Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why Saloon cars? – I don’t get it

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Crap.
    Sure it is. I am just saying what I hear from general public and I am still way below that age, as well as all my friends driving these ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Slightly OT but a car wash in Oranmore charges €7 for hatches and €8 for saloons !

(don't know about estates)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

gyppo wrote: »
    Some estate designs just seem to work...

I agree, a lot of the newer cars look better in estate form these days I think than what they do in saloon, I think these 3 look great, the Avensis in garda livery looks super.

I'm biased on the Megane as there's one in the household, but there's also a Vectra saloon and an Octavia so I'd consider I'm in a good position to comment because of current vehicles owned, and that it's not just because I'm getting old and sensible.

2ToyotaAvensisEstate.jpg

2012-Hyundai-i40-Side-View-4.jpg

scene-style-megane-estate.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I figured out why I don't see the point of saloon cars a while back: they are designed for trips to the golf club, and I don't play golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

In fairness the arguement for saloons looking better than hatchbacks is kinda lost when you compare the Mondeo saloon to the hatchback, the saloon is pig ugly. Some arse on the saloon too..:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

166man wrote: »
    In fairness the arguement for saloons looking better than hatchbacks is kinda lost when you compare the Mondeo saloon to the hatchback, the saloon is pig ugly. Some arse on the saloon too..:D

It's also longer than the Estate version - something I found out last year when backing a Mondeo Saloon up towards a wall, lining up the wing mirrors to the Mondeo Esate already parked there. Saloon bumper meets wall whereas the Estate had a small gap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

166man wrote: »
    In fairness the arguement for saloons looking better than hatchbacks is kinda lost ....:D

I would have thought an alfa fan wouldn't have been so easy with the sweeping generalisations.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

Just thought about these:
    tumblr_ll63cwCcg91qapwfro1_500.jpg

Think they had an aeordynamic advantage over the saloon version.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

mb1725 wrote: »
    Just thought about these:
    tumblr_ll63cwCcg91qapwfro1_500.jpg

Think they had an aeordynamic advantage over the saloon version.

Don't think they did - they never won anything. It was more a marketing exercise and they swiftly moved to the (horrible looking) saloons after a season or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

R.O.R wrote: »
    Don't think they did - they never won anything. It was more a marketing exercise and they swiftly moved to the (horrible looking) saloons after a season or two.

Partly true, in 1994 it was proven in wind tunnel tests by TWR that the estate car was more aerodynamic than the saloon version. Not just that, it offered more downforce due to the long, flat roof over the saloon. They stopped racing it in 95 when the rule change allowed rear wings, making the estates redundant as their advantages were lost.

• Advertisement
Advertisement