photo_by_eddie_adams_430.jpg?itok=oGc-PsDn

ut-vietnam-girl.jpg

bilde?Site=M6&Date=20141110&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=311100015&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Last-MSG-stand-post-Saigon-goes-back-first-ball-since

Holocaust
    prisoners+at+Ebensee+Austria+concentration+camp.gif

Bergen Belsen
    Bergen_Belsen_Liberation_03.jpg

77021.jpg

We haven't learned that much ...

Bosnia

SNN0532GB--620e_1560585a.jpg

The Killing Fields of Cambodia...
    DSC00094c.JPG

Rwanda - apologies for size ...
    REU-RWANDA-GENOCIDE-1.jpg

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

1-fikret-alic.jpg?resize=600%2C348

Fikret Alić
    Fikret Alić is a Bosniak survivor of the 1992 Keraterm and Trnopolje concentration camps near the city of Prijedor in northwest Bosnia and Herzegovina. The journalist Ed Vulliamy, whose reporting of Trnopolje and another concentration camp at Omarska helped draw public attention to the atrocities being perpetrated in the Prijedor camp system, described Alić as being "probably the most familiar figure in the world" in the summer of 1992, when the image of his emaciated frame, seen behind barbed wire at the Trnopolje concentration camp, was seen around the world as emblematic of the violence being inflicted on non-Serb civilians by Bosnian Serbs under the leadership of Radovan Karadžić during the Bosnian War.[1]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭sblythe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

The largest bomb ever detonated - the Tsar bomb, 1961:

Tsar01.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar_Bomba

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMYYEsKvHvk

"The Tsar Bomba......had about 1,350–1,570 times the combined power of the bombs that destroyed Hiroshima and Nagasaki,[6] 10 times the combined power of all the conventional explosives used in World War II"

Tsar_photo11.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

^^^^

You'd have to wonder who ever thought a bomb like that could be of genuine use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

^^^^

That bomb was the greatest invention by the Russians, I mean think about it, they showed offtheir big bomb making ccapabilities and every other nation since then have said "eh, hang an a second, they might have more! I'll rethink starting a war with them for now!"

If every nuclear power in the world showed off their tsar bomba there'd prob be less wars now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

^^

“The nuclear arms race is like two sworn enemies standing waist deep in gasoline, one with three matches, the other with five.” - Sagan

In some ways bad, in some ways good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

^^^^

Not much. Most of the extra explosive energy over and above your garden variety large 20 megaton bomb actually escapes the atmosphere into space rather than increasing devastation on the ground.

Great believer in the MAD (Mutually assured destruction) principle myself tbh. Smaller local wars will never again turn into global conflicts like the World Wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Calibos wrote: »
    Not much. Most of the extra explosive energy over and above your garden variety large 20 megaton bomb actually escapes the atmosphere into space rather than increasing devastation on the ground.

Great believer in the MAD (Mutually assured destruction) principle myself tbh. Smaller local wars will never again turn into global conflicts like the World Wars.

There is always that risk though that the wrong person may get his hands on something like that. If the technology had been available to him what would have stopped Hitler from dropping a few of them on Britain, Russia and the US before turning to the rest of the world and saying 'fall in line or there's more for yourselves'. Hitler may not even be the best example because as you say, the idea of MAD probably would have prevented him from doing that, but there could be an insane dictator one day who will simply not care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

^^^^

you'd have to wonder who ever thought of testing 2,000+ of them

shook the world just a little bit, 2000 nuclear tests in 4mins :

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭_Jumper_

gctest50 wrote: »
    you'd have to wonder who ever thought of testing 2,000+ of them

shook the world just a little bit, 2000 nuclear tests in 4mins :

Some of them were done on low lying islands and had a bit of concrete poured over to seal in the waste now rising sea levels are threatening to wash all out to Sea.

US can't be arsed to do anything about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

sup_dude wrote: »

That's absolutely heartbreaking. I actually couldn't look at it for more than a few seconds :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

2810F2F000000578-3057819-Open_casket_A_tearful_friend_goes_to_put_her_hand_on_the_head_of-a-104_1430166450836.jpg
    Open casket; A tearful friend goes to put her hand on the head of Freddie Gray inside his coffin as she filed past to pay her last respects to the 25-year-old
    Violent clashes between Baltimore police and protestors turn city into 'absolute war zone' burning cop cars and looting stores after thousands mourn Freddie Gray in open casket funeral 27.04.2015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Great post on Imgur today:

http://imgur.com/a/KGUEn?gallery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

colmulhall wrote: »
    Great post on Imgur today:

http://imgur.com/a/KGUEn?gallery

I'm not sure if chat is allowed on this thread but I'll ask anyway. Does anyone know the story behind The Priest and the Dying Soldier 1962?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

GerB40 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if chat is allowed on this thread but I'll ask anyway. Does anyone know the story behind The Priest and the Dying Soldier 1962?
    http://rarehistoricalphotos.com/priest-dying-soldier-1962/
    Navy chaplain Luis Padillo gives last rites to a soldier wounded by sniper fire during a revolt in Venezuela. Braving the streets amid sniper fire, to offer last rites to the dying, the priest encountered a wounded soldier, who pulled himself up by clinging to the priest’s cassock, as bullets chewed up the concrete around them. The photographer Hector Rondón Lovera, who had to lie flat to avoid getting shot, later said that he was unsure how he managed to take this picture. The Catholic priest, Luis Padillo, would walk the streets, even through sniper fire, offering last rites to the fighters. Besides priest’s bravery, he also knows the enemy will think a lot before shooting him (just imagine the propaganda) and the enemy soldiers are catholic and would refuse that order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

This photo seems to have disappeared. Is there another place to view it?
    sup_dude wrote: »

Posted this over in After Hours, but seemed suitable here -

The crater left by the recent explosion in China.

qc7FPxa.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

quite literally shook the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

UNILAD-tianjin-24.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

^^^
    Apart from this actually shaking the world, it's not really interesting...it's the 5th such explosion since April because it's a shocking rotten corrupt country, lads in power don't care as long as they're getting their cut and not living beside it. The Company responsible had no licence to hold the 100s of tonnes of chemicals it had in it's warehouse, they practically joked about safety drills on their now taken down website. Such a Warehouse isin't even allowed in a public area and theirs a big Apartment complex over the road.

Best part is state media, usually they won't report these things but this explosion was so big, they've come out and said their won't be a cover up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Warning: Graphic content.

This article about the fate of the Jews in the Ukraine, along with the accompanying photographs is heartbreaking. Man's inhumanity to man.

Ukraine's killing centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭cml387

There are no words

Mod note: 3 year old refugee boy washed up on shore.

MAY CAUSE DISTRESS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭laros

There are no words
    There have been other photos in a similar vein going around for the past week or so.... Is this what we have come to... ???

• Advertisement

I'm not going to click on the link because I saw the pics on the news earlier and it hit me like a tonne of bricks. Really really upset me. It's just so tragic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

cml387 wrote: »
    There are no words

You know when you look through this thread and see those striking photos from history and think to yourself, what would that have been like to be alive and witness that, it's uncomprehendable.
    This photo is the one for us, that our children will look back on in wonder at our world, and we'll always remember how we felt when we saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I'm not going to click on the link because I saw the pics on the news earlier and it hit me like a tonne of bricks. Really really upset me. It's just so tragic.

Likewise, saw it yesterday evening and hard a hard time composing myself. I have 2 young kids and this poor little guy is only a little bit younger than my daughter. Utterly heartbreaking. How awful must the situation be on land if you feel safer risking your life on water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Same here. I have a young daughter the same age and I couldn't sleep last night thinking about that image-the poor wee boy just lying face down like that.
    He is so happy in the other pictures released of him. I'm glad we know his name, Aylan Kurdi rest in peace.

I'm been welling up at work all day and feeling so helpless. Horribly there will be more like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

That picture of the little guy face down in the water will go down in history alongside the picture of the starving child in Ethiopia with the vulchar just waiting, as two of the most harrowing images of modern times.

There is more photos of kids washed up that I was going to post, but I am uncomfortable in doing so...
    Its a mixture of respect (would the families be upset?) and the thought of those little guys lifeless bodies up on the Internet for decades - weird I know but that feeling came from nowhere - I am still trying to work it out myself.

(p.s) sorry about the chat on a photo thread.

• Advertisement

keano_afc wrote: »
    Likewise, saw it yesterday evening and hard a hard time composing myself. I have 2 young kids and this poor little guy is only a little bit younger than my daughter. Utterly heartbreaking. How awful must the situation be on land if you feel safer risking your life on water.

That's the reason why I was so upset. I have a son who's pretty much the same age. I know that shouldn't make the images anymore harrowing but it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

BaZmO* wrote: »
    That's the reason why I was so upset. I have a son who's pretty much the same age. I know that shouldn't make the images anymore harrowing but it does.

When we look at photographs we often make emotional connection with the subject, when we do we draw on our own personal experiences to make that connection. The closer the connection the more profound the emotional impact can be, the image of the poor child (Rest in peace little one :( ) will have an emotional impact on everybody but as the parent of a child of similar age you may draw on your own emotions about your own child when looking at the image. While personal experiences do not change the harrowing image in front of you, it does alter how deeply it affects individual person looking at it.

A very simplified example of this is when you buy a picture frame for a portrait, more than likely there will be some form of picture in the frame as marketing material, when you go home you will probably take out the image and throw it in the bin and put in your photo without a second thought, but to somebody else that picture is of their mother, father, son, daughter ect.. to them the exact same image has considerably more meaning.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What killed me was knowing that the little fellas mammy put those little sockies and boots on him that morning and gave him a hug not knowing what the day had in store for him, and them of course. May they RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

kceire wrote: »
    What killed me was knowing that the little fellas mammy put those little sockies and boots on him that morning and gave him a hug not knowing what the day had in store for him, and them of course. May they RIP.

This I think. We have a son around the same age. Its the familiarity of the clothes - little red T-shirt, shorts and boots - that makes it so personal for many people. Its an image that I won't forget so easily I think. I really wanted to get home to see my son this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Ok that just made it hit home a little bit harder :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

This I think. We have a son around the same age. Its the familiarity of the clothes - little red T-shirt, shorts and boots - that makes it so personal for many people. Its an image that I won't forget so easily I think. I really wanted to get home to see my son this evening.

Same here. Just packed him off for big school on Tuesday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

This x 1, 000. And the image of him face down, arms to the side-my 3 year old girl sleeps like that sometimes, it's like he's asleep himself.
    I'm just so so sad and upset for him. I really hate the world right now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

what devastated me was how alone he looked and helpless - poor little guy. He had no part in the situation that drove his family to such desparation, he just followed his mother and father. I wander how long he was lying there, what I was doing when he was struggling in the water calling for his mommy, was I watching a show on netflix or maybe eating my dinner? I can't get over this little fella just lying there never to grow up because of the way the world is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Okay folks, I understand it's a touching subject but we need to stop the chat in this thread now.

Many thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Paris isn't the only place with innocent deaths:

10407533_769240466500413_8398184820643971989_n.jpg?oh=773cd69fafc4fea71a00e10a578c1afc&oe=56B82627

11347_769240496500410_1829922814568587725_n.jpg?oh=556da55fa379764b6f3ffde2c1c7a497&oe=56AF762B

I'm going to keep this one as a link, it's (I find) more distressing:
    https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/10460704_769240523167074_5599805147506551931_n.jpg?oh=e594c8de0c5152b1d5682e5355494ee1&oe=56F087BF

• Advertisement
Advertisement