Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin West General Election - SEE MOD NOTE POST 19.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Pat Dunne wrote: »

Of course - they get published in the newspapers annually as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

For example, if you were to take the office at €600 a month for say 10 months, that's €6000 alone. As crazy as it seems, FF HQ do not pay a cent for constituency offices.
    The figures from Fingal show that Cllr McGuinness received an average of just over €24,000 per annum.

Based on these figures its safe to surmise that Cllr McGuinness has received over €100,000, in payments and expenses since 2011 to the present date from Fingal County Council for his work as a Councillor.

Which by far, exceeds any of the figures you have mentioned in your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,757 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Care to declare an interest Expectationlost? Whats the angle?

Chuck has declared his connection on many occasions.
    I'll declare that I have no connection to anyone, was just interested in politics and finding out the detail of that point.

The figures from Fingal show that Cllr McGuinness received an average of just over €24,000 per annum.

Based on these figures its safe to surmise that Cllr McGuinness has received over €100,000, in payments and expenses since 2011 to the present date from Fingal County Council for his work as a Councillor.

Which by far, exceeds any of the figures you have mentioned in your posts.

I see now the point you are making.

If you read back on my post, about an example of a constituency office, I clearly said 'as an example' to show how easily something like €8700 would be gobbled up, in the context that FF HQ agreed for it to be spent specifically on areas like that - for the first time.

Every single Councillor gets €17000 plus the €6000 expenses by default (Without question). Some go well above that. That's half the average industrial wage, although a Councillors remuneration shouldn't be considered as a wage at all, but take it as a comparison. Take tax from the base and it's lower still. You'll probably get a figure of €60,000 for four years after deductions. Some people wouldn't get out of bed for that in one year and credit to ANY Councillor, as it's a part-time money for a full time job, 7 days a week, usually on top of a full time job (although in David's case, he only went full time 18 months ago). If you do have another job, you can then almost half that €17000 in terms of tax immediately as most here will know. If I for example worked on a Saturday in my job, and I got say €300 as overtime, €150 of that is immediately gone, but good for society ;)

@Pat Dunne, while we are pointing out correctly every single Councillor gets in Fingal from the publicly available figures, gross, what would you say the cost is for example of the following - keeping in mind the figures wouldn't publicly be accessible:

(1)To have a leaflet dropped in to every house in Dublin west, but also the print that leaflet? (40,000 houses in Dublin west on average) on a quarterly basis.

(2) To sponsor any given local organisations race night or fund raiser.

(3) A set of jerseys for a sports club.

I'll declare that I have no connection to anyone, was just interested in politics and finding out the detail of that point.

Your interest is consistent expectationslost. You have questioned and queried expenses/perks and remuneration on boards.ie across the country, in Northern Ireland the republic.

Nothing wrong with that at all. Anytime I read something in the papers, I look in to it casually, particularly if it was something I wasn't aware of.

For example, the banking hour that civil servants were/are entitled to, to do their banking. It was in the news a few weeks ago and that took my interest because in my own job, if I take an hour, I have to give it back.

The only thing I would say is, sometimes when reading a paper and seeing an article such as the one that brought you here - yes question the technicalities, but also question the motivation for such an article. It was dirty and FF HQ have gone to ground since that article.

Watch Claire Byrne on Monday night ;);););););)

• Advertisement

I see now the point you are making.

If you read back on my post, about an example of a constituency office, I clearly said 'as an example' to show how easily something like €8700 would be gobbled up, in the context that FF HQ agreed for it to be spent specifically on areas like that - for the first time.

Every single Councillor gets €17000 plus the €6000 expenses by default (Without question). Some go well above that. That's half the average industrial wage, although a Councillors remuneration shouldn't be considered as a wage at all, but take it as a comparison. Take tax from the base and it's lower still. You'll probably get a figure of €60,000 for four years after deductions. Some people wouldn't get out of bed for that in one year and credit to ANY Councillor, as it's a part-time money for a full time job, 7 days a week, usually on top of a full time job (although in David's case, he only went full time 18 months ago). If you do have another job, you can then almost half that €17000 in terms of tax immediately as most here will know. If I for example worked on a Saturday in my job, and I got say €300 as overtime, €150 of that is immediately gone, but good for society ;)

@Pat Dunne, while we are pointing out correctly every single Councillor gets in Fingal from the publicly available figures, gross, what would you say the cost is for example of the following - keeping in mind the figures wouldn't publicly be accessible:

(1)To have a leaflet dropped in to every house in Dublin west, but also the print that leaflet? (40,000 houses in Dublin west on average) on a quarterly basis.

(2) To sponsor any given local organisations race night or fund raiser.

(3) A set of jerseys for a sports club.
    Based on what you are saying he was earning well above the average industrial salary when you combine these two sources of income for most of this period

Based on what you are saying he was earning well above the average industrial salary when you combine these two sources of income for most of this period.

Come on Pat, I was hoping you would give the three costs a stab, rather than the above.

The average industrial wage in 2012 was give or take, €40k gross.

All Fingal county councillors earn 17k plus 6k before deductions.

Yes if you add their day job on top, it'll exceed the average industrial wage, but anyone who does two jobs would exceed the average industrial wage. Luckily for councillors, they cannot just walk in to a councillors job, they have to go before the people.

looked into this further, someone pointed me to an amendment to the 1997 Electoral act in 1998

Electoral (Amendment) Act, 1998
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1998/en/act/pub/0004/sec0011.html#sec11
    Amendment of section 32 of Act of 1997.
    11.—Section 32 of the Act of 1997 is hereby amended—

(d) (4) Election expenses incurred pursuant to this section by a political party in a constituency in relation to a candidate at a Dáil election (including expenditure incurred in the constituency by or on behalf of the national agent of the party) shall be deemed for the purposes of section 21 to be expenses incurred by the candidate.”.
    the explaination of which at the time the Bill was debated was
    http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/1998/03/31/00019.asp
    The amendment in paragraph (d) inserts a new subsection (4) which clarifies that expenditure by a party in a constituency, including expenditure by the national agent, will be deemed to be expenditure by a candidate for the purposes of the reimbursement of the election expenses of the candidate. This will change the present position that the expenditure of a party in constituencies other than the candidate's constituency could be used by a candidate to claim recoupment of election expenditure. The new arrangement clarifies that only expenditure in the constituency can be included in the candidate's claim.
    so its about restricting expenses claims to the candidate constituency, not sure it fully clarifies that only candidates can get state reimbursements.

looked into this further, someone pointed me to an amendment to the 1997 Electoral act in 1998

Electoral (Amendment) Act, 1998
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1998/en/act/pub/0004/sec0011.html#sec11

the explaination of which at the time the Bill was debated was
    http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/1998/03/31/00019.asp
    so its about restricting expenses claims to the candidate constituency, not sure it fully clarifies that only candidates can get state reimbursements.

Could I ask if you are actually go to partake in actual discussion on this thread or if you are just going to continually post links.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95092880&postcount=221
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95092880#post95092880

Could I ask if you are actually go to partake in actual discussion on this thread or if you are just going to continually post links.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95092880&postcount=221
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95092880#post95092880

I am contributing to the discussion, I said all I could possible say in that last post, I thought it was worth following up as thats the closest I've seen of a law that states what McGuinness claims rather then what Fianna Fail claimed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

OK guys, this conversation has gone to the dogs, it's supposed to be about an upcoming election, not the minutiae of rules around expenses. If you want to discuss that topic then the D15 forum is not the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

i was soo about to unsubscribe. <SNIP>

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Name-calling/personal abuse is not on either

So back to the election, all candidates are getting active again and competing for exposure.

Rodric O'Gormon has public meeting posters up in the village,
    Donnelly has 'housing is a human right' posters up on polls.
    Coppinger is in the journal today asking customs to turn a blind eye to abortion pills.
    Varadkar is promoting areas of good news from government.
    Joan is also trying this but was verbally abused at Clonsilla train station this morning.
    McGuinness is taking part in a charity in Clonee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

There was an initial spurt of interest in the Navan Road before Christmas but there hasn't been leaflets in for a while.

Well Roderic had some Referendum leaflets last week, but that's it I think..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Murt10

Seen Mickey Martin on the news this evening and being questioned about Avril Powers decision to jump ship. He started extolling the virtues of Jack Chambers and how we would be hearing much more about him later.

He really must not have thought that Mc Guinness would jump ship and run as an independent.

Must be sick as a pig. lol Good enough for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

I thought Jack Chambers' lack of interest in canvassing for the Yes vote was conspicuous, he'd have gone to the opening of a crisp bag for publicity prior to this.

In fairness the others across party lines did seem to work hard for it especially Roderic O'Gorman, Leo Varradkar, TJ Clare, Ted Leddy, John Walsh, Joan Burton.

Not a Labour fan but sorry to hear of Joan Burton getting verbal abuse at Clonsilla station particularly when the canvass was for a positive cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Apparently Chambers was canvassing in Clonsilla last week but for himself as a general election candidate and didn't mention the referendum at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,827 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

athtrasna wrote: »
    Apparently Chambers was canvassing in Clonsilla last week but for himself as a general election candidate and didn't mention the referendum at all.

Towing the party line so.

I think Averil Power made an error accepting live interviews last night after the day of recriminations, she was definitely upset by the days battle and she is normally very confident.

I think the events of Bob Aylward in and Averil out will throw Fianna Fails lack of diversity and age profile into sharp relief. Added to that the McGuinness issue locally, I would say Chambers is starting from a very low mark and I wouldnt give him a chance personally.

FF is a series of groupings, almost like franchises. They operate on their own, individually, under umbrella of FF.

When David left the party, himself and herself were in an RTE audience with Claire Byrne, and where David slammed the party for a lot of the reasons Averil mentioned yesterday, she disagreed with David.

What you can say when you are inside the tent, is different that what you can say when you are outside of it.

I think she'll do very as an independent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

I see that the likes of Martin Manseragh, Sean Haughey are sniffing around a nomination plus the likes of Aylward & Hanafin who have already resurrected themselves really make the argument that it's the same old FF.

I too wouldn't give Chambers much of a chance against that background.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Heard odds given by paddy power for an election this year are 10/11. Odds are a snap elect after the budget in October

FF is a series of groupings, almost like franchises. They operate on their own, individually, under umbrella of FF.

When David left the party, himself and herself were in an RTE audience with Claire Byrne, and where David slammed the party for a lot of the reasons Averil mentioned yesterday, she disagreed with David.

What you can say when you are inside the tent, is different that what you can say when you are outside of it.

I think she'll do very as an independent.

what date was this ? not this one, not the debate on FF's future http://www.rte.ie/news/player/claire-byrne-live-web/2015/0420/
    here he is a 27 minutes

don't see power there, who is 'herself'?

what date was this ? not this one, not the debate on FF's future http://www.rte.ie/news/player/claire-byrne-live-web/2015/0420/
    here he is a 27 minutes

don't see power there, who is 'herself'?

My apologies, it was actually on Sean O'Rourke.

In regard to the point I made, listen from about 12 minutes on and you hear the position Averil has in regard to FF.

That's two days after St Patrick's day. You would never have believed she was thinking of leaving the party. My point being being - what you can say and what you cannot say depends on whether you are in side or outside the tent.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A20746218%3A0%3A%3A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I see McGuinness has joined the Independent Alliance.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I see McGuinness has joined the Independent Alliance.

Fighting the Empire and the Dark Side?

Who else is in the Independent Alliance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's a bit of a mish mash of independents, most notable would be Shane Ross and Fergal Quinn, and Paul Gogarty of the unparliamentary language outburst in the dail that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,827 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It's ironic, you need the clout of a technical grouping to assert your independence. I think McGuinness has made a good choice, he will get something of a reflected boost from some of the other Alliance members as they speak during the campaign.

However, they will not be allowed onto the ballot as 'Independent Alliance' or even 'Independent', the rules mean they will have to contest as 'Non-Party'

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Aligning himself with Shane Ross may not go down well in the working class areas where McGuinness is strongest. It seems like a risky move. I'm not so sure he had a chance anyway - he may be happy just to beat Chambers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Yeah, not overly pleased to see him aligning with Ross myself, although having had a look to see who else is in the group it does very much seem to be a marriage of convenience for all concerned so that they can get some speaking time in the Dáil.

Advertisement