Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why Saloon cars? – I don’t get it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭thats not gone well

i am genuinely surprised no one pointed this out yet,

saloon superb with all the practicality of a hatch/estate :pac::cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

I've owned all of them over the years, saloon, hatch, estate.

In an ideal world, if I had a choice I'd only drive a saloon.

Better handling, better looking, lower road noise, less rattles, warmer, keeps boot smells in the boot.

Having said that, I find a saloon is only ok if you have two cars about the house and one is hatch/MPV, most people need a hatchback/MPV about the house these days for transporting the odd bulky item. You really can't beat an MPV as an all round transporter if you're over da need for speed thing. (e.g. Ford reckon half of about half of all compact MPV buyers are couples with no children at home). An estate car is also a great jack of all trades (but master of none).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭mondeo

The world has gone very conservative, saloons seem more conservative looking which goes in tune with who the buyers are even if they are not as practical as a hatchback. I personaly prefer saloons as I like the lines of the rear as opposed to hatchbacks. Everytime I think of hatches I think of elderly people packing the shopping or young mothers. Great if you want to pick up the new fridge from Harvery Normans or a coffee table.

Another thing I don't know why people associate hatches with sportiness as I dont see anything sporty about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Estates are just ugly, like a saloon with a bit strapped on its back end. Hard to park and cause bother for others as our parking areas are extreamly small. This is just my opinion and what I noticed. hey always remind me of old Spielberg films from the 80s where small town America seemed to always drive estates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Estates are just ugly.
    I don't agree.

I happened to be in a Kia Cee'd estate this evening and found it to be very attractive and well proportioned.

Not for me but one of my favourite estates on the road at the minute

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

CiniO wrote: »
    Through all car which I had so far (there was more that 10) all were hatchbacks.
    Only my last one is saloon. It looks good, is OK for everyday use, but even though it's a quite big saloon (mazda 6) when I wanted to transport a washing machine, I had to borrow my dad's opel corsa hatchback as it didn't fit my mazda, but easily fitted his corsa.

PS - I think personally that most estates looks ugly.

For example this one:
    37156_renault_laguna_2551.jpg

waits for rexton whamayjaysus its called

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

mondeo wrote: »

Another thing I don't know why people associate hatches with sportiness as I dont see anything sporty about them.

volkswagen-scirocco-r-20-05-09.jpg

Civic-Type-R-Mugen_1508425c.jpg

595x491_FocusRS.jpg

renault-megane-renault-sport-cup-cup-trophee-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Estates are just ugly, like a saloon with a bit strapped on its back end.

Exhibit A your Honour.....

honda_accord_2_2_i_ctdi_sport_estate_5d_92986075292135182.jpg

And Exhibit B

m1by1kqbna83_480.jpg

However, on the flipside there is the likes of this baby....

alfa159-sportwagon-ti-01a-thumb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

that's the thing, the ones people are find attractive are the ones that look more saloon or hatchback than Estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,571 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I think it's an image thing in Ireland. The saloon gives off the 'company car, bank manager, civil servant' image that people (who actually don't have these jobs) here strive for. Probably a spill over from the eighties.

Usually though, more affluent families go for expensive, reliable estates that they keep for years as they know they have money and taste and they don't really care what people think of them.

There, hit the nail on the head, the thread can be closed now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

whippet wrote: »
    actually the OPs argument is total nonsense really ... it makes no sense .. it's like saying that all mens pants should be like snickers workwear pants .. they do the job required so why bother with denims, slacks, chinos etc ...

I have had four cars in my lifetime ... all different and all for reasons that suited my lifestyle at the time.

a) small 3 door hatch back - as a novice driver, needed small engined, reliable cheap to run / insure starter car

b) old BMW coupe - as a young fella, earning a few quid more, quick, somewhat flash two door 'sports' car .. how little did I know then !!

c) MKV GTi - 5 door, small family, wanted quick, reliable car which could accommodate a young child

d) Skoda Superb Estate - larger family, dogs, more luggage, longer hours in the car, driving to south of france for holidays etc ...........

4 totally different cars that all did / do a job for me at different stages of my life. While I have the practical, boring estate now .. little does the missus know that there is a totally unpractical weekend car being planned for which will not accommodate a childseat and the dog will have to ride shotgun with me !!! just haven't decided just yet what car it will be !!

Bang on. I'm the more or less the same, having had eight cars in just over 20 years' driving. Your motoring needs change as your life changes. I've gone from the pocket rocket (early 90s Clio), to an ST-182 Celica when I had a few more bob (and no wife/kids), a Mark IV Golf (wife and 1 kid), E46 saloon (2nd kid) through to the current 7-seater Qashqai (3rd kid). The most practical is the current one, with several trips to Spain in one, it's fantastic for the amount of stuff you can jam in. The best drive was, however, the BMW. No question.

I do like saloons, and did have an aversion to Estates when I started driving, but nowadays there are some lovely looking ones around (from the asperational M5 Touring, or the RS6). At my stage in life, unless I attain the position of being able to run two cars, I have to choose practicality first so the saloon will have to yield to cars with a big door at the back :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

V Eight wrote: »
    Some really sound points against Estates. However not too many reasons as to why saloons are so popular other than looks. I think the saloon concept will be history in 4 to 5 years time. Manufactures will be looking for economy, practicality, innovation and the trends in Europe will dictate the body shapes of the future; it won’t be saloons (Anyone wanna bet?)...

Looks will always be important though.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭V Eight

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I think it's an image thing in Ireland. The saloon gives off the 'company car, bank manager, civil servant' image that people (who actually don't have these jobs) here strive for. Probably a spill over from the eighties.

Usually though, more affluent families go for expensive, reliable estates that they keep for years as they know they have money and taste and they don't really care what people think of them.

There, hit the nail on the head, the thread can be closed now.

A lot of wise words..think you pretty much summed it up...strange country we live in......

Considering that many people don't need the extra space of an estate, or a hatch back and the saloon is the best looking (usually) then its perfectly fine for people to pick the one the like the look of best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Dutchie wrote: »
    I think the majority of Saloons look better than their estate stablemates.
    Having said that I think the A4 avant looks much better than the saloon.

PS It's mine!

I agree with you. However, heres another car that looks much better as an estate too...
    Some estate designs just seem to work...

citc51.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,571 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

BostonB wrote: »
    and the saloon is the best looking

This is the case a lot of times. But, people of wealth, style, class and culture with creativity know that the estates are simply practically and aesthetically better.

Kinda of a rare best though...

John_Rambo wrote: »
    This is the case a lot of times. But, people of wealth, style, class and culture with creativity know that the estates are simply practically and aesthetically better.

I see what you mean

http://www.modifiedcars.com/cars/27160/modified-vauxhall-astra-estate-2001-pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

66DF257D922D4F5893CDEBE3D5BDEEB9-0000323155-0002712490-00800L-7B5E40947C6949F2B6E36A945EDE834B.jpg

Nice wagon! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

mike65 wrote: »
    they also might suggest you are a farmer.
    Oh yeah, and if you drive a Benz, you are over 65 ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I bought an Estate because I have a Dog.

But after discovering all the other practical stuff I wouldnt go back, mainly if your stuck you can stick down the back seats and you have a flat bed :D

Think my next estate will be a 5 Series or a Mercedes E Class.

Hatchback/Saloon wouldn't be for me anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Seweryn wrote: »

Thats pretty much an Irish thing I believe.

Just like Audi being a 'Premium' brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I bought an Estate because I have a Dog.

But after discovering all the other practical stuff I wouldnt go back, mainly if your stuck you can stick down the back seats and you have a flat bed :D

Think my next estate will be a 5 Series or a Mercedes E Class.

Hatchback/Saloon wouldn't be for me anymore.
    The loading capacity and practicality of an E-Class is excellent (competitors have slightly smaller boots, but still OK). The other great thing about them is the self leveling suspension (even 30-year old ones have that). And you can comfortably spend a night in it, as the seats fold flat. Not all estates can do that simple trick ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

I prefer the estates to the saloons are they are soooo much handier. I drove hatchbacks for years. When about to change car a few years ago, I tried a Passat saloon as I use to really like its design ... It took me less than a weekend to realise it'd be a terrible mistake with our "outdoorsy" life-style, needing to carry equipment around (not golf clubs :p LOL).

It's surely a question of personal taste. But I think the proportion of estates being so low in Ireland compared to the rest of Europe is also due largely to the fact that people were busy buying 4x4 and crewcabs. There are definitely more of the latter here than in the rest of Europe.

V

ValerieR wrote: »
    ............. and crewcabs...............

Could have a thread about them :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

Seweryn wrote: »

Crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭maidhc

The Mk2 Focus saloon was the best looking of that model, and I think it sold in far bigger number than its Astra stablemate of Jetta. Likewise the Corolla is far more paletable and substantial looking than the Auris, and I suspect sells in decent numbers as a result. I suspect resale is better on saloons too due to their being a decent secondhand taxi market for the.

One thing that is odd though, is the saloon is extra in the Focus, but the hatch costs more with the mondeo.

Further, I can't see if there is so little demand for saloons why the A4, 3 Series, Passat, 508, and Avensis don't offer hatchback alternatives, although some will argue this is a dying segment anyway. If we look across the pond though, saloons rule, so it isn't an Irish thing.

Personally I like estates, but many don't due to they being associated with dogs, farmers, vans and generic utilitarianism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

5670330104_f89a127bf5_b.jpg

These are getting more popular now, used to be all saloons.

Advertisement