Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heat causing windows to fog

• 06-02-2015 9:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My 2001 Passat has started to fog up when I turn on the heating. There is definitely something going on and is not your standard run-of-the-mill condensation.

My coolant has been dropping slowly over the past year (refill every 3-4 months) but the fogging up has only started in the last 2 weeks. I can't say I smell antifreeze when driving.

Could it be my pollen filter or perhaps the dreaded heater core?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I'd bet on heater core.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

Ok I'm a motor noob so excuse the potentially obvious questions

Considering it requires a dash removal (which isn't gonna happen)

1)Other than keeping an eye on the coolant should it be ok to keep driving
    2)Heat is optional to me :) - I presume if I keep the heating off then the car shouldn't/wont fog up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,406 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

When are they fogging up? Is it first thing in the morning when heat turned on? If you were out middle of the day, no rain and then turned on heat would they fog up? Do you have air con in the car and do you use it? When was pollen filter last changed?

When are they fogging up?
    Is it first thing in the morning when heat turned on? If you were out middle of the day, no rain and then turned on heat would they fog up? [/QUOTE]
    Fog up the whole time - any time of day. Any time I put on heating. When the car isn't being used the windows don't fog up. As soon as I turn on heat - instant fogging up.
    Do you have air con in the car and do you use it?
    Don't have air con
    When was pollen filter last changed?
    I've never changed the pollen filter and unsure it it has ever been done

I've cleaned the pollen filter and it seems to have cleared the problem :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

using air con can help a lot as air con systems have a dryer which removes moisture especially in winter. not a fix but works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

PeteFalk78 wrote: »
    I've cleaned the pollen filter and it seems to have cleared the problem :D

Replace the filter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

As above, replace the filter cost less than €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GalwayRonan

Do you have a leak in your car...this can cause car windows to get fogged up...

Hi Ronan,

I bought a new pollen filter and it has cleared the problem. I was worried that it was a leak in the heater core because it didn't gradually get worse. Luckily it wasnt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 harper61

My 2004 Passat has a/c, until now condensation was absolutely no problem but recently the windows fog up really badly immediately the heater is turned on. The only way I can drive is to tun heater to coldest setting & use the a/c.

There is no leak, the carpets, incl. boot, are dry & I've changed the pollen filter.

Could there be a leak under the battery tray?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,406 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I presume you are also running fresh air through the car and not recirculated?

I'd start by checking the carpets in the car and the boot to see if there's any dampness. Are you sure the air conditioning is actually working?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

• Have you hot air from the heater?
    • Is there a smell when the heater is on/blowing?
    • Have you, as said above, checked the carpets front and back for dampness/wet, and by check I mean pull them back a little to check under them? (as you could have dry carpets on top, but water/moisture under)
    • The twin rubber pipes from the engine to through the firewall should both be hot, when at running temp.
    • Any loss of coolant, no matter how little?

Any of the above could signal a heater core issue. Failing any of the above issues it could be a number of other things.

• As said above check the recirc air settings.
    • Check door seals and sunroof, if you have one, for block drains.
    • Check the antenna base for damage/perishing.
    • AC drain is blocked.
    • Foam gasket around the pollen filter "housing"
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement