Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

You can use it for its purpose - to watch Sky Now (a Netflix equivalent) on your tv. See the selection here.
    You can use it to watch BBC iplayer stuff along with some English channels if you can change the DNS settings on your router.

As mentioned earlier, I changed the settings on my router and they work on my laptop, desktop and phone but not on the Now TV box. What settings did you use?

I haven't done it myself as I'm using my Android phone as my router. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Soarer wrote: »
    There are loads of things I could buy for £10. Just wondering what this will offer me.

Soarer me old buddy, I've seen you around here lots, me and you are one in the same. If you are asking the question of why you should get one and its £10, you are already getting one.

I asked myself the same question, Thought I had plenty of things that can do whatever job this thing does, but a few days later I caved. A shiny new box for £10... it even comes with a HDMI cable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Guys anymore promo codes ? Just got my box today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

What ho, chaps - there's another secret menu!

Found this in a discussion about problems logging on to wifi:
    Update: After much wrangling the WiFi connectivity issue was eventually resolved by accessing the hidden menu (press home button 5 times followed by fast-forward, play, rewind, play and then fast-forward again) and selecting “disable network pings” in the options.

The menu is called " platform Secret Menu" and has Temperature (no idea why), IP and SSID info (yawn) and some wifi quality of service info.

It also has tick boxes for System Reboot, Disable network pings, and another screen called "Wifi secret screen"

This Wifi screen has wifi info plus tick boxes to run something called "iperf" and "iperf setup"

All this fun for a tenner!

There's an app buried deep in the Roku store on this box called PlayTo.

I can't use it as its Android-only, but it should be useful - apparently as well as streaming various web services, it can also discover and connect to media servers in your house ( it says DLNA and AirPlay certified). I don't know if the roku box and the media server get in direct contact with each other, or if it all has to go through the pad/phone.

My hunt continues for something that will allow my ipad to control this box, and maybe stream to it.

Btw: I find Plex way too slow - cant keep a continuous movie going on th Now box, and even on my PC its very jerky playing movies - VLC is smooth. Mind you that's Plex media server, not Plex Media Center.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    There's an app buried deep in the Roku store on this box called PlayTo.

Just installed this app on my android phone, works great. Can stream all my video files from my phone to the box. Much handier than plex imo. As stated above it is android only so it wouldn't be any use if your files are on different platforms.

Is it time this thread was moved or forked to another Boards forum? It's getting into techie areas rather than Bargain Alert.

I see there's a HTPC & Media Centre forum where strangely enough nobody seems aware of this little gem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Just installed this app on my android phone, works great. Can stream all my video files from my phone to the box. Much handier than plex imo. As stated above it is android only so it wouldn't be any use if your files are on different platforms.
    Did you install the lite version or a full version? I'm trying the lite but it won't pick up the nowtv box, even after manually adding it. Keeps reverting to apple tv (wont work to that, either!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Ok lads getting one of these, slightly confused with the parcel motel bit, should i be putting my name as the house name and pmid as house number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Shane_ef wrote: »
    Ok lads getting one of these, slightly confused with the parcel motel bit, should i be putting my name as the house name and pmid as house number?

Doesn't really matter once your name and PMID are on it in the top two lines of the address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Ordered Monday via PM - collected it this AM.
    Lovely piece of kit - connected no bother to the plex server I set up during the week.

For once the missus is actually impressed by some tech :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I'm with soarer on this -

I have a sky hd box, with free movies and sports till December.
    I have an xbox and apple tv that manage the pc streaming and netflix.
    My av receiver can stream spotify if i could be arsed.
    My blu-ray player could in theory do most or all but the ui is ****e.
    so I don't really need this do I?

Mind you, I do need a new hdmi cable.

Quackles wrote: »
    Did you install the lite version or a full version? I'm trying the lite but it won't pick up the nowtv box, even after manually adding it. Keeps reverting to apple tv (wont work to that, either!).

Installed the PlayTo app on my Galaxy Note and on the Now TV box.
    Using my phone I can play media from my home Plex server directly on the Now TV box.
    So the movie is going
    Plex server -> Phone -> Now TV box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭GinjaNinja

Missed out on the €15 offer.
    Have the box sitting here and am lode to pay 8.99.

If anyone finds a similar off please post?

Q: would the PS3 90 offer work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

long_b wrote: »
    Installed the PlayTo app on my Galaxy Note and on the Now TV box.
    Using my phone I can play media from my home Plex server directly on the Now TV box.
    So the movie is going
    Plex server -> Phone -> Now TV box

I've tried from plex server and from my readynas but my problem is that playto on phone isn't picking up playto on the now tv, if that makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭JAMM222

Is there a way to install Netflix on this? Also is it possible to steam something like star sports or liveonlinefooty?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭BubbleBalls

Anyone know if DNS changes are possible on UPC supplied Thomson TWG 870?

Quackles wrote: »
    I've tried from plex server and from my readynas but my problem is that playto on phone isn't picking up playto on the now tv, if that makes sense.

I had to tap on the screen icon on the top RHS and add it manually via IP address.

I've since bought the paid version of the Android app.

So much tech fun for a tenner !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

what's the exact name of that app?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

GinjaNinja wrote: »
    Missed out on the €15 offer.
    Have the box sitting here and am lode to pay 8.99.

If anyone finds a similar off please post?

Q: would the PS3 90 offer work?

It's worth mentioning that Now TV seems to be geo-locked now (only got the box on Friday, and no films are opening - all give a 6009 error). I've tried setting an unotelly UK DNS on the router, but no joy. Films won't open on mac/PC either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

alastair wrote: »
    It's worth mentioning that Now TV seems to be geo-locked now (only got the box on Friday, and no films are opening - all give a 6009 error). I've tried setting an unotelly UK DNS on the router, but no joy. Films won't open on mac/PC either.

Still working perfectly here with the Box and PC aswell :) (Balbriggan, VF eFibre)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

alastair wrote: »

Try logging out and back in to your nowtv account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Davy wrote: »
    Try logging out and back in to your nowtv account

Hmm - just noticed that I'd used a different account for the £15 deal - my month trail account is working fine, but can't get the other account to work, despite logging out and back in a few times. I've emailed them and asked that the subscription be transferred - we'll see how that goes down.

beauf wrote: »
    what's the exact name of that app?

Free version
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dayglows.vivid.lite

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Smash The House

Can you use skynews without changing router dns settings/with an Irish IP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Can you use skynews without changing router dns settings/with an Irish IP?

Yeah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Smash The House

Ok, bought one.

Delivery address just says
    PM******
    Parcel Motel 1A McKinney Road
    Newtownabbey
    Co Antrim
    BT364PE

No name though, do they put the billing name on or even without name will PM still put it through?

EDIT: Damn you OP! €11.94 was charged to my CC, not €11.89. I think I'll cancel it now, far too expensive :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 639 ✭✭✭chris1970

Anyone got dns settings for upc technicolour router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭sioda

Bought one too this price worth the punt

Brilliant bargain, watching the uspga live on cbs on ustvnow at the moment, cheers op

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 westside

JAMM222 wrote: »
    Brilliant bargain, watching the uspga live on cbs on ustvnow at the moment, cheers op

thanks for this - was going to bed, now looks like I am up for a while:)

Likewise!

Likewise!

Apparently they are showing premiership matches as well:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭meolwan

Collected mine from PM on Friday and bought the £15 deal last weekend. My better half thinks it is great with the movies for the next 6 months the 1st time ever that she likes a new gadget I got. So happy days
    Thanks OP for the heads up on this and to the OP for the 6 months movies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

Apparently they are showing premiership matches as well:-)

It's NBC that have the US rights to EPL games.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/7/29/4568642/2013-14-nbc-epl-tv-schedule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

Is there any extra charge for movies, apart from the £2.50 for the first six months, also is plex on App Store ?
    Nice little box for £10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

meathman0 wrote: »
    Is there any extra charge for movies, apart from the £2.50 for the first six months, also is plex on App Store ?
    Nice little box for £10.

Nope that's all you pay per month. And there is an app for Plex but it's around €4.49.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭JohnnyRoyal

Right , firstly Thanks OP and OP for £2.50 deal. Got mine Yesterday. Breeze to set up. Movies stream no bother. Plex set up no problem and streaming great aswell. Also, due to this post, now have UK Itunes account to get Now TV app for Ipad, a Parcel Motel account and learned all about Parcel Motel for my amazon buying, got trial account with Unotelly to test the foreign DNS servers, was able to change UPC router and got to download USTVNOW set up and Pandora (on Ipad). Cheers Everyone! :-)

Other things to note. While I could see the navi-x app, couldn't get it to work through the nowtv box.
    Could get Netflix channel working through (Other channels in plex) but don't have account to test.

Questions arisen, whats stopping me buying another box and logging in with same account to the box and then giving it to the parents for them to watch the films for 6 months? (assuming not online at same time)
    Any chance with automatic software updates Sky could block plex app or Dev mode completely?
    Lastly , how do you swtich the thing off? :-)

Rgds

JR

Questions arisen, whats stopping me buying another box and logging in with same account to the box and then giving it to the parents for them to watch the films for 6 months? (assuming not online at same time)

You can have up to 4 devices with Now TV on it and watch on two at the same time. See here.
    Any chance with automatic software updates Sky could block plex app or Dev mode completely?

Yes
    Lastly , how do you swtich the thing off? :-)

By unplugging it. :)

fdevine wrote: »
    It's NBC that have the US rights to EPL games.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/7/29/4568642/2013-14-nbc-epl-tv-schedule

i think NBC is on it as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭WIZWEB

Can confirm that Now TV accepts new free pass code after the last one runs out. Thanks again OP :)
    fdevine wrote: »
    FREE SKY SPORTS DAY PASSES

http://www1.skysports.com/cricket/ashes/huggity/1st-test 0 left
    http://www1.skysports.com/cricket/ashes/huggity/2nd-test few left
    http://www1.skysports.com/cricket/ashes/huggity/3rd-test

Either link will work, but more passes (600+) left on 3rd-test link

Select 'continue without facebook', go to 'find treasure'

Simple treasure hunt game. Find Ashes urns. Find three out of five and answer a question correctly on each urn, enter name & email (any one seems to work and isn't needed to claim the code)

Code is revealed on screen. Note the code and redeem on NowTV website.

Only one code can be reeemed at a time it seems but there is no indication that codes expire,

Clear cookies and go again.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

WIZWEB wrote: »
    Can confirm that Now TV accepts new free pass code after the last one runs out. Thanks again OP :)

I have one days free pass if someone needs it, i dont watch sport :) pm me if interested, first come, first served.

EDIT: And its gone

• Advertisement

meathman0 wrote: »
    Nice little box for £10.

No extra charge tho people have said the quality of the video is not as good as Netflix.

Plex can be "side loaded" - see page 1-ish.
    You'll need to load the Plex media server onto your PC mac or Linux machine. There's an app called PlayTo in the Roku store that's free and works with Android. Don't think there's an IOS solution right now - AFAIK Plex on IOS only recognises Apple TV not the NowTV box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

i think NBC is on it as well

All the free to view US channels are on it (ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, NBC, PBS) but the likes of Discovery etc. are subscription only.

I think the issue will be the amount of matches being shown on NBC itself.

"NBC itself will air 10 matches live on Saturday afternoons, while NBC Sports Network (soon-to-be rebranded as NBCSN) will air 57 matches on Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays. CNBC will chip in with two additional Sunday matches, while Telemundo and mun2 will handle Spanish-language broadcasts of 27 matches.

NBC will also make every game available via TV Everywhere (the NBC Sports Live Extra App)"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Cheers op, setup mine earlier, two beaming kids watching monster inc. its already paird for itself. Installed plex, can't find linke for the netflix plugin and youtube plugin tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭chopsey

Easy as pie, get Plex on it and then just drop the navi x plugin for Roku (google) into the folder, restart and off you go

i'm sure i've missed something, i thought i was some bit of a techie but, how do i drop the plugin into a folder? my only option is to replace delete or convert to cramfs? once plex is installed how do i then get to teh installation folders to drop in the plugin?

by the way thanks OP i tried to talk myself out of it for a couple of weeks but caved in and got one

The folders are on the server and not on the Roku. In windows right click the plex button in the bottom right and click "open plug ins folder", should be similar options for other OS's.

• Advertisement
Advertisement