Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

"The Church has signed a long-term multi-beverage agreement under which C&C Gleeson will supply the business with effectively all of its beverage requirements from beers, ciders, wines, spirits to soft drinks."

Doesn't sound inspiring.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Doesn't sound inspiring.
    Probably means curtains for the O'Hara's taps. It'll be interesting to see if some Five Lamps beers go in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

BeerNut wrote: »
    Probably means curtains for the O'Hara's taps. It'll be interesting to see if some Five Lamps beers go in.

Black Pitts on draught would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Ravelleman wrote: »
    "The Church has signed a long-term multi-beverage agreement under which C&C Gleeson will supply the business with effectively all of its beverage requirements from beers, ciders, wines, spirits to soft drinks."

Doesn't sound inspiring.

This sounds like the "tie" agreements common in the UK, except that here the brewer / pubco doesn't own the freehold.

Interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Geuze wrote: »
    This sounds like the "tie" agreements common in the UK, except that here the brewer / pubco doesn't own the freehold.

Interesting.
    Very.

do C+C distribute Guinness as part of their range? Or has anyone a list maybe of what they do offer to pubs?

If they dont and this is the beginning of a swathe of Guinness free pubs (after Weatherspoons parallel efforts) then its new interesting times for Irish pubs.

Very.

do C+C distribute Guinness as part of their range? Or has anyone a list maybe of what they do offer to pubs?

If they dont and this is the beginning of a swathe of Guinness free pubs (after Weatherspoons parallel efforts) then its new interesting times for Irish pubs.

C&C own Gleeson Group, who are their distribution company in the south. Aside from C&C drinks they do the usual Diageo, Heineken and MolsonCoors stuff as well. Can't imagine they'd be brave enough to drop Guinness until they bring out their own nitro porter.

Lincoln's Inn on Lincoln Place in Dublin is a bit of a C&C exhibition pub: Bulmers, Tennents, Heverlee, Caledonia Smooth, Stella, Beck's, Staropramen, Hoegaarden, Franziskaner, Leffe Blonde. It's a few months since I was there but you can doubtless throw Clonmel 1650 in there too now.

This reads a bit like the drinks available in the Bernard Shaw and their new place in Phibsboro, the Back Page, I believe. Perhaps it's more common than I thought.

Yep, left hand side of the front bar in the Back Page is all Grand Cru plus Rascal's; right hand side is all C&C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Interesting.

Didn't C&C try to buy a large pub group in the UK too recently, it was rejected though.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2014/1024/654577-cc-spirit-pubs/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

any idea how many the intend on opening in dublin? I reckon it could take 50-60 if not more... I visit the uk once a month and even the town of 15,000 I visit over there has one... I see the DunLaoire one is opening in just over a month, can only imagine the amount they will bring in over Xmas and the new year...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Idbatterim wrote: »
    any idea how many the intend on opening in dublin? I reckon it could take 50-60 if not more... I visit the uk once a month and even the town of 15,000 I visit over there has one... I see the DunLaoire one is opening in just over a month, can only imagine the amount they will bring in over Xmas and the new year...

If they where to match the uk ratio 900 pubs for 64m, that would put the total in Ireland at 56 or so. But who really knows :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Any news on when the Swords one is opening?

Am I correct here?

Blackrock, Co. Dublin - open July 2014
    Dun Laoighaire - to open Dec 2014
    Cork city centre - to open early 2015

Swords - bought site/pub, announced

Cork suburbs - Douglas - PP application submitted

Blanchardstown - announced today

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Swords - bought site/pub, announced

Bought pub. Old Boro. Being refitted as we speak.

10389301_563698650428248_4504790642130753230_n.jpg?oh=5390ae289c85ed1470bfe5345879a36e&oe=550C4E62&__gda__=1428107272_98e4e20db70c99a41bc2248c86234100

Fee offered if you find them a new premise.

Technical question:

How did you post that image from the JD WS Facebook page into your post?

• Advertisement

Technical question:

How did you post that image from the JD WS Facebook page into your post?

Right click any image on Facebook (or nearly anywhere on the web).
    Click "copy URL".
    Then copy it into your post using the 'insert image' button.

OK, I'll try now.

I right-clicked on the image, and chose Copy Image URL.

1940022_820814951291120_1515595571913329331_n.jpg?oh=8f2cd056dd6f5ae10f29be0ef4272666&oe=551B0094&__gda__=1423414205_31404658f24dffbdad131dd9c7bbfe98

It worked.

Now I think why it didn't work before was that I clicked on the image itself, and then the image opened inside another frame, and I copied the URL of that frame/window??

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Went to Blackrock yesterday. Most of the beers are €2.50, we had a couple of gourmet burgers which were great and two pints. €23.90 for that lot!
    To be honest I don't know how they do those prices...

I know the thing about no music playing etc (which personally I like) but I'm just wondering about how it is a 11 pm or whatever. There didn't seem to be any speakers up on the walls so I presume there's no music at all even in the evening.

But all in all a great shake up for the pub business in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

They have a really great selection of cask beer pump handles. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be much connected to them, most of the time. I wish they'd follow the simple system of throwing a plastic cup over the cask beers that are unavailable. It might save a bit of time for the barmen and the punters alike. Hopefully the 40 foot might have a little more cask beer availability as the few times I've been to the 3TT the prices have been great, but there hasn't been much that I'd be interested in spending my money on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I would love to know what effect the spoons in Blackrock has had on other pubs in the vicinity... Usually if you are going for a pint, location would be one of the biggest factors, but you would imagine people would be prepared to walk an extra few minutes for spoons prices, particularly if they are going for a few...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I would love to know what effect the spoons in Blackrock has had on other pubs in the vicinity... Usually if you are going for a pint, location would be one of the biggest factors, but you would imagine people would be prepared to walk an extra few minutes for spoons prices, particularly if they are going for a few...
    We actually went the other direction and enjoyed a few beers and some food in Spoons, then when we got tired of the beer selection, we headed to the Dark Horse and enjoyed some additional variety, albeit at pretty much twice the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

They have a really great selection of cask beer pump handles. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be much connected to them, most of the time. I wish they'd follow the simple system of throwing a plastic cup over the cask beers that are unavailable. It might save a bit of time for the barmen and the punters alike. Hopefully the 40 foot might have a little more cask beer availability as the few times I've been to the 3TT the prices have been great, but there hasn't been much that I'd be interested in spending my money on.

Do they not have those pump-clips that they have in England that you can unclip when the beer has run out?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

I heard a rumour that they are looking at the Botanic House in Glasnevin.

• Advertisement

roadsmart wrote: »
    I heard a rumour that they are looking at the Botanic House in Glasnevin.

I thought that myself while walking past it the other day. I've never been inside but the building doesn't look sufficiently open for their kind of premises. I wouldn't mind at all if they did open there though.

Advertisement