Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peaky Blinders - BBC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I started the day as Lady Rose of Connemara and ended it a whore with syphilis
    ;)We know how to treat the girls to a day out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,638 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I liked Tommy's scene with Danny where they talked about the war, Tommy's recurring dream and how he prays for the sun to come up every morning before the diggers break through his wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It's enjoyable alright.

The few minor complaints I had about the dialogue haven't become recurring issues.

I think the Nick Cave music suits it better than the Jack White stuff. Are they the only two artists on the soundtrack? It certainly seems that way at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

This is my new favourite show. I think as Irish accents on American actors go, this show has some of the best I've ever heard so I'll forgive the odd slip here and there, I thought Sam Neill was excellent. It's got so much in it without being overloaded. Union struggles, communists, IRA, Irish spies in England and a bit of WW1 stuff thrown in for good measure.

I'm beginning to enjoy period pieces like this now. The absence of technology shortcuts seems to help with the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

The one false note in the latest episode for me was when Rose asks Tommy outright why he came back for her, it was too on the nose for me and something that would have been best left unsaid. Its like they thought the audience would be too stupid to get the implication that Rose was slowly melting through Tommys Icy facade so it needed to be explicitly asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

ScumLord wrote: »
    I think as Irish accents on American actors go, this show has some of the best I've ever heard so I'll forgive the odd slip here and there.

:confused: but its british actors its made by the bbc

fryup wrote: »
    :confused: but its british actors its made by the bbc
    I think there are some Americans in it. I always thought that Sam Neill was American but looking him up it says he's British-New Zealand.

Cillian Murphy is Irish - well , Republic of Cork but near enough.
    Sam Neill was born in Northern Ireland but was raised from childhood in NZ and established himself as an actor in Australia. He does accents well though so has often played Americans for cash.
    There might be an American or two in there somewhere but it is a BBC production as said above.

The one false note in the latest episode for me was when Rose asks Tommy outright why he came back for her, it was too on the nose for me and something that would have been best left unsaid. Its like they thought the audience would be too stupid to get the implication that Rose was slowly melting through Tommys Icy facade so it needed to be explicitly asked.

That was there alright.

I would hope that the writer is being forced to put those lines in against his will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

the latest episode was sensational. really is a great show its surprised me how good it actually is

Its interesting - he knows she's lying to him at every step but still keeps her close. I'm laying money (though not with the Shelbys) he's a patron of galleries himself.
    I did like the way Sam Neill went from beaten copper to diabolic vengeance upon an uppity child in about two seconds flat.
    This show will travel if the writing keeps up. The wee pretend gangsters in Love/Hate look midgety by comparison.

The wee pretend gangsters in Love/Hate look midgety by comparison.

Speaking of which.... Tom Vaughan-Lawlor is going to appear in Peaky Blinders as an IRA man apparently.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Speaking of which.... Tom Vaughan-Lawlor is going to appear in Peaky Blinders as an IRA man apparently.

Nice one. I was wondering when the genuine non-singsong IRA were going to show up with an offer from Uncle Mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Cris Jones

Cillian Murphy is Irish - well , Republic of Cork but near enough.
    Sam Neill was born in Northern Ireland but was raised from childhood in NZ and established himself as an actor in Australia. He does accents well though so has often played Americans for cash.
    There might be an American or two in there somewhere but it is a BBC production as said above.
    All actors work for 'cash'. Jobs do that. Sam Neill is Irish having been born in Omagh, County Tyrone and is very proud of his Irish roots and has an Irish passport - source? I have met him and he told me so himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,485 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

SOA's Tommy Flanagan debuts this week
    as Arthur Snr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Wow that was beating poor old Nidge got :D

RIP Nidge. No wonder he's depressed if thats how his previous life ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The finale of series 1 is next week apparently. I've really got into the story and characters over the last couple of episodes, it's good stuff. Hopefully there's a second series.

Fantastic episode. Murphy and neill have been excellent throughout

The finale of series 1 is next week apparently. I've really got into the story and characters over the last couple of episodes, it's good stuff. Hopefully there's a second series.

I thought that was the finale. One to go is good news. I saw an interview with the shows creator where he said he was already writing series two. So that looks positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

exactly the same, was looking forward on a thursday night to the next episode. Cillian is brilliant to watch have to say, great accent to. will there be a second series though, dosent strike me as you could really expand to to far with this series? maybe im wrong.

I read a report in the paper a few weeks ago that there already planning a 3rd series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Watched the final episode tonight, enjoyed the series, definitely worthy of 2nd season. Good to see historical drama from a working class POV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Thought it was a bit hit and miss tonight, Cillian not figuring out she was a spy just was too weak for me, the shootout was just too staged as well.

Neill was good again, the acting in the scene at the start with the prostitute was excellent, played the stereotypical Ulster Prod from that era brilliantly.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I suppose the final gunshot was Sam Neill ending it all. Hopefully not. Looking forward to season 2 already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what did Thomas say at the end in his letter to grace??

meet you in 3 weeks??

> wonder did he tell the police chief where Grace was??

Really enjoyed the series,also looking forward to series 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

fryup wrote: »
    what did Thomas say at the end in his letter to grace??

meet you in 3 weeks??

> wonder did he tell the police chief where Grace was??

no he said he would give her his answer in 3 days. apparently she asked him to go to new york with him. maybe in the end she took out her gun and popped sam neill...john wayne style. really enjoyed the series even if cillian did recover very quickly from that gunshot wound. very quickly :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Really enjoyed the series. It's well shot and directed with great acting, particularly from Murphy and Neill.

I did think Tommy should have copped that it was Grace betraying him but I guess he was blinded by his feelings.

Really looking forward to series 2.

Has anyone found they get a weird reception when they mention the show to others? Nobody I know has heard of it and their initial reaction to my recommendation is, "What a weird name".

Fantastic ending to a fantastic season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Just finished it last night,Very good show,The IRA Singing was a bit cringe but other than that was v.good...Hope Grace got it at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Great actor.

Charlotte Riley (Tom Hardy's OH) and Noah Taylor join cast Source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

this worth the watch?

Raf32 wrote: »
    this worth the watch?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Yes

Thanks, gonna start it now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭brian_t

Teaser for series 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭brian_t

Season 1 is being repeated late on BBC2 this week and next.

Starting tomorrow night at 20 min past Midnight.

• Advertisement

Thursday, October 2 at 9pm on BBC Two Season 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

back tonight looking forward to it

Ah feck just seen that this is back on,will episode one of series two be repeated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Ah feck just seen that this is back on,will episode one of series two be repeated?

I'm sure it will at some stage

Serious stuff went down in the last ten mins

Have it series link set up now,will have to check online to see if I can catch tonights episode.

Great opener.anyone one know when Mr hardy is to show up ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

ricero wrote: »
    Great opener.anyone one know when Mr hardy is to show up ?

I'm guessing the telegram Tommy got is from his character?

I'm guessing the telegram Tommy got is from his character?

So he's playing a Jewish gangster ? Delighted to see Sam Neill again fantastic performance in this

ricero wrote: »
    So he's playing a Jewish gangster ? Delighted to see Sam Neill again fantastic performance in this
    I didn't think Sam Neill could get any better in this but the cain just makes him even more menacing.

The latest episode was excellent. Such excellent casting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement