Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What really obvious thing have you only just realised?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

GreeBo wrote: »
    Nice!

How about that the original incoming SMS tone is actually the morse code for the letters SMS!

This cannot be unseen.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Neil Patrick Harris was gay

I haven't watched his shows but I saw of a few clips of him on youtube over the years and liked the cut of his jib.
    Funny and witty

But I was clearly living under a rock as I only saw this month that he was gay

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

That "bee's knees" sounds like business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Kold wrote: »
    That "bee's knees" sounds like business.

do bees actually have knees?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Each Rice Krispy is made from a single crisp.
    grain of rice? Yeah.

But i only realised this year, (im 30) that every cornflake is a flattened sweetcorn, i thought they used to mash them up into a paste with water, spread it on a tray and bake it, and then... hit it with a hammer to break it up into cornflakes...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

When I was young I spelt quays keys :-(

That's understandable

There is a block of modern flats in Dublin near the port called Island Key.
    It's definitely Key

Bit of a strange name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

People who work for Santa have low ELF esteem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I used to always think that a vacuum cleaner was actually called a hoover and then realised it's just a brand name. The same thing happened me with Jeep thinking it was a type of vehicle and not a manufacturer.

:o:o O my God :o:o well you learn something everyday.

I thought that up to now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

ruthloss wrote: »
    People who work for Santa have low ELF esteem.
    its no fun in Santa's workshop these days because of all the elfen safty regulations...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

THOSE WOMEN WERE IN THE NIP!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

That when I was nine, my dog didn't really go to live on a farm. Learned this age 30, watching an episode of Friends where Ross learns the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Just recently got the name of Abrekebabbra.....

I didn't get it until I read this post. Then I thinking how the fcuk did I miss that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

its no fun in Santa's workshop these days because of all the elfen safty regulations...
    Oh you lads Cracker me up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I suck with words.

I for some reason used to read hyperbole as "hyper-bowl". So when I first saw hyperbole being used in regular fashion online, I started using it - chuffed with myself that I now sounded extremely intelligent. It was only when I heard it pronounced properly on a debate a few years ago did I learn what a stupid cúnt I actually was.

PS: Why did the Chicken go to the men's room? Because that's where all the cocks hang out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

dlofnep wrote: »
    I suck with words.

I for some reason used to read hyperbole as "hyper-bowl". So when I first saw hyperbole being used in regular fashion online, I started using it - chuffed with myself that I now sounded extremely intelligent. It was only when I heard it pronounced properly on a debate a few years ago did I learn what a stupid cúnt I actually was.

PS: Why did the Chicken go to the men's room? Because that's where all the cocks hang out.

That's berry funny!!

Sorry., that's the last one today, I promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

staker wrote: »
    Derv is another name for diesel, hadn't realised that til today-driving close on 20 years:o

I thought it was diesel engined road vehicle all these years.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/derv

• Registered Users Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I've been calling her Crandall! Why didn't somebody tell me? Ugh, I've been making an idiot of myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭buzsywuzsy

Up until last year a friend (yes, a friend, not me) thought that a laptop was a labtop.

I thought Ann Frank died a nice old lady :o

I was devastated when I visited her gaf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Lazer Smart

About two weeks ago I realised there was a relationship between the word "news" and the word "new". Bleedin thick!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

I thought Ann Frank died a nice old lady :o

I was devastated when I visited her gaf.

I was about to chide you for your gaffe on using gaf for gaff, however, having googled 'gaf' I now realise that your gaf does indeed mean my gaff, so it would have been back to my gaffe and not yours.
    Happy Christmas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I've only just realised that Pint glasses are 1 pint TO THE RIM, so, the head in the pint means you loose out on 50-80ml of beer.

Makes sense why some people insist on small/no head... cheap hoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Seaneh wrote: »
    I've only just realised that Pint glasses are 1 pint TO THE RIM, so, the head in the pint means you loose out on 50-80ml of beer.

Makes sense why some people insist on small/no head... cheap hoors.

I've no experience in these matters, but somehow your last four words don't ring true.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

Not totally on topic (in that its not something I've just realised), but my all time favourite misunderstood common sayings were both spotted in posts on here!

Someone once wrote a post in which they referred to "perils of wisdom" rather than "pearls", and there was another one where someone "couldn't see the wolf for the trees"!

I got great amusement out of those- my friend and I use them instead of the actual phrases now...I'm sure people have overheard us and think we're idiots though!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

this thread has blown my mind.
    i dont know who i am anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 28,135 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Craftily sees an opportunity:

I knew someone who didn't realise that 'weary' means tired, and that if you mean nervous the word is 'wary'.

Wonder how many more I can sneak in before anyone realises...

Standin' on your mama's porch
    You told me that you'd wait forever
    Oh and when you held my hand
    I knew that it was now or never
    Those were the best days of my life
    Back in the summer of '69

Catchy song, ye all know it :)

A man looking back at his youth and random memories like his first real six string.

Sure we do that over in All Things Retro forum

Adams revealed a little-known fact about his 1985 hit, "Summer of '69."

"A lot of people think it's about the year," Adams said, "but actually, it's more about making love in the summertime. It's using '69 as a sexual reference.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/08/earlyshow/leisure/music/main4425534.shtml

Bless my innocent soul.
    Heard that song hundreds of times over the years and I never ever picked up the meaning.
    Was about 1969, no? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

My willy is very very very small.

Only took me 30 years to realise :(

• Advertisement

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    My willy is very very very small.

Only took me 30 years to realise :(

Ah it's just that you've been getting bigger for the last 30 years, that's all.

Advertisement