Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edision Optimuss OS 3 Plus

Options
  • 04-01-2015 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hello,

There is an Irish supplier called freetv.ie who are advertising a box to receive the free UK channels on satellite and the Saorview channels with the option of adding a 2.5 inch SATA drive for recording. It is called Edision Optimuss OS 3 Plus. A lot of searching reveals that it may be used in Germany but not a lot in Ireland.
    Does anyone know if this is as good as it sounds. I'd love to replace Sky with a no bills option but I'd like to be able to watch what I want when I want.
    Thanks,
    Pat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭swoofer

thats a good make, I have an edision 2 in 1 mini and its tops but I did load otehr software. For that money its worth a punt. The option is for a usb HDD and not an internal HDD.

Bear in mind if you are recording say BBC1 on satellite you wll only be able to watch sat channels that are on same transponder. With saorview if you record rte1 say you can watch all the others or a channel on satellite. The best option is to get a box with twin sat tuners and dtt but cost goes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

swoofer wrote: »
    Bear in mind if you are recording say BBC1 on satellite you wll only be able to watch sat channels that are on same transponder. With saorview if you record rte1 say you can watch all the others or a channel on satellite. The best option is to get a box with twin sat tuners and dtt but cost goes up.

The box mentioned in the OP does have twin satellite tuners, & a single terrestrial.

So, with both sat. tuners connected to their own LNB output, it will be possible to view any other sat. channel while recording a satellite or Saorview channel.

OTOH, while recording Saorview, it will only be possible to view another Saorview service on the same multiplex. (Or any satellite service, of course.)

And the specs. do mention '1 x internal SATA for 2.5" HDD': you must have been looking at a different receiver entirely?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

worth noting that the same supplier has a receiver with 2 satellite tuners and saorview for roughly half the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hackery

I think it is just a facility to add an internal HDD.

Im also interested in a proper PVR with Saorview and Freesat.

On Freetv.ie the Edision™ Optimuss OS 3 Plus now comes with a HDD included. Up to 1TB.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

The main difference in this box and an Sab Triple Tuner , Amiko Triple Tuner is

The processor :
    1.3GHz Broadcom Mips processor (BCM 7356)

Versus

STi7162 450MHz CPU

Also there is 1Gig RAM /256 Nand Ram compared to 256Mb shared over Spark and E@ on the STi boxes , this a pretty big jump also

With Enigma2 boxes this is a huge performance jump and make it a lot more stable than the STI Chipset boxes

The integrated HD is a better option as I was always having issues with external HD drives not kicking in or messing up recordings , EPG downloads etc etc

Most plungins had to be ported over to the STi SH4 chipset where they are native to the Broadcom Chipset

Ive done testing on both (For TV Trade / Freetv.ie) and can honestly say the OS3+ Pees all over the other E2 STi Chipset boxes

The VFD Display on the Front of the Amiko is the best of them all

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

swoofer wrote: »
    thats a good make, I have an edision 2 in 1 mini and its tops but I did load otehr software. For that money its worth a punt. The option is for a usb HDD and not an internal HDD.

Box has 3 Tuners , Like the SAB and Amiko Triple

So you can watch one Sat and Record another , also whilst recording a Saorview channel and all with 7 Day EPG !

@pistolpetes11 would you recommend the Edision Optimuss OS 3 Plus? Want to be sure before i splash out a lot of money on it. If i was to get it i'd like to include the internal HD (1TB).

Thanks

Hackery wrote: »
    @pistolpetes11 would you recommend the Edision Optimuss OS 3 Plus? Want to be sure before i splash out a lot of money on it. If i was to get it i'd like to include the internal HD (1TB).

Thanks

I like it a lot, but having a few small issues making a good backup image ,

I would say come the end of the month it should be ironed out and would have no problem recommending the box

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Actually looking at the various options, as looking to cancel sky at the moment and I'm drawn to this box due to the extra umph it will offer over other triple boxes. Seems well spec'd and would hope it would run a lot smoother than others.

Trying to get info for running it using a wifi dongle as it won't be easy getting a direct connection to it, anybody any experience with this.

Have emailed Edision direct and waiting a response.

THE ALM wrote: »
    Actually looking at the various options, as looking to cancel sky at the moment and I'm drawn to this box due to the extra umph it will offer over other triple boxes. Seems well spec'd and would hope it would run a lot smoother than others.

Trying to get info for running it using a wifi dongle as it won't be easy getting a direct connection to it, anybody any experience with this.

Have emailed Edision direct and waiting a response.

As Its a linux box , it will run with most of the Wifi sticks on the market , again its dependent on what image you are running be it Open ATV , VIX , PLI

Thanks pistolpetes, was thinking that that would probably be the case and I'll most likely get it ordered this week.

I think open atv is the image loaded as standard looking at the edision website

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bezuhov

Hi all
    Am considering purchase of Edision optimuss os3, but am wondering about ability to play back files recorded using Xoro and Technomate receivers. Would these be compatible with os3 media player ?
    Would be grateful for any info on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Old Jim

Newbie question but what happens when no network connection is present to these Linux boxes? Will they still operate or is it that they operate with lower functionality?

Have being running the box for a while now and have to say Im very pleased , using the internal hard drive is the way to go on this one ,

To the question about the network connection , I think its only really oscam that won't work and software updates ( but they can be done via USB stick ) there is a weather app built in and that won't update either .

All in all a lot more stable than the Sab / Amiko Triple and a lot lot more powerful , very quick boot time , beautiful HD picture and very good SD ,

Going to try Kodi Direct on it over the next few days as was not impressed with TS media ( Not impressed with it on any box to be honest )

Bezuhov wrote: »
    Hi all
    Am considering purchase of Edision optimuss os3, but am wondering about ability to play back files recorded using Xoro and Technomate receivers. Would these be compatible with os3 media player ?
    Would be grateful for any info on this.

If you want to throw one up onto a dropbox link I can test for you

Took delivery of this box last week so haven't had time to play around with it much, waiting to add a hard drive and get the saorview aerial mounted.

Is my first linux box so no experience with them, but impressed so far. Temporarily connected the satellite feeds, picture is sharp and loads up quick.

Added a cheap wifi dongle I had lying around and got this connected without any problems and loaded the kodi direct plugins which seems to work ok.

Will have to spend a bit of time getting it set up to my liking but expect that my sky will be gone soon.

As it is my first combi box what are the must have plugins, or any advice on setting it up?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 el madrigal

pistolpetes i need to do something on this box and you may have already done it. could i send you a question by PM?

THE ALM wrote: »
    Took delivery of this box last week so haven't had time to play around with it much, waiting to add a hard drive and get the saorview aerial mounted.

Is my first linux box so no experience with them, but impressed so far. Temporarily connected the satellite feeds, picture is sharp and loads up quick.

Added a cheap wifi dongle I had lying around and got this connected without any problems and loaded the kodi direct plugins which seems to work ok.

Will have to spend a bit of time getting it set up to my liking but expect that my sky will be gone soon.

As it is my first combi box what are the must have plugins, or any advice on setting it up?:)

I have done up a pretty decent image for this box ,

If you have a HD installed use this dropbox link

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zpsl2sj51bp6p6r/AABeMEoASqsVF0SnawJvt45ua?dl=0

If you don't have a HD installed then use this link

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f65r8q36hus46ds/AAAnso6yHyjZ0YGjlpK09aK-a?dl=0

This box is a lot more simple to update , than a SAB or Amiko Triple
    1. Download the File from the DB link
    2. Put the update folder onto the root of the stick
    3. Power the box off and plug in the USB
    4. The Box will detect the new FW , to load it onto the box press the Channel - button on the front of the box , I think you have 10-15 seconds to load this or it will just boot as normal
    5. When its done , it will tell you to remove the USB stick and boot up again

I have made up these images for freetv.ie so their logo is in the boot logo but that can be easily changed by converting an image into a MVI and calling it bootlogo , FTP into the box and replace the bootlogo file in USR / Share

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 mrbloop

Is there a Hyperion image available for this receiver?

mrbloop wrote: »
    Is there a Hyperion image available for this receiver?

Yeah but Ive only used Open ATV on it myself , its the one Im most familiar with .

If I get time over the next week or two Il try build one on 4.5

I have done up a pretty decent image for this box ,

If you have a HD installed use this dropbox link

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zpsl2sj51bp6p6r/AABeMEoASqsVF0SnawJvt45ua?dl=0

If you don't have a HD installed then use this link

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f65r8q36hus46ds/AAAnso6yHyjZ0YGjlpK09aK-a?dl=0

This box is a lot more simple to update , than a SAB or Amiko Triple
    1. Download the File from the DB link
    2. Put the update folder onto the root of the stick
    3. Power the box off and plug in the USB
    4. The Box will detect the new FW , to load it onto the box press the Channel - button on the front of the box , I think you have 10-15 seconds to load this or it will just boot as normal
    5. When its done , it will tell you to remove the USB stick and boot up again

I have made up these images for freetv.ie so their logo is in the boot logo but that can be easily changed by converting an image into a MVI and calling it bootlogo , FTP into the box and replace the bootlogo file in USR / Share

Thanks for those.

Did flash the freetv image on to the box, all loaded no problems.

When I have an HD installed I'll load the one you have provided.

Funnily enough I was looking at replacing the bootlogo so that is great to know, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mrbloop

Yeah but Ive only used Open ATV on it myself , its the one Im most familiar with .

If I get time over the next week or two Il try build one on 4.5

Cool. I don't have this box (yet). I might possibly upgrade from the Amiko Alien 2.

pistolpete

Is there a size, resolution limitation for the bootlogo image?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Zardoz

The Edision Optimuss OS 3 Plus looks very similar to the Technomate Nano 3T in both looks and specification .
    Are they the same unit under the hood ?

OpenWebif is a great feature :-)

Zardoz wrote: »
    The Edision Optimuss OS 3 Plus looks very similar to the Technomate Nano 3T in both looks and specification .
    Are they the same unit under the hood ?

Looks the same alright, the Edision is a bit cheaper though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Looks the same alright, the Edision is a bit cheaper though

Its a good price at 255 euro if its the same unit
    All in all a lot more stable than the Sab / Amiko Triple and a lot lot more powerful , very quick boot time , beautiful HD picture and very good SD ,

How does the SD picture quality compare to the Alien 2 ,which has the best SD picture quality I have seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Selhurst

Hello I wonder what's the difference between
    3 Plus and 2 plus
    Or is their a 2 plus box.
    I Though I saw a 2 plus on line some where.

Advertisement