Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vegetarian (etc.) bargains/special offers thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

christ almighty, you are gonna be full of beans!!! :p *jumps around*

I got some too, only the mixed beans and the butter beans though. I aint as rich as you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm verrrry poot, that's why I got them when I could:P

• Registered Users Posts: 44 F4Fake

Holland & Barrett have a special offer on Body Fortress protein at the minute (any flavour). Half-price, so €20 instead of €40. Might be useful for any vegetarians looking to supplement their protein intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Just in case any avid chickpea fans are unaware, Aldi now do a 500g bag of dried chickpeas for 99c. Cheapest you can get them anywhere I'd say. I am pleased :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh deadly! me and soaking are enemies but I shall endeavour

• Advertisement

I find leaving them soaking once I get up and then cooking them in the hours of darkness to be most effective! Leaving them overnight means you'll be stuck in during the day looking after them and chickpeas can take up to 3 hours too :mad:

I cook too many beans.

Never enough! Sure I bought two dozen tines...when our press was already full!

Might have a loook when I am over aldi way tomorrow.

bought lentils tehre that need soaking, DAMMMMMMMMMM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

There are two ways of fast tracking the dried bean thing -

1.wash beans; place in water in saucepan and bring to rapid boil for 10 minutes; take off heat and leave to soak for one hour; put back on heat and bring to boil, then simmer for 1 hour; done

2. Get a pressure cooker!

1.wash beans; place in water in saucepan and bring to rapid boil for 10 minutes; take off heat and leave to soak for one hour; put back on heat and bring to boil, then simmer for 1 hour; done

I came across a method somewhere that said you could bring them to the boil and then soak them for four hours. If I can get away with just one hour this is very good news!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

There are two ways of fast tracking the dried bean thing -
    2. Get a pressure cooker!

'Don't suppose you could point me in the right direction of some good pressure cooker recommendations?

• Advertisement

Dunnes;
    Quorn Pepper Steaks 196g €2.99 €2.22
    Quorn Beef Burger 160g €2.79 €2.09
    Quorn Sausages 250g €2.49 €1.86
    Quorn Lasagne 400g €2.75 €2.06
    Quorn Deli Ham slices 100g €1.84 €1.39 till 2nd Aug

Wholefoods range 3 for 2 on 100g-500g
    Whole Earth Cornflakes €2
    Whole Earth Maple Frosted €3
    2 for €3.50 on St. Dalfour ranges of jam till 27th July

Tesco also have Quorn 4x chicken style burgers €1.99 €1.50 till 27th July

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭europhile

Never enough! Sure I bought two dozen tines...when our press was already full!

Might have a loook when I am over aldi way tomorrow.

bought lentils tehre that need soaking, DAMMMMMMMMMM

There's no need to soak lentils.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Yeah, I was thinking that too. But i wondered if these were some particular variety... Either way, soaking them does no harm and would speed the cooking, but shouldn't be necessary.

europhile wrote: »
    There's no need to soak lentils.

heard that, but unsure why different varieties all ahve different soaking times, from 0 to hours, all on the pack :confused:

Dunnes have reduced their BBQ/picnic Quorn stuff, to the same prices as in July, till the 3rd Oct.

Tescos - Whole Earth Crunchy Original Peanut Butter,454g - discontinued, €1.50 while stocks last
    Quorn family pack of frozen mince, 500g, half price at €1.99
    Buy 2 Alpro soya mils from fridge and get 30c off

Dublin Food Co-op - soya milk back in at €1.29 a L, buy crate of 12 for €14.25
    - pretty sure it's Alpro.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

Dunnes have reduced their BBQ/picnic Quorn stuff, to the same prices as in July, till the 3rd Oct.

Tescos - Whole Earth Crunchy Original Peanut Butter,454g - discontinued, €1.50 while stocks last
    Quorn family pack of frozen mince, 500g, half price at €1.99
    Buy 2 Alpro soya mils from fridge and get 30c off

Dublin Food Co-op - soya milk back in at €1.29 a L, buy crate of 12 for €14.25
    - pretty sure it's Alpro.

Hi Thoushaltnot! .o/ long time no... eh ... read? :)

i got the quorn mince for 1.99, bought two because theres a book you can get with two packs and a couple of euro, its all about quorn cooking, i thought it might be good so gona try get it :)

guess iv to eat the whole two packs first! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Organic Mature Cheddar is €1.65 this week in Lidl (instead of €2.65). It's marked as Suitable for Vegetarians

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20106350.p.Organic_Mature_Cheddar

Superquinn till 5th October
    Quorn 2 for €2 on frozen Bacon Style rashers/Quarter Pounders/Garlic & Herb filets/Cumberland sausages/Southern Style Burgers
    Alpro soya milk 1L (regular/light in fridge) 2 for €3
    Banalun organic sauces/pastas/spaghetti - 2 for €2.50

Also, they have 1L tubs of Organic ice cream for €4.99 - either Superqueen own brand or Mackers brand
    and some cheese deals - Dubliner and Wexford brands, iirc. (forgot to check whether suitable for veg*ns, d'oh)

Temple Bar Weekend market (beside IFI)
    Llewellens cider 6.50 each or 3 gor €18
    Llewellens apple juice - bag of 3 (! tangy, 1 sweet, 1medium) - €10

Maameeo, Yo \o/

Life's a bit crazy. Hope you're doin' A OK, babe! Talk soon - maybe even this year! :pac: :pac: :pac:

Aldi have 55c cans of chickpeas, yay! Don't know if they've had them for long but I only just noticed.

I feel like I post a lot about beans in this thread.

More good Aldi stuff next Thursday, well, if you like baking :P Maple syrup for €3.99! Tis usually about €6 or €7... Some cool looking cake tins too and their cocoa powder is back again which I've missed these past few months. They stopped stocking it and it's the cheapest you can get anywhere (€1.59).

It's all here just scroll down a bit (unless you're looking to do some welding!)

Edit: They're cake tin liners, damn, not as exciting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

Superquinn till 5th October
    Quorn 2 for €2 on frozen Bacon Style rashers/Quarter Pounders/Garlic & Herb filets/Cumberland sausages/Southern Style Burgers
    Alpro soya milk 1L (regular/light in fridge) 2 for €3
    Banalun organic sauces/pastas/spaghetti - 2 for €2.50

Also, they have 1L tubs of Organic ice cream for €4.99 - either Superqueen own brand or Mackers brand
    and some cheese deals - Dubliner and Wexford brands, iirc. (forgot to check whether suitable for veg*ns, d'oh)

Temple Bar Weekend market (beside IFI)
    Llewellens cider 6.50 each or 3 gor €18
    Llewellens apple juice - bag of 3 (! tangy, 1 sweet, 1medium) - €10

Maameeo, Yo \o/

Life's a bit crazy. Hope you're doin' A OK, babe! Talk soon - maybe even this year! :pac: :pac: :pac:

crazy is good sometimes :) hope all is well hun! we must organise another food outing!
    omg i should get to superquinn, yum!
    Aldi have 55c cans of chickpeas, yay! Don't know if they've had them for long but I only just noticed.

I feel like I post a lot about beans in this thread.

i know, i only discovered that on the weekend too! bought them and mixed beans and kidney beans, amazing price! :D

where are these superquinns? We wanna go :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Kidney Beans 25c a can in Lidl.

Life is too short to soak beans.

beans/chickpeas range 2 for 1 tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Kidney Beans 25c a can in Lidl.

Life is too short to soak beans.

Not when you have to spent time washing the slimy liquidy stuff off the tinned ones, or when the beans are too soft, and then there's the tin to recycle as well:D

Dunnes
    Regular bags of frozen Quorn mince and Quorn pieces, €2 till 19th Oct.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

Tesco have most of their frozen quorn stuff at 3 for 6 euro.

Lets see what I can remember:
    Mince
    Chicken pieces
    Cumberland sausages
    Normal sausages
    Meatless meat balls
    Crispy chicken fillet thingys
    Cheese and brocolli escalopes

There's probably more, it was Wilton Cork I spotted it in and they've a pretty good selection :D

must not spend 1000e on frozen section :pac:

Mary-Ellen wrote: »
    Tesco have most of their frozen quorn stuff at 3 for 6 euro.

Lets see what I can remember:
    Mince
    Chicken pieces
    Cumberland sausages
    Normal sausages
    Meatless meat balls
    Crispy chicken fillet thingys
    Cheese and brocolli escalopes

There's probably more, it was Wilton Cork I spotted it in and they've a pretty good selection :D

LAST DAY OF THIS OFFER IS TODAY!

BTW, Aldi have those veggie Haribo "Funny mix" on special again, on Thursday. Details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

The Tesco offer seems to have been extended (in my Arklow branch at least) but now it's 2 for €4. Well worth it for the bacon style strips alone :)

Advertisement