Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Track Laying in IFSC

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

andrewh5 wrote: »
    Absolutely. Look at the farce that is the M50 for another example. Any other country -especially Germany - would have been working on it 24/7 to get it completed quickly.

... :confused:

They ARE working on it 24/7. There is no way to complete it faster leaving two lanes open during rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

Honestly, you would be mad to park any cars on those streets for the day and expect them to not have their windows smashed in by the end.

there's such a heavy garda presence around the area that its actually not that bad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Honestly, you would be mad to park any cars on those streets for the day and expect them to not have their windows smashed in by the end.
    I park there daily since 2004, I bought my car brand new in 2007, before that had a three year old car and never once have I had any issues with the security of it.

Great to see that stereotyping is alive and well :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

loyatemu wrote: »
    I suppose it depends on whether the Point-bound trams also divert into connolly. Its been suggested on here that they will eventually run the service as Tallaght-Connolly, and Citywest-Point (with the latter not serving Connolly).

One stop in between CHQ and Mayor Square would have been sufficient though.

My understanding is that trams will have either Connolly or The Point (without Connolly) as destinations.

While CHQ and Mayor SQ are relatively close together (when compared with other stops on the line), they are stops that will be in demand. CHQ for the Abbey and it also convenient for those who want to cross to the south quays via the footbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

dowlingm wrote: »
    Except the running costs - i.e. personnel - are the costs that always matter!

Any system used will have running costs.

Will the new Abbey theatre have a car park?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

24 hour garda presence plus backup during the day, those plainclothes guys are there every day.

Possibly one of the safest places in the city to park your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

24 hour garda presence plus backup during the day, those plainclothes guys are there every day.

All to what end ?

To maintain public order ?

To protect private Cars ?

To satisfy Media interest ?

Why exactly is this Garda presence deemed necessary in this SMALL enclave of individuality ?
    What will be the effects of Department of Justice Garda funding alterations on this "Operation" ?

Will there be an IFSC as we currently define it when Luas opens for business in 2010 ?
    Will we have enough Electricity to propel the Trams in 2010 ?

Questions,Questions,Questions.......:o

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Blackjack

AlekSmart wrote: »
    All to what end ?

To maintain public order ?

To protect private Cars ?

To satisfy Media interest ?

Why exactly is this Garda presence deemed necessary in this SMALL enclave of individuality ?
    What will be the effects of Department of Justice Garda funding alterations on this "Operation" ?

Will there be an IFSC as we currently define it when Luas opens for business in 2010 ?
    Will we have enough Electricity to propel the Trams in 2010 ?

Questions,Questions,Questions.......:o

Garda presence is probably more to do with the Scumbags that were shooting each other in Broad daylight round that area a few years back.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Luas A1 = totally essential.

We're creating a densely built area down there. Most free parking will undoubtedly disappear over the next few years as the trend is moving away from that and allowing lots of car access to the area isn't justifiable with the Luas and the Docklands DART station on the way. As it is, the amount of car access the area will have post-A1 along the track right of way is still far too high. I would allow absolutely no driving in the central Mayor St corridor by 2015.

As for the messing about with rail that gets lifted again and again, not sure what's going on here - but the contractor bears the cost of correcting errors anyway. No public cost. Also the slow speed the line is constructed at is due to the sensitive nature of the area, with all the banks and their data requirements - there has to be absolutely zero down time. It would take just as long anywhere else - it's nothing to do with Ireland, it's a bank thing, and their hatred for any kind of disruption, recession or no.

As for buses, this is laughable. I remember a few years ago before work began the banks wanted them to extend the line using buses running on overhead electric lines. Nonsense. So people are expected to get off at Connolly and change to a new mode just to complete the last 400 metres of their journey? Who's gonna do that? Even with integrated ticketing, there's the time wastage factor.

There's a history of city centre interests complaining about the disruption caused by building projects, only to welcome the service with open arms afterwards. I'm thinking of Jervis and Harcourt St in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

woodseb wrote: »
    the first stop will be outside CHQ so that'll 3 stops within a few 100m of each other. it'll will be quicker for anybody to get off at busaras and walk to a lot of the ifsc

It'll fit in perfectly with the rest of the Red Line then. I used to use it, but found that buses are far quicker. Seems to be a stop every 100m on that line

• Advertisement
Advertisement