Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Navy ... any info

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Starting to get a little impatient myself now! :(

Anyone have any other news since?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MRLAZY

I am myself. Nope didnt hear anything. It cant be much longer. It has to be next week

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭mcko

Because they have none.

MRLAZY wrote: »
    I am myself. Nope didnt hear anything. It cant be much longer. It has to be next week

Has anyone figured out how many were called for interviews? Also, I wonder if there was many from last year like yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭rockagusroll

We were told that 100 were called altogether so maybe 60 that already had the interviews done and then the remainder that still had to do them, complete guesswork though. I reckon they must nearly have the 40 names ready, just waiting on a couple bloods and Garda clearance. Has to be this week!

• Advertisement

Wonder how many of that 100 failed the medical then... :/

They seemed fairly strict on it so maybe about 40ish? Hard to tell.. You lads keeping up the training while we'r waiting?

Yeah, I have been anyway... Running 10km every second day, averaging around 51 mins. I think my interview could'a went better though...

Ah you probably did grand, I thought the same but I think most people do after interviews.
    That's good going on the 10k time ;) Been doing 3-4 runs a week between 4k and 8k myself, might push it up to 10 next week and see how I get on!

Yeah, I've been really pushing myself with the 10km! Well the decision has more than likely been made now and the 40 names picked.... :eek:

Heres my latest run... http://connect.garmin.com/activity/78461392

• Advertisement

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    Yeah, I've been really pushing myself with the 10km! Well the decision has more than likely been made now and the 40 names picked.... :eek:

Heres my latest run... http://connect.garmin.com/activity/78461392

Link won't open, it says something about not having privileges to view the activities? Yea they must have the names now, emails soon.. :eek:

Link won't open, it says something about not having privileges to view the activities? Yea they must have the names now, emails soon.. :eek:

Should open now, had it set to private!

Still won't open :confused: got an 8k done in 40mins this morning :)
    No emails yet anyway, I'm guessing wendsday!

Hmmm, thats weird... Its a 12Km run I got in just over an hour, longest distance I've done to date, was wrecked from it though!

8km in 40 mins is fast, fair play! You must be really light?

Yeah sometime mid week seems likely!

About 80kg, light enough for my height though (6'2) gonna give 10k a shot tomorrow or wensday!
    You see the new military.ie site? Much better, gives alot more info on the naval service and the breakdown of recruit training etc!

Yeah its much better than the previous website. Plenty of information on it, it was long overdue.

Some of the info on the last site was outdated though, it said recruit training for the Navy was 16 weeks if I remember, but on the new one it says 19/20?

Where abouts are you from yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MRLAZY

I thought the recruit training was 16 weeks?? Do ye lads know much about recruit training like whats the day to day, hours, type of training etc...??

It's all on the website, were you not asked any of that in the interview?

http://www.military.ie/careers/naval-service/recruits/training

Yea it says 17 weeks in the title but just below it says 20 weeks, maybe the 2 weeks include time off or something.. MRLAZY, that link gives a fair bit of info on the types of things training involves too. As for the hours, it'll probably be 5/6 am starts most mornings with long days and ironing, admin and the likes in the evenings
    Where abouts are you from yourself?
    I'm from Kildare myself, just outside Naas, what about yourself?

I know a fair bit about the military side of it, like foot and weapon drills etc, cause the brother is an NCO, but the naval subjects would be all new to me though!

I'm from Kilkenny myself, you have a fair drive down!

• Advertisement

Yea i done a military preparation course myself for 10 days and got to know some of the basic foot drills and weapons drills and that sort of stuff but like yourself the naval side will be new, sounds really interesting though!

Takes me just over 2 hours to get down, that new motorway is great though, take a lot longer otherwise.. Probably look at moving down if i got in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Yea i done a military preparation course myself for 10 days and got to know some of the basic foot drills and weapons drills and that sort of stuff but like yourself the naval side will be new, sounds really interesting though!

Takes me just over 2 hours to get down, that new motorway is great though, take a lot longer otherwise.. Probably look at moving down if i got in!

There is such a course?

There is such a course?

Well before the navy got back to me, I was close to joining the british army and they sent me on it up north.. Gave a good insight into what's expected in basic training with them.

Well before the navy got back to me, I was close to joining the british army and they sent me on it up north.. Gave a good insight into what's expected in basic training with them.

Its funny you mention that, before I applied for the Navy last year I went to Enniskillen to do the BARB test, had the forms filled out and was not far from heading over for the ADSC.

The Navy started advertising in the mean time, so I decided to go for that instead and do a course while I'm waiting as I knew it'd be a long drawn out process... The course is finished up on friday, hopefully I'll have something to look forward to. Its a military career I want.

Its funny you mention that, before I applied for the Navy last year I went to Enniskillen to do the BARB test, had the forms filled out and was not far from heading over for the ADSC.

The Navy started advertising in the mean time, so I decided to go for that instead and do a course while I'm waiting as I knew it'd be a long drawn out process... The course is finished up on friday, hopefully I'll have something to look forward to. Its a military career I want.

Ha that's mad man, I done mine through Portadown.. Same as you, I'm set on a military career! What course you doing?
    Hopefully tomorrow will bring the good news!!

Ha that's mad man, I done mine through Portadown.. Same as you, I'm set on a military career! What course you doing?
    Hopefully tomorrow will bring the good news!!

It's just a one year, FETAC Level 5 in sport and recreation, keeping me busy though. Actually, one of first questions in the interview was "what are you doing with yourself?" so I was kinda lucky I'm doing something!

Its funny you mention that, before I applied for the Navy last year I went to Enniskillen to do the BARB test, had the forms filled out and was not far from heading over for the ADSC..

Uh Oh. You know we do foot and arms drill completely different to them over there? You'll have to unlearn.,
    That said, if it teaches a guy how to iron his kit and tie his shoelaces and stand like a member of the military I'm all for it.

Sounds like a good course, should stand well to ya!
    Yea there was a few ex Irish army on the course who said the same thing! Are the commands in Irish or English? I done some foot drill with the AFS a while back and they were called in Irish!

Yea there was a few ex Irish army on the course who said the same thing! Are the commands in Irish or English? I done some foot drill with the AFS a while back and they were called in Irish!

All orders for foot and arms drill in the Irish DF are given through Irish.(or a bastardised version of it anyway).

• Advertisement

Everything's in Irish!
    Uh Oh. You know we do foot and arms drill completely different to them over there? You'll have to unlearn.,
    That said, if it teaches a guy how to iron his kit and tie his shoelaces and stand like a member of the military I'm all for it.

True, but its the irish one I'd know more about! You seem to know a fair bit about about the Navy, I'm guessing you are/or did serve at some stage? Either that or its a strong interest?

Advertisement