Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 HD Testing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

tv3 hd is now testing with audio and video looks much better even though its ireland am upscaled

I cant imagine TV3 going full HD or anywhere near it. Obviously I hope im wrong. For the user tho it will be a good thing as even an upscaled picture is an improvment and any improvement over their SD picture is welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Hadn't got the change to watch tv3 hd as i have only come acress this thread but i was watching tv3 sd one day last week when they were in studio and the quality was terrible, This was on sky 103,

It was almost that blurry it made martin kings shirt look good...:P

But in all seriousness, Would tv3 or sky ever scale down the SD to get more HD buyers?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It is more likely that TV3 would muddy their PQ to reduce the charges from 2RN as charges are based on bandwidth and muddy picture use less bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Just gettng the upgrade screen here (with Irish HD sub).

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

With no tv3 hd on saorview, they are only wasting their time and money, tv3 just proved they are not a serious broadcaster, can they not come to any agreement with 2rn or whoever it is. The audience for hd on sky and UPC will be small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 MadSham

Looks like TV3 have missed an opportunity to make the most of their RWC 2015 rights by been only available to Sky HD subscribers, UTV HD it will have to be for me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It is the Minister or Comreg that needs to change the ground rules for Saorview, and it is all of TV3's making.

2RN get €12m per year to run 2 muxes, irrespective of the content. The cost is raised from the broadcasters based on their bandwidth use, unused bandwidth is ignored. That is the agreement - end of.

This needs to be changed. RTE could fit into one mux. So the second mux, that can run 3 HD channels and a few SD channels, would cost €6m which divided up would be €1.6m per HD channel with the 2 SD channels working out at €600k each.

Currently, it costs €800k per SD channel, and it used to cost €3m per analogue channel. So what is the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Im not paying €15 extra a month to watch Tv3 HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It would be madness to expect anybody to. Their big selling point is the rugby world cup and that is FTA and HD for anybody who wants it.

mikeym wrote: »
    Im not paying €15 extra a month to watch Tv3 HD.

I don't understand how SKY get away with charging a premium for us Irish customers for terrestrial HD channels, when our friends up the North get these included on a basic package. UTV Ireland HD and TV3 Hd should be free on a basic, wasn't Sky trying to charge for RTE 2Hd when it first came on Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

obezyana wrote: »
    I cant imagine TV3 going full HD or anywhere near it. Obviously I hope im wrong. For the user tho it will be a good thing as even an upscaled picture is an improvment and any improvement over their SD picture is welcome :)

TV3 have been banging on in every press release about their Sony HD studio - while broadcasting in SD since day 1 - so in a few weeks time we'll be able to see their programming in HD finally

TV3 have been banging on in every press release about their Sony HD studio - while broadcasting in SD since day 1 - so in a few weeks time we'll be able to see their programming in HD finally

But only if you pay Sky!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

If TV3 put HD behind the paywall then a few of us from here will have to lodge official complaints with the BAI... they draw down money from the BAI Sound and Vision Fund (we pay into this) and if UTV or TV3 don't broadcast in the clear for these they will be breaking the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,847 ✭✭✭✭muffler

irishfeen wrote: »
    If TV3 put HD behind the paywall then a few of us from here will have to lodge official complaints with the BAI... they draw down money from the BAI Sound and Vision Fund (we pay into this) and if UTV or TV3 don't broadcast in the clear for these they will be breaking the rules.
    Once they broadcast in the first instance i.e. in sd then thats them covered. HD is an expensive, non essential luxury that does not fall within any BAI scheme

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

muffler wrote: »
    Once they broadcast in the first instance i.e. in sd then thats them covered. HD is an expensive, non essential luxury that does not fall within any BAI scheme

But don't TV3 have the only state of the art HD recirding studios in the country?

Or did I pick it up wrong?

I would imagine that is very much a grey area... I think any attempt to prevent people from watching might upset the BAI ... they are drawing down our money to make these shows in HD!

I would imagine that is very much a grey area... I think any attempt to prevent people from watching might upset the BAI ... they are drawing down our money to make these shows in HD!
    They get some money from the BAI for producing and broadcasting "Irish" content and there's no mention of either SD or HD that Im aware of. If that (HD) was conditional on drawing down funds then it would have been sorted a long time ago.

In saying all that id love to see every channel in HD but I dont believe TV3 are doing anything wrong...morally perhaps they are, but not legally.

But don't TV3 have the only state of the art HD recirding studios in the country?

No idea tbh.

They get some money from the BAI for producing and broadcasting "Irish" content and there's no mention of either SD or HD that Im aware of. If that (HD) was conditional on drawing down funds then it would have been sorted a long time ago.

In saying all that id love to see every channel in HD but I dont believe TV3 are doing anything wrong...morally perhaps they are, but not legally.
    If or when UTVI/TV3 ever try this I will certainly get clarification from the BAI.. I would imagine there is more then enough grounds for an official complain if it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

So if all you have is Saorview, you won't have the World Cup in HD.

That's a pity - I know a lot of people who were looking forward to not having to watch TV3 in their disgraceful SD PQ.

• Advertisement

So if all you have is Saorview, you won't have the World Cup in HD.

That's a pity - I know a lot of people who were looking forward to not having to watch TV3 in their disgraceful SD PQ.
    If they expect people to pay an extra €15 on top of an entertainment pack to watch in HD its as disgraceful...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

RTE has been gradually upgrading their studios over the past few years. At this stage the majority of their studio content is or look HD quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Jpmarn wrote: »
    RTE has been gradually upgrading their studios over the past few years. At this stage the majority of their studio content is or look HD quality.

RTE is HD on both channels now?

What has that got to do with TV3?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

If they expect people to pay an extra €15 on top of an entertainment pack to watch in HD its as disgraceful...

Why would people have to pay €15 for Saorview that charges nothing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Can someone point me to the link where it says that TV3 hd will only be available with the HD pack.

Just gettng the upgrade screen here (with Irish HD sub).

This is the post I seen yesterday.

Can someone point me to the link where it says that TV3 hd will only be available with the HD pack.

Just reposted the text I seen yesterday, that's all I've got to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

I have sky and HD sub so is channel 103 now HD or do I need to tune it in through other channels ?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

hatchman wrote: »
    I have sky and HD sub so is channel 103 now HD or do I need to tune it in through other channels ?

No you don't have to do anything. It will appear on your tv guide when they go live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

But from other posters here said they are able to view some programs already in HD on TV3 ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement