Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Cycling Achievements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Managed to do 55k on Monday - Dundalk to Carlingford and back again. Done it in 2 hours and 17 mins and maintained an average speed of 23.5km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Only cycling for 3 months (never really cycled before but would be reasonably fit). In that time I moved house and had our first baby so I have been restricted to about 10 runs.

My first run was a 35km, second was about 55km and third was the lap of Laois 100km including 'the cut'. I done a few more 50-80km runs. Had our first child 3 weeks ago before doing 143km last weekend in 6 and a half hours. I was very proud of that achievement, especially only having about 3 hours sleep the last few nights!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭loinnsigh

Did my first century today, taking in both Sally Gap (eastbound) and Wicklow Gap (westbound), both for the first time. all total 104.7km, average speed 23km/h. Tough in spots but really enjoyed it. No sunburn, but my legs were on fire on the inside when I finished. The kids paddling pool came in handy as an ice bath of sorts. Feel a lot more ready for the Ring of Kerry now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

loinnsigh wrote: »
    Did my first century today, taking in both Sally Gap (eastbound) and Wicklow Gap (westbound), both for the first time. all total 104.7km, average speed 23km/h. Tough in spots but really enjoyed it. No sunburn, but my legs were on fire on the inside when I finished. The kids paddling pool came in handy as an ice bath of sorts. Feel a lot more ready for the Ring of Kerry now! :D

Fair play, you'll fly around the Ring i reckon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

In keeping with the general theme of the thread, I changed my handlebar tape for the first time ever this evening! \o/ Been the same stuff since I bought the bike in June 2009, check out the original colour, compared to the exposed bit:

206462.JPG

Cheers to Dave T in Joe Daly's for the friendly tips on how to change it.

• Advertisement

Manky:eek: i gave my handlebars a scrub with cif tonight - came up ok but they were no where near the state of yours!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Interesting thread Folks...

I started cycling about a year ago more less regularly on weekends and some evenings and since November I started commuting to work. This is now my every day activity and keeps my mental and physical health in better shape than when I was 15. My fitness level is still far from being excellent, but still a good bit better than last year, when it was at "Level 0".

Cycling gives me the feeling of freedom. Makes me happy, smiled and feeling good. Within the last 12 months I visited places I have never seen before, although they are all within 20-30 km radius from my house. It still happens, and even this week on my way from work, I cycled through roads I never new they exist.

Cycling changed the way I live and Bicycle is now my main form of transport. I still have to drive sometimes, but the score for this week is one of my best results so far:

Distance traveled by car: 3 km,
    Distance traveled by Bike: 503 km :).
    And that is in fact the longest distance I cycled in a single week. I really hope it will stay that way :).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,953 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I did my longest ever spin yesterday (including a bloody puncture!).

Distance:130.3kms
    Time: 4hrs 35mins
    Average Speed: 28.4 kph
    Carories:5,274.

Also managed to get a KOM along the way also.:eek:

Seweryn wrote: »
    Distance traveled by Bike: 503 km :).
    And that is in fact the longest distance I cycled in a single week
    That's very impressive and puts my 435kms last week in the shade! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

That's very impressive and puts my 435kms last week in the shade! :)
    Not at all sir. I never cycled 435km a week except my 503km last week, so if I covered 435km, it would have been my longest weekly distance ;).
    Congratulations and keep on going :).

What I am quite happy about is the fact that since November I rarely drive, even though I live 22km from my work place. And I like it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sav1980

I just started cycling a couple of months ago, and am slowly working my way up to longer distances. Have registered for the Ring of Kerry in July. Was on a Trek Hybrid til last week, but have finally invested in a KTM Strada 3000, took a bit of getting used to the new positions and the lightness of the bike but am starting to feel more confident on it now and will hopefully be able to go further and faster. I was able to do 31 miles in 2 hours 10 mins on the Hybrid, am looking forward to seeing how much faster / easier it will be on the racer this Sunday.

• Advertisement

Fastest cycle to date of 22.9km/ hr, 33.5km in 1hr 27min :)

Alos longest distance last weekend at the Tour de Conamara of 83km but planning on beating that this weekend with my first 100km spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Did my first cycle clipped in yesterday. Only 5km but I was just testing them out.
    Didn't fall over so thats a good start. It will take some getting used to though needing to clip out long before coming to a stop. They were not as easy to disconnect as I hoped. I had to try a few times to get them disconnected.

What sort did you get? I have Look Keo Easy and you just have to twist you foot a bit and you are out. I find them more difficult to clip into although if I don't get in first time I can now just keep pedalling and work my foot into it.

I need to practice stopping with them properly as well though. I normally unclip and then just let my foot drop down - I can 'just' touch the ground with my foot, however i can already see that I am damaging my shoe. I have been shown how to do it 'properly' but I just need to get out and practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

I have these
    Shimano 105 SL Pedals 5700

Ah im sure ill get used to them. They might get a bit easier when they are not as stiff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Hi all, this was my second week cycling to work, i do 4 days at 20miles per day with a day rest mid week, to let the ass recover!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 shayr

Started cycling 4 months ago and did 49.6 Km yesterday evening in 1hr:54m with average speed of 26km ph on my mountain bike with 1.5 slicks....signed up for a 100 K charity spin in July..even got listed on a Strava segment in 14th place :)

http://app.strava.com/rides/9868334

• Registered Users Posts: 14 clipless

Did my first solo 100k trip today. Stats: 102.2klm time 4:03:32 Average speed 24.9kph. Time excludes 15mins for food and 10mins for puncture :mad: Legs and ass are killing me :eek: Nice trip all the same:)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ck101

Started in March after 20 years on the couch, getting out for roughly 2 x 1hr or 1hr 20min and one two hour a week. Average speed has crept up to 28/30kmh from 20.

Recovery times are right down. When I started a 90min spin knocked me out for days.

The highlight of the last few weeks was a 250km 2 day spin with a group of friends. On the trip back we did 125km averaging approx 28km per hr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Gonna be cheeky here,
    First proper century today (100 miles)
    And done my first 200km as well.

Time was slow slow slow :P
    Lost my gloves, so hands are in agony.
    Arse is quite sore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Scuba_Scoper

A day for newbie achievements all round :D

Did my first 100km* today as well. Included 1500m of climbing. Quads are in ribbons but this beer in my hand is going down a treat.

*it was actually 99.3km but I was too wrecked to cycle around my back garden to make up the .7 of a km :D

http://app.strava.com/rides/9925833

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭nilhg

A day for newbie achievements all round :D

Did my first 100km* today as well. Included 1500m of climbing. Quads are in ribbons but this beer in my hand is going down a treat.

*it was actually 99.3km but I was too wrecked to cycle around my back garden to make up the .7 of a km :D

http://app.strava.com/rides/9925833

That's quite a way to do your first 100, chapeau.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭paulgalway

51 year old, Been cycling since end of March for the 1st time in 30yrs. Using an old Hybrid with 700 x 38C tyres.

Did the Galway - Moycullen - Spiddal - Galway route to-day in the rain. New total distance of just over 54Km, Avg speed only 17.8km/h however.

Found the hills just outside Moycullen to Spiddal a killer, hardest I have ever met. One guy went past me on a proper road bike, seemed to be pedaling with ease; looked impressive but demoralising at the same time.

Might do it in the opposite direction just til I get used to the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

paulgalway wrote: »
    guy went past me on a proper road bike seemed to be pedaling with ease; looked impressive but demoralising at the same time.
    I know exactly what you mean. There is only one solution - be that guy on the road bike!
    My average speeds have gone way up since I got mine (2nd hand). 2 reasons for this: Road bikes are more efficient; road bikes allow you to exercise better and therefore become fitter. On the last point, I felt my fitness "stalled" on my hybrid and the roadbike allowed me to get much fitter much faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

route66 wrote: »
    There is only one solution - be that guy on the road bike!

Yeah, except then you'll have to deal with being passed by fast people on MTBs and hybrids.

The real solution is to disconnect ones sense of self-worth and achievement from other people's performances. In all probability the faster rider is getting beaten in whatever higher level of mediocrity he participates in.

Cycling - everyone's a loser! Embrace the mediocrity!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

route66 wrote: »
    road bikes allow you to exercise better and therefore become fitter. On the last point, I felt my fitness "stalled" on my hybrid and the roadbike allowed me to get much fitter much faster.
    Is this really true? Surely you can put in the same level of effort on a high-nelly or a penny-farthing or whatever - and therefore get the same fitness kick out of it. You will of course be faster on a road bike, but does it really improve your fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Yep, I think so, you're going to get higher cadence on a road bike over longer distances, and higher average speeds, cerrrtainly worked for me when it came to knocking off lard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

ah feck it thought I was doing good until I started reading all these newbie achievements. I've a hybrid and only cycling since mid Feb and did 49.9km other day in 2hrs 2 mins. was delighted with myself cos it covered hills (mountains to me :D) around Sixmilebridge, Co. Clare which I wasn't able to do few weeks ago - had to get off and walk, pure embarrassment. doing a 150km over 2 days later in summer. ah well, gotta keep pushing so :eek:

edited to add - average speed of 22.2km, with a max of 40km.

Well done, esp on a hybrid. I had a hybrid this time last year and have since upgraded to a roadbike. Instantly i gained a couple of kms in speed :). I know all about pushing up hills too and still have to do it...stay away from woodcock hill in Cratloe! Your 50km is still faster than mine as well so you're not doing too bad and will get faster the more you do. What is the cycle you have planned for later in the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

I thought I took leave of my senses yesterday. After a chill few hours in Tayto
    Park with family I boarded my bike for a spin. Back of my mind was my 100k cherry to be popped. Forecast was a little dodgy but went on my way , almost 50k in , around balbriggan it started but bucket down, I was well drenched but not uncomfortable so kept motoring. I knew my way around on a map so headed home via walshestown not far from the naul (hillsville) but had to dismount on the way in. Hill just too steep. Kept going to rathbeale road and with 10k to go was well and truly miserable. Knackered, wet in every place possible,and Hungary and thirsty......just snailed my way home into a very hot and very long shower. Distance was 88k with a **** avg due to my walk up that hidden walshestown hill. Pb for distance but what a crap day to do it...better planning required next time out. Wife called off men in white coats she she saw me dragging my arse in the door. Strangely I want to go back out today but has decided this was a recovery day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Master.

Its a wild hunger you get after a long spin. I remember after going Dublin to Belfast i tried to eat a snickers and the back of my throat was hurting from my stomach wanting it!!
    This seems like the right thread to ask this in as the serious cyclists probably dont suffer with this but ive been doing 50-60k spins lately on the mountain bike and getting terrible sore arse. Is it better to have a rock hard saddle and your hole get used to it quicker or pad it out? My bike seat now is pretty wide with a quite a lot of give in it and i wouldnt mind swapping it out for something more roadish as i had a road bike before and cant remember feeling as sore as this!!
    What are yous all using? Eg padded pants, gel covers razor blades!!

Advertisement