Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

American Eagle (Clothing)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,031 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I do a lot of shopping online.

But never once have I bought something (bar AE.com) and they've indicated the "original value" of the product on the shipping label, as opposed to what I paid.

Let's be fair.. on Bargain Alerts, we rarely pay what the product is worth. We buy products on special.. but not once have I seen a higher price indicated on the shipping invoice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭Murilloinf

Any codes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Thats crazy, I always thought went importing you pay tax on the price YOU paid not the value of the good. Learn something new every day!

Yup, and that's the annoying thing. AE are interpreting the "value" as the sticker value and not the current value (ie: it's value as part of the discounted deal - what you actually paid for).
    basquille wrote: »
    I do a lot of shopping online.

But never once have I bought something (bar AE.com) and they've indicated the "original value" of the product on the shipping label, as opposed to what I paid.

Let's be fair.. on Bargain Alerts, we rarely pay what the product is worth. We buy products on special.. but not once have I seen a higher price indicated on the shipping invoice.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending AE's decision, just explaining it! I have had other online retailers do the same and in other cases, had the cost of shipping added into the overall declaration!

AE are just being over-cautious in their approach to customs declarations. Whoever gave them their legal advice in relation to customs when they first set up their international shipping process merely interpreted this way and/or felt it safer for the company to declare the sticker value. I'm sure if enough people complained, they might re-examine their process (it's not like they are gaining anything from the existing practice).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

I sent them an email last week asking to explain - no reply yet

k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

karltimber wrote: »
    I sent them an email last week asking to explain - no reply yet

k

Don't expect any level of intelligent communication. If you mentioned one of their automated response trigger words such as "customs"; you'll most likely get the stock copypasta response for customs enquiries etc.

Woeful customer service in my experience (5 emails/3 calls), as referenced in the correspondence I have quoted a few pages back.

• Advertisement

consultech wrote: »
    Don't expect any level of intelligent communication. If you mentioned one of their automated response trigger words such as "customs"; you'll most likely get the stock copypasta response for customs enquiries etc.

Woeful customer service in my experience (5 emails/3 calls), as referenced in the correspondence I have quoted a few pages back.
    Agreed!

My experience with their customer service!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

Spent €120 on clothing with American Eagle which included shipping. Was delivered today with a hefty €70 VAT Charge.

Rang up customs who said it was correct & american eagle stated the full value and not the sale value. They wouldn't reduce the VAT to the (in my opinion) correct value.

So I refused the parcel & it's on its way back! Rang up AE who said they would offer a full refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Spent €120 on clothing with American Eagle which included shipping. Was delivered today with a hefty €70 VAT Charge.

Rang up customs who said it was correct & american eagle stated the full value and not the sale value. They wouldn't reduce the VAT to the (in my opinion) correct value.

So I refused the parcel & it's on its way back! Rang up AE who said they would offer a full refund.

The return shipping costs will most likely be deducted from that btw. You were probably better off taking the hit if it's gonna cost you $50 or $100 out of principle for clothes you're never gonna get to wear.

By charging you €70 VAT+Customs; Customs are basically saying you're order was worth approx €210 pre-discount (the two combined come in and around 30-33% I think). Seems a bit excessive alright. They probably shouldn't be charging VAT on a hypothetical pre-discount amount, not sure about the customs fees though.

When ordering I made sure it was under the €150 mark so I wouldn't get charged customs but ae declare pre sale value.

I rang up AE and asked them why and the lady got really confused. Got a call back from a supervisor who said I would receive a full refund including shipping as it was american eagles fault.

My brother is heading over in February so will just get him to bring the stuff back. I wish customs would have some cope on. I understand it's not there fault to begin with. But I emailed them the invoice & said I was happy to pay the correct amount.

When ordering I made sure it was under the €150 mark so I wouldn't get charged customs but ae declare pre sale value.
    Where's you get this €150 mark from? :confused:

Anything over the value of €22 is liable.

• Advertisement

Anything over €22 is liable for Vat anything over €150 is liable for Customs & VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 5 middleofhere

hey just wondering does anyone know what you do if you place an order with AE but realise afterwards that you mixed up the billing and shipping address, so the name on the credit card won't matach the billing address?

any help would be great

thanks

I'd give them a ring. Can't see it being a problem.

thanks, i sent an e-mail to them, you think that will suffice?

I imagine your order will be pulled for the security check -pretty much all international orders are.

You need to fax them your credit card statement or id & front of credit card.

I would ring them saying you mixed the addresses up. It would probably be quicker.

thats brilliant, thanks for the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Out Of Order

consultech wrote: »
    Update on this:
    Absolute joke to deal with. AE have basically cancelled the half of my order that was discounted the most, dispatching the most expensive items that are "in stock". They now want me to re-order the 4 cancelled items at full-price, and pay another $50 for shipping too. All this despite having taken the full total for my original order. They claim this is only a "pre-authorization", and that I will be refunded the difference "once the order ships". The order shipped 3 days ago, and I've heard nothing.
    Rang my mate earlier whom I told about this offer too, and they're doing something very similar to him.
    Avoid at all costs, their "sales" are tantamount to a scam.

I placed an order around this time too and the opposite happened.
    They cancelled one item but it was the more expensive of a buy-one get another at 50% off offer.

I was a fairly small package and came in a blue plastic bag, and avoided customs. I've noticed this tends to avoid customs but bigger orders come in a cardboard box and I've always been stung for them.

It included a $10 money card which expires on the 23rd. I won't be using it so the first to PM me gets it.

how many items did you order? i'd say the bulkier the items (like hoodies and stuff) the more likely to be stung

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Any codes guys? Please and thankyou

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Out Of Order

how many items did you order? i'd say the bulkier the items (like hoodies and stuff) the more likely to be stung

Five, a couple of shirts, t-shirts, and a hat.
    Yeah, that's how I've found it anyway.

• Advertisement

Just made my first order with them, can you guys let me know the odds of VAT catching me. It's a bulky enough order, t-shirt, 'sweater', shirt, scarf and a hoodie. $159 all inclusive. Am I doomed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

BJC wrote: »
    Just made my first order with them, can you guys let me know the odds of VAT catching me. It's a bulky enough order, t-shirt, 'sweater', shirt, scarf and a hoodie. $159 all inclusive. Am I doomed?

Yes in my experience. I have never escaped the charges using AE.

WellyJ wrote: »
    Yes in my experience. I have never escaped the charges using AE.

Dang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Any recent discount codes lads? Looking to put in a big enough order soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ndubz

Right guys, I buy american eagle meself and it is good quality clothing, and better priced in the states or online instead of these shops that are popping up everywhere selling AE A&F etc.

Customs, in all the stuff i've bought online, i've only ever been caught for customs twice, once was with AE.COM and another time AMAZON. What I use mostly for online shopping is eBay. Pretty good POWERsellers on there that are basically like online stores, but selling thru eBay. The beauty of eBay is, ya can communicate with your sellers, they all send USPS, but I always ask them to put the VALUE really low and declare as GIFT. It works, and one of you guys said about FEDEX, yeah your right, if ya get shipped with them, your gonna pay customs. Just some advice guys, and stuff on eBay is generally cheaper too, just look for top rated sellers with cheap shipping

FOR PEOPLE who want an all year GREAT bargain, I know this seller/store on eBay that has very good quality clothing all year round (BIG BRANDS) for knock off pricing, now it is usually auction, but ya always get the stuff for a song, the great thing is too, the seller usually waits around 2 weeks for payment, so ya can buy loadsa stuff and combine shipping, except for tommy hilfiger, they sued eBay two years ago as they are doing a big EUROPEAN expansion and dont want their american stuff shipped here.

The seller is siterocks here is a link here you can also find them by searching by seller. http://shop.ebay.com/siterocks/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭TT09

ndubz wrote: »
    The seller is siterocks here is a link here you can also find them by searching by seller. http://shop.ebay.com/siterocks/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

this seller says ATTENTION INTERNATIONAL CUSTOMERS: WE CAN NOT MARK GIFT OR FALSE VALUES ON CUSTOMS FORMS SO PLEASE DO NOT ASK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭cson

Man that sounds way too much like a sales pitch to me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

cson wrote: »
    Man that sounds way too much like a sales pitch to me :rolleyes:

Yeah, the RANDOM use of caps combined with irrelevant DETAILS about lawsuits AND informal, yet well crafted, RECOMMENDATIONS makes it a bit obvious. If ya know what I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭Telgere

34198641 15%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

Telgere wrote: »
    34198641 15%

Do they deliver from AE.com to ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Do they deliver from AE.com to ireland?

They do but you will more than likely be done for duty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭djdunny

Fizman wrote: »
    Any recent discount codes lads? Looking to put in a big enough order soon.

or you could wait till i go to vegas in november :)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭meboloxitis

I love AE clothes but I like many other boardsies got stung with customs duty :mad:

There are however a few seleers on us ebay who have a hugh range of AE clothes & will post to Ireland at a much better rate.
    AE shipping $50 is a joke.

Also they tend to agree to post as gift & I got away without paying the vat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ndubz

Yeah, the RANDOM use of caps combined with irrelevant DETAILS about lawsuits AND informal, yet well crafted, RECOMMENDATIONS makes it a bit obvious. If ya know what I mean.

Im a journalism/pr student, its in me nature, lol. I acctually don't care, didn't know they'd stopped doing that, but i think they sell good stuff and ya usually get a load of real polo ralph lauren stuff cheap. Just given real advice with real info guys, no need to attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dmck

AE shipping $50 is a joke.

I ordered some stuff last week, shipping went down to 7$ when i went to checkout, i thought it would not ship but got the "package shipped" email last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Kingkong

Double check your invoice, I seen the 7 dollar thing but its actually 50 dollars postage when you get the email confirmation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dmck

Kingkong wrote: »
    Double check your invoice, I seen the 7 dollar thing but its actually 50 dollars postage when you get the email confirmation

I knew it was too good to be true, still haven’t got a confirmation from them but I noticed the money hasn’t left my account yet so i suspect it will follow shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭djdunny

does anyone know if its possible to get stuff delivered to a hotel in the states.

Im going over to vegas in november and was thinking that if i order my stuff online and have it delivered to the hotel im staying at and then bring it home with me.

removing all the tags of course :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Doodah7

djdunny wrote: »
    does anyone know if its possible to get stuff delivered to a hotel in the states.

Im going over to vegas in november and was thinking that if i order my stuff online and have it delivered to the hotel im staying at and then bring it home with me.

removing all the tags of course :)

Surely there is an actual AE shop in Las Vegas where you could just buy the stuff yourself and cut out all the messing?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭anthonymax

There is an American Eagle in Las Vegas,in the outdoors shopping mall,sorry can't remember the name of it,think it's the only outdoors mall in Las Vegas though. If I remember correctly it's beside or close to the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Get In There

For anybody that may be interested, I found an active discount code that gave me 20% off my total order..

Happy shopping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

20% off - 34786903 - Only valid for today (14/11/10)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

dotsman wrote: »
    20% off - 34786903 - Only valid for today (14/11/10)

Sweet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

This Saturday & Sunday only! Take 20% off your online order exclusively at AE.com with code 74711795

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

What are the sizes like? same as ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

shano_88 wrote: »
    What are the sizes like? same as ireland?

Ye, I find them ok. Their sizing guide on the site is quite good. They do large and large tall etc on shirts and similar.

As always though, have to prepare for customs. And they will base the duty on full prices and not sale prices

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

What % is the duty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

What % is the duty?

I cant remember, but it can be fairly pricey. An order of maybe $150 could cost you an extra €50 when the postie arrives (roughly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

What % is the duty?

It's 21% plus a handling charge (up to €12 I think), but as Davy said, that 21% will be on the original cost of the goods, before any deals or discounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭marko93

Sorry but does anyone know if their jeans have a wide leg?

• Advertisement
Advertisement