Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV Licence - ALL TV licence discussion/queries in this thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

I just received a court summons for the 11th April.
    I know it's cliched, but I was given warnings, but just forgot about it in the last eight months since I got final warning..I live in a sharehouse and people have been going.
    Ironically the foreign girl who had a TV for chromecast when the license man called moved out a few weeks after we got the summons.. I never replaced the TV and just watch netflix on my ipad! Don't have sky/UPC etc, just internet subscription.
    I'm also moving out of the house I got the summons to at the end of the month and moving to Cork.. so will have to come to Dublin I guess for the day and take a day's annual leave.

I know at the end of the day, it is my fault and I should have had a license.
    How and ever... I'm wondering what I should do.

Should I take out a TV license for this address, even though I'm moving out at the end of the month?

Is it possible to back date tv license once a summons has been sent?

I am mortified and feel sick at the thought of having to go to court and miss a day's work.. don't know what excuse I will have to give my boss!

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭suave.4u

Hi Guys,

I took a TV license last year after an inspector landed at our house and it expired in Feb. I got a letter to renew, which I did not do.

I keep getting letters and finally I got a statutory declaration form to fill.

My question is how long can I postpone paying this crap charge. I know eventually the inspector will land again and I have to pay, but I want to pay as late as possible.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Sorry we cannot give advice on breaking the law here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

suave.4u wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I took a TV license last year after an inspector landed at our house and it expired in Feb. I got a letter to renew, which I did not do.

I keep getting letters and finally I got a statutory declaration form to fill.

My question is how long can I postpone paying this crap charge. I know eventually the inspector will land again and I have to pay, but I want to pay as late as possible.

Your licence will be back dated so I don't see the point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Don't see why not ...
    it expired in Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭suave.4u

Don't see why not ...

I am thinking of taking it this time in my wife's name.After all gender equality matters!!!

Guys I'll have to close the thread if this conversation continues. Sauve.4u take a warning for continuing the conversation having been warned. A 48 hour ban is next.

This thread is for TV licence queries. However we cannot continue a discussion when the OP declares up front their intention not to pay and seeks advice on evasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭ps200306

suave.4u wrote: »
    I am thinking of taking it this time in my wife's name.After all gender equality matters!!!
    How about pay your taxes like the rest of us, there's a good chap. Never ceases to amaze me how we moan about taxes in this country and then tolerate people like you actually bragging about how they plan to break the law.

EDIT: I see the mods are on it. Good!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 abberr

Inspector called in today and I said straight away I do have TV. I thought it was post man and as I find it difficult to lie I just said I have one. He took my name and said I will get a letter to pay in 5 days and I have to pay.

I went online and paid now. Will I be fined for not having a license or will this letter just tell me if I don't pay soon I will be fined? Last thing I want is go to court

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 nynik

Hi, I don't have a tv but do have a virgin media box. I just had a note dropped in by an inspector (I guess) and am looking for some information only.

Questions:

1. The language of the act (to me) seems rather confusing with respect to needing a licence given I have a Virgin Media box. I think if I were to connect a tv to it then it would work, but I don't have a tv. Does this fall into licence territory or is it completely out of scope given the proposed changes have been shelved?

2. I presume they don't conduct inspections on saturdays? I work weekdays and often into the evenings, so I'd rather have an opportunity to arrange a time vs. continually missing them (if that transpires) - has anyone had any experience with this side of things?

Thanks

p.s. the note indicated that their 'inspection' saw signs of an aerial, which is strange, because there is no aerial. =S

nynik wrote: »
    p.s. the note indicated that their 'inspection' saw signs of an aerial, which is strange, because there is no aerial. =S

Inspector was telling porkies then! Surprised?

Rather than get into anything else, you need to decide if you can, with any combination of equipment in the home, receive broadcast signals.
    You might for instance use a USB dongle to receive Saorview, and display the programmes on a laptop.
    If so you need a licence.

Do you have a tuner in any device?

Do you have a tuner in any device?

I've had a chance to look through a few pages of this thread since posting, so, I don't think so. Certainly don't use any devices like that. No aerials, no satellites, no computer monitors with any built in doo-hickeys. Simply the virgin media box which may have a subscription for broadband, phone and tv (I'm not the account holder and as before, don't have a tv to check).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭Delta2113

If you have any type of a virgin media STB (set top box) then yes a tv licence is required as it's equipment capable of receiving a television signal.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    If you have any type of a virgin media STB (set top box) then yes a tv licence is required as it's equipment capable of receiving a television signal.

They have a tuner built in capable of receiving a broadcast signal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭Delta2113

They have a tuner built in capable of receiving a broadcast signal?

- Exactly -even if you have a broken tv or no tv -once you have the equipment capable of receiving a signal the tv licence requirement kick's in.

Virgin Media still supply a router-only box for internet only, but I don't think that's the one being asked about.

The usual Virgin Media box (current one is Horizon) can decode cable TV. Under the legislation, cable TV counts as broadcast TV. Therefore you have a device that can receive cable TV. Ergo, you need a license. Doesn't matter if you have no TV.

Delta2113 wrote: »

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deathtocaptcha

Hi folks, just in the process of moving in to a new place. No TV in it and I don't actually watch TV anyway even though I have one currently, so I'm thinking of just not taking it with me to new place.

As far as I can remember, the new place doesn't have an aerial or dish but has UPC wall socket like this:

eARlDRV.jpg

Do I need a TV licence if I don't have a TV in the house or any device with a TV tuner but I just have this box? I'll also be getting virgin media fibre broadband but I think that'll just be their 3.0 hub?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Meanwhile over in the UK - may set a precedent for here

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/bbc-iplayer-and-the-tv-licence
    The law changed on 1 September 2016.

You must be covered by a TV Licence to download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand. This applies to any device and provider you use.

Don’t forget, you still need a TV Licence to watch or record programmes on any channel as they are being shown on TV or live on an online TV service.

Do I need a licence for everything on BBC iPlayer?

You need to be covered by a licence to watch or download almost all BBC programmes on iPlayer. At the moment, there are just a few exceptions – watching S4C TV on demand, listening to radio, and watching films or TV shows you’ve bought on the BBC Store. There may be other exceptions in the future.

Does the law apply to all devices and providers?

Yes, it applies to any device and provider you use, including:

TV sets (including smart TVs)
    DVD, Blu-ray and VHS recorders
    Laptops and desktop computers
    Tablets, mobile phones and other portable devices
    Digital boxes or PVRs (such as Sky, Virgin Media or BT TV)
    Games consoles
    Media streaming devices (such as Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku and Now TV)
    Freeview, Freesat or YouView

Am I covered to use BBC iPlayer when I’m on the go or abroad?

If you already have a TV Licence for your address, you are already covered to download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer when you’re on the go, provided the device you’re using isn’t plugged into the electricity mains at a separate address. If the device is plugged in at a separate address, you need to be covered by a licence at that address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

nope after 100 days one of the ministers achievements has been: -
    Minister Denis Naughten took the decision not to proceed with the 'broadcasting charge'.

He made a decision to do nothing. Even if you disagree with the Licence Fee you have to admit doing nothing is not significant.

the rest of his 100 days as Minister for DeCAE (pronounced Decay), at least Rabbitte didn't talk about his lack of decision making!

http://www.dccae.gov.ie/news-and-media/en-ie/Pages/PressRelease/Minister%20for%20Communications,%20Climate%20Action%20and%20Environment%20Denis%20Naughten%20TD%20100%20Days%20Significant%20Achievements.aspx

It's actually quite a dangerous step they've taken, as for the first time it links the licence fee directly with watching the BBC in particular, as opposed to TV in general. Down that path a subscription BBC lies.

Not sure if this is the right place for this, please feel free to move or split if not.

I'll be moving in the next few weeks. But I'm moving from my own apartment to an owner-occupied house share. Is there a way that I can cancel my own licence? I don't know if the new house has a licence or not but they do have a TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Stasi 2.0

You can transfer the licence to your new address but if there already is one there is no way (In Ireland) of cancelling in order to get a refund of unused months.

Its a massive rip off in this* regard. One can only take out a licence for a year and if they move/die/emigrate/get rid of the TV in that time then its tough $h1t buddy !

*and other

• Registered Users Posts: 4 eillib

I have no television or subscription to tv services via laptop or any other means. There is a sky dish at the rear of the house ( wire coming out of it into the house) and the inspector saw it and marked it on the piece of paper left in the letter box. Do I need a licence? if I do I will just take away the dish. Can I easily take the dish down and put it up in a next door neighbour's house if they want it ? Thanks

ALL TV Licencing discussion in the sticky

eillib wrote: »
    Can I easily take the dish down and put it up in a next door neighbour's house if they want it ? s

Is it your property or a landlords ?

You shouldnt need a licence but some inspectors will try and argue otherwise.

eillib wrote: »
    I have no television or subscription to tv services via laptop or any other means. There is a sky dish at the rear of the house ( wire coming out of it into the house) and the inspector saw it and marked it on the piece of paper left in the letter box. Do I need a licence? if I do I will just take away the dish. Can I easily take the dish down and put it up in a next door neighbour's house if they want it ? Thanks

You do not need to disturb the dish.
    If you have no combination of equipment capable of receiving and displaying broadcast TV then you do not need a licence.

If you receive any communication about the licence be sure to respond to it, telling them you have no TV on the premises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Right got a letter today saying that if i dont pay for the licence a summons will be issued Wed.

Im currently renting and the owner occupier of the gaff gave my name when the inspector called he said he didnt have a TV which he doesnt

I have one in my bedroom thats the only one in the gaff.

Few questions:

- Should we contact them saying we dont have a TV hence no licence needed saying we just have laptops
    - I could contact them and say i dont live there anymore saying i was calling round to pick, i could say i moved back home, what proof would they need - i have bank statements and all that, give the landlords name let him deal with them
    - have they equipment to use outside the house to detect a TV?
    -Who is responsible - the home owner i presume?

Help needed please, whats the best option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Warper wrote:

Pay the licence.

No
    Who is responsible - the home owner i presume?n

The person in posession of the equipment (you)
    Boards.ie does not allow users to advise others how to break the law (unfortunately)

Warper wrote: »
    I have one in my bedroom thats the only one in the gaff...

- Should we contact them saying we dont have a TV hence no licence needed

That'd be a big fat lie then? Have you any shame? How about stop breaking the law, stop thieving off the rest of us, and for god's sake stop asking us to help you figure out how to get away it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Warper wrote: »
    Right got a letter today saying that if i dont pay for the licence a summons will be issued Wed.

Im currently renting and the owner occupier of the gaff gave my name when the inspector called he said he didnt have a TV which he doesnt

Few questions:

- Should we contact them saying we dont have a TV hence no licence needed saying we just have laptops
    - I could contact them and say i dont live there anymore saying i was calling round to pick, i could say i moved back home, what proof would they need - i have bank statements and all that, give the landlords name let him deal with them
    -Who is responsible - the home owner i presume?

The owner gave your name and I assume stated you have a tv? Get a licence asap. It's that or court. You will be held responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭MurDawg

Hi,

Bit of a dilemma recently with the TV licence. So my girlfriend answered the door to them back in January. We didnt have a TV licence (we liven in a house with 2 other people at the time, 1 of which had a TV)

A letter was sent to her saying pay the licence but she moved out of the country soon after so didnt think much on it. I now have received a court summons in her name. Rang up and they said we have to back pay the licence since the time of the visit (130 quid) Which I am fine with. But he also said we need to pay for a fresh tv licence subscription? She's moving back next month and we dont even have a tv or live in that residence anymore.

No problem paying the 130, but paying for a fresh tv licence for the year seam preposterous?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,536 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's the deal they make to avoid court - where you'll be at the very least ordered to do the same, if not fined.

L1011 wrote: »
    That's the deal they make to avoid court - where you'll be at the very least ordered to do the same, if not fined.

Why would someone without a tv that isn't even in the country have to pay for a tv license?

Why would someone without a tv that isn't even in the country have to pay for a tv license?

As you know many people have found a work around involving a cunning plan to deceive the authorities, this involves transmitting their live TV from their Parents home over the internet via Skype, its a simple but effective way of watching your favorite Irish TV shows at a time that problem doesn't suit your or your parents.

Elmo wrote: »
    As you know many people have found a work around involving a cunning plan to deceive the authorities, this involves transmitting their live TV from their Parents home over the internet via Skype, its a simple but effective way of watching your favorite Irish TV shows at a time that problem doesn't suit your or your parents.

:D:D That's a new one on me! :D:D

People actually do this? :D

:D:D That's a new one on me! :D:D

People actually do this? :D

Yeah you just have to remember to bring the remote with you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,536 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Because she gave her details to an inspector at an unlicenced property that had a TV. Mistake, but not correctable now.

L1011 wrote: »
    Because she gave her details to an inspector at an unlicenced property that had a TV. Mistake, but not correctable now.

Would that mean she is liable to pay a license? Given that she didn't have a TV and i assume didn't state she did and further can show she wasn't even in the country.

She is not there now, but we are moving into a new place in November back in Ireland. Have sent them an email trying to explain the situation.

Again no problem paying the backdated 130, but the 160 for a new licence on a tv we dont own for the next 12 months seems madness.

My only issue there is they wont let us use the monthly direct debit for the new licence.

And that's after paying the 130. They need us to post them 130 plus evidence of a fully paid licence for the next 12 months for the court summons to be voided. All in her name

A bit of an odd process trying to talk through this with them tbh

Anyone else notice that the new Advert from the department is suggesting you must have a license no matter how you view the TV or from where.

Elmo wrote: »
    Anyone else notice that the new Advert from the department is suggesting you must have a license no matter how you view the TV or from where.

It seems, according to the legislation, that receiving TV via any means might need a licence. See this discussion

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101158932&postcount=53

It seems, according to the legislation, that receiving TV via any means might need a licence. See this discussion

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101158932&postcount=53

I would question if it streaming is a broadcast service, why bring in the broadcast charge if the legislation covers all equipment? Clearly their is no difference to the broadcast charge or the licence fee in its current form.

None of the broadcasters provide a full live service online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I think there is an SI that clarifies the position in relation to streaming and the TV licence, basically it doesn't apply. A laptop/PC with an attached DVB tuner and aerial will require a licence.

• Advertisement
Advertisement