Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EA and Micro-Transactions

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

gizmo wrote: »
    Personally I can't agree with this enough. If people want to see higher quality titles, whether they're at the level of RR3 or simply striving to look better than the average mobile game, but without the micro-transaction nonsense, then they need to be willing to pay for them. That doesn't mean the usual 69p or £1.99 either, we need to see prices which reflect the amount of work that goes into the higher quality ones rather than an automatic assumption that a game should be cheap because it's on a mobile platform. A compromise would be fine too I reckon, a cheap entry point of one of the above prices along with some non-intrusive micro-transactions for people who want to get even more out of the game would, I guess, be the best of both worlds for most folk. Either way though, unless EA see some pretty dismal ARPU numbers come the end of the month, I have a feeling we're not going to see the end of MTs anytime soon.

Different market but:

In chess apps on iOS, you get quite a few of 99c and €1.99 fairly mediocre ones but you also get the €8.99 fully fledged, with all the bells and whistles, ones like Shredder and HIARCS. In Go they went a step further, there's an app called SmartGo Kifu, it's got a fairly large games database, 2,000 tactical problems, an AI to play again (Go AIs are pretty crap compared to chess AIs), some annotated pro games, a joseki tutor and other stuff that'd be normally the kind of thing you'd only expect to see in a desktop app. It's €17.99 and considered a must buy if you play go seriously and have an iPad.

Different market but people *are* willing to shell out money for quality on mobile platforms. I mean I've seen quite a few business apps on iOS that make SmartGo Kifu look cheap.

Advertisement