Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldo McGregor CONFIRMED July 11 Vegas

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

So here's the fight card to date.

Jose Aldo vs. Conor McGregor – for featherweight title
    Robbie Lawler vs. Rory MacDonald – for welterweight title
    Dennis Bermudez vs. Jeremy Stephens
    John Hathaway vs. Gunnar Nelson
    Brandon Thatch vs. John Howard
    Alex Garcia vs. Mike Swick
    Matt Brown vs. Tim Means
    Henry Briones vs. Cody Garbrandt

I'd be expecting 4 more fights to be added. Seery/Holohan to be added too? I know Tim Elliot was wanting to fight Seery and there was a bit of a push to try get it on this card but talk has gone quiet since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

That's such a great card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Overeem has announced that the ufc are working on him vs JDS for the summer. Realistically it'll be put on UFC 190 in Brazil, but a man can dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭glass half full

Imagine this:

Woodley v Hendricks

Edgar v Mendes

These two fights would make great sense in an insurance capacity. If either of the title contenders drop-out, just push either of those up to fill the respective spots.

Martin Luther wasn't the only person to have a dream!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,613 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Imagine this:

Woodley v Hendricks

Edgar v Mendes
    Edgar is fighting Faber in May.
    Woodley is injured atm, but he's targeting Hendricks at 189.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Imagine this:

Woodley v Hendricks

Holloway v Mendes

Now that's more realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Scooper

Anyone here know the official word on UFC 189 weigh-ins? I know they're taking place in the MGM on the Friday(think I seen 4pm somewhere), but what's the story with tickets for the weigh-ins? Have seen it advertised as FREE, but do you still have to get tickets online at Fight Club or just turn up early on the day to gain entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Scooper

Also, would love to see Max Holloway added to this card. Hugely impressive performance last weekend.

Scooper wrote: »
    Anyone here know the official word on UFC 189 weigh-ins? I know they're taking place in the MGM on the Friday(think I seen 4pm somewhere), but what's the story with tickets for the weigh-ins? Have seen it advertised as FREE, but do you still have to get tickets online at Fight Club or just turn up early on the day to gain entry?

General consensus seem to be that it's free (non-ticketed) but for Fight Club members the Q&A session seems to require a ticket for you and another guest.

Scooper wrote: »

Usually just show up early. Will be confirmed closer to the time.

On another note, this would be a solid fight.
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/4/22/8471805/al-iaquinta-beneil-dariush-fancy-a-fight-against-each-other-in-july

• Advertisement

Yes please. I'd love Dariush and Iaquinta. Would be a great contest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

dulux99 wrote: »
    He's the more skilled boxer and arguably has better BJJ.

Diaz while his hands are effective has terrible Boxing technique, he's no footwork and doesn't put anything into his punches, it's all arm punching

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

I wonder if JDS v Overeem is a possibility given that Rick Story vs Erick Silva has been announced as the headliner for TUF Brasil Finale.

That would send this card over the top.

I've a few in bold that I think would be brilliant additions to this card... I wonder how wrong I'll be. :pac:

Jose Aldo vs. Conor McGregor – for featherweight title
    Robbie Lawler vs. Rory MacDonald – for welterweight title
    Junior Dos Santos vs. Alistair Overeem
    Sarah McMann vs. Cat Zingano
    Beneil Dariush vs. Al Iaquinta

Dennis Bermudez vs. Jeremy Stephens
    John Hathaway vs. Gunnar Nelson
    Brandon Thatch vs. John Howard
    Alex Garcia vs. Mike Swick
    Matt Brown vs. Tim Means
    Henry Briones vs. Cody Garbrandt
    Neil Seery vs. Timothy Elliot

That_Guy wrote: »
    I wonder if JDS v Overeem is a possibility given that Rick Story vs Erick Silva has been announced as the headliner for TUF Brasil Finale.
    UFC 190 is in Brazil too. I'd expect JDS to be on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Holloway v Mendes added to the card!

Got cha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Holloway v Mendes added to the card!

Got cha.

I was waiting like a dope for some image to load haha compleatly off topic I now know what your usernames from, just started watching Friday night lights it's unreal!

Mellor wrote: »
    UFC 190 is in Brazil too. I'd expect JDS to be on that one.

Shhhhh.

And damn you Tim Riggins!

Fox Sports picked up the 'The Nororious ' documentary.
    Apart from being good for Conor's profile, its really good news for the guys behind producing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Panic E

Mellor wrote: »
    Fox Sports picked up the 'The Nororious ' documentary.
    Apart from being good for Conor's profile, its really good news for the guys behind producing it.

Thats true. I just got around to watching the last 2 episodes, it was a good production in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Wasn't Conor an executive producer too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭OverUnderP4P

Can somebody PM me who was selling 2 tickets for the fight as ive been let with tickets and have everything else booked . cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Aldo to benefit from the trip to Dublin .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

This situation with Cormier got me thinking about the likelihood of McGregor getting another title if he loses (I expect him to win) against Aldo.

Aldo has said that he's announcing something after the fight, win or lose. The only things it could be are that he's moving to another weight class or he's retiring.

So if Cormier gets a shot at a vacant title when he has just lost a title fight then surely McGregor would too if the Aldo fight is any way close. The precedent was already set with Hendricks, this Cormier situation really cements it as a standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Paul.k.b.90

If Conor loses and Aldo then retires and if Edgar beats Faber the only fight I can see the UFC doing for the vacant belt is Edgar Vs Mendes.

So if Cormier gets a shot at a vacant title when he has just lost a title fight then surely McGregor would too if the Aldo fight is any way close. The precedent was already set with Hendricks, this Cormier situation really cements it as a standard.
    IF Aldo vacates or retires after the fight then the logical title fight would be
    Edgar (assuming he wins) vrs Mendes or Conor (depending on how close 189 is)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Aldo is more likely to move up to LW so he doesnt have to make the tough weight cuts anymore. I really cant see Conor getting a title shot right after, Mendes and Edgar surely are next in line. Some of the reasons DC is getting it is also because hes was already due to fight Bader in June so his training camp would be either underway or just starting. Also Gus recently got destroyed but Rumble, theres nothing to suggest a rematch with them would be any different. Rumble vs DC hasnt been done and it will sell so its a win win for the UFC. Then off the back of that you have Gus vs the loser or possibly vs Jones again to decide who challenges for the belt, it gives the UFC loads of options in the division.

If Conor loses and Aldo then retires and if Edgar beats Faber the only fight I can see the UFC doing for the vacant belt is Edgar Vs Mendes.

That's a lot of 'ifs'. Mainly though, there isn't a hope of Aldo retiring yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Can somebody PM me who was selling 2 tickets for the fight as ive been let with tickets and have everything else booked . cheers

I sold on eBay last week for 700 pair of 244dollar tix.

Another guy UK based I think looking for 999.99 but has said he'll accept 700 after I low balled him to check market value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

That's a lot of 'ifs'. Mainly though, there isn't a hope of Aldo retiring yet.

There's a good chance of him moving to the lightweight division though, as per the "announcement" that he intends to make.

I sold on eBay last week for 700 pair of 244dollar tix.

Another guy UK based I think looking for 999.99 but has said he'll accept 700 after I low balled him to check market value

700euro and u only paid 400, crazy that is. i thought somebody was selling them face value. would never give that much , costing a bomb as it is . thanks

• Advertisement

There's a good chance of him moving to the lightweight division though, as per the "announcement" that he intends to make.

He might, but I don't think he will. You often hear of people talking about moving divisions but a small fraction actually act on it. I think he'll play it safe and stay at 145.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I didn't think it was sold out?

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I didn't think it was sold out?

It's not. Unless the poster is looking for the cheaper tickets which are all shaded out on Ticketmaster.

Have you tried stubhub or anything like that?

2 x 244 dollar tix came to 462 euro with booking fees etc.

Is it not sold out? What's the cheapest tix ticketmaster are offering at face? Stub hub was asking 1100-1400 for a pair of 244 tix when I checked last week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Is it not sold out? What's the cheapest tix ticketmaster are offering at face? Stub hub was asking 1100-1400 for a pair of 244 tix when I checked last week

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/2E004E71A6C31D8E

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Won't be an issue for some close to Conor

If 187 is the cursed card, 189 is the forgotten one.

TUF finale the next day has Henderson vs Johnson and now Waterson vs Magana.

July 15th has Mir vs Duffee.

Really expected a few more fights announced this week but nothing.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    If 187 is the cursed card, 189 is the forgotten one.

TUF finale the next day has Henderson vs Johnson and now Waterson vs Magana.

July 15th has Mir vs Duffee.

Really expected a few more fights announced this week but nothing.

Yeah, hopefully with seeing how 187 is falling apart it'll spur the UFC on to add some more proper blockbusters to this card. Obviously the main and Co main are great, but below that, it's only alright to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Calvin harris playing hakkasan day before the fight if anyone is interested, dropkick murphy's are doing the free gig in freemonth street if anyone is interested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

but1er wrote: »
    Calvin harris playing hakkasan day before the fight if anyone is interested, dropkick murphy's are doing the free gig in freemonth street if anyone is interested

Where did you see the info on dropkicks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Deadly, roll up to freemonth ! I see UFC have an event down there on Friday also, meet fighters or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

but1er wrote: »

Irish lad Fergie (former hard house now EDM head) is headlining the Saturday night after the fight, was talkin to'em the other week & put'em wide to it....Hakkasan had nothing in for that weekend until lately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Conor must be beasting the prep as hes keeping a low profile and off social media in the main. Its crazy to think we have someone who belongs at this elite level and is on the precipice of something so great.

the second the bell goes they will both go forward, i can see Conor hurting him early. Either he will finish him in the first 2 rounds, or Aldo will go into defence mode after feeling Conors power and just try hang on for the 5 rounds and get decisioned by Conor.
    More than likely I can see Conor KO'ing him. He hits too hard and Aldo gets hit a lot.
    Look at most of his fights in the UFC.
    Conor will clip him on the chin or the temple and it will be lights out for Aldo.

AndTheNew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

I personally can't see Aldo taking this fight, I'd almost bet my house on it that he will pull out a week or two before the fight, and Conor will probably eventually move up to 155 having never fought Aldo, hope to god I'm wrong though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

eurokev wrote: »
    I personally can't see Aldo taking this fight, I'd almost bet my house on it that he will pull out a week or two before the fight, and Conor will probably eventually move up to 155 having never fought Aldo, hope to god I'm wrong though

What would make ye think that
    It's too big s pay day for Aldo to miss regardless of the outcome

If you actually believe Jose Aldo is terrified of Conor then you're delusional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Im going for controversial Draw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Panic E

I think that Conor can win it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement