Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Germans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Are we in 1933 or 2012? :eek:

how often do you hear 'you're not irish' in this country if someone does not 'look' Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nodin wrote: »
    Until 2000, then they changed the law.

Cheers, I thought it was certainly the case at some point, not the kind of thing I inquire about very often.

Stereotypes, which are not helpful at all, at least there is not that much negativity about the Irish in Germany ;)

The irish buy property and rent it out, jacking up the rent and investing as little as possible in the property.

the Irish students in Munich used to rent a flat sub let it several times and trash the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Fuinseog wrote: »
    how often do you hear 'you're not irish' in this country if someone does not 'look' Irish?

Every day, the in-laws, you know ;)

And yes, I am too mean to buy a house, am rather renting one kip after the next :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 polskafanka

poles are disliked along the border. I believe an advertising slogan used to be -

'come to Poland, your car is already there'.

do all poles steal cars? hardly, but there is no smoke without fire.
    its gas, the french hate the Germans the Germans hate the poles the Poles hate the Russians. perhaps a thread on how Poles themselves hate other nationalities would be apt?

Sure, I was just talking about my own experience which was what it was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

If I had to live in another country, I'd pick germany. I've been there 4 of 5 times and loved it. I find the people are really sound, just takes a little longer for them to become informal than in ireland. If you think germans don't have a sense of humour you're reading The Sun too much and you probably call French people "frogs".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Paparazzo wrote: »
    If I had to live in another country, I'd pick germany. I've been there 4 of 5 times and loved it. I find the people are really sound, just takes a little longer for them to become informal than in ireland. If you think germans don't have a sense of humour you're reading The Sun too much and you probably call French people "frogs".

if you have only read the sun once.....that is far too much...

the herald....the paper that the sun replaced, was a great paper....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

Germans ... they haven't changed.

The following video is from 2008 (not the 1930/40s). Notice the burning torches, the music, the helmets that look awfully like the Wehrmacht Stahlhelm, the uniform, etc.:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 polskafanka

Some parts of Germany are a bit...let's think about the right word...fussy, others are more easy going. I am from Dortmund, and I would rate my home town into the second category :)

Hmmm, what about Koeln? I was there learning german and working - right in the middle of the city, near University. Unfortunately can't tell people were too friendly there.

ps: oh, but my absolutely favorite writer is german -he is/was genius - Erich Maria Remarque - I just love his books and Thomas Mann books too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Pedant wrote: »

The following video is from 2008:

not funny

Johro wrote: »

Dylan Moron doesn't know what he's talking about.. Germany is a cool place.

CamperMan wrote: »
    not funny

Nein! Das ist very funny.

It's a comedy routine. It's supposed to be a laugh, i.e. not serious. Don't be so german :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Johro wrote: »
    It's a comedy routine. It's supposed to be a laugh, i.e. not serious. Don't be so german :D

german soldiers had a sense of humour....

after the d day invasion....if they heard a plane...they looked up....

if the plane was silver ..they said, american

if the plane was painted, they said, english

if the sky was empty.......the said in a loud voice...luftwaffe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

I have a german worker who when started used to pull the pencil out of my hand......and noticed that they werent very engaging in social interaction of any type. I recently went abroad and found a lot of germans on a bus who were constantly yapping away...their leader looked the image of Merkel and dressed and spoke like her, persistently smiling...and when the replacement bus arrived..they hopped on board and took the entire seating...:eek:

"You have absolutely no sense of humour, do you!"

biko wrote: »
    I prefer The Dutch.
    \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

i like his sense of humour and that particular acene, so does my other half who happens to be german. i find the germans pretty ok, very direct which many people mistake for rudeness and the fact is, if you are direct with them, they don't take offence and will respect you. the most effective way of handling them is when you want to say no, just say it and they're ok with that while let's say the irish will try finding all possible ways to work around it because it is considered polite. in germany it would be considered dishonesty.

ye.. I have a great sense of humour

• Advertisement

ye.. I have a great sense of humour
    Clearly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

I work in tourism and I rate them tops in terms of friendliness, respectfulness and well travelledness :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

Let me mention something about the Turkish community in Germany.

Most of them are very well integrated into society indeed, as they live in Germany for a good while. The majority of them came to the country, when many German men were serving as POWs all over Europe after the 2nd World War, and they worked hard enough to earn some money for their families, who still had to join them.

[...]

the main waves of labour migrants (not only from turkey) came to germany in the late 50s and 60s and later, so well after the last pows had returned home and the tidying-up and rebuilding as such had been finished…they came because the booming german economy needed more workers and looking for a better life than they had in their generally very poor home countries…

G Luxel wrote: »
    I have a german worker who when started used to pull the pencil out of my hand......and noticed that they werent very engaging in social interaction of any type. I recently went abroad and found a lot of germans on a bus who were constantly yapping away...their leader looked the image of Merkel and dressed and spoke like her, persistently smiling...and when the replacement bus arrived..they hopped on board and took the entire seating...:eek:

I have noticed some Germans can only talk about work and you never get any personal info out of them, but I guess they only open up when they know you. they are definitely less superficial than the irish.

a tour group of any nationality will do that. they have paid for their holiday and expect everyone to bow down to them.

Wurzelbert wrote: »
    the main waves of labour migrants (not only from turkey) came to germany in the late 50s and 60s and later, so well after the last pows had returned home and the tidying-up and rebuilding as such had been finished…they came because the booming german economy needed more workers and looking for a better life than they had in their generally very poor home countries…

germany needed workers in the 1960 and instead people came.

CommanderC wrote: »
    I work in tourism and I rate them tops in terms of friendliness, respectfulness and well travelledness :)

depends on who you encounter. i have met them when they were rude and arrogant and demanding, in which case i put them in their place. Der Kunde ist König aber nur wenn er sich königlich benimmt.

depends on who you encounter. i have met them when they were rude and arrogant and demanding, in which case i put them in their place. Der Kunde ist König aber nur wenn er sich königlich benimmt.

May I ask, do you work in tourism or retail?

May I ask, do you work in tourism or retail?

both, why?

both, why?

I was just curious ;)

Anyway, I guess, you know, that every country has his reputation, when it comes to holidays? Germans putting towels on the beach-chairs? The French being like dirtbags? The Irish drinking their heads off? The Dutch, travelling in caravans and blocking the roads? The Chinese, spending all day long taking pictures?

Sometimes, it's only a small minority misbehaving, but once, the damage is done, there's no easy way back, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

The following video is from 2008 (not the 1930/40s). Notice the burning torches, the music, the helmets that look awfully like the Wehrmacht Stahlhelm, the uniform, etc.:
    There's a big difference between the "lads" in the 30's and 40's looking German, which is fairly understandable, and the Germans looking like the lads from the 30's and 40's. ;)

Advertisement