Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ULSU Elections 2011 (Voting Thursday March 24)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sinaydk

My mum isn't Irish, but has been living here for 22 years....and the locals at home still call he a blow-in. Its a very vague phrase - especially on Irish terms!!

I think every single student here has a right to run for election, no matter who they are! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SaltandVinegar

SaltandVingar - I have nothing against either Barry or Aoife running for the position of Education Officer, but one thing I do not agree on is your perception of both candidates.

If someone wishes to run for a sabbatical position it is their choice and their choice alone, you seem to know Barry very well and are well able to represent his corner in this upcoming election.
    However you do not know Aoife; how can you know how she feels about the union? How she is involved in it? How well she would do the job? Or what has driven her to run for the position of Education Officer?

Do you mean that only members of the infamous "Students' Union Clique" should both run for something and be elected - how is that in any form democratic or even encouraging for people to get involved? Which is something that the Union is forever trying to do, they even have an email address saying that!

Are you of the belief that in order to become a Sabbat you have to make that decision in your first year of college by becoming a class rep and active within the SU for the remainder of your degree years?
    Thus building up your "SU CV" in order to achieve the end title of "Sabbat"? Because that seems to me as extremely unfair and not a viewpoint that the Student's Union would like to endorse.

The SU is for every student in the University of Limerick, they don't exclude anyone, they don't discourage people from becoming involved in it, so why would then try to discourage people from making their own decisions regarding these elections?

Let people make their own choices by reading the manifestos and going to talk to the candidates during the week.
    That is how it should be done, not by stressing the "union clique" tittle on either candidate.

Thank you for your response Blue Flower. I know both Aoife and Barry very and again they are two lovely individuals. I do not endorse clique.. in fact I hate them.!!! The word of 'clique' was initally brought up another person on boards.ie. Absolutely everyone has the right to run for the elections, and in this elections alone .. it is great to see a bit of diversity of canditate.

I was initally stating why I support Barry that is because of his workexperience, policies he endorses and splendid personal abtributes he will bring. Aoife is also a worthy candidate, but I personally would like to see someone in like any one position.. to have the work experience needed for the role. This is only my opinion And I think it is important for everyone to get informed by reading their manifesto. And like yourself what makes ULSU a brillant place is that it is built democracy and allows everyone the equal opportunity to partipate which is very important is any organisation. : ) Everyone is entitled to an opinion for which I am freely allowed to express on boards.ie.. Isnt that the whole point of boards.ie Blue Flower? I was clearly stating my reasons for why I support Barry Kennedy.

wheel wrote: »
    What i'm talking about is the clear animosity towards a "blow in" running, rendered less qualified by some because they haven't been involved in SU enough, which you can see for yourself. but it's ok because salt and vinegar probably graduated years ago and doesn't have a vote, eh?!
    I know the services of the union are highly accessible, and is a great open place especially for first years.

ps you are the clique PERSONIFIED!! :p best of luck with it.
    That is stupid.!! No such thing of a clique in ULSU.... and everyone knows that UlSU is the fantastic organisation, the most welcoming, friendly and fair organisations.. I have ever come accross. !!! I have only highlighted the great work Barry has done in the SU in the past.. Everyone is welcome to run for election. I just stated the reasons why I am voting for him. And yes I can vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

Salt&vinegar - I think what may have inflamed the number of direct responses to you is that your original post did not simply outline your support for Barry - it stopped just short of insulting Aoife.

I've just had a thought - maybe you're a plant?
    You could be here to either:
    Promote Barry by presenting what you feel is a lack in qualities in Aoife or
    Inflame people's opinions and therefore drive votes from Barry

Hmmm.... Which side are you on - up until I had the above thought I had made the decision to vote Aoife, simply because of what I see as your insulting opinion - after all, if you represent the quality of person who will vote for Barry I'm not sure I'd like (even privately) to put myself on the same footing as yourself.

I would hope though that while boards.ie does generate a LOT of debate that people would actively seek out deserving candidates and vote for them rather than taking up with vocal minority opinion here.

What i'm talking about is the clear animosity towards a "blow in" running, rendered less qualified by some because they haven't been involved in SU enough, which you can see for yourself. but it's ok because salt and vinegar probably graduated years ago and doesn't have a vote, eh?!
    I know the services of the union are highly accessible, and is a great open place especially for first years.

ps you are the clique PERSONIFIED!! :p best of luck with it.
    Salt&vinegar - I think what may have inflamed the number of direct responses to you is that your original post did not simply outline your support for Barry - it stopped just short of insulting Aoife.

You could be here to either:
    Promote Barry by presenting what you feel is a lack in qualities in Aoife or
    Inflame people's opinions and therefore drive votes from Barry

Hmmm.... Which side are you on - up until I had the above thought I had made the decision to vote Aoife, simply because of what I see as your insulting opinion - after all, if you represent the quality of person who will vote for Barry I'm not sure I'd like (even privately) to put myself on the same footing as yourself.

I would hope though that while boards.ie does generate a LOT of debate that people would actively seek out deserving candidates and vote for them rather than taking up with vocal minority opinion here.

Sincere apoligies if you thought I was insulting Aoife, I have stated she is a lovely girl, great canditate and i am sure she would be great Education Officer to SU. I think this has gotten abit out of hand have been taken out of perportion. Each to their own opinions, I was not trying to insult Aoife, sorry if you thought I was. It not in my personal character to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 BlueFlowers

Thank you for your response Blue Flower. I know both Aoife and Barry very and again they are two lovely individuals. I do not endorse clique.. in fact I hate them.!!! The word of 'clique' was initally brought up another person on boards.ie. Absolutely everyone has the right to run for the elections, and in this elections alone .. it is great to see a bit of diversity of canditate.

I was initally stating why I support Barry that is because of his workexperience, policies he endorses and splendid personal abtributes he will bring. Aoife is also a worthy candidate, but I personally would like to see someone in like any one position.. to have the work experience needed for the role. This is only my opinion And I think it is important for everyone to get informed by reading their manifesto. And like yourself what makes ULSU a brillant place is that it is built democracy and allows everyone the equal opportunity to partipate which is very important is any organisation. : ) Everyone is entitled to an opinion for which I am freely allowed to express on boards.ie.. Isnt that the whole point of boards.ie Blue Flower? I was clearly stating my reasons for why I support Barry Kennedy.

If you think Aoife is a lovely girl - which she is, your previous posts don't seem to imply which is why everyone has responded to you as they have.
    Yes boards.ie is for freely stating your opinions, as it is for every member, it is how you are wording your posts that people are getting in a tizzy over.

While I am aware that you didn't bring up the term "clique" into the posts, it was however very much read between your lines, and that was not just read like that by myself.

In my own opinion you are actively campaigning against Aoife, not campaigning just for Barry, (I am aware they can seem they same!).

I wonder does Barry know the frenzy you have created on boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

Hi guys,
    I'd just like to respond to some of the claims posted above.

1) I don't know who salt&vinegar is, he/she definitely not a plant. Having been on boards for a while I'm well able to come on here and explain my side of the argument.

2) SU elections are open to all and I think its refreshing that candidates with any level of experience of SU politics run. I have nothing but the utmost respect for anyone who puts their name in the hat because elections are serious work. Anyone who has the confidence to put themselves on the pedestal and take the criticism that goes with it, deserves applaud.

3) I raised my experience in my manifesto. I didn't do it because I think its a requirement for the job but I think its something that I personally can bring to the table if elected. The ideas in my manifesto come from talking to students (inside and outside of the union), my own knowledge of how the university works and my research into what works in other third level institutions both in Ireland and the UK.

4) In regards the idea of the "Clique", I can see why people think that. Friendships form in all organisations and sometimes people on the outside feel they can't get a look in. I got involved in first year because I wanted to make friends and would like to think others have found the Union to be the open and welcome place that I found in first year.

The biggest problem with the union is that most students feel its a case of "them and us" and the SU doesn't represent them. I'm not sure how to fully dispel this idea but if elected I will do my best to be as open and friendly to all students. I'd like to think that I'm a friendly and approachable guy and I'm sure people who know me would back up that claim.

5) I don't know Aoife that well as I only got properly introduced to her this semester but she seems like a lovely girl. I'd like to wish her the best of luck with her campaign and we'll see how we get on Thursday night

I'll be around campus all week so if anyone would like to ask me a question, I will be happy to talk to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

bazkennedy wrote: »
    Can't say much about why we left as it was before my time but i think it was due to people feeling that they weren't being effectively represented.

As for staying out membership of USI costs €65,000 and this would come out of the student's pockets. Last time the issue came up it was felt that students wouldn't be getting value for money by re-affiliation.

Thanks baz..

Right so since Enda Gallery has brought it up i would like to ask derek and keith about there stance if they see this quesiton....are you for/against UL to affiliate with the USI and why is that your position...and since he brought it up...if enda would like to add anything that isnt on his manifesto please do

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sinaydk

By the way, when and where are hustings?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mooonpie

Hey all,

My name is Eoin Mooney and I am Barry Kennedy's Campaign Manager.

I may not be too active on the forum since Barry has plenty of experience with the boards community, certainly more than I do.

That's it for now I guess, just introducing myself and declaring my affiliation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

sinaydk wrote: »
    By the way, when and where are hustings?

I think its Wednesday at 6 or 7 in the swift.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jenzerr

The SU and the student body they represent are an ever changing entity. The sabbat positions are jobs that only last a year. Naturally so, there is a high turnover of staff and each new sabbat will have to be trained into the job. They will experience more of the workings of the union than being a class rep could ever prepare you for. So while knowledge and experience of the SU would probably help the person themselves, it's nothing someone who hasn't spent much time there couldn't pick up as easily as people you see there every day would. We should definitely take into consideration candidate's experience outside of college.

Also, while we obviously need to keep in mind the candidates themselves, I think we also need to factor in the job they are putting themselves forward for. There are responsibilities and situations that come with each position that aren't immediately realised. For example, I know the Education Officer often has to deal with people coming in and crying for various reasons, whether it be because of a prick of a lecturer or failed transfer attempts or just simply an overwhelming workload. I know because I've done it! The Education Officer needs to be particularly approachable and friendly. Our President needs to be respectable and well spoken as a huge part of their work is dealing with established, important, probably intimidating University boards. Yet they still need to be relatable to the youth that makes the student body they represent. The President must be a chameleon in social situations. The CSO needs to have the talent of knowing what the people want. I call it a talent because it is; some people have it, some don't. They also need to be able to leave personal taste out of their plans. Sure, Fetus Explosion might very well be the new CSO's favourite band, and he's friends with their manager, but they're not exactly going to sell out The Stables. All the sabbat positions come with awkward moments that none of us know anything about, because you're dealing with such a large volume of people, and they need to be able to handle these.

Anyway, that's my input after the first 7 pages of this glorious thread. Can't wait for the week long sugar high.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭lorcanthrope

jenzerr wrote: »
    The SU and the student body they represent are an ever changing entity. The sabbat positions are jobs that only last a year. Naturally so, there is a high turnover of staff and each new sabbat will have to be trained into the job. They will experience more of the workings of the union than being a class rep could ever prepare you for. So while knowledge and experience of the SU would probably help the person themselves, it's nothing someone who hasn't spent much time there couldn't pick up as easily as people you see there every day would. We should definitely take into consideration candidate's experience outside of college.

Also, while we obviously need to keep in mind the candidates themselves, I think we also need to factor in the job they are putting themselves forward for. There are responsibilities and situations that come with each position that aren't immediately realised. For example, I know the Education Officer often has to deal with people coming in and crying for various reasons, whether it be because of a prick of a lecturer or failed transfer attempts or just simply an overwhelming workload. I know because I've done it! The Education Officer needs to be particularly approachable and friendly. Our President needs to be respectable and well spoken as a huge part of their work is dealing with established, important, probably intimidating University boards. Yet they still need to be relatable to the youth that makes the student body they represent. The President must be a chameleon in social situations. The CSO needs to have the talent of knowing what the people want. I call it a talent because it is; some people have it, some don't. They also need to be able to leave personal taste out of their plans. Sure, Fetus Explosion might very well be the new CSO's favourite band, and he's friends with their manager, but they're not exactly going to sell out The Stables. All the sabbat positions come with awkward moments that none of us know anything about, because you're dealing with such a large volume of people, and they need to be able to handle these.

Anyway, that's my input after the first 7 pages of this glorious thread. Can't wait for the week long sugar high.

Nicely summed up. Any SU position carries with it a myriad of social and intellectual problems as far as I'm concerned from my own experience of working with the guys and running myself last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

As the opening post clearly says, if you think someone may be a shill, a re-reg, a sock puppet or a plant, please report their post using the "report this post" button at the bottom left of the post.

Having done the checks that are available to me on the forum member in question, I'm satisfied as a forum moderator and site admin that they're just a UL student as much as you are, with a point of view. Having a point of view and presenting it isn't a crime - actually, it's a good thing in the modern world.

The "report this post" button is useful, folks, don't be shy about using it in favour of an accusation on thread. With the access I have, I can see far more than a regular forum member can. As the opening post indicates, with regard to the election discussion, it works for the benefit of discussion if you let the moderators do what they have the tools to do - believe me, reports work best to aid the actual discussion.

/mod

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Much like all SU Presidents it will not be my choice whether ULSU is affiliated to USI or not, it is the students's choice. If the students want a USI referendum they will get one. The Union will not take a stance if I am President, it will be for the students to decide. It will be a UL campaign, I will not allow USI to over-run the campus like it did NUIM 2 years ago, throwing thousands of its members money on a campaign to get that institution involved.

I know Scott Ahearn, incoming USI Welfare Officer quite well having dealt a lot with him through his and my 2 years as Welfare Officers in our respective Unions and as core student members of the national Please Talk steering committee.

I know Colm Murphy, current USI Education Officer and incoming USI Deputy President as he was a student in UL when I first started

I find it ironic that one of the people to first cast aspersions on my political affiliations, the person elected to be USI Deputy President for 2010/11 resigned in January to run a general election campaign for someone.

HOWEVER, I have no problem working with the SU President of any college. I know Mairead and Noel from Mary I who will be staying on this year; Emmet, incoming SU President in NUIG; Conor Doyle, WIT (they copied our Bike Shop and Tomás and Chris worked on that with them this year); Ben Honan, incoming UCCSU President was a year behind me in my secondary school. All of those claims will check out if you wish to check them;)

In terms of "connections" I reckon that's a pretty good start, but equally, I'm sure those guys would work just as well with either of the other candidates if elected. I know a number of other officers in other unions. I think the importance of unions interacting and sharing information is more important than being affiliated to USI.

We don't need to spend a fortune to talk, in fact University SU Presidents and other officers meet a number of times a year anyway. As far as I'm concerned, USI needs to come a long way before I would use my vote to vote yes to affiliation.

Don (University President) has agreed to reinforce the grants issue to government through the IUA. It has already been taken there by individual unions, with some success, but the university presidents would be a further step along the way. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

What I'm saying in essence is that you can have USI if you want it, but I don't think it's a good idea and I think there are better ways to spend close to €70k a year of students money on campus instead.

Long winded, but I reckon you get the point.

Edit:

Forgot to mention that as officers for 2009/10 we asked Council to tell us what it wanted in terms of a National Student Movement. This call was also put to the student body. To call the response lacklustre would be an understatement. Without digging out the emails, I think the response count was somewhere between 2-4 submissions. I was the officer responsible for incepting the idea and receiving the submissions.

Derek

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ULMarc

I've just read the entire thread in one sitting so I'm not going to gather up quotes, but it won't be too difficult to understand what I'm saying. From what I remember;

Something was said earlier about flashy, shiny campaigns. (And there are a lot of other words you can put them too.) Nonetheless, it's still part of the consideration you must make when you cast your vote. If a candidate can successfully persuade, arrange and fuel a campaign team then it's surely reflective of those respective qualities once they're in office. I suppose one must make this consideration based on their evaluation of the "charisma" quality that was discussed.

More importantly, I'm wondering if there's any published information about the e-voting system. I'm kind of concerned with its affect on the "spirit" of the election. I mean, from what it appears, you could wonder around campus with a networked device canvassing voters directly. Also, campaigners will need to begin universally educating students on how to use the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

I would presume (and will be raising this issue today) that ERB will be promoting the voting system during the week and include a step by step guide to voting tho I imagine all the candidates will (in their own way) promote the online voting as well.

I look forward to meeting as many of you as possible during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Jesus - just read this whole thread because well, those who know me know why.

Just to get the formalities out of the way:-

Pres - Daly
    Ed - Baz
    CSO - Natalie Imbruglia
    Welfare - Dunno yet
    Communications - will read up on it.

Though of course none of this matters because I can't vote this year !!!
    But I will be helping Baz and Daly as the week goes on.

May I just ask if we can leave the whole Clique thing out, its bollox, its been done and written on before.

Now, to make things handy:-

Will the candidates please put up their 5 point plans (seen as they are popular at the moment) for why they should be elected eg.

1) I'm Great
    2) I'm Incredible
    3) I'm Awesome
    4) I'm Superfantastic
    5) I can work well in a team (NO GENERICS PLEASE)

- but please do not forget the first one (as is also popular at the moment) when you get elected. :D:D:D:D:D

I've linked at the start of the thread to the first blog I've been sent - ULSU Elect. Worth a looksee, some entries already included. And it has pictures, which is always nice.

A number of candidates have sent their weblinks as well and they're inserted in the first post of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

DJCR wrote: »
    Communications - SU Vs. Skynet - will read up on it.

As a committee member for the computer society, I'd just like to clarify that the computer society, 'skynet', doesn't endorse anyone for any position. We endorse our own activities (which aren't mutually exclusive to other activities... vote and then come to our stuff :D)

I also think that seeing as both candidates are heavily involved in the SU, it isn't correct to word that election in that manner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Ms. Education

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    This is bo**ox. Do you think any of the candidates would put their name forward if there wasn't a decent wage or it didn't look good on their CV?

They're not doing it for the good of their health. They all "want the job, cos it's a job". Nothing wrong with that of course

No one in their right mind would run for a Sabbat position "just for a job". Speaking from my own perspective, the hours are long, the work is difficult, in some cases beyond frustrating and pretty thankless (not to put Aoife and Barry off running :D). Last semester I advised over 600 students, this semester I'm at 285 as of Friday. Nobody would take this job because they want a job and to imply that is a little bit insulting to those of us who have spent two years serving the students of UL as best we could. I ran for this position because I cared and because I wanted to make an impact and I hope I did that. I had an unconditional place in a Masters last year and I deferred it for a year to be here.

As for the wage part and to echo Viv - the future Mr. Aoife Finnerty (AKA boyfriend ;)) works in a supermarket and he makes more than me..

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

No one in their right mind would run for a Sabbat position "just for a job". Speaking from my own perspective, the hours are long, the work is difficult, in some cases beyond frustrating and pretty thankless (not to put Aoife and Barry off running :D). Last semester I advised over 600 students, this semester I'm at 285 as of Friday. Nobody would take this job because they want a job and to imply that is a little bit insulting to those of us who have spent two years serving the students of UL as best we could. I ran for this position because I cared and because I wanted to make an impact and I hope I did that. I had an unconditional place in a Masters last year and I deferred it for a year to be here.

As for the wage part and to echo Viv - the future Mr. Aoife Finnerty (AKA boyfriend ;)) works in a supermarket and he makes more than me..

Well said Ms. Education. As a former education officer the job is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than just a job. The hours are long, sometimes neverending (seriously, ask Ms Education what 'being on call' duing exams 08-09 was like).

The pay is crap: The hours after 45+ are not paid for and ironically its there that some real progress seems to be made on student cases and committee work.

For Exam Support Packs, I once lost committee notes in my office cos I had floor to ceiling boxes!!!! Seriously, I actually built a fort in my office!

The need to support other sabbat iniatives is a horrid horrid thing at the end of an 80+ hour week, when all you want to do is crawl into bed and get a hug from your boy/girlfriend and you have to go to a College Ball or a Christmas Party or something that you committed to!

The lack of a social life is cat! You can't go to the lodge, or town, or even the forge nitclub in kilorglan or that kip of a place in dingle without being recognised and asked questions about FYPs, Igrades, placement or a variety of ther problems. And its not as if you can exactly tell people you're off the clock!!

That having been said I'd rerun in the morning if I could and if I thought I could make a difference. Because in fairness, that's what its all about really. Making a difference.

Yeah, look, I think you can completely knock on the head the notion that anyone (sane) runs for the SU full-time positions for the pay. As I recall, quitting my 36-hour three-day weekend job when starting my year in the SU in 2007 meant my taking a paycut of 12-15k the day I walked into the place. I was obviously aware of that in advance so I'm not complaining (actually the pay was slightly higher than I thought it would be when running). And at the time I was lucky enough to have the most patient girlfriend on the planet, who would often go to sleep in the corner while I was finishing stuff before going home. Immensely frustrating, yes. Immensely fulfilling, certainly at times. Still worth doing.

The one thing I'd like to address is criticism of people that will be thrown out during the next few days for running for one of the positions because it would be an advantage to them in their future careers. While it's reasonable for someone to point out that having a position in a Students' Union on their CV could be detrimental to their future career prospects in the modern largely-un-unionised work environment, most employers with the capacity to count to 12 can tell the difference between the UL Students' Union and the Trotskyite Workers Redistribution Union. But, while having a representative role and the capacity to be elected to a position (any position, particularly a position with a constituency of over 10,000 students) is generally a good thing to have on a CV if it's tied in with career plans, there's absolutely nothing wrong with someone regarding their year in the SU as part of their life plan. Actually, it makes it quite likely that they'll be doing their best to do a good job, gain useful experience and do their best for the people they represent. Not that this is better than someone who's running simply because they believe they're the best person possible for the job where it's nothing to do with their career plans, but it's not much of a jibe to say that someone is interested in a role because it fits in with their five year plan (see what I did there?). If someone brings it up as a negative attribute then they're just launching a poor ad hominem rather then actually thinking of what's best for the students - and that's the main reason that should be considered when voting.

I had an An Focal editorial just before elections in 2008 which I might dig up and post - it pushes the notion of what students should want and should need in an elected representative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

I am disappointed that I am not around for the elections this year, they are always great fun, a week with 5 hours sleep in total, enough sugar to create a diabetes epidemic on campus and the emotional mess that is the count and results.

Best of Luck to all those running (but more luck to those I know).

Could anyone clarify for me please as to how the voting is going to work, is it purely online or will there be the usual polling booths as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

In relation to Dereks political affiliations, I dont really see a problem with it. I am active with the UL FG branch snd some of our memers are supporting Derek in his campaign. After all he is not running as a FF candidate, he is running off his own merit and that is what he should be judged on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Busby_Babes

It's great to see that even though Alan O Sullivan is running against Paddy Rockett that he completely supports Paddys original idea of the average joe-lympics (an idea that paddy put forward during last years campaign and has again included in his manifesto this year), so much so that Alan has included it in his own manifesto this year aswell under the name ULympics. Its so comforting to know that this is something that this will be something available to students no matter who wins, Great idea Paddy!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭FrankAmazing

It's great to see that even though Alan O Sullivan is running against Paddy Rockett that he completely supports Paddys original idea of the average joe-lympics (an idea that paddy put forward during last years campaign and has again included in his manifesto this year), so much so that Alan has included it in his own manifesto this year aswell under the name ULympics. Its so comforting to know that this is something that this will be something available to students no matter who wins, Great idea Paddy!!!

isnt that called ''stealing someone else's idea ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jenzerr

Just having a look through the printed manifestos and leaflets here. I don't know if it's just me but format, grammar and punctuation really have an effect on me! The English language takes a serious hit in a few of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 UL06

Firstly, no one can deny that there are ''cliques'' in the student union.

I've been a student in UL now for 5 years and ever since I arrived I have been on the board/committee for a sports club. In order to get funding for our club we must attend a C&S meeting regularly, and for anyone that has ever been to one of those meetings it is obvious to see that there is a ''clique'' in the Student Union. Friends looking out for other friends.. not saying its a bad thing but if you're not in the clique you're screwed!

I know i'm moving away from C&S now but... to come back to the current elections and after reading all the posts, for someone to say that Aoife Kenny is not getting slated here (and im not sure why she is, because she's done nothing wrong) is an absolute ....... (better just stop there). It's all well and good saying at the end '' she's a lovely girl '' but that doesn't take away the fact you're trying to slander her in the mean time. Also, how come no one is talking about the other officers up for election here?? Barry it seems to me you've got a few campaigners helping you out here!

It is my hope that a new face, like Aoife Kenny, could come in with some new ideas. Isn't it what the Student Union is all about?? Aoife hasn't been in the Union for the 5 years like Barry and therefore would she not be in a better position to represent the STUDENTS, whereas i'm only guessing here, but Barry must already have friends within the Union and may be in the ''clique'' as its being called.

Quoting his ''resume''
    Barry Kennedy's Experience to date:
    Class Rep since 2006
    Deputy Chair of Class Rep Council
    Worked on Campaigns Working Group,
    Worked in the Class Rep Development Working Group
    Worked on the Electoral/Referenda Board
    Active member in many Clubs & Societies e.g Drama
    Former member of ULTV society

... This just further indicates that Barry, although might do a great job, it would be in the best interest of not only the students but the current Student Union to have some new ideas and people on board to move forward in the future!!

It is my hope that new faces arrive in most positions and not just in the Education position.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 UL06

salt and vinegar,

just joined after i saw union clique rearing it's ugly head!
    Sadly there's NOTHING fresh about barry kennedy!! he's a great guy and you're absolutely correct that barry deserves credit, but it's unfortunate for him that he is so associated with the clique that education has been for years. (a very hardworking clique that said)

calling aoife kenny a 'blow-in' (which is funny because she seems like a bit of a union head, or do you have to spend 5 years hanging around the SU to be deemed worthy?) only testifies to that institutionalised, inaccessible clique problem, education desperately needs a fresh as an undecided voter, you just made my mind up.

sorry barry!

This is another indication that I am not the only UL student looking for a change!!!

Advertisement