Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bumper Accomodation Thread *Put ALL Accomodation queries here*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 UCCmed09

deisedude wrote: »
    Just because he/she has Med in their username doesnt mean he/she is bragging. If he/she had a username like UCCCommerce09 or UCCArts09 would you be asking the same question? I think not

thanks haha!sorry that wasnt intentional anyway...i just couldnt think of a username and i kinda had that on the brain...no bragging in it at all!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

UCCmed09 wrote: »
    thanks haha!sorry that wasnt intentional anyway...i just couldnt think of a username and i kinda had that on the brain...no bragging in it at all!!!

Why would you brag about arts or commerce anyway!!

It does come across a little pretentious tho!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 UCCmed09

Why would you brag about arts or commerce anyway!!

It does come across a little pretentious tho!!:p

well i apologise in that case..like i said it wasnt meant and im not pretentious...i hope lol!

is it ok to brag bout UCC itself though?;)i loved it there last year...and back in vic mills again whoop!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

If there's any spaces left, I'd really recommend Abbey Wharf. I lived in the one on North Mall for three years. The location is brilliant. You literally fall out the door of a pub/club and walk home in 5/10 mins. Brilliant!! No need for a taxi - ever. Just to prove that, a few of us got a taxi back one night from patrick street and it took twice as long as walking. And the walkway along the river makes the walk to college really easy. Basically no crossing roads at all because of the walkway so you can almost sleep-walk to college! :D (You'd guess by my enthusiasm for that little feature that crossing roads is very demanding on my mind, and you'd be right.:rolleyes:) The caretaker can be a bit cranky at times but he's easily brought around again. And I have never known anyone to not get their deposit back. No matter what state you leave the place in, you'll get it back. There's a washer/dryer in each apartment and you don't pay for electricity at all. I swear I'm not on commission for this place! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 G1987

I think its worth pointing out that I am about to start my third year in Victoria Station. My apartment is the MASSIVE (and I mean MASSIVE) one on the second floor with the big curve glass window facing towards Vic Mills, Blackwater Motors garage.

Dampness is a problem in some apartments but not all.
    Security is relatively lax but then there isn't really a need for 24/7 surveillane (with the exception of cameras). Everyone in the complex seems to actually be rather mature and security do respond fast if problems arise.

If you have a pair of balls between your legs you won't let any management company talk down to you.
    We've had our issues (like everyone else) and we've gotten results. Immediately. Understand when to stand up for yourself and don't let anyone push you around. Let them know you understand your rights (mention you know some in the PRTB). If you don't know your rights pretend you do. By the end of my first year, management learned we weren't fools that could be fobbed off with lame excuses.

You are entitled to decent living accommodation, so make sure you get it.

Welcome to adulthood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

number10a wrote: »
    If there's any spaces left, I'd really recommend Abbey Wharf. I lived in the one on North Mall for three years. The location is brilliant. You literally fall out the door of a pub/club and walk home in 5/10 mins. Brilliant!! No need for a taxi - ever. Just to prove that, a few of us got a taxi back one night from patrick street and it took twice as long as walking. And the walkway along the river makes the walk to college really easy.
    Well i'm going to disagree with you about that location. I'm going into second year arts in UCC and lived in an apartment over The Franciscan Well Brewery on North Mall for 3 months last year. I found it very quiet and too far away from the student life. Ok the pub was good craic but from a student point of view it was just too quiet an area. I was also paying ?400 monthly, which when you're a student is a tad excessive. Unless you can get a group of 4 or 5 students together, i wouldn't recommend it at all. And if you have a car, like i did, you can definitely forget about it. It will take you so much hassle and time to get a parking permit, and when you do, you'll find it extremely difficult to get parking there. It used to infuriate me. I'd often have to park across the river at the back of the Mercy, which was not good! And so inconvenient. Yes the walk to college was tranquill and scenic but thats about the only good thing about that location. I wouldn't recommend North Mall or Abbey Wharf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 corkhurler

grenache wrote: »
    Well i'm going to disagree with you about that location. I'm going into second year arts in UCC and lived in an apartment over The Franciscan Well Brewery on North Mall for 3 months last year. I found it very quiet and too far away from the student life. Ok the pub was good craic but from a student point of view it was just too quiet an area. I was also paying ?400 monthly, which when you're a student is a tad excessive. Unless you can get a group of 4 or 5 students together, i wouldn't recommend it at all. And if you have a car, like i did, you can definitely forget about it. It will take you so much hassle and time to get a parking permit, and when you do, you'll find it extremely difficult to get parking there. It used to infuriate me. I'd often have to park across the river at the back of the Mercy, which was not good! And so inconvenient. Yes the walk to college was tranquill and scenic but thats about the only good thing about that location. I wouldn't recommend North Mall or Abbey Wharf.

I agree with you there on North Mall as i wouldn't recommended it. The main problem with North Mall is the building which has dampness in some areas as it's very old building. The landlord has to put inside the humifiers to dry up the place. Some of us got bad coughings which stemmed from the building itself. When i went home as the Cough diappeared !!.

It's also very pricey with a lot of add ons such as Deposits, ESB deposits along with security deposit. At the end of the year, you may get refunds from the landlord if not used often.

Yes. it's a very quiet place to walk by day or night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PodgeMac73

Goin into first year now and staying in Castlewhite. Just one question...
    Does it deserve the name Castle****e?!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 G1987

The non-freak-you-out answer is no.

The true answer is yes.

(But much depends on who you are living with etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Deucemc

PodgeMac73 wrote: »
    Goin into first year now and staying in Castlewhite. Just one question...
    Does it deserve the name Castle****e?!

kind of, but not really. it did have a terrible name, dampness and all that, but seriously its ideal for freshers, soo close to college, full of first years so its loads of ye all in the same boat and shur ye shud be too drunk/hungover to notice the damp......anyway im fairly sure they did up the apartments recently so ye should be flyin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

Most of the complex was closed for the entire Summer for refurbishments so it won't be as bad as people say it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Hiya

Anyone whose stayed in or staying Victoria Mills, is it as good as is generally said? Any negatives? Can you P2P? Is the sound insulation as good as they claim and are the deluxe rooms worth the extra?

Any info much appreciated!

Cheers

Max :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Not sure about Victoria Mills Max001 but have a look at these threads, you may find something:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055047166&highlight=Accomodation

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055456740&highlight=Accomodation

Also you can use the search function to drag up some information.

Not sure about Victoria Mills Max001 but have a look at these threads, you may find something:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055047166&highlight=Accomodation

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055456740&highlight=Accomodation

Also you can use the search function to drag up some information.

Cheers RC.....done all that and read everything on the UCC forum, but seeking something more up to date and/or info on my specific queries.

I'm sure someone on this forum has been there and will help ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Nova_era

My mate lived there last year so I spent some time there and; I was jealous each time I visited!

It's really cool, calling it Student Accomodation is nearly an injustice, you'd probably have a hard time finding apartments as cool in the city centre. The walls were pretty thick (I know as we used blast out music!), and the living space was pretty big.

All I can't understand is why you're looking for accomodation pretty much in November, but either way go for it.

Cheers Nova

Reason is, am a postgrad and thinkin of going into
    halls to complete my course next year, to save money.

Max

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samf

If saving money is your reason for looking into student accomodation then keep in mind that student accom halls are generally a lot more expensive than houses, and that vic mills is as far as i know one of the more expensive places also.

Houses are generally the cheapest way to go.

samf wrote: »
    If saving money is your reason for looking into student accomodation then keep in mind that student accom halls are generally a lot more expensive than houses, and that vic mills is as far as i know one of the more expensive places also.

Houses are generally the cheapest way to go.

Thanks. I wanna save money, but not slum it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Vic mills is the most expensive place in cork, student accommodation-wise, it's six grand. You'd do much better to get a house, it's way cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Benhonan

I'd recommend University Hall to be honest - it's a lot nicer than the Mills all round, although I did choose to live in the Mills last year, that was a social decision more than anything. The craic there is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭brazilicious

i live there and its class, no major complaints anyway....rooms fairly soundproof, balconys the handiest thing ever, as is the lift!! em, its good like yeah...dunno, what else ya wonderin about??

Max001 wrote: »
    Thanks. I wanna save money, but not slum it :D

You'd save money by finding a good house. Then you wouldn't be 'slumming' it.

i live there and its class, no major complaints anyway....rooms fairly soundproof, balconys the handiest thing ever, as is the lift!! em, its good like yeah...dunno, what else ya wonderin about??

How much are you paying a week there out of interest?

Actually just checked the site for the prices - http://www.victoriamills.ie/ucc-student-accommodation-prices.html, €5070 for 9months (sept 1st - june 1st), thats €563 a month, which is over €140 a week, insane prices! Im in a double room in a really modern house, just as close to college, has broadband, 3 bathrooms, dishwasher, and only €85 a week.

Edit: Does anyone know the name of the new halls across from faranalea with the tesco express underneath it?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

Benhonan wrote: »
    I'd recommend University Hall to be honest - it's a lot nicer than the Mills all round, although I did choose to live in the Mills last year, that was a social decision more than anything. The craic there is great.

i am pretty sure first years cant live thereand the waiting list pretty insane from what i heard. but can someone confirm this, im not completeyly sure.?
    samf wrote: »
    Actually just checked the site for the prices - http://www.victoriamills.ie/ucc-student-accommodation-prices.html, €5070 for 9months (sept 1st - june 1st), thats €563 a month, which is over €140 a week, insane prices! Im in a double room in a really modern house, just as close to college, has broadband, 3 bathrooms, dishwasher, and only €85 a week.

Edit: Does anyone know the name of the new halls across from faranalea with the tesco express underneath it?

that is absolutely insane.... i pay 90 a week and am literally a 10 second walk form campus! houses are the way to go.......!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Woah,Digs are expensive!For €6 a month more I could of went to vic mills :/

Fair points all round and thanks for all the comments. I've been working for the past several years and don't really know anyone else intending to return to full-time ed as a postgrad, so a house share is problematic, maybe. Orchard Gardens is the name of the apartments at Dennehys Cross. UCC accommodation have added them to their website, but the rates they're quoting are at least as much as for a private 'share' I reckon.

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Woah,Digs are expensive!For €6 a month more I could of went to vic mills :/

Wow. :eek:

I don't know much about it but what are the advantages?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Wow. :eek:

I don't know much about it but what are the advantages?

Dinner at night,That is about it :pac:

Advertisement